Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
The good old days

squire
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 6:38pm

Post #1 of 21 (469 views)
Shortcut
The good old days Can't Post

That was the best 'cornered troll' discussion we've had in a long time, at least in my memory. At times I was rooting for one side, at times the other; a truly noble battle.

But is this the first time that a locked-down discussion has had its more innocent sub-threads liberated and given a life of their own?

Just curious, really, about what looks to me like a new policy or procedure from the admins.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

(This post was edited by squire on Feb 13 2014, 6:38pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 13 2014, 8:29pm

Post #2 of 21 (317 views)
Shortcut
The split [In reply to] Can't Post

was driven in large part by the monster thread nearing the 300-post limit where we lock the thread to prevent Off-Topic becoming inaccessible to board members (and also because the discussion is degenerating despite adminly reminders). Those two sub-threads had gained a life of their own and it would have been a shame to have them locked off too, so we decided to split off those two lighter threads so that they could continue.

It's a new approach and the support (or otherwise) of board members will help us with our decision-making when/if we come across a similar situation in the future.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 13 2014, 8:35pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 13 2014, 9:48pm

Post #3 of 21 (275 views)
Shortcut
A spontaneous and pointless outburst of positivity [In reply to] Can't Post

Neat. Cool Good idea Modar!

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

squire
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 10:04pm

Post #4 of 21 (265 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I support that approach. It's also nice to see the admins keeping supple in their handling of this site!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 13 2014, 11:00pm

Post #5 of 21 (260 views)
Shortcut
We do yoga before our shifts. [In reply to] Can't Post

Keeps us flexible.

:D

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Feb 14 2014, 1:34am

Post #6 of 21 (248 views)
Shortcut
As someone who gained a thread [In reply to] Can't Post

I am whole-heartedly behind this approach! Cool I think I may try yoga; it sounds like it does a body good.

Truly though, those threads are a lot of fun; I'm glad we can still play.

Thank you Modars!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Kim
Valinor

Feb 14 2014, 1:56am

Post #7 of 21 (244 views)
Shortcut
I too like this approach [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for splitting out the smaller threads.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 14 2014, 5:16am

Post #8 of 21 (258 views)
Shortcut
I would like to present the admins [In reply to] Can't Post

with a lifetime Geek Rail Pass. Cool

That thread was the best entertainment in years. I kind of sneaked a few looks when I was at work. Blush

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Feb 14 2014, 5:34pm

Post #9 of 21 (239 views)
Shortcut
The mayor agrees. Here is the pass, for all admins, etc. [In reply to] Can't Post

(Since you suggested it, Starling, you get to use one for a week. Just have it initialed by Ataahua. In person.)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 15 2014, 4:59am

Post #10 of 21 (232 views)
Shortcut
I love "cornered troll"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Perfect turn of phrase. And you're right, articulate trolls can be fun. I wanted to cheer when Darkstone came in, because he can quote scripture better'n most ministers or rabbis I've known. I must say I was also thoroughly enjoying Darkstone vs. SaulComposer on the proper nationality of Sochi, but I suppose it was necessary for Ataahua to ring down the curtain.

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 15 2014, 5:15pm

Post #11 of 21 (170 views)
Shortcut
I like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

deals with the problem of people hijacking an otherwise interesting thread to beat a drum of their own.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2014, 6:24pm

Post #12 of 21 (161 views)
Shortcut
Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

Allowing the fun sub-threads to continue on even if the main discussion goes downhill seems like an excellent way of handling things to me. It has my full support.

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 15 2014, 6:38pm

Post #13 of 21 (170 views)
Shortcut
although... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think in this case, it worked the other way around - so to speak.

A somewhat contentious thread was hijacked by some lightheartedness - something TORnfolk do well. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 15 2014, 8:59pm

Post #14 of 21 (151 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I loved about it: disagreeable, hostile negativity overcome by relentless waves of glorious wit, silliness, and delightful banter.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 15 2014, 9:42pm

Post #15 of 21 (173 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about "troll"... [In reply to] Can't Post

more like 'predictable person is predictable' for me, and the outcomes were, of course, predictable, but I also found the moves and the matches wayyyy more amusing than in the past.

Rating: Very pleased with product. Would buy again! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 16 2014, 3:04am

Post #16 of 21 (146 views)
Shortcut
He was definitely trolling. [In reply to] Can't Post

From Wikipedia: "In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

He was unquestionably trying to be irritating and argumentative, rather than genuinely seeking information. It's healthy, now and then, to try to explain why we do what we do and love what we love. But the responses were interesting and the discussion was fun. But I think our excellent admins cut it off at the right time.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Feb 16 2014, 3:05am)

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 16 2014, 5:35am

Post #17 of 21 (142 views)
Shortcut
there was an interesting article at io9 the other day [In reply to] Can't Post

Why do trolls annoy you online? Because they're sadists.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 16 2014, 6:42am

Post #18 of 21 (115 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting. Thanks for that!// [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Valinor

Feb 16 2014, 2:37pm

Post #19 of 21 (119 views)
Shortcut
The troll within us all [In reply to] Can't Post

The most interesting thing I saw in that chart was that people who favored the online activity called "Debating Issues" were characterized by the same anti-social personality traits as "Trolling", only at far far lower levels. People favoring other online activities such as "Chatting" and "Lurking", had neutral or negative ratings for those personality traits.

Having spent years debating the issues online, both on this excellently-moderated forum and others less so, I instantly agreed with this. I realized I do recognize trolls as soul-mates on some level, although I hate them for the way they "ruin it for the rest of us"!

squire online:
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 16 2014, 6:35pm

Post #20 of 21 (99 views)
Shortcut
Trolls are narcissists. [In reply to] Can't Post

That one personality trait appears uniquely for trolling, and is entirely absent or negative in all the other activities.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2014, 12:16am

Post #21 of 21 (115 views)
Shortcut
Wow. I always wondered what trolls' problems were... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Now I know. It's interesting and a little creepy at the same time.

They should really do another study and see if internet trolls continue to display such traits (and to what degree they display them) when they interact with people face-to--face. Would they still act that way if they had to look someone in the eye and say something nasty, or do they only do it when they can hide behind a keyboard and the anonymity of the internet?

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.