Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Casting Choices

Elskidor
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 6:41am

Post #1 of 19 (664 views)
Shortcut
Casting Choices Can't Post

Now, I stumbled up an odd bit of information that I was not aware of. Some of the people that were originally intended to star in these films are down right odd. I did not know Sean Connery or Bruce Willis were wanted for Gandalf or Boromir for example. I can not imagine it if this ended happening. What do you think? Would you change casting now, or do you like who was picked. Who would you replace and with who if you have someone in mind.

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 7: Semifinals)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=710095;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

or found in the Pollantir

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 2:33pm

Post #2 of 19 (338 views)
Shortcut
everythings fine [In reply to] Can't Post

as it is.
The Cast is a main reason why the trilogy is so awesome.

Elskidor
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 2:57pm

Post #3 of 19 (326 views)
Shortcut
Oh I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

but seeing some of those early choices are just funny to me. Bruce Willis as Boromir. I can't see it. Nor Sean Connery as Gandalf. Vin Deasal and Nicholas Cage were either offered or tried to get the role of Aragorn too. Some of these guys I just think are odd and funny picks.

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=710095;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 3:12pm

Post #4 of 19 (321 views)
Shortcut
maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

even Ben Stiller as Pippin.

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Feb 3 2014, 3:14pm)

Elskidor
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 4:05pm

Post #5 of 19 (315 views)
Shortcut
Was this actually ever [In reply to] Can't Post

a possibility? I've never heard that he was ever offered the role or auditioned for it.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 4:27pm

Post #6 of 19 (299 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
a possibility? I've never heard that he was ever offered the role or auditioned for it.

Was joking ;-)
But he would have fitted i guess....

Billy Boyd, no offense , you're great ! :-)

malickfan
Gondor

Feb 3 2014, 4:49pm

Post #7 of 19 (294 views)
Shortcut
The cast was pretty much perfect [In reply to] Can't Post

Great chemistry, lots of energy and committed very believable performances, though I have issues with the script there aren't many people I'd consider recasting, purely because the cast seemed to suit the type of film Jackson was making.

(maybe Charles Dance as Saruman, and Guy Pearce as Legolas)

I never really warmed to Elijah Wood as Frodo, even before reading the book I found Frodo a bit young and whiny in the films, almost too innocent, though Wood was rather impressive (It's hard to believe he was 18 when cast) I just didn't enjoy his performance. I was never convinced by Craig Parker as Haldir, a rather wooden performance and he looked more like a Bus Driver in a wig than a Elven Warrior.

As for rumours, the weirdest yet most brilliant I've read was Tom Baker (aka The Fourth Doctor) being linked with Tom Bombadil in the very earliest days of pre production, that would have been interesting!

If it's not in your Appendices, maybe it's in mine?

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 3 2014, 5:33pm

Post #8 of 19 (294 views)
Shortcut
I don't think that Bruce Willis was a credible rumor [In reply to] Can't Post

He was part of a list of actors under consideration but that list was later debunked.

However, one actor was attached to the cast for Theoden and left the production before Bernard Hill was brought in.

The road not taken - Who was cast as Theoden *before* Bernard Hill

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Feb 3 2014, 5:59pm

Post #9 of 19 (268 views)
Shortcut
I thought everyone did a great job. [In reply to] Can't Post

The only thing I could possibly say is that I still find it hard to believe that they couldn't find any actors of short stature (I'm talking 4 1/2 feet and under) to play the Hobbits.

Billy Kwans and Tyrion Lannisters don't come along that often, and if I were a good actor who may have dreamed of these roles my whole life and had alot fewer opportunities for juicy roles than average sized folks, I would have been pretty upset that I wasn't under consideration for great roles for which I could reasonably have finally thought short folks would be frontrunners.

To be fair, I don't know if the casting directors did honestly look and couldn't find enough actors who really would have been good fits, or if the team always knew they would be casting average sized people as the Hobbits.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 3 2014, 6:56pm

Post #10 of 19 (295 views)
Shortcut
Stuart Townsend as Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's one that became reality, right into the early days of production when he was replaced with Viggo. How anyone thought that this young pretty-boy would be suitable for Strider, I will never understand.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

demnation
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 8:23pm

Post #11 of 19 (271 views)
Shortcut
The cast is the only perfect thing about these films, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I will always appreciate the cast for their dedication to the story. There is a scene in FOTR where Gandalf and Elrond are debating Sauron and Saruman's motivations. The actors are not hammy or OTT. They are debating it like it was an actual real life issue. And I'm constantly impressed with Elijah Wood, considering he was only 19.
All the casting worked out for the best, I think.

Meneldor
Grey Havens

Feb 3 2014, 11:28pm

Post #12 of 19 (280 views)
Shortcut
In the commentary for RotK [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ admits that he wanted Arnold Schwarzenegger as Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth.

I think he was making a joke... ?

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

glor
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 2:35am

Post #13 of 19 (241 views)
Shortcut
Faramir? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't there a rumour, even a comment on one the LOTR extras that the team had a Faramir almost cast but, they decided when they did a screen test with a Seab Bean height alike, that he would have been to tall and messed up the perspective shots?

perhaps I imagined it..

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 7:25pm

Post #14 of 19 (207 views)
Shortcut
The cast mostly worked [In reply to] Can't Post

The more I re-watch the movies, the more some people grow on me. For example, I didn't like Liv Tyler as Arwen when watching the theatrical versions, but I really like her now. There is something about seeing an actor in a movie and having to forget their past movie roles if they conflict with the present one, and I still had her as a bratty, shallow girl in my mind. ("Armageddon")

Likewise, seeing the evil Agent from the Matrix cast as wise, good, kindly Elrond was a shock in the theater. It's taken repeated viewings to get used to him, and I think he did a pretty good job.

What's remarkable to me is that I like Cate Blanchett *a lot* as an actor and enjoy just about everything she's done, and I appreciate the broad range of people she's played (including a psychic in the rural US south--not exactly Queen Elizabeth!), but I can never warm up to her as Galadriel. Every time I see her in the movies, I wish someone else was in her place. And it seems bad acting to me on her part, like she's just going through the motions and it's just another gig. Yes, I know that Galadriel is a much-revered character and hard to cast, but she doesn't do it for me no matter how hard I try. (I bet Virginia Hey, who played Zhaan in Farscape, could nail that role.)

Standouts for me are Viggo as Aragorn and Sean Bean as Boromir. They made the movie characters richer in my mind than the book characters. I was surprised by that.

Bruce Willis? I guess he could play an Orc. With no speaking, just action. Schwarzenegger could play the cave troll. See, there's room for everyone.

BlackFox
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 8:16pm

Post #15 of 19 (209 views)
Shortcut
Oh my... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bruce Willis? I guess he could play an Orc. With no speaking, just action. Schwarzenegger could play the cave troll. See, there's room for everyone.

You, sir, just made my day. Laugh

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

Nerven
Rivendell

Feb 6 2014, 9:51pm

Post #16 of 19 (182 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Virginia Hey is 61, so not that right for Galadriel, Im really a fan of Cate and I think shes really pretty, but I think Galadriel should be more beautiful, like sophie marceau in Bravehart or Jennifer Lawrence. With Cate acting regarding Galadriel, Im OK.

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 11:08pm

Post #17 of 19 (163 views)
Shortcut
Vin Diesel vs. The Nazgul on Weathertop [In reply to] Can't Post

If he reprised his Riddick role in Pitch Black, he could have credibly whipped them all, and showing the fight via his night vision would have been a cool twist.

Otherwise, I think he'd fit the Strider role about as well as the Frodo role. Not too well. Only Benedict Cumberbatch can be cast in every role, it seems. :)

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 5:30pm

Post #18 of 19 (180 views)
Shortcut
Original trailer for FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first saw the trailer (not having known there was going to be a film about LOTR at that time) and Sean Bean crested the hill I thought "Oh he'll be great as Aragorn!" and then realized he wasn't. Nothing against Viggo but I didn't know him then. Blush

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 27 2014, 7:41pm

Post #19 of 19 (61 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's one that became reality, right into the early days of production when he was replaced with Viggo. How anyone thought that this young pretty-boy would be suitable for Strider, I will never understand.

I wonder about that too. To me it seems that virtually every other casting choice they made was so excellent, that this one was a puzzler. Perhaps he might have made a good Elf though.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.