Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The opening of TABA- How are they going to build emotion so quickly?

hms_ocean
Bree

Feb 7, 1:17pm

Views: 674
Shortcut
The opening of TABA- How are they going to build emotion so quickly? Can't Post

The ending of DOS and the beginning of TABA has given the unique opportunity in a trilogy in the fact that it will open with such a powerful and emotional scene if it turns out that way (loved the ending of DOS btw, such a powerful ending and the style of writing I rather missed from the LOTR films and wish they had including more of now). Leaves you on such a tension. Very Game of Thrones.

Anyway, I've been trying to think of how they are going to do this. I know plenty of movies start with an action packed scene but they are usually a prologue or not looking for such emotional involvement, especially for key characters and places. It's such an important scene to me with regards the movies, I mean one of the main points of the film and the majority of the story line- Aren't we hear to see a powerful fire breathing dragon who apparently is Fire and Death?

What makes this an even harder challenge is the fact that all the movies have started with a prologue so once again I'm not sure how they are going to work this in. I feel it too is going to have to be a very powerful scene and something along the lines with what's about to happen, to fit in at all (perhaps a back story for Bard and his family?, Sauron and the Rings).

So here's a couple of ways they could do it-
1. The destruction of Lake Town could possibly be not the first couple of scenes of this movie. We could have the prologue, scenes with the dwarfs and Biblo, the White Council, Lake Town ect. However this would partly destroy the purpose of leaving DOS on a cliff hanger.

2. If I was the director, I would slightly rip off the movie Reign of Fire (if you haven't seen it, watch it now!) and have all the people sleeping in Lake Town and all's quiet and then the sound of Smaugs wings and his voice. Sort of like- Dragons Breath

3. If they really wanted to go for an emotional opening, you could start off with the event taking place and Lake Town already in flames and everyone screaming and Smaug still destroying everything. But then we would miss all the action of Smaug flying to the town and starting to burn it.

My feeling is, with the tone that has now been set at the end of DOS and the tension and cliff hanger feeling they have created, the Hobbit films can no longer rely on the theatrical epic story telling that LOTR focused on (sort of like the prologue of AUJ). For me the scene should be more gritty, powerful, emotional and play on things like sound, suffocation, silence ect. Basically packed with tension and emotion.

What's does everyone think. A. How do you think they will pull this off and B. If you had a choice, how would you do it?

Subject User Time
The opening of TABA- How are they going to build emotion so quickly? hms_ocean Send a private message to hms_ocean Feb 7, 1:17pm
    moria book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 7, 1:53pm
        Historically speaking... Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 7, 6:07pm
    #2 is close to how the chapter begins in the book Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 7, 3:06pm
    Like this swampB Send a private message to swampB Feb 7, 4:00pm
        maybe book Gandalf Send a private message to book Gandalf Feb 7, 4:23pm
    Maybe they need to start with Gandalf iduna Send a private message to iduna Feb 7, 4:27pm
    Another Flashback: Dain Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Feb 7, 4:34pm
    Two options Elondria Send a private message to Elondria Feb 7, 5:19pm
    It would be EXTREMELY awkward Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 7, 6:09pm
        In AUJ Thaddeus Send a private message to Thaddeus Feb 7, 10:35pm
    Definitely a prologue Kilidoescartwheels Send a private message to Kilidoescartwheels Feb 8, 3:56am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.