Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug "Guards of Erebor" Bookends - Where To Order Guide
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 22 2014, 12:55pm

Post #1 of 26 (760 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug "Guards of Erebor" Bookends - Where To Order Guide Can't Post

I thought I'd write a quick guide about how to get hold of this juicy mouthful:

USA

The Guards of Erebor edition has a list price of 105.43$ and contains two bookends and the standard 3D+2D BluRay Combo box. It is limited to 25000 pieces (USA edition). I suppose the Amazon price should drop soon to the level of WBshop.

International delivery possible:

No international delivery possible:

Germany

The German edition is different from the USA as it has a much lower limitation number; the edition included in the packaging is a 3D+2D steelbook with lenticular magnetic cover. It is exclusive to Amazon.de; the list price is 119 EUR. It has been sold out in pre-order; however, sometimes copies pop up (when someone cancels his order).

As soon as this edition gets listed in other countries, I'll update this thread.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 22 2014, 1:20pm

Post #2 of 26 (425 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for posting this [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it that the German edition disks are illustrated – why can not all the disks be illustrated, for all editions?

I do, however, see an image inside the box that would very much turn me off buying this product. Crazy

Shagrat
Gondor

Feb 22 2014, 1:47pm

Post #3 of 26 (416 views)
Shortcut
Canada [In reply to] Can't Post

I read that it would be an HMV exclusive there.

I wonder if this will be a total worldwide edition size of 100,000? I think France might get it, but on past form the UK probably won't.

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 22 2014, 5:19pm

Post #4 of 26 (382 views)
Shortcut
3D glasses too on Amazon [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the buying guide HeartHeartHeartHeart Amazon.de has the BEST image I've seen of the bookends and I am really liking what I am seeing - hope they are as good as the picture re the details and color wash.

Re the 3D glasses
Not sure how useful these are for the home viewer

• •For use in all RealD and Passive Technology Cinemas.
  • •For use with all Compatible Passive 3D Televisions and Electronics.
  • •Warner Bros Licenced
  • •Not for use in IMAX and Active Technology Cinemas
  • •For use with compatible LG and Vizio 3D home theater systems.

I'm not a techie so what's "passive technology"? Another thing for me to look up. Still this was the Best Buy exclusive and some sellers have them for $10
http://www.amazon.com/...ds=hobbit+3d+glasses

(This post was edited by Avandel on Feb 22 2014, 5:30pm)

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 22 2014, 5:37pm

Post #5 of 26 (379 views)
Shortcut
But Thranduil is there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha ha - love it - Thorin everywhere - hope the U.S. version is the same - so far no image up on U.S. Amazon - will make it a pleasure to handle the disks.

Kim
Valinor

Feb 22 2014, 6:53pm

Post #6 of 26 (354 views)
Shortcut
Just what exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

do you think you'll be "handling"? Tongue

Off to put in my pre-order! Woohoo!

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Feb 22 2014, 6:57pm

Post #7 of 26 (354 views)
Shortcut
If you buy it at [In reply to] Can't Post

WBshop.com...you can use this coupon code for another $10 off....DEALS10

Mine was $74.54 shipped including tax.. Smile

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 22 2014, 10:43pm

Post #8 of 26 (332 views)
Shortcut
What image? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am curious. :)

PS: the AUJ discs were also colourful in Germany.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 22 2014, 11:40pm

Post #9 of 26 (311 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Thranduil is there, but who is that standing next to him? And I believe there will be another figure in that picture (it looks like just one of the standard pictures that used with all the other spam visuals last year).

I think I am going to cancel my Blu-ray DVD, which I ordered from UK Amazon, for now. The exterior shows a lovely picture of Thorin, but I am now concerned that underneath that will be you know who x 2.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 22 2014, 11:44pm

Post #10 of 26 (312 views)
Shortcut
What image? [In reply to] Can't Post

I do believe there is an elf-spam picture shown in the box. It's one of the standard pictures that was used in all the elf marketing last year. It does show Thranduil. However, he is not the main part of the image, which is Legolas, and I do believe there is another crouched elf in the picture too.

I'm cancelling my order for the UK Blu-ray DVD (the one featuring Thorin), until I know that there will definitely not be an elf-spam image underneath the Thorin one. It is not something I want in my collection.

In Reply To
I am curious. :)

PS: the AUJ discs were also colourful in Germany.

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 22 2014, 11:54pm

Post #11 of 26 (321 views)
Shortcut
The Legolas/Thranduil montage... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is clearly the backside of the steelbook.
Underneath Thorin, there is Gandalf in Dol Guldur.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 23 2014, 12:13am

Post #12 of 26 (302 views)
Shortcut
Thanks very much for the clarification. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have actually ordered the steelbook as well from Amazon UK (the one showing Gandalf on the front). Unfortunately, judging from the picture shown in the German box, it may have the things I do not want to see on the back…

In Reply To
...is clearly the backside of the steelbook.
Underneath Thorin, there is Gandalf in Dol Guldur.

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 23 2014, 12:36am

Post #13 of 26 (297 views)
Shortcut
Sad ): [In reply to] Can't Post

So Amazon got a picture of the U.S. collector set disks up, and they are black with a rune border, while the picture from German Amazon the disks have images. I know that really shouldn't matter but it just seems so CHEAP - it's always cheaper to print B & W than color. Not to mention why would the disk art differ from country to country? Or is this where it seems Europe always seems to end up with better artwork (like the awesome German DOS calender) than the U.S.? Makes me nervous about the disk quality since the material used in making an actual disk can vary.

Not to be overly negative as I am happy I finally got my pre-order in, but just hate seeing the continued cheapness of WB even for an expensive gift setMad

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 23 2014, 12:51am

Post #14 of 26 (292 views)
Shortcut
Any chance for a retail exclusive U.S. Steelbook as release data gets closer? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't usually pay much attention to stuff like this, and WB's press release seems pretty cut and dried. But I would like as steelbook for DOS w. Thorin - any hope for special editions?

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 23 2014, 1:56am

Post #15 of 26 (284 views)
Shortcut
I'd like one with Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully the Gandalf at Dol Guldur one I've seen a few times.

Imladris18
Lorien

Feb 23 2014, 5:37am

Post #16 of 26 (274 views)
Shortcut
Glasses: [In reply to] Can't Post

These are the equivalent to the plastic ones they give you at the theater (though they are higher quality). They are "passive" meaning the glasses do not actively filter the images, but rather the 3D "technology" is solely produced via the projector. The image that is perceived is the only thing that gets changed with passive glasses.

Most home systems use active glasses (they have batteries in them) and work in a variety of ways; some IR, some Bluetooth. In these systems, the glasses themselves help produce the 3D "technology."

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 23 2014, 8:51am

Post #17 of 26 (260 views)
Shortcut
I think this is due... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to the German rating logo (FSK) which HAS to be printed in color. So they can't go with the cheaper black-and-white disc label here.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 23 2014, 1:22pm

Post #18 of 26 (245 views)
Shortcut
Europe [In reply to] Can't Post

Europe in general doesn't end up with better artwork than the US – though Germany does, and I seem to remember that the disks were illustrated for the German editions of the AUJ DVDs (cinema edition).

The UK doesn't have illustrated disks for the cinema edition, nor does it have the products with the figurines (luckily I am not particularly interested in those).

The UK did, however, have the best packaging for the EE DVD of AUJ in my view (the edition that was most like those for the LotR EEs, with a plain external case and acorn).

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 23 2014, 5:04pm

Post #19 of 26 (219 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the post - that was great (: [In reply to] Can't Post

And it makes sense. I wanted these glasses anyway as I loathe the cheap ones the theaters use, but too bad they don't seem to be useful for IMAX ): which was my favorite DOS theater. *Sigh*.
But great description!

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 24 2014, 2:13pm

Post #20 of 26 (184 views)
Shortcut
Ordering from Amazon now [In reply to] Can't Post

Love these bookends.

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 24 2014, 9:20pm

Post #21 of 26 (165 views)
Shortcut
Amazon is down to 79.99$ [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon.com has dropped to $79.99!

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 7:30am

Post #22 of 26 (141 views)
Shortcut
It has indeed... [In reply to] Can't Post

And if, like me, you're in the UK, given the relative exchange rates it is considerably cheaper to order from the US. It was much cheaper even before the price drop, so the US it is for me.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Feb 25 2014, 7:39am

Post #23 of 26 (139 views)
Shortcut
That's what I thought when ordering AUJ EE... [In reply to] Can't Post

But as I've posted before, I got a friend in the States to order for me, and Amazon US simply passed the order on to Amazon.de to send the item from Germany to the UK. Meanwhile I got a letter from HM Revenue & Customs asking for another £20 import tax before it could be delivered!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Feb 25 2014, 7:40am)

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 25 2014, 7:41am

Post #24 of 26 (137 views)
Shortcut
I paid around £13.00 import tax... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and it still came out cheaper to order direct from Amazon.com.

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 25 2014, 9:03am

Post #25 of 26 (135 views)
Shortcut
It's why I'm waiting to see ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But as I've posted before, I got a friend in the States to order for me, and Amazon US simply passed the order on to Amazon.de to send the item from Germany to the UK. Meanwhile I got a letter from HM Revenue & Customs asking for another £20 import tax before it could be delivered!

If it will be sold on Amazon.co.uk - greendragon seemed to think it will be available in the UK at least. I was stung with the import tax for the EE as well.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.