Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"The last of our kin..." scene
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 11:07am

Post #1 of 32 (1177 views)
Shortcut
"The last of our kin..." scene Can't Post

What did you think about this scene? I liked it a lot, (and the music is fantastic). I suppose that if the battle of the furnaces part would have been cut, this one would have been too.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Feb 6 2014, 11:27am

Post #2 of 32 (672 views)
Shortcut
It was a really [In reply to] Can't Post

moving and disturbing scene.I liked it very much and the music was great too.It was the scene that gave Thorin the most solid incentive to kill Smaug.This movie,in general, consists of so many great little details that will be appreciated during the blu ray/dvd multiple viewings by many,imo.

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 1:00pm

Post #3 of 32 (592 views)
Shortcut
Was there a dead infant? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure I saw a corpse of an infant in the crowd of dead dwarves. Is it just me or did anyone else see it too?

Elarie
Gondor

Feb 6 2014, 1:55pm

Post #4 of 32 (550 views)
Shortcut
Dead Infant [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure I saw a dead child or infant laying on top of a women's body, as though she had been holding it when she died. It just added even more sadness to the whole scene.

legolin12
The Shire

Feb 6 2014, 2:06pm

Post #5 of 32 (509 views)
Shortcut
i cried [In reply to] Can't Post

The music is sooooooo sad! And the entire scene made me tear up big-time!

'"Answer the question, filth!"'

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2014, 2:33pm

Post #6 of 32 (476 views)
Shortcut
I did really like this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it added to the emotional gravity of the whole Erebor situation and Thorin's quest. The music was very sad. they did a great job on this scene for sure.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Old Toby
Gondor

Feb 6 2014, 3:27pm

Post #7 of 32 (486 views)
Shortcut
I think this is my favorite scene in the entire movie [In reply to] Can't Post

leading up to Thorin's "If this is to end in fire...." line. For me, it is the heart of the film.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 6 2014, 4:27pm

Post #8 of 32 (428 views)
Shortcut
It's heart-breaking.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and beautifully handled.

Noria
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 4:43pm

Post #9 of 32 (414 views)
Shortcut
This scene is beautiful and heartbreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

It brings home the tragedy of the Dwarves of Erebor and how completely evil Smaug is.

I think that Thorin already wanted to stay in Erebor and had from the moment he walked in the door. But seeing his dead people cemented his sense of purpose.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Feb 6 2014, 4:55pm

Post #10 of 32 (416 views)
Shortcut
Importance of the score; I too really enjoyed this. [In reply to] Can't Post

The imagery and the music worked so well together. That was one of the things DOS lacked a lot of for me, the inseparable bond between Shore's score and Jackson's visuals, but this was one of the scenes that nailed it for me and drove the emotion home.

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 5:21pm

Post #11 of 32 (394 views)
Shortcut
It really does [In reply to] Can't Post

and you're right there aren't many such scenes.

However the scenes that are there are very powerful:

- Opening the hidden door
- Bilbo atop Mirkwood
- A Feast of Starlight
- Thorin's speech in Laketown
- The breaking of the company
- Bilbo holding the ring after decimating the ugly little insect
- The western guardroom
- The dwarves seeing the Lonely Mountain for the first time

There are quite a few in hindsight.

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 5:46pm

Post #12 of 32 (385 views)
Shortcut
beautifully said [In reply to] Can't Post

""If this is to end in fire...." line. For me, it is the heart of the film.""

I thought (later) it was desperately important to show something like that e.g. "realism" in that not all of the dwarves could have escaped that day, not just as a catalyst scene for Thorin. That Erebor was a home for many (since we never got the AUJ firefly scene - e.g. hearing what daily life was like in Erebor, it wasn't just a grand stone castle, it was a home for the Erebor dwarves).
Because it looks like women and different types of dwarves there, not warriors.

For me there are too many best scenes in this film - but this is one of THE best and the end line needed a voice like RA's to deliver it. I also think it's so poignant when re survival Thorin says, and the way he says it "some of us might". Oh, *bleep* that whole scene is another perfect, perfectly done scene! The was the bodies are shown, that goes straight to the heart.

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Feb 6 2014, 9:00pm

Post #13 of 32 (321 views)
Shortcut
One of the few good scenes... [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the few good scenes in the finale. I'm sure it will make it into my own fan edit.

A lot of emotional weight. After I saw what appeared to be a dwarf child/baby, it made me really hate Smaug.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Feb 6 2014, 9:15pm

Post #14 of 32 (344 views)
Shortcut
It was strong EXCEPT, for its obvious internal inaccuracy. Obviously those deceased [In reply to] Can't Post

dwarves were NOT the last of their kin. We saw thousands of their kin wandering with Thorin in the wilderness.

In Reply To
What did you think about this scene? I liked it a lot, (and the music is fantastic). I suppose that if the battle of the furnaces part would have been cut, this one would have been too.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

kilifili
The Shire

Feb 6 2014, 9:21pm

Post #15 of 32 (295 views)
Shortcut
Touching scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocking and touching scene, especially after discovering the dwarf baby lying on its mothers dead body... Suddenly the whole quest gets a deeper meaning. It is not only about Thorin searching the Arkenstone, it is about a king reclaiming his kingdom, about the dwarves seeking for their home, about taking revenge for all the lost lifes. *goosebumps*

"Do you think she could have loved me...?"

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 9:23pm

Post #16 of 32 (321 views)
Shortcut
but I think that is a reference to those left behind [In reply to] Can't Post

e.g., it isn't specifically said, but I understood that as "the last kin in Erebor", e.g. the last of the dwarves to try to flee Erebor, the last ones left. Something akin, tho not obviously like, the chaos of Hurricane Katrina - Dale and Erebor were attacked suddenly, like any other natural (or man-made) disaster it was absolute chaos, and some died trying to flee - the "last of our kin".

Kim
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 9:52pm

Post #17 of 32 (307 views)
Shortcut
One of the most powerful scenes for me [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I saw this, my breath caught as it was so unexpected and abrupt, but what really caught me was the haunting sound of the voices overlaid with the music, calling back to the moment the dwarves were attacked and trapped. Suddenly Erebor felt much smaller and intimate, and the tragedy we saw in the AUJ prologue took on another layer.

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 10:03pm

Post #18 of 32 (289 views)
Shortcut
heartbreaking [In reply to] Can't Post

"Suddenly Erebor felt much smaller and intimate"

Yes. And just another moment of stellar performance for RA (and the whole cast, the look in their eyes). When Thorin swallows hard I hurt for him, and the expression on his face. Plus you can hear the faint, faint screams with the music. And the look on Dwalin's face.

And I often think this has to be one of the most terrible things Bilbo has ever seen, his whole life.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 6 2014, 11:04pm

Post #19 of 32 (300 views)
Shortcut
An Echo to finding..."Balin's Tomb"...FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby Immediately FLASHED that scene...

Which is gunna make BALIN & ORI & OIN's
Fate in
Moria sooo
MUCH
More
Moving upon viewing ever agian...

YourBroBomby.
Pirate

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Feb 6 2014, 11:06pm)

Elskidor
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 1:00am

Post #20 of 32 (248 views)
Shortcut
loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 7: Semifinals)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=710095;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

or found in the Pollantir

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 7 2014, 1:31am

Post #21 of 32 (252 views)
Shortcut
Except now I don't believe it [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, it was better that I hadn't seen Balin depicted. Because now I don't believe the Balin I "know" would have ever been interested in being Lord of Moria, and I can't see the Oin I know doing anything like that either. Ori perhaps might have left Erebor to record events.

Plus of course in LOTR to me Gandalf seems kind of cavalier at finding the tomb, when these were his traveling companions. I know what PJ & co. were trying to do, but now I'm not feeling it - I'll never look at that scene and feel Balin is there.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Feb 7 2014, 2:20am

Post #22 of 32 (231 views)
Shortcut
It is related to... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this idea that keeps popping up about the Dwarves not having a home, whilst simultaneously having a home in the Blue Mountains.

FoFo64
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 3:18am

Post #23 of 32 (243 views)
Shortcut
My problem with the scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like what the scene is trying to do emotionally, however the entire time I was distracted by one key thing that I'm surprised noone on these boards has mentioned... How in the world is it that these 60 year old dwarf corpses are in such perfectly intact and mummified condition whereas in Moria where the bodies are peesumably younger after the fall of Balin they look wayyy more decayed? That never made sense to me and is an inconsistency that has kept me from loving this scene. Can anyone please explain for my own peace of mind??

'It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing...such a little thing...' Boromir; Fellowship of the Ring Film

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 7 2014, 7:43am

Post #24 of 32 (206 views)
Shortcut
Moisture in the air. [In reply to] Can't Post

If Moria is moist (which it probably is, with that open well and probably subterranean springs) flesh would decay. If the atmosphere in the cavern where the Dwarf bodies are is dry, they'd mummify.

Noria
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 1:12pm

Post #25 of 32 (165 views)
Shortcut
Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that the Balin we know now doesn't seem the type to try to take back Moria and call himself its lord. But I feel the same about the Balin of the book.

However, we and Balin still have to pass through Thorin's descent and death, not to mention the deaths of Fili and Kili. These events will have a huge impact on Balin and change him we know not how.

Maybe he just doesn't like Dain.Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.