The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOFA Snow battle!

Elskidor
Rohan

Feb 17 2014, 12:25am

Post #1 of 10 (858 views)
Shortcut
BOFA Snow battle! Can't Post

Ok, so I got to thinking this odd and random question.Say the great battle is fought in the snow. Bitter cold as ice snow. Wouldn't wearing all that heavy armor make the wearers nearly freeze faster, or would it keep them warm?

I mean, I honestly have never even thought of this, but it seems like it might be more dangerous to be wearing heavy metal armor if cools faster than your body can heat it. Anyone know about this type of thing?

ROUND 9 is up! Tolkien Elimination Game Finals (Part 1)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=715402;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

or found in the Pollantir

book Gandalf
Rohan

Feb 17 2014, 1:08am

Post #2 of 10 (412 views)
Shortcut
well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

you wear under garments.

plus its a fantasy film.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

stoutfiles
Rohan

Feb 17 2014, 1:09am

Post #3 of 10 (418 views)
Shortcut
Did Thorin ride a piece of metal down a lava river? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. Yes he did. So my guess is anything about them being cold will be ignored if Thorin wasn't uncomfortable.

If we're taking this seriously, then it shouldn't matter as long as their arming clothes underneath the armor are warm. Plus, they would have battlefield adrenaline, so they wouldn't even notice the cold.

Elskidor
Rohan

Feb 17 2014, 1:16am

Post #4 of 10 (373 views)
Shortcut
Yes, true [In reply to] Can't Post

but I was wondering how that worked in real battles before armor was less plastic. If metal armor in the cold made the soldiers colder or kept them warmer and confined the body heat.

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=715402;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2014, 1:47am

Post #5 of 10 (353 views)
Shortcut
I'm no expert but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...so long as they've got the proper undergarments I would think they'd be pretty warm. I don't think the metal armor would be directly against their skin, but even if it was I think it would hold in the heat, not make them colder faster. All that metal would also help block the icy winter wind which is a big factor in increasing how cold it feels outdoors. And, as one of the other posters said, they're fighting, so adrenaline plus strenuous physical exertion should keep them feeling very warm, if not downright hot and sweaty. (except the elves, who apparently are too pretty to sweatWink) I think the cold/snow will be the least of their concerns during Bo5a.

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

jtarkey
Rohan

Feb 17 2014, 2:37am

Post #6 of 10 (331 views)
Shortcut
Even if it was at least 29 degrees farenheight.... [In reply to] Can't Post

There could logically be snow and ice. So taking into account that soldiers are engaged in intense physical activity, and heavily clothed/armored, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

But a dude riding a metal wheelbarrow over molten gold...

That is not within the realm of possibility. Nor is falling 100's of feet down a cavern on a wooden bridge. Or fighting enemies whilst riding in barrels down insane rapids. So...

Does it even really matter at this point?

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 17 2014, 3:06am

Post #7 of 10 (336 views)
Shortcut
If one is wearing metal armor... [In reply to] Can't Post

Generally, there is padding worn underneath any metal armor. The wearer might stay fairly warm, at least until the padded garments are soaked through with persperation or water. After that, there would be danger of hypothermia as the wet padding cooled.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Elskidor
Rohan

Feb 17 2014, 6:41am

Post #8 of 10 (255 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

That was what I was looking for. I know PJs films stretch beyond what is capable of physical science. I was more looking for a direct answer about this in general. and outside of fantasy.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 17 2014, 1:05pm

Post #9 of 10 (194 views)
Shortcut
Honestly [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless the temperature is very cold, I think that armored soldiers or knights would more likely drop from exhaustion than from the cold. Exertion would keep them warm for a good while unless conditions were very soggy. Rain in near-freezing weather might be more dangerous than snow at temperatures just below freezing.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

DemoElite
Rivendell

Feb 18 2014, 4:00am

Post #10 of 10 (105 views)
Shortcut
I'm more worried about rust! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope Dorothy is around with her oil can for the tin dwarves.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.