Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will there be more then 500 dwarves at bo5a?

boldog
Rohan

Feb 17 2014, 7:00am

Post #1 of 4 (532 views)
Shortcut
Will there be more then 500 dwarves at bo5a? Can't Post

Im placing my bets that Jackson is going to add a lot more dwarves into Dains army. Plus with the whoe plotline of the arkenstone uniting the seven houses of the dwarves, could this be potential for a massive gathering of all the dwarves? It will be purely epic and awesome at the same time. Even if this doesnt happen, i still bet there will be way more then 500 dwarves present.......

thoughts?

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 17 2014, 1:39pm

Post #2 of 4 (262 views)
Shortcut
514? [In reply to] Can't Post

We don't want too many Dwarves. The combined armies of Elves, Men and Dwarves are still going to have to be in serious danger of losing before things turn around. Five hundred armored and heavily armed Dwarves is a significant force; I don't think that it needs to be bumped up.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 17 2014, 5:37pm

Post #3 of 4 (216 views)
Shortcut
Hehe! Well the book states [In reply to] Can't Post

"Dain ... has at least five hundred grim dwarves with him" (The Hobbit - 'A Thief in the Night')

The word "least" suggests some more ... 550 perhaps?

But I agree, 500 dwarves is still a pretty significant size and doesn't need any more addition to it. Then again, I also find it curious why Peter Jackson would mention the whole "seven kingdoms" thing.

Unless he makes it look as if only Dain and his people answer Thorin's call to rally at the Lonely Mountain (thus allowing the audience to sympathize with Dain and what happens later ... *spoilers*)

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 17 2014, 6:39pm

Post #4 of 4 (188 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's wording does allow for another score or so [In reply to] Can't Post

Another 50 Dwarves seems slightly excessive, but maybe not so much. I doubt that Tolkien would have gone any higher. And the Elves arrived with at least 1000 spearmen and an unspecified number of archers. The number of Bard's army may have been less than half that of the Dwarves.

I would think that the Dwarves of the Iron Hills are the only ones near enough to reach Erebor in time for the Battle of the Five Armies. Any others are hundreds, if not thousands, of miles away--many of them being west of the Misty Mountains.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.