Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Am I the last person on TORn who hasn't seen DOS?
Poll: Am I the last person on TORn who hasn't seen DOS?
I have seen DOS once.
I have seen DOS many times.
What are you doing on TORn, anyway?
I have not seen DOS but I plan to.
I have not seen DOS and I don't plan to.
View Results (55 votes)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 2 2014, 10:26pm

Post #1 of 17 (387 views)
Shortcut
Am I the last person on TORn who hasn't seen DOS? Can't Post

Simple question, simple answers.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Jan 3 2014, 5:02am

Post #2 of 17 (213 views)
Shortcut
Just got back from a second viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

I mention it at all because the guy I went with hasn't seen any of Jackson's Middle-earth movies nor has he read any Tolkien. Its not in protest or anything he just hasn't gotten around to it.

I asked him if he was able to make sense of what was happening and if he liked it. He said he liked it well enough, that it works as a stand alone movie except for the cliff-hanger (he thought it ended rather abruptly).

Anyway, I've seen it twice (not an option in your poll).

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Jan 3 2014, 5:03am)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 3 2014, 5:30am

Post #3 of 17 (206 views)
Shortcut
No, you're not, and unless [In reply to] Can't Post

my kids are up for it this weekend, it'll be another week at least before I get to go. sniff.

sador
Half-elven

Jan 3 2014, 7:24am

Post #4 of 17 (201 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll try to find a time next week, but my son's schedule is tight, and so is mine. We'll see.

demnation
Rohan

Jan 3 2014, 8:15am

Post #5 of 17 (207 views)
Shortcut
Seen it once [In reply to] Can't Post

And am not really prepared to sit through it again anytime soon. Perhaps when the DVD comes out.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2014, 5:51pm

Post #6 of 17 (177 views)
Shortcut
Saw it for the second time this week [In reply to] Can't Post

and liked it a whole lot better than the first time, probably because I knew what to expect, and what not to expect. Will try to catch it again before it leaves the theatres, which doesn't seem to be any time soon.

Queen of Erebor
Lorien

Jan 3 2014, 11:20pm

Post #7 of 17 (170 views)
Shortcut
I've seen it three times so far... [In reply to] Can't Post

all in 3D (I don't usually view the 2D version until it changes theaters, and that might be a while, since it's still pretty busy). The first time in the new HFR 3D, and the other two times in regular RealD 3D. Unfortunately, I won't get to see it a fourth time until next weekend (since the kid's are going to be back in school next week, there will be no more daily matinees, and I don't have a vehicle to go to an evening show. If I did, I would probably go on a Tuesday, since it's cheap night). I may cave and go this weekend (I haven't decided yet), since I can't seem to get enough of Thorin.Smile

Sam20
Lorien

Jan 4 2014, 3:40am

Post #8 of 17 (160 views)
Shortcut
DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen it once in RealD 3D and that will be it for me. The movie was ''OK'' I mean as an entity of it's own, apart from the book. I plan to give it a second viewing and catch up the appendices when it is released in DVD in a few months.

Doubtless most people here have seen it. We are all fans of the imaginary world of Tolkien after all. A movie based on it stirrs curiosity. Smile

But hey, even if you don't get to see it in theater, that's not the end of the world. I never saw the LOTR trilogy in theater. I am catching up with The Hobbit though.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Jan 4 2014, 3:45am)

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 4 2014, 7:08pm

Post #9 of 17 (143 views)
Shortcut
I saw it just the once [In reply to] Can't Post

Entertaining enough on its own terms I suppose, but not a particularly good film or adaption IMO.

I will probably buy/rent the EE when it comes out, but at this point my feelings on The Hobbit Trilogy are indifferent at best, so I'm not really in any hurry to see it again.

dik-dik
Lorien

Jan 4 2014, 8:48pm

Post #10 of 17 (137 views)
Shortcut
I'm planning to see DoS once... [In reply to] Can't Post

... or twice if I unexpectedly like it. You're not alone.

CuriousG
Valinor

Jan 7 2014, 1:34pm

Post #11 of 17 (147 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen it [In reply to] Can't Post

And won't go to the theater for it, so I'm waiting for a DVD or online option. I only enjoyed parts of AUJ and am certain I'll want a fast-forward ability to skip through parts of DOS.

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 9 2014, 4:29pm

Post #12 of 17 (118 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Once was more than enough.

Patty
Immortal

Jan 17 2014, 10:48pm

Post #13 of 17 (117 views)
Shortcut
This. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will watch the blu-ray, but once was enough for me in the theater.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jan 26 2014, 8:18am

Post #14 of 17 (68 views)
Shortcut
Saw it once. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's enough. I'll see it again a time or two when the Blu-ray comes out, then again when the EE comes out, maybe more if it's more substantial than the AUJ EE was.

These movies just aren't the classics that i can't wait to watch over and over like the LotR films were, and are.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 7 2014, 3:47pm

Post #15 of 17 (60 views)
Shortcut
You know, I really am not a fan of going to the theatre anymore... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just might wait till TABA comes out on blu-ray to see it. Unless it's tons better than DoS, I may only watch it in the comfort of my home.
Patty Jr. hates when I say this. He feels like I should be so much of a fan that I go see it in the theater asap. I guess he hasn't heard of NARF. I told him a real fan would want to see the movie in optimal conditions. For me, that means at home.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2014, 5:03pm

Post #16 of 17 (48 views)
Shortcut
All the comforts of home has its attractions... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just might wait till TABA comes out on blu-ray to see it. Unless it's tons better than DoS, I may only watch it in the comfort of my home.
Patty Jr. hates when I say this. He feels like I should be so much of a fan that I go see it in the theater asap. I guess he hasn't heard of NARF. I told him a real fan would want to see the movie in optimal conditions. For me, that means at home.

...but there's also a lot to be said for the overwhelming presence of Smaug on a big screen.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 7 2014, 5:49pm

Post #17 of 17 (68 views)
Shortcut
There is, you are right. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Middle-earth movies are the reason I have gotten bigger TVs since Fellowship came out on disc.

I did see DoS in the theater, mostly because I wanted to see what HFR looked like. I've seen it now (and loved it !) and I saw the dragon. Now I'll have to be content seeing him on a 65 inch screen.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.