Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What is in a name? (Your screen name, that is.)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

stormcrow20
Gondor

Feb 1 2008, 5:37pm

Post #1 of 236 (2365 views)
Shortcut
What is in a name? (Your screen name, that is.) Can't Post

I guess this could be considered a “Get to know your TORnsibs” thread. I apologize to whoever usually posts that topic; I don’t mean to hijack. Wink This has been on my mind for a while…and it has probably been done before, but here goes.

Many of us here have screen names that are somewhat self-explanatory, and there are many unique nicks as well. Here’s your chance to tell us about your nick. How did you come up with it? Why did you choose it? Does it have a specific meaning? How is it pronounced (if applicable)? Anything else?

As for mine, Gandalf is my favorite character, and I found Stormcrow to be an interesting nickname of his. I knew, even after its brief use by Théoden in the film, that few (most likely only book fans) would recognize that it belonged to Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. The number “20” represents my age when I began using this nick, as well as the twenty Rings of Power.

What about you?

"Good Morning!"

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 1 2008, 6:04pm

Post #2 of 236 (1652 views)
Shortcut
from one corvid to another [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been picking things up since I was a little girl. I have pictures of me at 3 picking up rocks in the UP. (some of you will know what UP stands for...) I continued this into adulthood. I would collect rocks along the shores of Lake Superior, filling my pants pockets till they dragged down off my butt. Those too big to carry would get put in a special place and then I'd run back to recollect them if I thought other strollers were getting too close.

I collected small handfuls of tiny, tiny shells, polished pebbles and sea urchin spines along the coast in California.

I spend most camping vacations picking up twigs, seed pods, driftwood, grape vine tendrils, feathers, etc from various places in the country. I put these items in vases, bowls, etc all over the house.

And I collect. Not the kind of collecting that people do who scour ebay or flea markets for that one item. I find something that delights me and I pick it up. It almost always has to be small and cheap and somewhat trivial. Once I have one, if I see another I think, 'ooh... that goes with the other'. And then I have two. By the third, I'm rip roaring and then I might spend a 'little' more money, but never a lot. Once that item becomes popular to collect and therefore a little more expensive to pick up, I'm off to the next item.

Items I have collected over the years (other than 'natural' items of which I have drawer fulls on my front porch):

glass salt shakers that I put small flowers in in the spring
wooden handled kitchen tools
kitchen ceramics with roosters on them and other rooster items
old tins
viewmaster slides and old viewmasters
wooden handled fans from the state fair
game pieces
tiny toys/figures
thimbles - cheap plastic ones with advertising on them
folk dolls, especially ethnic and especially small ones
odd pieces of pretty or interesting china dishes or glasses with designs on them (from the 50s and 60s) - I use these for tea parties, celebrations, etc.
marbles
old bits of paper ephemera
joker cards
Golden Books

One day, I came home with a tiny glass perfume stopper. Something similar to THESE but these are way fancier than mine. Mine is plain and tiny. I showed it to my husband, all excited at this little bauble saying, "look what I found... it was only 29 cents", and he just looked at me and said, "Marilynn... you are such a magpie."

When it became the rage to get an 'online' name, I considered a bunch of Tolkien names but none seemed to fit. And then I realized I already had a 'name' and I adopted it. I often have to use a variant of it like 'aMagpie' or 'iMagpie' (which I kind of like) or Magpie930 which is my birthday: Sept 30 (waves at Aunt Dora).

I've since realized that I like to collect not only objects but trivial facts and bits of information. I love to find the shininess in everyday ordinary things. (And I am thrilled that the word 'shiny' developed a new meaning with the show Firefly) I am curious and find researching a highly enjoyable activity. I often use the tag: Because life is full of bright, shiny things. It has figured into developing an online identity, my personal identity and my identity as a graphic designer

and lastly, I was amused to find that one definition of a magpie is : a loquacious talker.

That I am.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 1 2008, 6:08pm

Post #3 of 236 (1589 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing special about my nick.
Usually I use another nick online, an abbreviation of my RL name, but it was already taken here, though the owner doesn't seem to post at all. So I had to find another one.
Reading tons of fanfiction, I've developed a soft spot for the peredhil, particularly for Elrond's twin sons, and so I decided to try 'Peredhil lover'. Luckily this one was free.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 1 2008, 6:14pm

Post #4 of 236 (1596 views)
Shortcut

My surname is Morgan.

In Sindarin:

Mor = Dark

Gon = Stone

Darkstone.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Annael
Immortal

Feb 1 2008, 6:15pm

Post #5 of 236 (1623 views)
Shortcut
picking up rocks [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always picked up rocks. There's groups of them all over my house and garden. I also have about a gallon of beach glass. One time I went to an aura reader who said "oh, you have a rock dude." I said "a what?" She shrugged and said "that's what my sons call it. I don't know what it is, but it seems to indicate an affinity for minerals. People who have it notice rocks and feel they have to pick them up. It's as if the rocks call to them."

My niece apparently has a rock dude too, but my sister does not and is baffled by us. One day she complained to me about how she always had to unload rocks out of the pockets of my niece's clothes before washing them. "I don't get it," she said. "I mean, I see rocks, I appreciate them, but I don't need to pick them up. Why do you?"

Before I thought, I blurted out "how else would they ever get to travel?"

She looked at me funny and has never brought the subject up again.

.We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Immortal

Feb 1 2008, 6:27pm

Post #6 of 236 (1590 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I often chose "Annie" as an online nick (which is not my real name). When I first came here I was "ritergrrl" which is another occasional Net nick, but after a few months I decided to get a more Tolkien-ish name. I looked up names in the Encyclopedia of Arda and found "Annael," which they said was the name of Turgon's Elvish stepmother. Turned out they got it wrong and Annael was his stepdad, but since my own real name is a unisex name, I decided it was still okay.

I pronounce it AN-na-el.

.We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are.
- Anais Nin
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2008, 6:29pm

Post #7 of 236 (1559 views)
Shortcut
ROFL!! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great response to your sister! And I bet she stands that little further away from you at family gatherings... ;)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2008, 6:29pm

Post #8 of 236 (1566 views)
Shortcut
Oh, now I have a name [In reply to] Can't Post

for my need to pick up rocks. Poor OhioHobbit has to restrain me from picking up rocks in public places. I keep wanting to take them home. I think they would be happier with me.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 1 2008, 6:36pm

Post #9 of 236 (1544 views)
Shortcut

I remember that song from Godspell:

"I'll put a pebble in my shoe
And watch me walk, I can walk and walk.
I shall call the pebble Dare.
We will talk together about walking.
Dare shall be carried, and when we both have had enough
I will take him from my shoe, singing, 'Meet your new road.'"

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2008, 6:37pm

Post #10 of 236 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

'Ataahua' is the name of a style of Maori carving and I have a pendant in that style. The word has four syllables with the emphasis on the second, the a's rhyming with 'car' and the 'u' rhying with 'flute'.

I'd love to see Draupne giving a guide to pronouncing her nick!

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Post #11 of 236 (1637 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, I've never given much thought to why I chose this name. I know that I've considered changing it several times, but for some reason never do. I use dianne-the-geek everywhere else online, but this was my first online account (not counting email names) and I wanted something Tolkien and something feminine. Let's face it, Tolkien didn't give us women much to work with. Most of the basic women's names had been taken. I've always loved Arwen, Eowyn, and Galadriel, but never felt like I had the right to use their names, if that makes sense.

But then I struck upon that little throwaway line about Arwen saying good-bye to her daughters. They're never mentioned before or after that and they intrigued me. They're a mystery and a chance for much possibility. They are blank slates. And at the time, I myself didn't have much of an identity. It was my third year of college and I was still trying to "find myself" (and I still am trying even now). So I chose for my identity something without an identity. Something that I could shape and grow into without having to worry about what had been written before.

Maybe that doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's all I've got Cool

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Post #12 of 236 (1590 views)
Shortcut
My choice is... [In reply to] Can't Post

certainly not colorful. I went on a site that would give a translation of the meaning of your regular name into Elvish. So I looked up Roberta and it means glorious brilliance and Alcarcalime means super brilliant light. It is pronounced Al - car - ka - leem - a (long A, I don't know how to put a line over the top of the A).

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 1 2008, 6:41pm

Post #13 of 236 (1549 views)
Shortcut
I almost did that [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked up my name in Elvish, but my name (Dianne) translates as Eru or Eruwyn and I couldn't justify using the name God. Although now that I think about it again... Angelic

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 1 2008, 6:44pm

Post #14 of 236 (1544 views)
Shortcut
I have a rock dude?! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was a disease...a disease I spread to as many young cousins as possible. *hee*
My mother had the same complaint about rocks in my pockets and the missed ones banging around in the washer and dryer.
I told her they pounded the clothes cleaner and fluffier--like the old sneakers she occasionally tossed in on purpose. =)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 1 2008, 6:48pm

Post #15 of 236 (1553 views)
Shortcut
It was old keys for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to have a collection of keys that didn't go to anything. Occassionally I would wander around the house and try them on locks, but I never did find a match.

Also rocks, fossils, and shells. Though most of them have been lost over the years, I have kept a few special ones.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

stormcrow20
Gondor

Feb 1 2008, 6:50pm

Post #16 of 236 (1557 views)
Shortcut
Not colorful? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say "super brilliant light" is pretty colorful! Its unique and fun to say.

Would you remember that site, or another like it by chance?

"Good Morning!"

stormcrow20
Gondor

Feb 1 2008, 6:51pm

Post #17 of 236 (1532 views)
Shortcut
It makes much sense, actually! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Good Morning!"

stormcrow20
Gondor

Feb 1 2008, 6:54pm

Post #18 of 236 (1549 views)
Shortcut
Lucky... [In reply to] Can't Post

you're very lucky to have a name that translates to such a cool nick! I'm eager to look up my own name now.

"Good Morning!"

Scout
Rivendell

Feb 1 2008, 6:55pm

Post #19 of 236 (1539 views)
Shortcut
To Kill a Mockingbird [In reply to] Can't Post

I named myself after one of my favorite literary characters.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2008, 6:57pm

Post #20 of 236 (1549 views)
Shortcut
Here is the site... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't use advanced editor on my computer and don't know how to post links in basic editor but here is the site you can cut and paste:

http://www.elvish.org/elm/names/r.html

I would say super brilliant light is white -- not very colorful, but I did mean my means of choosing. I wanted my name because I am one of the few people I've known who likes my name. I don't really like nick names of Roberta -- though I have a lot of them.

Anarrima
The Shire

Feb 1 2008, 6:57pm

Post #21 of 236 (1576 views)
Shortcut
A bit obscure... [In reply to] Can't Post

Anarrima is the name of one of the constellations set in the sky by Varda, mentioned exactly once in the Silmarillion I believe. I've read that it can be thought of as corresponding to the constellation Cornoa Borealis, although I'm not sure what authority there is for that. I loved the idea of Varda arranging the stars, and I liked the name, so I grabbed hold of Anarrima and it stuck. I actually have no idea how it is supposed to be pronounced or what syllables should be emphasized. I'm sure there are some people around here who can give a much more educated guess than I ever could.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 1 2008, 6:58pm

Post #22 of 236 (1552 views)
Shortcut
ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was reading children's literature to small groups of 1st and 2nd graders, I had a unit on rocks.

EVERYBODY NEEDS A ROCK by Byrd Baylor
A rock hound presents her own highly individualistic rules for finding just the right rock for you.

IKTOMI AND THE BOULDER by Paul Goble
Iktomi, a Plains Indian trickster, attempts to defeat a boulder with the assistance of some bats, in this story that explains why the Great Plains are covered with small stones. A Dakota Indian legend.

ROXABOXEN by Alice McLerran
A hill covered with rocks and wooden boxes becomes an imaginary town for Marian, her sisters and their friends.

THE GAMES OF AFRICA by Jennifer Prior
How to play numerous games from Africa, many of which can be played with stones.

SYLVESTER AND THE MAGIC PEBBLE by William Steig
In a moment of fright, Sylvester the donkey asks for his magic peble to turn him into a rock but then can not hold the pebble to wish himself back to normal again.

We would sing songs that utilizes passing stones (from Sharon Lois and Bram) in a circle.

I would take in rocks I had collected and a wet sponge so they could see how they looked different when wet. The book, "Everybody Needs a Rock" there's a list of 10 things to know about rocks. One is they look different when wet. If you don't have water near by, you can lick it. I do that... I lick rocks to see how they'll look wet.

My favorite place for collecting rocks turned out to be the campground at Sleeping Bear Dunes National National Lakeshore. The campground isn't actually on the dunes. But the beach on Lake Michigan is at the spot where a river empties into the lake. The river runs for a ways parallel to the shore and is protected by a sandbar which means the waves don't disturb the water. It's fairly shallow, knee deep or shallower and the water is crystal clear. And the bed if full of rocks. But I'm quite partial to the basalt on the North Shore of Lake Superior. When I said I ran back to retrieve a rock I'd left sitting while I continued to look because I was sure someone strolling near by would see it and love it like I did, I was talking about this rock:

not the best inkwash and the shape is a little off (it was my first, ever, inkwash) but it's a pretty accurate rendering of the 'runes' and markings on this rock that are part of the natural trait of the basalt.

We had a neighbor, for awhile, who was a geologist and she could look at the rocks in our garden (they're all over...many stacked up in columns) and tell us where they were from: mid Wisconsin... Duluth... etc.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Feb 1 2008, 6:59pm

Post #23 of 236 (1582 views)
Shortcut
I am "not a Sackville"(-Baggins) kind of person \ [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 1 2008, 7:04pm

Post #24 of 236 (1529 views)
Shortcut
I have keys too [In reply to] Can't Post

skeleton keys mostly. I actually have a large ring of cast iron keys about 4-6 inches long that I picked up for 50 cents at a garage sale. I do have regular flat keys as well... but they have to be kind of cool looking for me to collect them.There are about 2 dozen hanging from our key rack, however...seemingly active, vital keys. I don't believe it, though.

My son is finding that he can 'shop' from my story of shinies for his girlfriend. She got a key for Christmas from my collection and an old 50's clock I had laying around waiting for a new cord.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2008, 7:06pm

Post #25 of 236 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the return of the cute avatar!

Love that photo. :)

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.