Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 14 2014, 9:30pm

Post #451 of 666 (105772 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Take off your shoes and stay a while!

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 14 2014, 9:33pm

Post #452 of 666 (106987 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, that's the plan :) [In reply to] Can't Post

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Feb 14 2014, 9:34pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 14 2014, 10:16pm

Post #453 of 666 (109094 views)
Shortcut
Glad to have you here, Blackfox! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have me curious (well, it comes with my name). Do you read Tolkien in both Estonian and English, and if so, which "sounds" better to you?

Related to that: Tolkien was a big fan of the Finnish language and based some Elvish on it. I believe Estonian and Finnish are related, so does Elvish ever sound a little too familiar to you?

I'm an American, so I only get the English experience, I'm afraid. I know enough French to read LOTR in French, but it didn't sound right to me, so I didn't finish the French version I had.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 14 2014, 10:54pm

Post #454 of 666 (110207 views)
Shortcut
I appreciate your interest [In reply to] Can't Post

The Estonian translations are really good, making Tolkien a very enjoyable read in my native tongue. However, there are some bits (some more famous quotes, for example) that sound better in English.
About Estonian, Finnish and Elvish... Estonian and Finnish are related, closely even, so yes, there's definitely some similarities between Estonian and Elvish as well. Pronunciation, for example. Or some words, like Sindarin "haudh" and Estonian "haud" (both meaning "grave, tomb") - although, for all I know, it could simply be a coincidence.

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

Starglass
Rivendell

Feb 22 2014, 9:49pm

Post #455 of 666 (106440 views)
Shortcut
Hi everybody! (Hope I'm doing this right) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Smile I'm Starglass and I just joined earlier today after enjoying reading the forums for the past week or two. I'm still fairly new to Middle Earth. I read The Hobbit as a kid and liked it; in fact if I remember correctly, it was my first book report! I just read the LotR trilogy for the first time last winter on a trip to England and it was enough for me to fall in love. Shortly after I saw AUJ in theaters and then knew I had to watch the rest of the LotR movies (which is funny, because when they first came out I thought I'd never watch them, silly me.) Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to contribute in spite of my newbie..ness and I'm looking forward to discussing with everyone and getting excited for the final Hobbit movie.
P.S. Which Tolkien book should I read next? Wink

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 22 2014, 10:00pm

Post #456 of 666 (106204 views)
Shortcut

I'm also fairly new here, so I'm especially happy to welcome fellow newbies. Smile

Which Tolkien book should you read next, you ask? Hm... The Silmarillion, maybe?

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 23 2014, 2:53am

Post #457 of 666 (107208 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Starglass! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with Black Fox, The Silmarillion should be the next book to read. Be warned, it is very different from the novels, and many people get bogged down in the early chapters. But if you can persevere, it is well worth the effort. Have you read Bullfinch's Mythology, or Edith Hamilton's? That's the nearest comparison to the Silmarillion I can think of.

If it proves too much for you, I'd recommend skipping ahead to Ch 19, the tale of Beren and Luthien. That part can stand on its own as a short story, even though it's still part of the greater history, and if you like that part (as most of us do) you'll probably be motivated to learn the rest of the story. The first time I read the Silmarillion, I skipped around a lot! But eventually I became intrigued enough to read through the whole book.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Starglass
Rivendell

Feb 23 2014, 2:35pm

Post #458 of 666 (108531 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Black Fox and Meneldor! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Silmarillion it is! Is the tale of Beren and Luthien what is mentioned (and sung about) by Aragorn in FotR? If so, I think I would enjoy reading the full story; I liked that part of FotR.

Now to hope my local library has a copy of The Silmarillion and I'll get down to reading amidst this mountain of schoolwork...

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 23 2014, 10:15pm

Post #459 of 666 (107793 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's the story. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is alluded to several times in LotR. When you go back and reread LotR after Silmarillion, you'll pick up on all kind of references that meant nothing before.

You ARE planning to reread LotR repeatedly, aren't you? Angelic

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Starglass
Rivendell

Feb 24 2014, 3:58pm

Post #460 of 666 (107217 views)
Shortcut
Re-reading LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, of course I'm going to re-read! I've already planned my second read-through for this summer. I'm looking forward to getting a new perspective the second time around, especially now that I'm planning on reading Silmarillion.

Gunslinger24
The Shire

Mar 6 2014, 3:03am

Post #461 of 666 (107549 views)
Shortcut
Hello, hello! =) [In reply to] Can't Post

Greets everybody! My name is Dillon, I'm 24 and I'm from the Finger Lakes region of New York. I've been coming to this site and having been reading these boards a few times a week for quite a few years and finally made a profile so I could join in on all the happenings. Looking forward to making new friends and discussing my love for Tolkien and Jackson. Smile

I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain.

Starglass
Rivendell

Mar 6 2014, 3:26am

Post #462 of 666 (109075 views)
Shortcut

Hi! I'm new here too, so I'm still getting into everything but it's a lot of fun as I'm sure you'll see.

I also happen to be from New York and I'm 24 too for what it's worth. Tongue

Gunslinger24
The Shire

Mar 6 2014, 10:58pm

Post #463 of 666 (107737 views)
Shortcut
Thats awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

That's very awesome! I always say Finger Lakes area because people always assume NYC haha and I have never actually been there.

I created the sound of madness, wrote the book on pain.

Ghâsh

Apr 23 2014, 4:27am

Post #464 of 666 (108450 views)
Shortcut
Introduction [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello, I'm Shawn. I'm 20 years old and I'm brand new to Tolkien, and fantasy in general. I know its a bit late in life for someone to be getting into Tolkien, but honestly, fantasy never interested before lately, and so here I am. Better late than never, right? Anyway, I'm currently reading the Hobbit in preparation for reading The Lord of the Rings.

A little more about me, I'm an avid music listener, love reading, and I'm a huge sports fan.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 23 2014, 9:00am

Post #465 of 666 (107536 views)
Shortcut

And it's never too late to get into Tolkien! I, for example, was older than you when I contracted Tolkien-fever and I'm sure I'm not the only one here. Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 23 2014, 9:01am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 25 2014, 9:17pm

Post #466 of 666 (107377 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Ghash! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 25 2014, 9:20pm

Post #467 of 666 (107246 views)
Shortcut

It's never too late for talking about Tolkien!

Sit. Take your shoes off. Stay a while.

Best of all, there's pie!

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 4 2014, 8:28am

Post #468 of 666 (107927 views)
Shortcut
Hello [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I've done this a bit backwards... diving straight into the The Hobbit forum first, but old newbie reporting in!

A book-fan by way of the movies, I was a registered user with the pre-redesigned TORn. But RL got in the way in a really bad way around 2008, and I've since lost touch with everything Tolkien, TORn (I can't even say with certainty what my username was), and PJ movies. Finally was motivated enough to re-start everything post-DOS, and the reason is probably easy to see from my avatar. Tongue

TORn still has the same vibe before I fell off the wayside. I was definitely rather more lurky than I am so far in this incarnation, bit I am glad to be back, and hope to settle in and stick around for the long-haul.

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Starling
Half-elven

May 4 2014, 9:03am

Post #469 of 666 (106846 views)
Shortcut
So glad [In reply to] Can't Post

you threw off the cloak (with a flourish, no doubt) and decided to show yourself.
Welcome back!

Have a biscuit on me. Cool

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 4 2014, 9:31am

Post #470 of 666 (107658 views)
Shortcut
Stop posting these pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate drooling on my keyboard! Angelic

Starling
Half-elven

May 4 2014, 9:46am

Post #471 of 666 (106713 views)
Shortcut
I didn't mean to upset you [In reply to] Can't Post

Here, I'll share mine with you to help you feel better.

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 4 2014, 10:05am

Post #472 of 666 (107792 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's just plain cruel! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Meneldor
Valinor

May 4 2014, 8:59pm

Post #473 of 666 (118927 views)
Shortcut
We can't eat it, no no we can't! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nassty elvish biscuitses!

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 4 2014, 9:10pm

Post #474 of 666 (120941 views)
Shortcut
This can only mean one thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

FrownLaugh

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

May 5 2014, 8:28am

Post #475 of 666 (114693 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Starling! [In reply to] Can't Post

We loves choco bakes!

This line with the multi-allegories. I feel SO at home already. Smile

you threw off the cloak (with a flourish, no doubt) and decided to show yourself.

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III, IV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBofTA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

First page Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.