Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Long wait
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elskidor
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 7:21am

Post #1 of 27 (699 views)
Shortcut
Long wait Can't Post

At least we don't have to wait 3 years until the finale, but waiting is never fun regardless. On a scale 1-10 how excited are you for the third installment?

ROUND 8 is up. Tolkien character elimination game semifinals part 2.

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=712653;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

or found in the Pollantir

kilifili
The Shire

Feb 7 2014, 7:52am

Post #2 of 27 (389 views)
Shortcut
Very.... [In reply to] Can't Post

For me it is 10 without a doubt. Cant wait to see the dragon attack, Thranduil in action, Thorin suffering from dragon sickness, the battle of five armies... and of course, what will happen to the characters we are holding dear: Thorin, Fili, Kili, Radagast, Tauriel, Bard... Who will die and how? I am hoping for more intensive, quiet and emotional scenes showing the deep relations between the characters (Fili-Kili, Fili-Kili-Thorin, Thorin-Bilbo,...). Waahh, cant wait to see it!
Tonight I will watch DOS in theatre for the sixth time cause I am fearing it will not be available for long anymore.

"Do you think she could have loved me...?"

CathrineB
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 8:42am

Post #3 of 27 (369 views)
Shortcut
10 [In reply to] Can't Post

10 and beyond Laugh

BlackFox
Valinor

Feb 7 2014, 9:48am

Post #4 of 27 (333 views)
Shortcut
10, of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

phij2
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 10:04am

Post #5 of 27 (323 views)
Shortcut

I can't wait, it's like physical painCrazy

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Feb 7 2014, 10:43am

Post #6 of 27 (311 views)
Shortcut
10+ [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Feb 7 2014, 11:05am

Post #7 of 27 (309 views)
Shortcut
10/10 [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'll be watching it with a mammoth-sized bag of kleenex....
I cried a lot during ROTK and there was much less to cry about. So I am both yearning and dreading to see TABASmile

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 11:15am

Post #8 of 27 (300 views)
Shortcut
10! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've already reached the same state of excitement I had after TTT ... gosh, so many things I look forward to in TABA

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Beorn's Bees
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 11:36am

Post #9 of 27 (296 views)
Shortcut
11! [In reply to] Can't Post

Without a doubt an 11! So excited!!!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 7 2014, 1:37pm

Post #10 of 27 (261 views)
Shortcut

But apprehensive about certain things – hope the things that went wrong for me in DoS don't occur again in TABA.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 7 2014, 1:43pm

Post #11 of 27 (278 views)
Shortcut
On a scale of one to ten, 12..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but also apprehensive about the face that this is the last time. So, I desperately want to see the film, but at the same time I don't want it to end.

Actually, my priority now isn't so much There and Back Again. Right now what I'm really looking forward to is the DVD of DoS, followed by the trailers and spin-off books for TABA, and the EE of DoS (and crossing fingers that it will be a long one). All of these things can come and be enjoyed without being the end.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 1:59pm

Post #12 of 27 (271 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

No top-tier protagonist died in LOTR, so it will be interesting to see how those not familiar with Tolkien will react to such a thing happening this time around.

FoFo64
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 2:24pm

Post #13 of 27 (267 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

I consider Boromir a top-tier character during FOTR. Yes, he's clearly being corrupted from the Council of Elrond onward, however, he is very much a member of the Fellowship as everyone else is. I consider everyone in the Fellowship a top-tier character. They're all important.

I do agree though, that in terms of pure numbers of deaths. The Hobbit has way more top-tier characters die and that is something that I imagine the audience will not expect. Moreso, even because in two movies the Dwarves have proven nearly indestructible, having survived one impossible situation after another. So that alone will truly cause audiences to be taken by surprise lol.

In Reply To
No top-tier protagonist died in LOTR, so it will be interesting to see how those not familiar with Tolkien will react to such a thing happening this time around.

'It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing...such a little thing...' Boromir; Fellowship of the Ring Film

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Feb 7 2014, 2:25pm

Post #14 of 27 (275 views)
Shortcut
End? [In reply to] Can't Post

No, the journey doesn't end here. This is just another path. One that we all must take.

The white shores and the far green country under a swift sunrise is the everlasting existence of the films on DVD/BluRay/etc. The films will no more end than the books have, all these decades later. Do I think that Jackson's films have the same lasting importance as Tolkien's books? Perhaps not, though only time will tell. But I do know that I am glad that twenty years from now, I will have the opportunity to enjoy both, and to learn still new things from each of them.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 7 2014, 2:30pm

Post #15 of 27 (264 views)
Shortcut
If TORn had a 'favourite' button.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would!

Thanks for this, Voronwe.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 3:20pm

Post #16 of 27 (235 views)
Shortcut

The thing I'm most looking forward to is the Battle of Dol Goldur. I hope it's epic and we get to see all the wizards kicking butt, even if they use a stunt double for Christopher Lee. But first I'm looking forward to the DoS EE. I want to see the rest of Beorn's scenes, Thrain, and whatever else they cut out.

BlackFox
Valinor

Feb 7 2014, 3:32pm

Post #17 of 27 (232 views)
Shortcut
Well said! [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely agree with dormouse. Smile

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 3:51pm

Post #18 of 27 (230 views)
Shortcut
Subjectivity, I suppose [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Boromir was always sort of the 'weak link' in the Fellowship (having been seduced by the ring almost immediately) and his downfall was telegraphed almost every step of the way, his death shouldn't have come as much of a surprise in the films -- whether one would consider him top-tier or not. I don't think many casual viewers will be expecting not only the heir to the throne of Erebor but also the next 2 in line to the throne to all be killed.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 7 2014, 4:11pm

Post #19 of 27 (236 views)
Shortcut
I'm excited, but not for the reason you would expect... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm excited because this means it will be sooner rather than later that the box set MAY be put out. You know, the long rumored box set with all the Middle-earth movies and the DELETED SCENES from LotR, which I have dubbed "the Precious".

As for the movie itself, I haven't been a huge fan of the Hobbit movies, and I was only a minimal fan of the books. Not like LotR. I'd love to see a dramatization of The Sil someday, but I doubt I will. I'm only anxious about the movie itself to see how they end it. I'll probably wait and watch it on disc at home, if that tells you anything.

Permanent address: Into the West

FoFo64
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 4:13pm

Post #20 of 27 (224 views)
Shortcut
I still think people will be surprised. [In reply to] Can't Post

No, yeah I still think people will be very surprised by the deaths in TABA. And like I said before, particularly cause the dwarves have been so nearly indestructible in the last two movies.

As for Boromir, it may be subjective yes. I saw FOTR before I ever read the books, the films were my intro to the world of Tolkien. Personally, I was very surprised when Boromir died during FOTR, despite the fact that he was tempted. Because to me he was still a member of the Fellowship and as such a main character. I am also perhaps biased in that Boromir is prob my favorite character in the story, hence my SIG. Tongue I have a soft spot for flawed tragic heroes and tragic villains, in all stories.

In Reply To
Because Boromir was always sort of the 'weak link' in the Fellowship (having been seduced by the ring almost immediately) and his downfall was telegraphed almost every step of the way, his death shouldn't have come as much of a surprise in the films -- whether one would consider him top-tier or not. I don't think many casual viewers will be expecting not only the heir to the throne of Erebor but also the next 2 in line to the throne to all be killed.

'It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing...such a little thing...' Boromir; Fellowship of the Ring Film

(This post was edited by FoFo64 on Feb 7 2014, 4:15pm)

Elondria
The Shire

Feb 7 2014, 4:55pm

Post #21 of 27 (200 views)
Shortcut
Already making arrangements [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so excited that I'm already planning what day I'm going to go and at which theater. I've even picked my seat! Laugh Do I want to go opening day because I simply can't wait any longer but have to deal with fangirl crowds? Or do I want to wait a month to get a slimmer audience for a more intimate viewing but risk spoilers? (Not to mention the anxiety of "but I want to see it NOW!") All I know for sure is that I'm going in the middle of the day in the middle of the week so hopefully most people will be at school or work. And yes, I'll be taking a day off for this.

I hear your still voice calling my heart… I’d rip my world down to follow the sound. –Nine Lashes

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 7 2014, 5:01pm

Post #22 of 27 (200 views)
Shortcut
5/10 [In reply to] Can't Post

it's just a place I haven't been before re movies - for me there's NEVER enough of what's become my favorite movie series, and part of me is dying of curiosity. And there is stuff I am really looking forward to seeing. There's never enough of the dwarves, for one thing. And for me there's the whole Smaug is on his way to Laketown and what is going to happen to the dwarves/Bard there, and how does Thranduil get involved, and how soon and how fast is Thorin going to sicken and what's going to happen to my magnificent favorite character and what will happen to Bilbo?

The other part of me - *meh*. This isn't stuff I'm going to ENJOY, the way I think of being happy for a film. And I don't enjoy feeling nervous about it. But do "love" a good battle scene. Wildly curious about the Iron Hills dwarves, since they might be the first *bleep* dwarves who help Thorin, finally - about time. And how is that going to happen?

Not to mention that w. TABA, assuming PJ will be warehousing everything. It's been so much fun w. these movies from the anticipation to the fan community to the blogs - watching PJ create ME in New Zealand, and he let the fans be part of it all.

10/10 for the DOS Bluray/DVD tho and EE version. Driving me crazy I don't already have them.

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 5:54pm

Post #23 of 27 (176 views)
Shortcut
10! And [In reply to] Can't Post

10 for the DOS EE too.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 10:48pm

Post #24 of 27 (121 views)
Shortcut
Kleenex [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but I'll be watching it with a mammoth-sized bag of kleenex....
I cried a lot during ROTK and there was much less to cry about. So I am both yearning and dreading to see TABASmile

The problem with already wearing glasses, then putting 3D specs on top of those, is two barriers to try and get my tissues under. What a handicap! I can see things getting annoyingly smeary, and then missing bits while I try to clean up. Maybe should see in 2D the first time, then at least I will know when my crying bits are coming,. for the essential 3D iMaxx session.

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 11:02pm

Post #25 of 27 (114 views)
Shortcut
I won't be able to avoid those crowds! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm so excited that I'm already planning what day I'm going to go and at which theater. I've even picked my seat! Laugh Do I want to go opening day because I simply can't wait any longer but have to deal with fangirl crowds? Or do I want to wait a month to get a slimmer audience for a more intimate viewing but risk spoilers? (Not to mention the anxiety of "but I want to see it NOW!") All I know for sure is that I'm going in the middle of the day in the middle of the week so hopefully most people will be at school or work. And yes, I'll be taking a day off for this.

I'm disadvantaged by being in Australia, when it won't open until Dec 26th, as has been the custom. That's when half the (city) population goes to the beach / the Boxing day sales / movies. But to wait any longer, and will already have had to stay off TORn for the first two weeks of responses.... arrggh! I will be champing at the bit!

Then, with holidays underway, every session will be packed for some time. I have noticed however, that Australian cinemas aren't quite so prone to loud or vocal fangirling. Audiences are relatively quiet. At least in my experience.

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Feb 7 2014, 11:03pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.