Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Tauriel could have been a good character...

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Feb 12, 5:00am

Views: 1562
Shortcut
Tauriel could have been a good character... Can't Post

A friend of mine recently gave his opinion on Tauriel that I personally agree with, and he allowed me to share it here.

"Regarding Tauriel, she's hot and looks great when kicking ass; she sure is really pretty. She also acts as the foil to Thranduil, which I rather liked. Unfortunately, those are about the only positive things I can say about her, because quite frankly, I don't like the way she was written.

To start off, I felt that she became sympathetic to the dwarves far too abruptly with little to no development. The film just doesn't explain very well why she does not have anti-dwarf sentiments like the other elves. Without some kind of context or background it feels contrived, forced and highly contrary to what is portrayed to be a very strenuous relationship between Mirkwood elves and the dwarves. I would also prefer that she gradually warms up to the dwarves instead of being sympathetic to them immediately. Seems to me like wasted opportunity for character development.

In particular, I really didn't like her subplot with Kili, because again, it felt forced and contrived. Again, the film shows her warming up to Kili far too abruptly. In addition, doesn't it seem rather stereotypical and sexist to assume that a female character must be involved in a love story? It strikes me as particularly cliched and unconvincing. Not only that, but it gives some viewers the impression that she is motivated by the love of another man, which again seems cliched. I mean, why can't she develop a gradual friendship with someone like Balin? To me, I would have liked the Feast of Starlight conversation be between her and Balin.

Also, I don't like how she seems to be put on a pedestal. By that, I mean that she seems to be a flawless character who is always right. In my opinion, a character with some kind of flaw, even if she is good and heroic, can give her greater depth. Off the top of my head, why not give her a dark history with the dwarves, i.e. she once lead a patrol that killed a group of dwarves, and her guilt changed her view of dwarves. Basically, some flaw or mistake she made in the past to show that she's not perfect, even if her goals and intentions are ultimately good. It may even allow viewers to see her reason to be politically opposed to Thranduil's policies. That would make the character a lot more convincing for me.

Now, about that healing scene. The concept could have worked, but the dialogue and direction/cinematography was uncomfortable to watch and cheesy to say the least. Also, what's with the whole Morgul shaft thing? They should have simply made it poisoned arrow instead of some "Morgul shaft" that gives the impression that Tauriel has similar healing abilities as Elrond.

What particularly irked me is that the concept of this character, a female military elf captain, could have been great, since it can allow us to see what the Silvan elves are really like. Why not show a bit more of her interacting with other Silvan elves? In fact, I was actually looking forward to what she could bring for the Mirkwood elves, and her being female does not bother me at all. I feel that she is a wasted opportunity to make give the Silvan elves believable characterization. Whenever I see her, I'm always going to think how she is wasted potential, and that just bothers me as someone who was looking forward to her.

As a side note, I do like her more than Legolas, but that has more to do with Orlando Bloom's unimpressive acting, and that his stunts are over-the-top to the point of stupidity. Sorry Legolas fans, but something about Bloom's acting just seems uncannily off to me. Maybe I'm biased since I didn't like him in LOTR either."

(This post was edited by 7.62 mm FMJ on Feb 12, 5:04am)

Subject User Time
Tauriel could have been a good character... 7.62 mm FMJ Send a private message to 7.62 mm FMJ Feb 12, 5:00am
    Personally wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Feb 12, 5:19am
    Two main issues DwellerInDale Send a private message to DwellerInDale Feb 12, 6:10am
        My take 7.62 mm FMJ Send a private message to 7.62 mm FMJ Feb 12, 6:36am
        Another thing about Tauriel's reaction to Kili... Anduinel Send a private message to Anduinel Feb 12, 8:26am
        Agreed with this. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Feb 12, 11:39am
        Subjectivity wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Feb 12, 3:58pm
        Maybe not... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 13, 5:02pm
    I used to be totally against Tauriel's inclusion ec1988 Send a private message to ec1988 Feb 12, 6:54am
    i agree with your friend jkm7 Send a private message to jkm7 Feb 12, 10:39am
    I disagree with your friend... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Feb 12, 11:42am
        I agree. NecromancerRising Send a private message to NecromancerRising Feb 12, 11:48am
        Could you imagine the outrage? Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Feb 12, 4:33pm
            Considering the short shrift given to characters that we know are supposed to play major roles in the last third of the story... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 13, 6:33pm
                No Voronwë_the_Faithful Send a private message to Voronwë_the_Faithful Feb 13, 6:40pm
                    mirkwood book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 13, 7:14pm
                    Completely disagree... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 13, 7:27pm
                        Yes, completely agree Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Feb 13, 8:23pm
                subject marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Feb 13, 10:37pm
                    No, I don't assume that to be the case... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 14, 1:25pm
                        You hit the nail on the head... Rowan Greene Send a private message to Rowan Greene Feb 14, 3:35pm
                        it could be Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Feb 16, 5:35am
    When will people realize Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 12, 12:13pm
        Here's the thing 7.62 mm FMJ Send a private message to 7.62 mm FMJ Feb 12, 12:43pm
            Lilly was joking I think Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 12, 1:39pm
                Some corrections 7.62 mm FMJ Send a private message to 7.62 mm FMJ Feb 12, 2:23pm
                    With all due respect.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Feb 12, 3:12pm
                        About this "romance" thing... Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Feb 12, 3:36pm
                        Mutual admiration society Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Feb 12, 3:45pm
                        Tauriel Kili Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Feb 12, 3:50pm
                            Exactly KingTurgon Send a private message to KingTurgon Feb 12, 5:28pm
                        In Tolkien's world Elanor of Rohan Send a private message to Elanor of Rohan Feb 12, 3:58pm
                            On point 4.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Feb 12, 4:25pm
        Sorry wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Feb 12, 4:11pm
            That works both ways. Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Feb 12, 4:38pm
                When did I say it didn't? wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Feb 12, 4:43pm
                    Because Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Feb 12, 4:54pm
                        Well wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Feb 12, 5:14pm
                            Its all good Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Feb 12, 6:32pm
                    I wasn't at all Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 12, 5:35pm
                enough book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 12, 4:46pm
                    Surprise! Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Feb 12, 4:51pm
                        Totally. NecromancerRising Send a private message to NecromancerRising Feb 12, 5:15pm
                    ok Elessar Send a private message to Elessar Feb 12, 4:54pm
                    Do you think Thranderz Send a private message to Thranderz Feb 12, 9:01pm
                        azog book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 12, 9:27pm
            I don't see it, sorry Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 12, 5:30pm
                Kili starts it wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Feb 12, 5:39pm
                tauriel ...again book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 12, 5:42pm
                    First off Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 12, 6:01pm
                        disagree book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 12, 6:14pm
                            What part of the Hobbit being 3 movies Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 12, 6:29pm
                                blah blah book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 12, 6:51pm
                                characters jkm7 Send a private message to jkm7 Feb 12, 7:06pm
                                    True but Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 12, 7:26pm
                                    I guess Fili just wasn't good looking enough... sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Feb 13, 4:05pm
                                        Fili is no mere "sidekick" Elanor of Rohan Send a private message to Elanor of Rohan Feb 13, 4:13pm
                                            fil hmm book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 13, 4:29pm
                                                Fili and Kili Elanor of Rohan Send a private message to Elanor of Rohan Feb 13, 5:08pm
                                            I agree, i would love to see more Fili. sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Feb 13, 4:30pm
                                        I'd say Fili's *better*-looking than Kili, but my opinion usually is at odds with that of Ms. Boyens ;) .// Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Feb 13, 7:15pm
                                        I think Fili Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Feb 14, 2:39am
                        Not true simplyaven Send a private message to simplyaven Feb 15, 3:57am
                    I don't agree with your ... Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Feb 12, 6:34pm
                    Middle Earth arithmancer Send a private message to arithmancer Feb 12, 6:58pm
                        Changing the story doesn't help simplyaven Send a private message to simplyaven Feb 15, 4:04am
                    None? Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 12, 7:19pm
                        hmm book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 12, 8:53pm
                            There is a reason why I never mentioned Arwen Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 12, 8:57pm
                                Arwen's influence Elarie Send a private message to Elarie Feb 12, 9:19pm
                                    While all that is true Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 12, 9:23pm
                                    yes but.. book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 12, 9:26pm
                                    Tolkien thought so too simplyaven Send a private message to simplyaven Feb 15, 4:15am
                    Wow. MyPrecioussss Send a private message to MyPrecioussss Feb 13, 9:45pm
                        you miss my point. book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 13, 10:55pm
                        My goodness wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Feb 14, 12:27am
                            Well said... Rowan Greene Send a private message to Rowan Greene Feb 14, 2:52am
                            Token females unnecessary Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Feb 14, 9:38am
                            Indeed! // simplyaven Send a private message to simplyaven Feb 15, 4:31am
                        So wait, Tolkien's story as written is incredibly harmful and is in dire need of changing? Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 14, 1:38pm
                        Harmful? Not even mostly harmful. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 14, 3:14pm
                        I see your point but.. glor Send a private message to glor Feb 14, 4:25pm
                            Tauriel can be both eye candy (of a sort) and a female voice. Noria Send a private message to Noria Feb 14, 8:27pm
                        I'm a woman and share his opinion simplyaven Send a private message to simplyaven Feb 15, 4:30am
            subject marillaraina Send a private message to marillaraina Feb 12, 11:07pm
        Love, crush, sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Feb 13, 3:45pm
            Yep... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Feb 13, 5:05pm
    Tauriel warming up to Kili Elarie Send a private message to Elarie Feb 12, 2:26pm
        Lol no wonder he does Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 12, 2:35pm
    I disagree with your friend Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Feb 12, 2:48pm
    Rather ironic... MyPrecioussss Send a private message to MyPrecioussss Feb 12, 4:06pm
        I'm not sure what you mean 7.62 mm FMJ Send a private message to 7.62 mm FMJ Feb 12, 6:51pm
    An observation wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Feb 12, 5:20pm
        well book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 12, 5:29pm
            I hope so NecromancerRising Send a private message to NecromancerRising Feb 12, 5:35pm
            Ok wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Feb 12, 5:41pm
                Hahaha Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 12, 5:46pm
            Who are you to say... Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 12, 5:42pm
                Music wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Feb 12, 5:47pm
    Regarding screentime... 7.62 mm FMJ Send a private message to 7.62 mm FMJ Feb 12, 6:00pm
        I personally think the writers did the best they could Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 12, 6:04pm
            Fair enough... 7.62 mm FMJ Send a private message to 7.62 mm FMJ Feb 12, 10:40pm
                I think otherwise! Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 13, 4:15am
                    Here's the issue 7.62 mm FMJ Send a private message to 7.62 mm FMJ Feb 13, 6:40am
                        Bard is another voice of reason Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 13, 6:46am
                            So wonderinglinguist Send a private message to wonderinglinguist Feb 13, 4:53pm
                    Offering Context and emotional bandwidth Michelle Johnston Feb 20, 6:29am
    Has Kili ever seen a female warrior before? Elarie Send a private message to Elarie Feb 12, 8:19pm
        Probably not Elanor of Rohan Send a private message to Elanor of Rohan Feb 12, 8:50pm
    Interested to see where they are going with Tauriel in TABA Bernhardina Send a private message to Bernhardina Feb 13, 9:22am
    Could have been a good character imin Send a private message to imin Feb 13, 8:25pm
    They said Tauriel was written EomundDaughter Send a private message to EomundDaughter Feb 15, 9:38pm
    Evangeline Lilly should have EomundDaughter Send a private message to EomundDaughter Mar 23, 11:54am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.