Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 6 2014, 10:59am

Post #376 of 402 (28858 views)
Shortcut
     THANKS! [In reply to]  

I hadn't seen this .gif before today! Nice.........!

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 6 2014, 12:51pm

Post #377 of 402 (28857 views)
Shortcut
     Awesome gif! [In reply to]  

The hair...
The dual sword wielding...
The 'battle' crown ("tiara" doesn't give it justice! Wink)....
The armour....
The swirling cape...

The splendour and magnificence that is Thranduil.

I remember seeing that scene, I think in the B roll video, and PJ shows LP the scene afterwards, and LP declares it to be "awesome!" I have to concur. And I want more.

(This post was edited by Thranduiliel on Feb 6 2014, 1:03pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2014, 3:26pm

Post #378 of 402 (28844 views)
Shortcut
     He's got two full sized swords, one in each hand (screencaps) [In reply to]  

That gif is from a scene that occurs right around 1:14 of PJ's Production Diary #12. It's hard to see it in the gif because the sword in his right hand is turned so it's not reflecting the light very well but if you watch the full vlog sequence you can see it catch the light for a second before he hits the orc with it. Then we see LP in the tent with PJ watching the playback and he laughs like a little kid and says "That's awesome!"
*a few minutes later after pausing and backtracking the vlog several times* Yes! I finally managed to get a screencap of it! Here you go. See? He's kicking orc butt with two swords! + a pic of a laughing LP just for good measure Wink

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 6 2014, 3:45pm

Post #379 of 402 (28813 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks for that! [In reply to]  

Such an amazing moment from Thranduil - and such a cute moment from Lee! I love how his hair looks slightly dishevelled from filming the scene, afterwards when he's in PJ's tent- I bet he had a team of people descend on him and his wig seconds later to restore the kingly mane back to its former glory! Cool

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Feb 6 2014, 4:20pm

Post #380 of 402 (28838 views)
Shortcut
     according to LP, in the Dos book, [In reply to]  

"Thranduil is cold and tough. Tough like a diamond."
So a battle is the right place for a diamond to shine in all its glory ...HeartHeartHeart

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 6 2014, 4:35pm

Post #381 of 402 (28837 views)
Shortcut
     Game changer indeed! [In reply to]  

Thanks for those screenshots Eruvandi! Yes, our amazing Thranduil is indeed a fearsome foe and deadly with duo swords. I can't wait to see him in action in the fullness of his glory in Bo5A and then to see him in quieter moments with Bilbo! Oh be still my fluttering heart! Heart

*dashes off to watch the production diary #12 again*

ETA: look at his expression and elegant position even whilst slaying an orc!

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Feb 6 2014, 4:45pm)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 6 2014, 11:25pm

Post #382 of 402 (28781 views)
Shortcut
     Nice screencaps, ladies! [In reply to]  

I must have missed that vlog because I don't even remember that scene and I usually remember all things Thranduil!

Thank you to both elf-lady and Eruvandi for the screencaps.

Some more Thranduil because one can never get enough--I Heart these two pics:

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2014, 12:13am

Post #383 of 402 (28787 views)
Shortcut
     *sighs dreamily* I love those! [In reply to]  

He just looks so...so...*grabs thesaurus and starts looking for the right word*...regal, imperial, stately, noble, and magnificent! Smile Now if you'll excuse me while I click "save picture as" again...

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 12:32am

Post #384 of 402 (28776 views)
Shortcut
     Refreshes page and promptly faints [In reply to]  

Those pics are gorgeous. Thranduil (and Lee Pace) is just beautiful!

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 12:37am

Post #385 of 402 (28770 views)
Shortcut
     I'm probably a bit warped, but [In reply to]  

The pic on the left is definitely the regal, overly concerned Elven King, but the splayed fingers, spread arms and open mouth of the pic on the right brings to mind Thranduil The Tenured Professor. Tongue And who better to give history lessons in his great hall?

Legolas/Gimli artwork courtesy of Brianna

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 12:37am

Post #386 of 402 (28786 views)
Shortcut
     *sighs with you* [In reply to]  

Yes, all those adjectives. Do you all remember those gorgeous black and white studio pictures of each member of the Fellowship? I remember being stunned by Legolas.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/ElfLady/Legolas/legolas019.jpg

The pics that RG posted remind me of those. I wish they would do those for The Hobbit cast.

In Reply To
He just looks so...so...*grabs thesaurus and starts looking for the right word*...regal, imperial, stately, noble, and magnificent! Smile Now if you'll excuse me while I click "save picture as" again...

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 7 2014, 1:08am

Post #387 of 402 (28742 views)
Shortcut
     All of the above! [In reply to]  

One final pic before I get ready for bed and another day of work tomorrow. Smile

I love his expression in this one:

Thyia
Bree

Feb 7 2014, 1:11am

Post #388 of 402 (28733 views)
Shortcut
     I love these... [In reply to]  

Thanks so much for posting these! I've so enjoyed all of the VLOGs and can't wait for one for TABA. Cannot wait to see Thranduil in the full armour kicking Orc butt!

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 6:23am

Post #389 of 402 (28734 views)
Shortcut
     Just so... [In reply to]  

...beautiful in that one. Heart

(I have just received 'Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day'. from Quickflix. Am quietly excited.)

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 6:44am

Post #390 of 402 (28726 views)
Shortcut
     Production diary 12 is my favourite [In reply to]  

I love the Thranduil moments towards the end, and Lee talking about Thranduil.......
...and Peter suggesting to Martin "just picture him naked in a jacuzzi" and Lee looking so darn cute at that moment.

Oh my.

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 6:59am

Post #391 of 402 (28726 views)
Shortcut
     professor [In reply to]  

gosh... a whole series of lectures with that voice. it would be the first conference i'd not dare to fall asleep Wink

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 7 2014, 11:05am

Post #392 of 402 (32944 views)
Shortcut
     Some Thranduil to get us through the day.... [In reply to]  

Doesn't the first pic look like a painting?

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Feb 7 2014, 11:07am)

Nesse
Lorien

Feb 7 2014, 11:51am

Post #393 of 402 (28722 views)
Shortcut
     Great pics again Rowan [In reply to]  

They said Viggo threw himself into the part of Aragorn some suggesting he even slept with his sword and I think Lee is doing the same thing (not sleeping with the sword) but totally immersed in the char of Thranduil that even on set when he's not acting and just standing around he still has the air and grace of a king. Smile

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Feb 7 2014, 1:07pm

Post #394 of 402 (28720 views)
Shortcut
     oh yes, he always tried to look calm and regal [In reply to]  

except when he tripped on his frockHeartHeartHeart

That was "less than impressive.." I'm quoting an interview from the Dos book.

I love this manHeartHeart

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 3:08pm

Post #395 of 402 (28698 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, need our Thranduil fix! [In reply to]  

I love this one. He face is quite exquisite and his profile is kingly! Only Thranduil can pull off wearing those robes. I think on anyone else, with the possible exception of Elrond, the clothes would be wearing them.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 7 2014, 3:25pm

Post #396 of 402 (28698 views)
Shortcut
     Ooooh, I hadn't seen that before. [In reply to]  

Thanks for sharing! Legolas looks real good in black and white!

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 5:49pm

Post #397 of 402 (28726 views)
Shortcut
     United Cutlery reproducing Thranduil's sword! [In reply to]  

Just found a link for United Cutlery's reproduction of Thranduil's sword!
http://www.budk.com/product/Sword-of-Thranduil/176126.uts

From the description:

The sword of the Elvenking was one of two twin swords crafted for Thranduil by the finest smiths of the Woodland Realm. The blade and flowing hilt are forged with engraved vine and leaf symbols representing the forests of the Greenwood, all forged from a single piece of silver Elven steel. This replica features a stainless steel blade and cast metal hilt with authentic detailing to precisely match the movie prop. It is presented with a wood wall display featuring graphic motif of Thranduil.

Twin swords!

Other Hobbit reproductions:
http://www.budk.com/content.jsp?pageName=Hobbit

I'm so getting this! Cool

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Feb 7 2014, 5:50pm)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 9:46pm

Post #398 of 402 (28673 views)
Shortcut
     Robes [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I love this one. He face is quite exquisite and his profile is kingly! Only Thranduil can pull off wearing those robes. I think on anyone else, with the possible exception of Elrond, the clothes would be wearing them.

Yes, especially with that silver robe with the voluminous sleeves (which he wears during his pep talk with Tauriel). Others might drown in that much fabric, but he pulls it off with such grace.
Such perfect casting, and LP inhabits the role.

Haldir never worked for me... but that was the disadvantage of being familiar with Craig Parker on NZ soaps. To me, Haldir was always Craig in a wig which didn't seem to suit him - and I couldn't get past that.

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Feb 7 2014, 9:59pm)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 7 2014, 10:01pm

Post #399 of 402 (28687 views)
Shortcut
     Swords... [In reply to]  

I'm hoping Weta will come out with one too! I ordered the staff from Weta--it's around the same price as the one offered via that second link you provided.

Can't wait until they release his sword. Now we just need the crown.

In Reply To
Just found a link for United Cutlery's reproduction of Thranduil's sword!
http://www.budk.com/product/Sword-of-Thranduil/176126.uts

From the description:

The sword of the Elvenking was one of two twin swords crafted for Thranduil by the finest smiths of the Woodland Realm. The blade and flowing hilt are forged with engraved vine and leaf symbols representing the forests of the Greenwood, all forged from a single piece of silver Elven steel. This replica features a stainless steel blade and cast metal hilt with authentic detailing to precisely match the movie prop. It is presented with a wood wall display featuring graphic motif of Thranduil.

Twin swords!

Other Hobbit reproductions:
http://www.budk.com/content.jsp?pageName=Hobbit

I'm so getting this! Cool

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 10:39pm

Post #400 of 402 (28674 views)
Shortcut
     Another quick fix... [In reply to]  

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.