Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Speculation on the funeral scene **SPOILERS**

boldog
Rohan

Feb 13 2014, 8:03am

Post #1 of 7 (857 views)
Shortcut
Speculation on the funeral scene **SPOILERS** Can't Post

So this is something i havent really seen spoken of much, around this forum of late. How do you believe the funeral will play out at the end of Taba?

Personally, I see it being played in parrallel to Aragorns coronation scene in ROTK. Being Roughly at the same point in the film, and concluding those particular characters role in the trilogy. In Aragorns coronation we see our last glimpses of characters like Legolas, Gimli, Eomer, Eowyn, Faramir. So i believe the funeral will kind of be the same in ending supporting characters roles too. I can see a scene where the body of Thorin is carried past characters like Thranduil, Legolas, Tauriel, and Bard, as they bow down in honor and mourning to the dead king unlike Aragorn where they bowed down in happiness, respect and honor for the new king.

And also i see it being played out similar, (but hopefully unique in its own way) to Theodreds funeral from TTT. I dont want an eowyn style singer though, but a nice procession through dale, and into erebor, where he is laid to rest in a grand tomb.

Either way it is gonna be a sad scene so i hope you all bring at least two tissue boxes Wink

so what are your thoughts on the funeral??

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Feb 13 2014, 2:02pm)

Bernhardina
Rohan

Feb 13 2014, 8:57am

Post #2 of 7 (486 views)
Shortcut
The death scene of Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hope we don't get another Theoden-death scene where Thorin is lying down with his wounds and Bilbo is there with him, Thorin gives a little speech, passes away and Bilbo starts to cry. The Theoden/Eowyn scene on the battlefield is one of my favourite scenes in the LOTR trilogy and I don't want it referenced to by a slightly worse copy in TABA.

As for the funeral...

I like your suggestions. I would like it to be alot bigger than the Aragorn coronation scene though. Since there will be both elves, dwarves and men there to mourn Thorin I hope it will be huge and spectacular, and like you said, really heartbreaking and sad! Not looking foward to it Frown

(This post was edited by Bernhardina on Feb 13 2014, 8:58am)

smtfhw
Lorien

Feb 13 2014, 10:40am

Post #3 of 7 (427 views)
Shortcut
Oddly Enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking much the same yesterday (during a long swim, my mind tends to wander to all sorts of things), and I am very much inclined to agree that this is what will happen. It makes a lot of sense to me actually and I find the parallels pleasing. And yes, there will be a need for tissues, of that I am utterly certain.

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 13 2014, 11:51am

Post #4 of 7 (400 views)
Shortcut
Alan Lee's & Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like Alan Lee's illustration of this particular scene, brilliantly contrasting the dark and gloomy halls of Erebor with the flaming torches of the procession as it accompanies Thorin.

I'd also love to see Beorn there too - paying his respects. They had a kind of clash at the beginning of DoS, so Im hoping they play on that fact.

I could see him either standing beside the other characters or else in bear-form, on a rock outside Erebor howling or growling whilst looking at the sky perhaps ... similar to how in DoS Gandalf sees him before the dwarves enter Mirkwood.

And lets hope it makes the theatrical cut too, at least!Wink

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 13 2014, 1:47pm

Post #5 of 7 (334 views)
Shortcut
But I do want Thorin's parting words to Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world". Poor Thorin. But I agree I don't want to have Bilbo cry over Thorin's body. In the book Bilbo went away to cry and I think it would be more sad to have him be alone in his grief.

CathrineB
Rohan

Feb 13 2014, 2:39pm

Post #6 of 7 (298 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I made a post about this a little while back. How I imagine it could go and I picture Alan Lee's Illustration from the book maybe set to a humming version of "Misty Mountain Cold" or something. With torches lighting up the halls and stuff. This can end up being a really beautiful scene!

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 5:27pm

Post #7 of 7 (266 views)
Shortcut
It might be combined with [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili and Kili's funeral. In the book, even though Fili and Kili also die, there is only a big deathbed scene between Thorin and Bilbo, after which Bilbo goes off to cry alone, with just passing mention of sadness over F & K. However given that in the film F & K are so much more developed characters, we can't have them just die with no funeral and no mourning. So since they are Thorin's heirs, perhaps we will have a combined funeral procession, where Thorin is carried first, then Fili, then Kili.

And with that, I'm thinking three tissue boxes, at least UnsureUnsureUnsure.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.