Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
All good points

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 22, 4:24pm

Views: 204
Shortcut
All good points [In reply to] Can't Post

Nor was Tolkien seeking artistic control when he sold the screenrights to TH and LotR to The Saul Zantz Company. As someone previously pointed out, he never thought that the books were filmable (except perhaps through animation) and he never believed that a success film would result from either work.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Subject User Time
If Tolkien was alive, how would you think his opinion of PJ's movie interpretation? Girdle of Melian Send a private message to Girdle of Melian Feb 20, 9:27am
    I think he'd be a lot more tolerant and appreciative than some think Shagrat Send a private message to Shagrat Feb 20, 9:49am
        Bare in mind the 'Letters' volume is only an edited selection of a few of Tolkien's letters malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Feb 20, 9:41pm
        heres one amusing suggestion noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Feb 20, 10:21pm
            Thanks for that link. I had never seen it before. Elwen Send a private message to Elwen Mar 5, 9:39pm
        I believe that the Professor would Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Feb 20, 11:45pm
    It's difficult to speculate... 7.62 mm FMJ Send a private message to 7.62 mm FMJ Feb 20, 10:01am
    I am afraid... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Feb 20, 10:47am
        This is perfect fingolfin_nc Send a private message to fingolfin_nc Feb 20, 4:38pm
            mayb book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 20, 5:06pm
                And yet, Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Feb 20, 5:22pm
                    maybe book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 20, 6:53pm
                        Tolkien authorized Christopher to speak on his behalf Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Feb 20, 11:52pm
    It's a question with no answer.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Feb 20, 11:06am
        Brilliantly said Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 20, 11:21am
        There you go again Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Feb 20, 1:58pm
            Not if I can help it! // dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Feb 20, 3:13pm
    He would love LOTR and hate THE HOBBIT Bishop Send a private message to Bishop Feb 20, 12:22pm
        Ehh not so sure Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 20, 12:34pm
        I doubt that.... // macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Feb 20, 1:02pm
    after the film rights were sold... Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Feb 20, 12:42pm
        'the intrusion of unwanted matter'....... thursday_next Send a private message to thursday_next Feb 20, 5:24pm
    I think the man who gave us hobbits... Elarie Send a private message to Elarie Feb 20, 1:47pm
    None of us can know... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 20, 3:19pm
        Yes, that's true... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Feb 20, 4:07pm
            Christopher Tolkien grew up listening Elanor of Rohan Send a private message to Elanor of Rohan Feb 20, 4:19pm
            Oh, I agree... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 20, 8:02pm
                It should carry at least some weight, shouldn't it...? g-stormcrow Feb 20, 9:52pm
                    Can't tell if your comment is directed at me or if it is just directed at the board in general... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 21, 1:15pm
                        Definitely not directed at you g-stormcrow Feb 21, 9:30pm
                            Sad? Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Feb 22, 8:53pm
                                Hi, how'ya doin'? g-stormcrow Feb 23, 12:00am
                                    Apologies Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Feb 23, 6:21am
                                        Zimmerman Screenplay Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 23, 5:45pm
                                            Movie Locations Altaira Send a private message to Altaira Feb 24, 4:12am
                                                What a great post Altaira Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 24, 4:48am
                                                    Agreed on all points.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Feb 24, 8:47am
                                                location location Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Feb 24, 1:58pm
                                                    A hit, a very palpable hit! sador Send a private message to sador Feb 24, 6:06pm
                                                        Seeing Elskidor Send a private message to Elskidor Feb 24, 6:22pm
                                                            Tolkien's [possible] changing attitude Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Feb 24, 6:58pm
                                                        the hit Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Feb 24, 6:30pm
                                                            Thank you! // sador Send a private message to sador Feb 24, 6:35pm
                                                                the Tolkien Newsgroups? Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Feb 24, 6:38pm
                    I am in in near complete agreement Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Feb 22, 10:43am
                        Tom Shippey g-stormcrow Feb 23, 12:09am
    First, I think that he'd be surprised Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 20, 3:52pm
    endless book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 20, 4:34pm
    Well, Elskidor Send a private message to Elskidor Feb 20, 5:21pm
        You think this because it is what you want to think... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 20, 8:00pm
    i don't believe he would have the critical spirit of his son MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Feb 20, 6:00pm
    He would probably never see it, sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Feb 20, 6:36pm
    The movies would have been different, with JRRT alive sycorax82 Send a private message to sycorax82 Feb 20, 6:48pm
    The approach would be diffrent if he was alive I think Welsh hero Send a private message to Welsh hero Feb 20, 7:59pm
    . bungobaggins Feb 20, 8:07pm
    Tolkien SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Feb 20, 8:45pm
    Hearing his languages spoken aloud Elarie Send a private message to Elarie Feb 20, 9:53pm
        Neo-elvish Elthir Send a private message to Elthir Feb 20, 10:15pm
            Very interesting article Elarie Send a private message to Elarie Feb 21, 12:00am
    I read some of the unproduced adaptations with Tolkien's notes in the margins ghost_matt Send a private message to ghost_matt Feb 21, 12:03am
    Not a question worth asking demnation Send a private message to demnation Feb 21, 12:30am
    If Tolkien were alive, he'd have been invited to be a consultant on the films. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Feb 21, 1:56am
        For some reason, this idea makes me very happy. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Feb 21, 2:41am
            Elvis spoke good elvish, didn't he? Patty Send a private message to Patty Feb 21, 2:52am
                *ba-dum-bum* ;) / Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Feb 21, 3:48am
        The only thing I fear may have happened if Tolkien had been a consultant… Patty Send a private message to Patty Feb 21, 4:15am
            Really? Bishop Send a private message to Bishop Feb 21, 4:52am
                I just remembered that Tolkien and was fond of Cor Blok's paintings… Patty Send a private message to Patty Feb 21, 4:57am
                    I love Cor Blok's work, for sure Bishop Send a private message to Bishop Feb 21, 5:15am
        Didn't Christopher offer to help PJ & Co. make the movies if he were given "complete artistic control"? g-stormcrow Feb 21, 9:22am
            I can't believe CT would have seriously asked for Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot Feb 21, 12:31pm
                Clever or very naive... g-stormcrow Feb 21, 9:13pm
                    What I was meant was that Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot Feb 23, 12:50am
            "Complete artistic control"? squire Send a private message to squire Feb 21, 9:58pm
                PJ makes a reference to it in this Entertainment Weekly interview g-stormcrow Feb 21, 10:55pm
                    Thank you! squire Send a private message to squire Feb 21, 11:25pm
                    I also have never heard Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Feb 22, 2:34am
                        This.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Feb 22, 10:25am
                            This...is rather convenient... g-stormcrow Feb 23, 12:37am
                                Not at all.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Feb 23, 7:59am
                                    Christopher mentioned having that exact anxiety nightmare... g-stormcrow Feb 23, 8:28pm
                                        Did he? Poor man dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Feb 23, 10:55pm
                        Artistic control Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 22, 2:37pm
                            It's nice to see a positive example of an artist maintaining control Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Feb 22, 2:51pm
                                More on artistic control Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 22, 3:03pm
                                    Artistic control Noria Send a private message to Noria Feb 22, 4:19pm
                                        All good points Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 22, 4:24pm
                                        I wonder Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Feb 22, 7:27pm
                                "Positive" is definitely a subjective word... g-stormcrow Feb 23, 12:25am
    He should feel flattered. FrostyLemon Send a private message to FrostyLemon Feb 21, 3:11am
    As nearly every other poster has pointed out, Bishop Send a private message to Bishop Feb 21, 5:07am
        Maybe He'll Be Okay / Maybe He Won't Girdle of Melian Send a private message to Girdle of Melian Feb 22, 11:30am
    He would have said that PJ is queer.// Plurmo Send a private message to Plurmo Feb 21, 6:58am
        Are there any queers in the theatre tonight? sador Send a private message to sador Feb 21, 7:06am
            "Not yet," Boyens says, Plurmo Send a private message to Plurmo Feb 22, 4:43am
    He's proven he has great imagination grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Feb 21, 5:14pm
    I have no idea what Tolkien would have thought of the movies and I don't really care. Noria Send a private message to Noria Feb 21, 5:19pm
        "I really don't care" is not disrespectful in the least... g-stormcrow Feb 21, 9:36pm
            I think I was pretty clear. I'll try again. Noria Send a private message to Noria Feb 21, 10:15pm
                Forgive me. (Correction) "I don't really care"... g-stormcrow Feb 21, 10:50pm
                    We are all women and men of our times. Noria Send a private message to Noria Feb 22, 1:39pm
                        Perhaps it was when you "respectfully" said you "don't really care"... g-stormcrow Feb 23, 12:19am
                            I don't care either. entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Feb 23, 6:43pm
                                I am a rock. I am an island... g-stormcrow Feb 23, 8:16pm
                                    Doesn't bother me. entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Feb 23, 8:20pm
                                        Good for you... g-stormcrow Feb 23, 8:41pm
        I don't really agree with that. Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot Feb 24, 12:14am
    We can debate this until the cows come home Elskidor Send a private message to Elskidor Feb 23, 6:10pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.