Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Random elf pointing to the forest appreciation thread.

Thorins_apprentice
Rohan

Feb 22 2014, 7:16pm

Post #1 of 15 (969 views)
Shortcut
Random elf pointing to the forest appreciation thread. Can't Post

1.How cool is he?.I think he is the coolest looking elf i've seen so far, in all the Tolkien/PJ movies
2.It would be nice to see him in Bofa, something about his stature makes me think hed be a great fighter,nimble and stealthy.
3.He's got the deepest elven voice for an elf that i have heard yet besides Thranduil.lol
4.What is his name in the movie?
5.Quite short for an Elf.
6.Any other thoughts about him?

We are more connected than ever before, more able to spread our ideas and beliefs, our anger and fears. As we exercise the right to advocate our views, and as we animate our supporters, we must all assume responsibility for our words and actions before they enter a vast echo chamber and reach those both serious and delirious, connected and unhinged.

(This post was edited by Thorins_apprentice on Feb 22 2014, 7:18pm)

Papagianni
Bree

Feb 22 2014, 10:20pm

Post #2 of 15 (489 views)
Shortcut
I think the actor's name is Robin kerr and he plays Elros/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Barbarb
The Shire

Feb 22 2014, 10:23pm

Post #3 of 15 (477 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it's been said before that the background/minor part elves in The Hobbit look so much better than the background elves of LOTR, and I have to agree. In The Hobbit they look so much more 'elfy' and interesting.

'Random elf pointing to the forest' looks like he could turn nasty and do a lot of damage in a battle. He is one of my favourite 'minor' elves along with the one who blows the horn.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 22 2014, 10:55pm

Post #4 of 15 (494 views)
Shortcut
The jailer [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think the actor's name is Robin kerr and he plays Elros

Robin Kerr/Elros was the Wood-elf who held the keys to the cells. Was that the same Elf?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Nira
Lorien

Feb 23 2014, 12:20am

Post #5 of 15 (409 views)
Shortcut
I would just like to say that I approve of this thread. REPTTF for best elf?// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Feb 23 2014, 1:12am

Post #6 of 15 (427 views)
Shortcut
Outside the gate as punishment? [In reply to] Can't Post

The "random elf" is indeed Elros, the Keeper of the Keys who got drunk with Galion and allowed the Dwarves to escape. Since we heard Tauriel shout "Where is the Keeper of the Keys?!" and found him and Galion drunk in the wine cellar, we can only speculate on what his punishment might have been. Did she have him taken out behind the wood pile and paddled? Does he have to do guard duty without any armor for the next 100 years (contrast him to the other two guards)? Speculate on Elros' punishment!

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Feb 23 2014, 4:25am

Post #7 of 15 (384 views)
Shortcut
Awesome elf!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kinda funny they named him Elros, since that's Elrond's brother, but I guess they just wanted to give him a nod! Wasn't the real name of the Elf that got drunk Galion or something?
I see him becoming a type of FIGWIT/Lindir with fans!!!SmileWinkTongue

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

It is our fight!~ Tauriel

I fear neither death nor pain! ~Eowyn

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 23 2014, 4:49am

Post #8 of 15 (402 views)
Shortcut
Some fans have taken to calling him [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrhoss (or something like that; my Sindarin is rusty to non-existant) in order to distinguish him from Elrond's brother. I think there is a word 'rhoss' that they are referring to? Dunno.
But I agree! I also thought he was pretty cool for the few seconds he showed up. Let's make Elrhoss a thing. It doesn't hurt that in my opinion he's better looking than Lindir/FIGWIT... Evil Wink
That being said, Galion wasn't bad, either. He was the one in the red shirt, right? His LEGO has one of the most hilarious expressions I've seen yet.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 23 2014, 5:23pm

Post #9 of 15 (271 views)
Shortcut
Anon Ymas [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Kinda funny they named him Elros, since that's Elrond's brother, but I guess they just wanted to give him a nod! Wasn't the real name of the Elf that got drunk Galion or something?
I see him becoming a type of FIGWIT/Lindir with fans!!!SmileWinkTongue

Tolkien never gave the jailer a name. In fact, Galion, the wine steward who got drunk with the guardsman, is the only Wood-elf who was given a proper name in The Hobbit. Even Thranduil was only known as the Elvenking.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elthir
Gondor

Feb 23 2014, 9:04pm

Post #10 of 15 (238 views)
Shortcut
the problem of ros, rhoss [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrhoss (or something like that; my Sindarin is rusty to non-existant) in order to distinguish him from Elrond's brother. I think there is a word 'rhoss' that they are referring to? Dunno.

There are at least two references in Etymologies, one meaning 'whisper or rustling sound'. The other appears in the entry: RUS- flash, glitter of metal. Q. russe corruscation +sword-blade; ON russe polished metal (N. + rhoss chiefly found in names as Maedhros (MAD), Findros, Celebros etc; owing to coalescence with ROS1).

However this is Etymologies, an abandoned document that wasn't quite dealing yet with the later version of Tolkien's invented languages, including the history of his languages [for example Tolkien revised the meaning of Maedros later on, although incidentally the -ros in this name, so spelled, referred to red-brown, or 'coppery' coloured hair].

In The Lord of the Rings we have Rhosgobel, which appears to mean 'Russet town' and contain rhosc anyway. Can't think of anything else at the moment, from a later [than Etymologies] context.

But maybe someone just borrowed from Etymologies in any case. Some do Smile

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Feb 24 2014, 8:53pm

Post #11 of 15 (138 views)
Shortcut
Like him xD [In reply to] Can't Post

...on both occasions :) but I can't help, drunk elves are just too cute Angelic

the gate scene reminds me somehow at Figwit in FotR .. just seconds of appearance, yet enough to become extremly popular

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 26 2014, 6:44am

Post #12 of 15 (105 views)
Shortcut
I have met this Elf [In reply to] Can't Post

This below is what I posted a while ago in the Thranduil Appreciation thread. I remember his name as being James, or some other one-syllable name, but I wouldn't count on my memory... it was NYE after all, it was noisy, and I'd already downed a glass or two of bubbly. (maybe it was Robin but he called himself Rob?) Cool Still kicking myself for curbing my fangirling while with my 'cool' friends.

"I was at a New Year's Eve party in Auckland, when a guy introduced himself to the group I was in. In typical fashion, someone asked "So what do you do?"
"I'm an actor" said this guy.

"Oh, what have you acted in?"
"Actually, I played an elf in The Hobbit. I had a really small speaking role."

I looked at him and immediately picked it. "You're the Keeper of the Keys!" He looked impressed - he probably has most people say "So which one were you then?"
He told me he had to study Elvish for two weeks in order to exchange that one line with Legolas at the gate.

I am a little shy in social situations so I didn't want to badger him any further. But in hindsight, I am kicking myself. I should have pinned him down and quizzed him endlessly.
Did he meet Lee on set? Did they do any scenes together for the EE or TABA? Did he study Elvish alongside Lee? What was he like? What was it like? Tell me everything!!! "

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Feb 26 2014, 6:49am)

Elthir
Gondor

Feb 26 2014, 3:15pm

Post #13 of 15 (84 views)
Shortcut
'speaking' Elvish [In reply to] Can't Post

He told me he had to study Elvish for two weeks in order to exchange that one line with Legolas at the gate.

Maybe he was joking?

I mean no offense but someone will tell the actor what the words intend to mean [so he can choose his way to say the line], and the rest is memorizing a bunch of sounds, and the dialect coaches will tell him how to pronounce anything not already obvious when using the Roman Alphabet.

Like for Sindarin, -ch- as in German ach; or to roll your rrrrrs.

I 'spoke' Japanese after listening several times to a line in Kill Bill. It took much less than two weeks and no study of the language.

How long was the line Wink

(This post was edited by Elthir on Feb 26 2014, 3:23pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Feb 27 2014, 7:44pm

Post #14 of 15 (69 views)
Shortcut
'Man os Tauriel?' [In reply to] Can't Post

Was the line IIRC.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Elthir
Gondor

Mar 2 2014, 3:32pm

Post #15 of 15 (55 views)
Shortcut
two words and a name [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! I'm guessing he was having some fun then.

Hmm, someone could have just yelled 'repeat this' [and said the Elvish to the actor] on the day of shooting Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.