Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Coronation Gown?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 1 2008, 5:29am

Post #1 of 17 (11809 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Coronation Gown? Can't Post

That's what you saw of it in theaters. I'll let Ngila Dickson tell you about the details. From The Art of ROTK: "I took the gold, which is always a detail in Rohan royal clothes, and made it the signature of this gown--expressing the joy of this day. The dress is made from a silk bagatelle, dyed gold with silk satin lining. We designed specific embroidery for the edge of the cloak, the neckline, and the belt, based on the flower of Rohan, and this was woven in three different golds, with small red glass beads throughout. We hand threaded and stitched small pearls round the sleeve ends, neck edge, and belt. The arm bindings are hand-plaited gold thread."

The flower of Rohan she describes is the centerpiece of her necklace, which she wears throughout the movies and is repeated on the belt of this gown. The gown itself is very simple, but also very gorgeous. It's covered with this huge semi-circular mantle.

This costume was on display at ComicCon one year, which has given us access to some really detailed images. I've only posted a couple here. You can see the texture in the fabric and the embroidery on the neck, belt, and mantle with beads added on top of the embroidery. What I really love are the hand-stitched pearls along all of the edges, except downt the center front opening.

They even made shoes for this costume! They did for most of the costumes, but they're so often overlooked.

As always, you can find lots more details at: AlleyCatScratch and Costumer's Guide. So, what do you all think of this costume?

Also, if anyone would like to come up with a better title for these posts, feel free to give me some ideas. Smile

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

The Screencap of the Day Schedule

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 1 2008, 6:16am

Post #2 of 17 (8861 views)
Shortcut
I love that colour on her. [In reply to] Can't Post

It warms her fair skin and, as Ngila says, reflects the happiness that she's *finally* feeling!

I know Ngila and the actors have talked about how the detail in these costumes make this world feel more real to them, and that comes across subtly to the audience, but I really do wonder if all the effort that went into the minute details of clothing such as this was really worth it. Is there such a thing as too much attention to detail for the level of payoff you get?

(Having said that, I'd love to have this dress!)

As an aside, I didn't realise Eowyn wears that necklace throughout the films - I'll have to watch more closely on my next viewing.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Tim
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2008, 6:24am

Post #3 of 17 (8878 views)
Shortcut
I have to admit I'm not a gown-noticing guy [In reply to] Can't Post

But all the detail in that gown (and other costumes) is a strong argument for Hi Def. Cool

"Sir are you classified as human?"
"Negative! I am a meat popsicle!"

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 1 2008, 6:41am

Post #4 of 17 (8853 views)
Shortcut
The necklace comes and goes [In reply to] Can't Post

She wears it with several costumes, but never while she's traveling. Which raises the question as to how it arrived in Gondor. Did she perhaps tuck it into her saddlebags as an afterthought?

And I know what you mean about too much detail. I know this was almost certainly a gown they made after the budget for costumes had been expanded (earlier costumes have fewer details), but I wonder what PJ was telling these costumers he was hoping to capture on film. They can't have had that much free time to be this detailed on a whim. I hope they all enjoyed the experience, at least.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Elven
Valinor

Feb 1 2008, 7:34am

Post #5 of 17 (8871 views)
Shortcut
Another piece of beauty ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the simplicity of Eowyns Gowns, the cut - although its not that simple, it allows the details to stand alone and make the dress exquisite - its extraordinary.
And what a lovely colour!
The beading - I wish the movie brought the colours up a little more ... I thought Eowyn necklace stones were a little different in colour ... and her golden circlet - I havent seen a close up of it - though its not the gown, and we are talking gowns here ...

As for details like this, well - it is what makes the LOTR so special - they went to this length, and somehow it takes me away from the movies and makes me think ... would Tolkien have like all this detail? and I think he would have indeed ... he was into detail in a big way Wink .. but at least Ngila finished her frocks ... Wink
It is pieces like this that keep us discussing this movie for years ... its such a pleasure to view and be reminded of what good costuming is all about ...

Miranda seems to glow in this dress - and what a smile see has!

I was also looking at the blue cuff on Faramirs shirt - wow! ... I love that too ...

Thankyou for another great thread ... and the title is great ... I look for it now Heart

Cheers
Elven

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Feb 1 2008, 10:19am

Post #6 of 17 (8819 views)
Shortcut
I did notice . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a happy/rejoicing scene in the movie, and I actually noticed how much brighter she was with that gown.

"Death is just another pathway . . . one which we all must take."

-Gandalf from "The Return of the King"

OhioHobbit
Gondor

Feb 1 2008, 3:16pm

Post #7 of 17 (8826 views)
Shortcut
I just want to... [In reply to] Can't Post

to thank you for doing this. What you are doing dovetails perfectly with my technical discussion. There is no way that I could go into the detail of each costume, and, not to be sexist, I couldn’t do as good a job either. So this is just terrific.

About the amount of detail, when working with Peter Jackson, you just didn’t know what was going to be shown, how close the camera would get, or how long it would linger, so you had to be prepared for anything. It would have to be more expensive to do it that way, but that’s Peter’s style. But, when you consider the amount of profit that a movie can make, the investment might not be that large. Of course, that’s easy to say AFTER a movie has made a huge profit.

P.S.
The pictures are great!

(This post was edited by OhioHobbit on Feb 1 2008, 3:20pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 1 2008, 4:28pm

Post #8 of 17 (8858 views)
Shortcut
Here is her circlet [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/...own2323_KellCom4.jpg This is a great close-up of it.

And here is AlleyCatScratch's page on the circlet: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/...an/Eowyn/Circlet.htm Unfortunately most of the links at the bottom are dead now.

It's a great piece of jewelry and also incorporates the flower of Rohan.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Elven
Valinor

Feb 1 2008, 4:37pm

Post #9 of 17 (8802 views)
Shortcut
Oh Wow!! This is great ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can make this circlet - I never saw the close-ups and now realize its twisted gold wiring ... I can hand make the flowers ... and already have some dark lapis beads I can use for the centres .... awesome!

If I ever get this finished, which I have now put on my list of projects to tackle ... (5th in the line) ... I'll post a pic!

Thankyou Thankyou for looking up the link and posting it Arwen's daughter! Much appreciated!

Cheers Elven x

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Sauruman: "Do know how the fan girls/boys first came into being? ... they were Tolkien scholars once ... Taken by the Dark Director, tempted to hold moots & dress up like Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and Wizards ... A ruined & terrible form of life, not to mentions bad grades ... and now perfected at TORN ...
Whom do you serve!"

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 1 2008, 4:53pm

Post #10 of 17 (8781 views)
Shortcut
Please do post a pic [In reply to] Can't Post

When you get to it, of course. I've known several people who work with jewelry, but for some reason the ability to work with wire and set stones just eludes me. I'd love to see what you come up with!

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 1 2008, 8:14pm

Post #11 of 17 (8811 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just want to thank you for doing this. What you are doing dovetails perfectly with my technical discussion. There is no way that I could go into the detail of each costume, and, not to be sexist, I couldn’t do as good a job either. So this is just terrific.

I have to admit that when I first dreamed up this series I wasn't sure how much interest I could stir up. I'm glad you all enjoy looking at these costumes as much as I do.

My LiveJournal

My Costuming Site

February's Screencap of the Day Schedule

Zmulady
Rohan

Feb 1 2008, 8:50pm

Post #12 of 17 (8791 views)
Shortcut
hadn't noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for those pictures. I hadn't noticed the gown that in detail, I think I'm always looking at Farimir, but I will check it out next time I watch ROTK. It's beautiful.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Feb 1 2008, 9:33pm

Post #13 of 17 (8821 views)
Shortcut
Another great gown! [In reply to] Can't Post

Admittedly, usually I'm of the 'trousers only'-fraction, and I hate buying clothes, but these gowns are truly beautiful to look at. It is unbelievable to what lenghts Ngila and her team did go to make all these costumes. I think it are these details (not only on the costumes, of course) that make the movies so unique.

Thank you so much for the pics - it's so much easier to make out the details on these than in the movies!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

PrincessWhat
Bree

Feb 3 2008, 7:09am

Post #14 of 17 (8743 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is really one beautiful gown! Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 3 2008, 4:14pm

Post #15 of 17 (8741 views)
Shortcut
I love your posts, and the title! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please don't change it, I'm used to them now :-)! And it's a great title, because at first most of us probably didn't notice the gowns and costumes, but wow, once you do notice them the details are incredible. I love the pictures you include too - and this set shot of Miranda modeling it is great, it really made me smile.

I think the colors affect people on a subconscious (subliminal?) level - where you don't consciously think, 'gee she looks happy because she's wearing a bright cheerful color' .. but you do end up with that feeling, though you don't verbalize why. So in addition to the help that it provides to the actors in their performances I do think the extra details and effort on the costumes adds to the effect of the scenes on the audience as well.

Wonderful, & thanks, Arwen's daughter!

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 5:50pm

Post #16 of 17 (8745 views)
Shortcut
I love these posts [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to think I'd want to wear gowns like this but I found I like being comfortable way too much to deal with all but the most comfortable clothing.

I do, however, love costuming and I'm really glad you're sharing your expertise with us. My favorite parts are the details on the clothing. I've always been one to fuss way more over tiny detail than on overall concept. I guess that's why I loved making little dolls so much.

As to this gown, it's interesting. Although I love yellow for some things (kitchen walls for example), I'm not overly fond of in in clothing. It's interesting how the color changes from yellow to gold in the different images, isn't it?

I had a gown once that was clearly a olive-y green color but other people told me it was clearly brown! I thought they were nuts till I got a photo back of me in the gown and it looked brown! That must make costuming for movies and theater all the harder if you have to consider how the fabric it will be viewed and how light plays on different fabrics. And how a color looks on the screen might not reproduce well in print so you'd have to consider that if the costume will be depicted in print media for any reason.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 3 2008, 11:41pm

Post #17 of 17 (8782 views)
Shortcut
Lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't it wonderful that a character as hardened, defiant, driven, and shield-maiden of Rohan would have something like simple flowers would be so much a part of her... like a Ranger's Ring.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.