Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
If You Had A Choice, Will You Cut Out The Silly Action Scenes in Hobbit 3 and...

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Feb 6 2014, 10:41am

Post #1 of 17 (778 views)
Shortcut
If You Had A Choice, Will You Cut Out The Silly Action Scenes in Hobbit 3 and... Can't Post

replace it with better humor (assuming it will remain the same flavor, that is)?
Or will you prefer keep the same humor and cartoonish action scenes? Do people actually think this is good movie making for this type of film...even if it is branded as a "children's book or film?"
Note that exceptional choreography can still be done without being silly (well at least in my opinion), and humor can be done more intelligently through conversation, movement and lucky moments with it being a bit more easier to believe even if in reality most actions scenes there are really quite unrealistic.
I think overlooking the silly parts and focusing on the good things to is one thing, and actually thinking that it is perfect film with no flaws and that the entire film is a work of genius in terms of story writing, etc., is totally another thing.
GOM

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 6 2014, 11:08am

Post #2 of 17 (416 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to say what any of us would or wouldn't cut.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. from a film none of us has seen!

Seems to me a bit unlikely that film 3 will have much in the way of 'silly action scenes'. It will have a lot of action, for sure, but in a story which is becoming so dark, and which will involve some major deaths, I'd say the opportunities for silliness will be few, and humour practically none.

I've made no secret of the fact that I've enjoyed the films very much so far, so the urge to cut things from them doesn't trouble me. In any case, I'm not about to set myself up as an expert. Someone else might really like the things I would cut. The moments I don't like tend to be the times when out-of-period language or ideas creep in - like Bilbo 'having a reaction' or Ori objecting to 'green food', and they're small enough to ignore. The humour... well, if it appeals I laugh and if it doesn't I don't, and that's about all there is to it.

And yes, I'm happy to say that the films are a work of combined genius. The genius of Tolkien most of all - then of Peter Jackson as director - of the writers, artists - John Howe, Alan Lee - Richard Taylor and all his model makers, computer artists - of the actors, musicians - Howard Shore especially. A work of combined genius - with flaws, but exceptional nonetheless, and I count myself lucky to have been around to see them.

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 11:39am

Post #3 of 17 (371 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is hard to give an opinion about that when you do not ask whether we find the sequences silly, less intelligent or cartoonish but already place that as a given.

Some might describe them as enjoyable, clever and breathtaking.

What I personally disliked was the fall into Goblin Town in AUJ, as well as the collapsing bridge.

Other stuff, such as Bombur's barrel scene or Legolas' jumping I found to be quite fitting and it just worked imho.

So naturally I hope that the action sequences in TABA will be enjoyable, clever and breathtaking - hitting what I perceived to be heights in AUJ & DoS and mising the lows I have mentioned.

In general, however, I find such sequences much more cleverly handled and with more imagination than in 90% of similar movies and very good moviemaking for the most part, although the balance is certainly more "risky" compared to LotR (although that one had a few quite similar OTT moments).

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Feb 6 2014, 11:51am

Post #4 of 17 (373 views)
Shortcut
"Hobbit 3"...? [In reply to] Can't Post

A part of me died inside...

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 12:58pm

Post #5 of 17 (377 views)
Shortcut
DOS had less silliness [In reply to] Can't Post

Than AUJ. And PJ has said that TABA will have almost no humor at all.

So I guess I can hold PJ to his word on that.

Nobody call me an "overzealous apologist" for PJ, please, as someone here accused me of being recently.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 2:00pm

Post #6 of 17 (310 views)
Shortcut
For myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I would prefer it if the absurd CGI action scenes, such as those of Legolas jumping on people's heads or single-handedly killing thousands of Orcs while running upside down on ceilings, etc., be left out. (In fact the less of unpleasant Legolas the better, as far as I'm concerned. Let's focus on the story's main, canon, characters.)

I would also prefer it if PJ's gross moments were omitted, e.g. burping, and so on.

Elarie
Gondor

Feb 6 2014, 2:13pm

Post #7 of 17 (301 views)
Shortcut
Action scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm one of those people who keeps hoping for more conversation and less action in general in the Hobbit movies, so I'm really really hoping that TABA isn't just one long action scene and battle after another (with or without the silly or humorous type of action). The part of the movie that I'm looking forward to the most is the interaction between Bilbo and the dwarves inside Erebor and the Arkenstone storyline. Fingers crossed that none of that will get lost in all the battles and dragon attacks and so on.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 6 2014, 3:37pm

Post #8 of 17 (273 views)
Shortcut
I don't see much room for "silly action scenes" in 'TaBA' [In reply to] Can't Post

I do see some possiblity for ridiculous excesses involving stunts with Legolas and Tauriel, but let's wait for the actual movie, hmmm?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

MyWeeLadGimli
The Shire

Feb 6 2014, 4:36pm

Post #9 of 17 (256 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently all of the Dwarves are supposed to get a signature moment during the BOFA. Since some of them are almost entirely comedic characters, I'm expecting a lot of silliness with, say, Bombur or Bifur. Having said that, I quite like the silliness, even if it's a little unrealistic at times. I don't want the movie to be too dark.

Noria
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 5:03pm

Post #10 of 17 (233 views)
Shortcut
Since I wouldn't have cut anything out of AUJ or DoS, no I likely wouldn't change TaBA. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even once I've actually seen it. And I donít regard any of the action in AUJ and DoS as silly, precisely. While some of the humour is not to my taste, humour is so subjective that I donít think we can say ďbetterĒ.

I love the quieter character moments and would be happy to have more of them and less action. But it is what it is and at least the action is fun, for me anyway. While TaBA will likely be darker, I donít see it being that much different otherwise from its two predecessors. I expect there to be long action sequences and the BoFA will probably be the longest and most elaborate.

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 5:23pm

Post #11 of 17 (237 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit should [In reply to] Can't Post

never feel dark. It makes LOTR all the more special; mixing a greater sense of doom and urgency. This is why I resented the early marketing of DOS claiming Smaug to be "The Greatest Danger" when he clearly is not...

But I'm happy overall with the way tone was handled in these movies.

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 5:59pm

Post #12 of 17 (216 views)
Shortcut
Agree w. dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

And what people consider "silly" or cartoon can vary. And it can change, for instance I never had a big problem w. Rhadagast but after viewing the appendices I appreciate the depiction more now.

E. Lilly has said folks shouldn't expect battle after battle in these movies, that there will be character dynamics. The cast has said both DOS and TABA will be "darker than AUJ". We've already seen a rather awful taste of dragon sickness w. Thorin re Bilbo (tho it's a great scene). We've already seen Smaug torment Bilbo, chase the dwarves, destroy more of the castle e.g. he is cruel, ruthless, and cunning. A whole bunch of orcs escaped and will warn the other orcs at DG.

My best guess is that once again the only "silliness" might be Legolas and possibly Tauriel doing some spectacular aerobatics in a battle scene *sigh* because PJ seems to love depicting Legolas that way - which for me sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 6:39pm

Post #13 of 17 (215 views)
Shortcut
Loved the action the way it was [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm someone who could watch a whole 3 hour film of just a medieval battle, I don't need character development or things like that. I love action in a film, and the barrel sequence has to be one of my favorite action sequences ever.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Bishop
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 7:18pm

Post #14 of 17 (205 views)
Shortcut
no way! It's an equation [In reply to] Can't Post

Heads poking out of toilets + Bombur running +barrels + Standing on a dragon's snout ≥ all silly moments in AUJ

Bishop
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 7:19pm

Post #15 of 17 (192 views)
Shortcut
To which silly action scenes are you referring to? [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 10:28pm

Post #16 of 17 (146 views)
Shortcut
Something for everyone in TABA [In reply to] Can't Post

RA and PJ have alluded to fight scenes/battles, so while there may be lots of character dynamics am sure the battle scene will be stupendous. Maybe that's why there are pickup rumors, w. all the footage that PJ must have shot, he's decided he needs more. Plus while PJ understandably didn't want to compete with himself, IMO he's going to have to work hard to equal or better Helm's Deep.

And oh, how I hope for a scene of Thorin giving his pointed opinion (in dwarvish) to an opposing party, hopefully Thranduil or whoever. Maybe Bolg or Azog. Maybe Bard but the interchanges between Thorin and Thranduil seem to be epic. Maybe Thorin will get a hammer and pound the white gems to powder in front of Thranduil (yes, I know the story, just having some fun speculating *no spoilers*Cool)

Thranderz
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 11:01pm

Post #17 of 17 (161 views)
Shortcut
According to PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

The 'silly' scenes will be few and far between.

I simply walked into Mordor.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.