Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
One does not simply walk into Mordor...

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Feb 6 2014, 4:44pm

Post #1 of 13 (494 views)
Shortcut
One does not simply walk into Mordor... Can't Post

But does anyone know how far a journey it was to Mordor.

Tolkien fans are great in this way, i am sure someone somewhere has taken the time & effort to figure out the mileage of the journey of the Fellowship.

I have a map of Middle Earth in my house, but there is no scale, any idea how far Hobbiton is from rivendell? From Mordor?

Not all those who wander are lost

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Feb 6 2014, 7:22pm

Post #2 of 13 (267 views)
Shortcut
A similar question [In reply to] Can't Post

A similar question was asked on another forum. With regards to distance in miles you can get a couple of answers.

1) About 1100 miles as the crow flies
2) 1560 miles or so as walked by Frodo himself

hope that helped.

-----------------------------------------------------
The Leather Library...Philosophy, Great Literature, Pipes and the Finer things in life. Check out the YouTube channel and Blog

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBBCorps
Blog: theleatherlibraryblog.com

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Feb 6 2014, 7:35pm

Post #3 of 13 (233 views)
Shortcut
Nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for that answer. That sure is a long way to walk!

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Feb 6 2014, 7:36pm

Post #4 of 13 (232 views)
Shortcut
A long walk indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed it was.

-----------------------------------------------------
The Leather Library...Philosophy, Great Literature, Pipes and the Finer things in life. Check out the YouTube channel and Blog

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBBCorps
Blog: theleatherlibraryblog.com

acheron
Gondor

Feb 6 2014, 9:09pm

Post #5 of 13 (238 views)
Shortcut
If questions like this interest you [In reply to] Can't Post

then I can not recommend highly enough Karen Fonstad's Atlas of Middle-earth. Fantastic book, full of all the geographical information you could want, both about LOTR and the Silmarillion.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Plurmo
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 9:37pm

Post #6 of 13 (199 views)
Shortcut
If you need precision, consider sending a pm to Auraran. [In reply to] Can't Post

That kind of challenge might interest him.

Take a look at this excellent post of his about the length of the secret tunnel into the Lonely Mountain:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...orum.cgi?post=339339

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Feb 6 2014, 9:40pm

Post #7 of 13 (186 views)
Shortcut
you gotta love the passion of Tolkien fans... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I do!

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 9:50pm

Post #8 of 13 (182 views)
Shortcut
I want to know about the aerial route [In reply to] Can't Post

If an Eagle flew the Ring to Mt Doom, how long would it take? How fast do they fly, and how often do they stop to rest and sleep and eat, and what are the prevailing winds and updrafts? Surely someone has figured all that out by now.

If an Eagle dropped the Ring in Orodruin, wouldn't the resulting burst of heat singe its feathers and prevent it from flying properly to escape? Hey, I just figured out why the Eagles wouldn't do the deed!

Barrow-Wight
Lorien

Feb 6 2014, 11:25pm

Post #9 of 13 (184 views)
Shortcut
I once found a site [In reply to] Can't Post

that said how long it would take by eagle, car, bicycle and plane I just can't remember it now I think it said 3 hours for a plane

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Feb 7 2014, 12:57am

Post #10 of 13 (165 views)
Shortcut
I would second that! [In reply to] Can't Post

dreamflower
Lorien

Feb 7 2014, 1:40pm

Post #11 of 13 (165 views)
Shortcut
Useful sites [In reply to] Can't Post

Walk to Rivendell (on foot; this is part of the Eowyn's challenge fitness site; continues past Rivendell)
http://home.insightbb.com/.../tools.html#Location

Travel Routes and Times in Middle-earth (deals mostly with horse/pony back)
http://www.theoriginalseries.com/traveltimes.htm

Felagund
Lorien

Feb 7 2014, 10:01pm

Post #12 of 13 (146 views)
Shortcut
Strachey's Journeys of Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

Fonstad's Atlas is brilliant. There's also Barbara Strachey's Journeys of Frodo, which probably has more of the focus you're after.

Welcome to the Mordorfone network, where we put the 'hai' back into Uruk

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 9 2014, 7:51pm

Post #13 of 13 (124 views)
Shortcut
I second dreamflower's suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

The Eowyn Challenge site uses Karen Wynn Fonstad's atlas (mentioned by another poster above) and the two together provide a lot of helpful information about relative distances in Middle Earth, for many of the journeys mentioned in LOTR and TH.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.