Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favorite scene list (of 10) - why do you like one of your "mid favorite" DOS scenes?

Avandel
Tol Eressea

Feb 15, 8:07pm

Views: 531
Shortcut
Favorite scene list (of 10) - why do you like one of your "mid favorite" DOS scenes? Can't Post

10 favorite scenes from DOS - we've all got 'em but think maybe it's our top three that get talked about the most. And I've got a real problem because the majority of the movie is a favorite scene. But my top ones would be Thorin/Thranduil, entering Erebor, "end in fire", the barrels (and there's been a lot of comments on these).

Bur right behind that is the forges, which is long enough that I loosely split into 2 parts: 1)Thorin going into the pit, and 2) after the forges get lit. What I call the forges sequence is one of the reasons I want to get my hands on the DVD/BluRay, just to savor it. One thing I like about this long action sequence is that it "opens" with the pit scene, which is a huge favorite of mine because it's just gritty, sweaty, dirty, more or less one-on-one, and just desperation. And it's hugely realistic IMO in that aside from Smaug chasing Thorin as the rope drops, there are loose rocks tumbling down, and the sounds IMO are perfection and perfectly timed - the whine of the cables dropping, the banging of the falling winches, the roar of the flames.

Loved the acting and realism through this - particularly like this part where Thorin is just dropping down and down and the expression on his face. It's like he's dropping into hell. And he's actually hanging - I've seen other movies where a character is supposed to be hanging from something and you can tell they are just standing on a box or whatever, because there is no strain on their arms. And Dwalin looked so desperate in this scene, and Nori jumping in.

More loving details - Smaug's movement and facial expressions through the whole thing - he's just so SMUG. Smaug isn't grinning but he almost is. And one of the most remarkable things about Smaug is the care that was taken with his eyes - he looks, and focuses on characters - and the way he follows Thorin down the pit and twists his neck.

This, w. the flames boiling up, I just love - for me this is just great imagery, w. fire being funnel up like this, and its roar. There's other things I love about this whole sequence - Balin pulling Bilbo into the side tunnel, Bilbo calling after Thorin, Thorin drawing Smaug off. It's hard not to focus more on what follows because the lighting of the forges is on such an enormous scale - there's an immensity about the lit forges, the running gold, the water wheels, Smaug thrashing around. So I love that too - but think this "entry scene" is incredibly well done, so it's on my favorites list in itself.

My only issue would be that think it's paced a little fast, I'd like to have watched Smaug's movement a bit more - but when Smaug slowly opens his mouth to swallow Thorin and he almost looks like he's smiling - IMO amazing attention to detail through all of this. Even Smaug's tongue and the way Thorin crouches when he lands on Smaug and slowly stands when he realizes what he landed on. And the way Smaug snaps his jaws, fast and hard, just like an alligator or crocodile (I think WETA did a LOT of animal studies!) It's also fun for me to speculate what the story line might have been if Thorin had dropped to the bottom, or to a side chamber, and shown up later - as an alternate story line.

So, what are your one or two "middle favorite scenes" and why? (Maybe you wouldn't even think of them as key scenes in the movie, but you wouldn't want to not have them there, either.)

Subject User Time
Favorite scene list (of 10) - why do you like one of your "mid favorite" DOS scenes? Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Feb 15, 8:07pm
    Agree about Smaug's eyes Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Feb 15, 11:35pm
        Agree there - Gollum's eyes look better Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Feb 16, 5:53pm
        Legolas Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Feb 16, 5:56pm
            NO Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Feb 16, 10:46pm
    Looking for the keyhole Elondria Send a private message to Elondria Feb 15, 11:46pm
        I forgot this one! Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Feb 16, 6:32pm
        Beautiful post and details! Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Feb 16, 6:33pm
    In reaction Elondria Send a private message to Elondria Feb 16, 12:02am
    "And it's hugely realistic" stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Feb 16, 12:30am
        I protest! (ish) Elondria Send a private message to Elondria Feb 16, 12:52am
            Facial Expressions Night Wolf Feb 16, 1:12pm
                stellar acting! Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Feb 16, 8:40pm
            Bilbo's Fall SafeUnderHill Feb 16, 1:53pm
            Exactly! (thanks Elondria) Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Feb 16, 6:13pm
        LOL, as realistic as this kind of movie can get!!! Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Feb 16, 5:50pm
    One of my favorites also Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Feb 16, 1:46pm
        Agree! Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Feb 16, 6:02pm
    My updated list Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Feb 16, 6:22pm
        But I'm curious too! Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Feb 16, 8:25pm
        Ahh yes, more details - now I see how this thread differs - doh! Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Feb 16, 8:47pm
            Thank you - maybe I should have kept list out of my title! Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Feb 16, 10:37pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.