The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Musing on the DoS poster

Thaddeus
Bree

Feb 13 2014, 2:02am

Post #1 of 5 (565 views)
Shortcut
Musing on the DoS poster Can't Post

The one of Bilbo looking at the ruined front gate of Erebor.
It occurred to me that, until the end of DoS, the front gate is sealed. And yet, in the poster, there's a big gaping hole. So...
The poster for The Desolation of Smaug depicts a scene that can only occur in There and Back Again.

I like cheese!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 3:21am

Post #2 of 5 (319 views)
Shortcut
One of the guard's (statues) heads is also missing [In reply to] Can't Post

In the poster the statue on the right has a missing head, reflecting the decapitation of Thror. But in the film both statues have heads.

Either the poster shouldn't be taken too literally or something happens to that statue in the next film.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Feb 13 2014, 3:22am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 13 2014, 3:36pm

Post #3 of 5 (171 views)
Shortcut
WB re PR hasn't been much concerned about timeline accuracy..... [In reply to] Can't Post

All kinds of posts on the poor PR, but me complaining (again) we have characters in the wrong clothes, the wrong weapons re the timeline, poor quality graphic work, horrible Photoshopping. Much of it put out to be a "good enough" quick job without any real love for these films behind it - it was more like, whatever. The main DOS poster is beautiful (except I am not happy Gandalf is the main figure). I suppose in theory a lot of the movie audience doesn't care, but to me it's infuriating as a movie poster is re-used so often and sets a tone for the film. (I'll never understand why Kili and Fili are dressed in armor re DOS banner that never shows up in the movie at all, since most of the time they are just in tunics).

A lot of folks for instance dislike the AUJ all-dwarf poster, calling it the Muppet poster. I dislike it not because of the concept, but because it's a Photoshop job cobbled together from PR stills - to me how cheap is that? You have all the dwarves on set, in costume, and you can't pay for an actual group shot? Not to mention the time it takes to work w. a multi-layer image, so you are not saving any money in production. And the proportions are off. Cheap, cheap. And there was a lot of fascination w. the group dwarf shots - it was the entire company! - and WB couldn't be bothered, even w. all the still photographers on set. And the constant issue of having the same image of Thranduil used over, and over, all last summer.

I'm just thankful for the original suite of dwarf images (the "blue" Thorin, Gandalf, Galadriel, the dwarves). Just gorgeous, not cutesy, appropriate -cherish all of those. Good call on the DOS poster - but re PR it's just same old, same old.
Wonder if it would do ANY good to write to anyone connected w. this film and complain, in the hopes that it would reach WB and they would do a better job re TABA. Seeing as it's the "last one" and all.......

Dwarewien
Rohan

Feb 13 2014, 11:01pm

Post #4 of 5 (108 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily... [In reply to] Can't Post

remember when Smaug broke out of Erebor at the end of the film? The view from Laketown had the hole looking similar to the way it looks in the poster. True, there was no desolation in front of it and Bilbo's in a different spot, but I think it's pretty accurate. I don't think they want spoil too much with the posters, but there may be a few inaccurracies (like the broken heads for example. Perhaps they want to throw a few hints at what's to come). I don't have a problem with any of the posters, I just wish they had more with Thorin on them (instead of characters that I care nothing about, like Legolas and Tauriel, for example).Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Avandel
Half-elven

Feb 13 2014, 11:35pm

Post #5 of 5 (115 views)
Shortcut
at least [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin's got some gorgeous images - tho again I was none too happy w. the DOS poster making Gandalf front and center - true, he was a major character, but I didn't feel DOS was ABOUT him, specifically, with everyone else as kind of satellite figures. And having Smaug lighting the pipe was to me too cutesy.

But there's NEVER enough Thorin, and where were the rest of the dwarves?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.