Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Confirmation of Sauron/Smaug alliance?

Annatar598
Lorien

Feb 13, 4:50am

Views: 760
Shortcut
Confirmation of Sauron/Smaug alliance? Can't Post

From AUJ till the very end of DOS we've been given so many hints.

AUJ

1. Gandalf at the White Council. "A dragon could be used to terrible effect."

DOS

1. Prologue. "The Lonely Mountain troubles me deeply, Thorin" And it isn't because Gandalf wants the Dwarves to get their home back (well he kinda does but it's a secondary objective); it's to deal with the dragon so that Sauron doesn't get a hold of him.

2. Orc interrogation. "The FLAMES of war are upon you" and then "They mean to unleash a weapon"

3. Smaug being up-to-date with everything. "Oakenshield" and "A darkness is coming."

4. Sauron's eye flashing right before we cut to Smaug's enlarged eye.

5. "Something made of gold, but far... more... precious." We all know how "precious" is used in these movies... The word was no coincidence.

The biggest "confirmation" of this alliance is during the orc interrogation. When Thranduil says "They mean to unleash a weapon so great..." the Smaug theme plays very audibly in the background. We all know how Shore and PJ use music and I think this is a pretty solid confirmation that we will see something of this alliance.

But what it is, I cannot say. I do not think we will see Sauron bring Smaug back to life but if the films have been developing on this notion for so long; what will we see?

I can imagine TABA opening with a Ringwraith recruiting Smaug. But then this would need to lead somewhere...

What do you guys think will happen? Will we get a development on this "alliance" or will this all culminate in Smaug's death? There isn't much room to establish anything prior to his death I'm afraid - unless if it's a flashback - given that he is flying towards Laketown already as DOS ends. Would the writers have Sauron re-animate Smaug?

Or is Smaug actually Sauron? A longshot but not too far off I guess. Bilbo takes off the ring because he's near Smaug and that sets off an indescribable series of emotions. He looks pained right before Sauron pops up and then takes it off and we see Smaug glaring at Bilbo (and if you notice, Smaug's eye flinches towards Bilbo's hand that's holding the ring). But if Smaug was Sauron then Smaug would simply take the ring...

This is all so confusing.

Thoughts? Ideas?

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Subject User Time
Confirmation of Sauron/Smaug alliance? Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 13, 4:50am
    Or is Smaug actually Sauron? stoutfiles Send a private message to stoutfiles Feb 13, 5:21am
        How does Smaug know Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 13, 6:00am
            Prior knowledge Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 13, 6:24pm
    I'm intrigued. Wauntaun Send a private message to Wauntaun Feb 13, 7:58am
    Why couldn't they keep Sauron's involvement with Smaug as a "what if?" scenario like it was in the book? Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 13, 4:48pm
        Someone's got a case of Prequelitis!// sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Feb 13, 5:24pm
        Imho... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Feb 14, 9:52am
            Bridge Movie plot Night Wolf Feb 16, 12:45pm
    The Ring may answer to Sauron alone ;) Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Feb 13, 7:09pm
    where it will lead Hamfast of Gamwich Send a private message to Hamfast of Gamwich Feb 13, 7:18pm
        What were Sauron's orders to the Orcs he mobilized? Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 13, 8:58pm
            It's Implied but DemoElite Send a private message to DemoElite Feb 14, 3:05am
                Exactly! Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 14, 4:21am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.