Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Well, well Amazon UK

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 21 2014, 5:20pm

Post #1 of 6 (568 views)
Shortcut
Well, well Amazon UK Can't Post

The DVD does include Martin Freeman, Sir Ian and Richard Armitage in the cast listing.

I'll go for this one, featuring Thorin (as well as the steel book). Personally, I would love a steelbook that features Thorin he has to a great extent made the film for me.

I'm not sure what form the box for the Thorin DVD will take just an ordinary cardboard box with his image, and with the DVD inside?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hobbit-Desolation-Blu-ray-Region/dp/B0095HHNS6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393002855&sr=8-3&keywords=hobbit+desolation+of+smaug

Here is the link for the Gandalf steelbook, which does include all versions of the DVD!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Desolation-Limited-Steelbook-Blu-ray/dp/B00IIVLUL6/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1393003297&sr=1-2&keywords=desolation+of+smaug+steelbook

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Feb 21 2014, 5:23pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 21 2014, 5:28pm

Post #2 of 6 (283 views)
Shortcut
Yes.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The thing that's worrying me is that there's no mention of the DVD extras anywhere. According to TORn's main page they're on all versions, but the UK DVD for AUJ didn't have them, you had to buy the Blu-ray to get the extras, and according to Amazon UK the DVD this time round is only one disc.

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 21 2014, 8:27pm

Post #3 of 6 (200 views)
Shortcut
It's seems the standard UK DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

is doomed to such fate.

As you pointed out, the AUJ DVD had only one disc and no extras (unlike the US). The same seems to be occurring with DoS ...Unsure

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 21 2014, 10:58pm

Post #4 of 6 (160 views)
Shortcut
You know [In reply to] Can't Post

Blu-ray players can now be purchased almost at the price of DVDs themselves. I only found that out when I bought one myself last year. I have found it to be a worthwhile buy the picture really is much sharper.

In Reply To
The thing that's worrying me is that there's no mention of the DVD extras anywhere. According to TORn's main page they're on all versions, but the UK DVD for AUJ didn't have them, you had to buy the Blu-ray to get the extras, and according to Amazon UK the DVD this time round is only one disc.

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 22 2014, 7:20am

Post #5 of 6 (116 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is an annoying trend - last year I gave in and bought a blu-ray player. I didn't want to but I did want to be able to watch the extras. I don't know what the UK has done to offend WB but it does make me wonder when we get offered so much less than almost everywhere else.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 22 2014, 10:00am

Post #6 of 6 (101 views)
Shortcut
Yes, so did I.... [In reply to] Can't Post

An inexpensive one but it works well and the picture quality's excellent. The only thing that frustrates me is that if I play a DVD on it and stop before the end it will remember the place and return to it later, even if the machine has been switched off in the meantime. If I play a Blu-ray it doesn't, so I have to find the place to return to. Not the end of the world, of course, but it means that if there's no difference in content between the Blu-ray and the DVD I'll buy the DVD just for convenience. Also it's cheaper! Wink

And yes, it annoys me too that other markets always seem to get things that we don't.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.