Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Could the intercutting of the film's two cliffhangers (Smaug and Dol Guldur) at the end of DOS have produced a stronger finale?

The Grey Pilgrim
Rivendell

Feb 6, 7:19pm

Views: 538
Shortcut
Could the intercutting of the film's two cliffhangers (Smaug and Dol Guldur) at the end of DOS have produced a stronger finale? Can't Post

I am referring of course to what is in fact the ending of the movie and also the scene where Gandalf sees Sauron's forces depart. I can't help but think the end of DOS leaves the viewer a little cold. I know the intent and the tension is great, it just leaves me so incomplete (which I guess is the point but it's maddening.) I've seen it almost a dozen times now and I always have the same reaction after "What have we done?" It's just such a tease. I love the part during the Inside Information part of the film in Erebor between Bilbo and Smaug where Smaug says "The Darkness is coming, it will spread to every corner of the land," and we cut to Gandalf imprisoned seeing the vast armies of the dark lord Sauron marching out toward our heroes. I can't help but thinking having Smaug flying off and seeing Bilbo's tortured reaction then cutting to Gandalf to reinforce that he is in fact still an active participant at the end of this story and thus inter cutting Smaug's death flight toward Laketown with the army marching from Dol Guldur would have sent the tension through the roof. I know if the lights went off when seeing that Army depart and knowing Smaug is going simultaneouly, I would've gotten goosebumps. Both provide equal amounts of tension but I think leaving Gandalf out of the last 20 minutes or so of the film was a mistake and overall some method of inter cutting the two cliffhangers would have worked more; at least in my eyes.

Though "I am Fire...I am Death." is pretty powerful stuff Wink

Just an idea. Any thoughts on how you would've ended DOS, if any differently at all?

Also, this is my 100th post yay ToRn, finally! Smile (only took 3 years!) Tongue

(This post was edited by The Grey Pilgrim on Feb 6, 7:22pm)

Subject User Time
Could the intercutting of the film's two cliffhangers (Smaug and Dol Guldur) at the end of DOS have produced a stronger finale? The Grey Pilgrim Send a private message to The Grey Pilgrim Feb 6, 7:19pm
    Hm... Yes! BlackFox Send a private message to BlackFox Feb 6, 7:59pm
    Yes Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Feb 6, 8:31pm
        hm NoelGallagher Send a private message to NoelGallagher Feb 6, 9:46pm
            Hmmm Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Feb 6, 10:10pm
                For me, High Fells is not even close to being the weakest scene in the TH films macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Feb 6, 11:02pm
                    Well, I do not really care about the ranking here. Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Feb 6, 11:09pm
    A stronger finale to DOS but weaker opening to TABA Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 7, 8:17am
    Yeah Beorn's Bees Send a private message to Beorn's Bees Feb 7, 11:39am
    I think the ending to this film... BalrogTrainer Send a private message to BalrogTrainer Feb 7, 1:49pm
    Excellent idea burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Feb 7, 9:55pm
    Well I thought it was fine Kilidoescartwheels Send a private message to Kilidoescartwheels Feb 8, 3:36am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.