Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What I would have done (AUJ)

Beorn's Bees
Rivendell

Feb 16, 1:03am

Views: 545
Shortcut
What I would have done (AUJ) Can't Post

Hi all, I am going to present my ideas about AUJ, and how I would have done it differently. Before anyone sighs and says, "Another thread to bash AUJ", I would like to say that this thread is NOT meant to bash AUJ. I think it’s a great film, there are just a lot of things I would have done differently. Ok, here we go!

Starting with the Prologue - I would not have included anything with old Bilbo. This is a completely unnecessary addition, in my opinion. Instead, we start off with a prologue featuring the fall of Erebor, though we do not completely understand what is going on, but the audience will get the basics - there was a dwarven kingdom within a great mountain, and it was desecrated by a dragon. This would be completely visual however, and there would be no narrator - having a more mysterious prologue may catch peoples attention, and be more curious about what happened to that dwarven city. After the mysterious prologue, we arrive at Hobbition. We see a beautiful shot of the village, and as peaceful hobbits garden and eat, a man with a blue, pointy hat and long grey robes walks onto the screen. It is, of course, Gandalf the Grey. Gandalf traverses Hobbition, making his way towards Bag End. As he walks, he watches the hobbits around him, and looks rather amused. Some of them return the glance, and look rather disturbed by the wizard’s presence. Gandalf continues his walk, and makes his way up the hill of Bag End. Upon the hill, he finds a hobbit sitting on a bench and smoking a pipe, blowing great big smoke rings. This hobbit is Bilbo Baggins. The good morning sequence then commences, much as it happens in the book. After Gandalf etches the mark on Bilbo’s door, we cut to within Bag End, and Bilbo looks rather confused. He goes to his calendar and marks for Wednesday, Gandalf tea. We then see him wander away, out of the room.

We then cut to Bilbo waking up, and he looks very tired. He goes into the kitchen, passing his calendar. After a moment, Bilbo turns around, and peers at the calendar. His eyes get wide, as he realizes that Gandalf will be arriving soon! He rushes about the house, preparing for his guest, when the door bell rings. Thinking it is Gandalf; he opens the door, but instead finds Dwalin. One by one, the rest of the dwarves arrive, until Gandalf appears at last, along with the great Thorin Oakenshield. Bilbo serves food for his guests, and the dwarves talk of distant places, and of the fabled Lonely Mountain. At this, Bilbo is intrigued, and asks about it. Thorin and Balin exchange looks, and begin humming a tune. Thorin then begins to sing of the Lonely Mountain, and the other dwarves slowly chime in. Bilbo is deeply moved by this, and a love to see distant places grows in his heart. This feeling slowly fades away as the song shifts to the tale of the destruction of Erebor. The dwarf singing ends and a tear is rolling down Thorin’s eye. Bilbo asks what happened, but Thorin replies saying something like, “Have you heard nothing of what we just sang!” Balin tells Thorin to calm down, as Balin tells Bilbo the story of the wealth and splendor of Erebor. It is here that we get a flashback to Erebor, and we finally hear the full tale of the mountain. Balin speaks of prosperity, but also of the demise by the dragon Smaug.

There is a grave silence after that, but Gandalf breaks it by saying, “That is why we are here.” Gandalf talks of the quest ahead (and also draws out the map of Thror), and implies that Bilbo is coming. Bilbo hates the idea, and clearly states that he has no interest in adventures. We cut to later in the night, and Bilbo is eavesdropping on Gloin. The conversation is much like in the book, as Gloin explains that Bilbo is not adventuring material. Bilbo gets angry and tells the dwarves that even though he is a hobbit, he could hold his own on an adventure. It is here that we first notice Bilbo’s interest in going to reclaim Erebor. He is given the contract by Bofur, and reads it. He signs it, and is officially a part of Thorin’s company. We cut to Bilbo in his bed, about to sleep, and he can hear Thorin in the room outside of his, singing the Misty Mountain song lightly to himself. We cut to morning, and Bilbo is now waking up, and wanders the house looking for the dwarves. Just when he thinks it was all a dream, the meets Gandalf in the living room, smoking. Gandalf pushes him out the door, like in the book, and tells Bilbo to meet the rest of the dwarves at the Green Dragon Inn, and that he was already late. He bursts out the door, and rushes to the inn through Hobbition. He arrives to find Balin waiting for him outside. Balin is overjoyed to see him, saying that he had never doubted Bilbo would show up. It is here that the adventure really begins, and a montage of beautiful scenery commences. The dwarves are on their ponies, and Gandalf is upon his horse, traversing the hills of the Shire, before getting into more unknown country. The montage ends, and we see the dwarves riding in an intense storm.

That is the first part of it. Let me know what you think and if you would like to hear more. I am thinking of writing a script of what I would have done. Give me any suggestions please if you have any. Sorry it is so long! Crazy

Subject User Time
What I would have done (AUJ) Beorn's Bees Send a private message to Beorn's Bees Feb 16, 1:03am
    There's a million ways to do it SaulComposer Send a private message to SaulComposer Feb 16, 1:20am
    Broadly agree. Bumblingidiot Send a private message to Bumblingidiot Feb 16, 3:52am
    Isn't that pretty much exactly how the book goes? lurtz2010 Send a private message to lurtz2010 Feb 16, 8:47am
        I don't think Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Feb 16, 10:13am
    I would prefer to cut the fall entirely KW Feb 16, 4:37pm
    Like the idea of including the Green Dragon and cutting out the superfluous Old Bilbo/Frodo intro... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 16, 10:07pm
        For Sentimental Reasons, Both Chris Lee & Ian Holm Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Feb 17, 3:04am
            Right on BalrogTrainer Send a private message to BalrogTrainer Feb 18, 3:50am
                It also established for movie fans... arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Feb 18, 1:27pm
                    Arithmancer, I agree. Noria Send a private message to Noria Feb 18, 1:40pm
                        Funny! arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Feb 18, 1:48pm
                    Although... BalrogTrainer Send a private message to BalrogTrainer Feb 18, 1:49pm
                        Well, in reverse... arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Feb 18, 8:14pm
    Or How About... Ostadan Send a private message to Ostadan Feb 19, 10:37pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.