Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or Super Bowl Commercials did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 3 2014, 9:01pm

Post #26 of 44 (162 views)
Shortcut
Let's focus on the Olympics! [In reply to] Can't Post

This will be a festival for the spirit, no?Smile

Let's join with these athletes in celebration!

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
ó J.R.R. Tolkien

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 3 2014, 9:28pm

Post #27 of 44 (151 views)
Shortcut
Chores [In reply to] Can't Post

and madly watching blocks of Robin Hood and staring in awe at the black leather and laughing at the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Super Bowl? I so don't care.....but had a mess of crab legs w. butter to celebrate the game I didn't watch. Will be watching the Olympics tho.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2014, 11:50pm

Post #28 of 44 (149 views)
Shortcut
The Ghost and Mrs Muir [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful movie. Gene Tierney is as talented as she is beautiful, and has great chemistry with charming rogue Rex Harrison. They don't make movies like that anymore.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2014, 12:09am

Post #29 of 44 (142 views)
Shortcut
I love this movie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have this movie! Hmmm... May be time to visit with the Captain and his muse.

And George Sanders - the original charmingly slimy velvet-toned bad guy. Ooooh, gave me the shivers.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

sevilodorf
Gondor

Feb 4 2014, 1:40am

Post #30 of 44 (135 views)
Shortcut
Captain Phillips, The Defiant Ones, [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Phillips.... a B- .... good but not great, and I can't understand why it received a Best Picture nomination or a nomination for Supporting Actor.

Classic Movie -- The Defiant Ones.... Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier -- interesting to see the relationship -- also the note at the end that Tony Curtis asked that Poitier receive equal billing when originally he was to receive supporting actor billing.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 4 2014, 2:35am

Post #31 of 44 (135 views)
Shortcut
I was a tiny bit bored by Captain Phillips, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Hanks's very last scene blew me away.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 5:17pm

Post #32 of 44 (118 views)
Shortcut
Lessee... [In reply to] Can't Post

Um, I was finally persuaded by a friend to watch Howl's Moving Castle. SO GLAD I did! Smile I found that I didn't really mind at all that it diverged from the book, as I was too entranced by the gorgeous animation, music, etc. to really care. And Christian Bale provided Howl's voice, so I about keeled over with laughter when the credits came up and I saw that. Billy Crystal also did the voice of Calcifer the fire demon, and may I say that he did an *excellent* job. My little brother thought Calcifer was so funny and the moving castle so awesome that he pretty much leaped on me when he saw me reading the book, screaming, "There's a book?!" and begging me to let him read it. He read like 50 pages yesterday.
I'm always so happy when a movie inspires my siblings to read more. Smile
I've also watched My Neighbor Totoro, so I guess I'm just on a Studio Ghibli kick at the moment. It was a super adorable movie, and after it was over I had to draw the Cat Bus, it was so cool. The rest of my family assumed it was a weird Cheshire cat. Oh, well.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 5:20pm

Post #33 of 44 (116 views)
Shortcut
Sports taken to extremes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry about the Broncos, Bomby. Unsure I'm not a huge fan of pro sports, so I wasn't watching it. I just heard about the aftermath. I got my heart broken earlier when Auburn lost the BCS, so I know how it feels.
Becoming so upset over a game that it leads to violence - and sometimes lethal violence - is a good indicator of just how obsessed some people are with sports. Take the Iron Bowl (Alabama vs. Auburn) in collegiate American football, for instance. After Auburn defeated Alabama this year/last year/last season (however it's referred to, gah), there was a story of a lady in Birmingham who shot another lady who, she thought, wasn't upset enough about the loss. And then the poor kicker who missed the field goal got all sorts of death threats on Twitter and Facebook, poor boy... Unsure
It's only a game...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Queen of Erebor
Lorien

Feb 5 2014, 12:18am

Post #34 of 44 (101 views)
Shortcut
DoS #6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, it's still playing in theaters in my neck of the woods, but it's finally moved to our cheaper theater where matinees only cost $4.50. Unfortunately, there wasn't one, so I had to go to a night showing (luckily, there was an earlier show than last week, so my mom had no problem with picking me up. It was a little too cold to walk, anyway). This is the first time I've seen a 3D movie (it was still the 3D version) in our oldest theater since they upgraded to digital and 3D technology.

Everytime I go again, I always catch something that I may have overlooked the last time. Not so much this time, but last time I went I noticed that the sword that Thorin and Co. throw around to fight off the Orcs is the one discarded by the Orc that Thorin pinned to the tree during the barrel sequence. Another thing I noticed was that when Thorin catches on fire in Erebor, it's actually the "bathrobe" that's on fire (he sure gets out of it in a hurry). Even though he looks good in whatever he wears, I think Thorin looks better in blue (so do I, to tell you the honest truth. It brings out the blue in my eyes, so I suppose it's the same with Thorin, even though my eyes are a darker shade of blue).Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 5 2014, 1:09am

Post #35 of 44 (95 views)
Shortcut
I don't understand that kind of thing at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I love baseball, but I love it for the game itself. I've played it and I love to watch people who are good at the game play it. I like the playoffs especially because the best of the best are playing and you can see some wonderful moments. I don't get football on the same level but I'm learning. And it was fun to be part of a citywide celebration that was (with only a couple of exceptions) civilized and joyful. I don't get the hating or the need to be violent towards others. What has that got to do with a game? Why hate someone for no other reason than because they cheer for another team that plays the same game? Baffling.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 5 2014, 1:14am)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2014, 8:47pm

Post #36 of 44 (72 views)
Shortcut
El Cid, 1961, Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren [In reply to] Can't Post

Epic. Which means long. Epic story, locations, sets, costumes, and action. But not a lot of fun; some light moments to contrast with the drama would have been welcome. So I'll call this one good but not great.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 7 2014, 4:57am

Post #37 of 44 (65 views)
Shortcut
Are you generally old school, [In reply to] Can't Post

in your viewing preferences, or are you going through a current phase?
I always like hearing about what you have been watching. Smile

I just watched 'Judgement at Nuremberg' (1961). Pretty heavy going but very good.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2014, 5:03am

Post #38 of 44 (66 views)
Shortcut
I have phases. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my more common recurring phases is old school and classic movies. Most movies that are considered classics gained that reputation for good reasons, so they're usually worth watching.

Still haven't seen Nuremberg. I'm familiar with the history, so I don't feel compelled to see how it ends. But I ought to add it to my queue.

(This post was edited by Meneldor on Feb 7 2014, 5:06am)

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 7 2014, 5:14am

Post #39 of 44 (75 views)
Shortcut
I'm the same [In reply to] Can't Post

with the phases thing.
There are still so many classic films to see, or see again.
One of my favourites is All about Eve - I must be due to watch that again soon.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 7 2014, 11:48am

Post #40 of 44 (60 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely one of my favorites. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I didn't care for the series.

Permanent address: Into the West

Patty
Immortal

Feb 7 2014, 11:51am

Post #41 of 44 (54 views)
Shortcut
Downton, of course, and Agents of Shield... [In reply to] Can't Post

And, we've got yet another few weeks before the next new episode..
This is not the way to make a TV series successful. Sometimes I almost forget the new one is going to be on.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Feb 7 2014, 1:48pm

Post #42 of 44 (52 views)
Shortcut
Why are they scrambling the schedules?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I know about holiday specials and award specials and the Olympics but it's a sure route to a poorly performing series. Even in this day of instant TV.... if the public expects a new episode and doesn't get one they'll get mad, get bored, get forgetful... all of the above but the ratings will suffer.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Patty
Immortal

Feb 7 2014, 1:56pm

Post #43 of 44 (41 views)
Shortcut
I agree. It's a death sentence. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could like this show if I ever knew when it was going to be coming on.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 7 2014, 2:08pm

Post #44 of 44 (46 views)
Shortcut
And... [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to be able to watch it on the iPad, but ABC decided to only make it available to certain cable providers, of which I am not one. Another nail in the coffin for this series.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.