The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The orcs marching out of Dol Guldur

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Feb 6 2014, 6:17am

Post #1 of 14 (1304 views)
Shortcut
The orcs marching out of Dol Guldur Can't Post

I've been looking at the orcs that were marching out of Dol Guldur, and I'm surprised by how much they resemble the Uruk Hai. These guys seem to be pretty bulky and heavily armored. Anyone know of these orcs (perhaps Gundabad orcs in general) are supposed to be stronger than Mordor orcs?

patrickk
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 7:17am

Post #2 of 14 (1012 views)
Shortcut
I even thought some of them might be ... [In reply to] Can't Post

...men!!!!

Yngwulff
Gondor

Feb 6 2014, 7:41am

Post #3 of 14 (978 views)
Shortcut
I saw 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

and they were wearing flip flops!!!

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 6 2014, 8:28am

Post #4 of 14 (961 views)
Shortcut
My guess is... [In reply to] Can't Post

They are meant to be the "black Uruks of Mordor" which are the largest orcs of Sauron's army. There is some debate on whether they should be considered interchangeable with the Uruk-hai, but when Tolkien writes of "Uruks" he is generally writing of Sauron's forces (calling them orcs "of Mordor" or "of Barad-dur"), while uses of "Uruk-hai" seem to be used only for Saruman's hybrids. I've always assumed that the Uruks are the orc-breed which Saruman crossed with men to create his Uruk-hai and Half-orcs.

Because they are so often referred to as being from Mordor and because they seem to be given commands over other breeds of orc, I think they're specially committed to Sauron, and are his elite forces. So it would make perfect sense that he has a large number of them with him in Dol Guldur. Maybe Azog is an albino Uruk?

Some references from LOTR:

In the fight in the Chamber of Mazarbul, just before they block up the door, Gandalf looks out.
"There are Orcs, very many of them," he said. "And some are large and evil: black Uruks of Mordor."

And when Frodo and Sam are overtaken by the arcs and marched along with them:
They were a gang of smaller breeds being driven unwilling to their Dark Lord's wars; all they cared for was to get the march over and escape the whip. Beside them, running up and down the line, went two of the large fierce uruks, cracking lashes and shouting.

From Appendix A, The Stewards: In the last years of Denethor I the race of uruks, black orcs of great strength, first appeared out of Mordor, and in 2475 they swept across Ithilien and took Osgiliath.
(Note: The Hobbit quest took place in 2941, over 400 years after this)

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Feb 6 2014, 12:43pm

Post #5 of 14 (854 views)
Shortcut
Yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

... in the flashback to the Battle of Azanulbizar, Balin specifically says that Azog was a Gundabad Orc. Bolg is just as big, so maybe Gundabads are just generally larger.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Feb 6 2014, 1:22pm

Post #6 of 14 (845 views)
Shortcut
Gundabab Orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

Acording to Games-Workshop's strategy game for the Hobbit there Gunadabab Orcs, however I'm not sure if that is there offical name given by Weta and such.

Yes, my username is terrible.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Feb 6 2014, 3:18pm

Post #7 of 14 (823 views)
Shortcut
And the question is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

were they also wearing board shorts? Perhaps marching on their way to surf the rapids of the nearest river? (what with no ocean anywhere in sight)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 6 2014, 3:39pm

Post #8 of 14 (806 views)
Shortcut
What? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

were they also wearing board shorts? Perhaps marching on their way to surf the rapids of the nearest river? (what with no ocean anywhere in sight)

You've never been surfing on the Sea of Rhun?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 5:34pm

Post #9 of 14 (797 views)
Shortcut
Incredibly well-designed and realistic [In reply to] Can't Post

Orcs for a change. Extremely excited to see them in action!

Their armor looks so gritty and downright scary. They're a hybrid between the Uruks and Mordor orcs it seems.

I HOPE these designs do not change come the BOFA.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Feb 6 2014, 6:04pm

Post #10 of 14 (755 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm digging the design as well. Looks much more intimidating than the orcs of LOTR.

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 6:10pm

Post #11 of 14 (768 views)
Shortcut
Gothmog was [In reply to] Can't Post

A pig in armor. Literally.

Such an awful design for the Orc commander of one of the (if not the) most decisive battles of ME in the third age.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 6 2014, 11:22pm

Post #12 of 14 (699 views)
Shortcut
PJ&Co have to "OneUP Themselves"... EACH time!!... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even
Badder
BadAsses...yes, precious PJ

BombyBadass

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 6 2014, 11:35pm

Post #13 of 14 (708 views)
Shortcut
Gundabad orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

are orcs from Mount Gundabad, which is a location. I don't know if "Gundabad orc" is a breed by itself, or if Gundabad is populated by uruks as well. There's not a lot of information on specific orc breeds.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

burgahobbit
Rohan

Feb 7 2014, 10:17pm

Post #14 of 14 (692 views)
Shortcut
Half-men [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the same thing when I first saw those orcs, they look manish. Unimpressed

"I've found it is the small things, everyday deeds of ordinary folk, that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I’m afraid, and he gives me courage.” - Gandalf the Grey.

"Do not be afraid Mithrandir, if ever you should need my help, I will come." - Lady Galadriel.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.