Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Final Spurt: The Box Office of DOS
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Feb 5 2014, 10:26pm

Post #1 of 55 (1927 views)
Shortcut
Final Spurt: The Box Office of DOS Can't Post

So we have reached the February and DOS is still in cinemas and still makes a little bit of money. Japan and China are still there which makes 1.477 billion potential viewers. I think it's certain that DOS won't reach the 1 billion mark but it's still possible to pass the $950 million and that would be still a very, very nice number for Peter, Warner and all team members. And to have some of the latest numbers:

-----------------------------------------------------
Total gross United States after 54 Days:
$254,497,516
Total gross United States after 54 Days (AUJ):
$296,541,937 (-$42,044,421)
Total gross United States:
$254,497,516
Total gross United States (AUJ):
$303,003,568 (-$48,506,052)
Total gross United States (FOTR):
$315,544,750 (-$61,047,234)
Total gross United States (TTT):
$342,551,365 (-$88,053849)
Total gross United States (ROTK):
$377,845,905 (-$123,348,389)
Total gross Worldwide:
$854,797,516
Total gross Worldwide (AUJ)
$1,017,003,568 (-$162,206,052)
Total gross Worldwide (FOTR)
$871,530,324 (-$16,732,808)
Total gross Worldwide (TTT)
$926,047,111 (-$70,249,595)
Total gross Worldwide (ROTK)
$1,119,929,521 (-$265,132,005)

So after seeing these numbers I guess it's possible that DOS will be the film with the lowest numbers inside the United States but worldwide it will definitely pass FOTR and perhaps even TTT. And again... these are numbers other filmmakers and studios would kill for. 5 movies which made together $4,792,308,040... that's incredible! And remember TABA will be there in less than a year and I guess the better reviews for DOS, hopefully better weather in the U.S. and the fact that it will be our last cinematic journey to Middle-earth (at least for a long, long time) will help the movie to reach the 1 billion.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

QueenCirce
The Shire

Feb 5 2014, 10:57pm

Post #2 of 55 (1044 views)
Shortcut
box office is amazing.... [In reply to] Can't Post

For any ONE film to reach almost a billion dollars is CRAZY. and PJ and Team should be sooo happy with this.

Also the reason ti didn't make as much as AUJ , in my humble opinion, was that A LOT of mainstream cinema goers felt AUJ was slow and boring..... which then slightly lessened interest in seeing the second one.... and the reason AUJ was because it was 10 years since there had been a middle earth film, and the buzz and build up and hype really helped it.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 5 2014, 11:28pm

Post #3 of 55 (913 views)
Shortcut
Mac, when does it Open in China & Japan?// [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 5 2014, 11:40pm

Post #4 of 55 (898 views)
Shortcut
I predict around 935 million. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 5 2014, 11:40pm

Post #5 of 55 (894 views)
Shortcut
21 feb in China, 28 feb in Japan // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Feb 5 2014, 11:45pm

Post #6 of 55 (914 views)
Shortcut
They stopped showing it in HFR and 3D after only a week and a half [In reply to] Can't Post

in my area. I would have seen it many more times if it was still showing in 3D, and 2, if it wasn't already coming out on blu ray in only a month or two. I know it wasn't PJ's or New Line's decision to pull the 3D, but I think that's what "killed" it (it still made an insane amount of money regardless).

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 12:53am

Post #7 of 55 (905 views)
Shortcut
That may be the case in the United States [In reply to] Can't Post

Viewers there may have found AUJ 'boring'. However, many people I know think that AUJ is just a better film in terms of pacing and emotional content, hence its higher worldwide box-office numbers. I think it's totally wrong to blame AUJ – or the weather for that matter – for DoS's worse performance at the box office. Had AUJ not been generally liked worldwide – a lot – it would not have achieved the massive DVD sales it did.

In Reply To
For any ONE film to reach almost a billion dollars is CRAZY. and PJ and Team should be sooo happy with this.

Also the reason ti didn't make as much as AUJ , in my humble opinion, was that A LOT of mainstream cinema goers felt AUJ was slow and boring..... which then slightly lessened interest in seeing the second one.... and the reason AUJ was because it was 10 years since there had been a middle earth film, and the buzz and build up and hype really helped it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 6 2014, 12:56am

Post #8 of 55 (840 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for this Lieutenant! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2014, 1:59am

Post #9 of 55 (877 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

It was WB's craptastic marketing including the failure to capitalize on anciallary markets like toys etc, their failure to do much promotion at all until 30 days out, eschewing Comic Con because it's "overrated" in terms of value etc., the terrible posters that focused on Tauriel and the elves and so on.

The film was still a huge success (so it won't make 1B. Cry me a river. It's still a huge success world wide at over 900M). But any failure is WB's short sighted marketing.

Oh and let's not forget the horrific LA premiere which was nothing short of terribly done. Berlin was much better.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 2:30am

Post #10 of 55 (883 views)
Shortcut
AUJ got a higher BO because [In reply to] Can't Post

it was the sequel to The Return of the King.

Any sequel to The Return of the King would automatically do amazing numbers.

But AUJ was undoubtedly a crowd-pleaser. Hopefully DOS will beat the DVD sales this year *fingers crossed*

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 2:44am

Post #11 of 55 (827 views)
Shortcut
Had a strong showing in my area [In reply to] Can't Post

Held at the IMAX and in HFR in my area for weeks and my showings had good attendance for the most part - and it WAS the number one film in America. Plus I don't think a film titled the Hobbit w. general audiences is ever going to attract the same numbers as a film called Lord of the Rings. And WB didn't fall over themselves marketing the film.

And, for the U.S., there WAS the weather factor. I know a lot of us who come from colder U.S. areas know how to deal with it, but still in certain sections of the country it was pretty unpleasant, especially if you are thinking about a repeat viewing and the roads are bad. Some of the temperatures we had from the polar blasts were insane.

If this movie makes 950 million worldwide to me that's close enough to the billion ballpark to be happy for PJ & co. In the end it doesn't matter, but a nice profit SOUNDS good and it won't hurt my favorites in these movies re their careers - as I wish them well for all the joy they brought by doing a fantastic job, more than I ever imagined.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 6 2014, 4:00am

Post #12 of 55 (824 views)
Shortcut
Comparison with LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

trilogy and especially with the first two movies as farthest in time should take into consideration the prices and the inflation to be correct. If we take these two factors into consideration, we'll understand why the numbers were so amazing then, TEN years ago. It also shows how many more people saw the LOTR movies as the prices of tickets were lower. A correct comparison should turn the "then" money into "now" money considering inflation, aside from the difference in the tickets' prices.

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 4:45am

Post #13 of 55 (781 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellently put. The film makers brought to life a childhood obsession of mine that began 53 years ago. I'm so lucky to still be around!

It should encourage you to know (you probably already do) that anything these movies make after AUJ made $600-$700 (rough marketing costs inclusive) is PURE profit. And that is a ton of profit!

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Feb 6 2014, 5:04am

Post #14 of 55 (801 views)
Shortcut
Aside from inflation [In reply to] Can't Post

some people (like myself) who saw each LOTR movie 5-6 times in the theater are now older, have kids, and bills to pay. When I saw LOTR I was living with my parents and could afford it. I've only seen the two Hobbit movies two times each in the theater. I would have loved to go see them more, but it's hard with kids and a tight budget.

patrickk
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 7:27am

Post #15 of 55 (811 views)
Shortcut
Another $100m... [In reply to] Can't Post

...between China and Japan. Could be but depends on the dragon factor. The Chine poster is the DRAGON.

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 11:42am

Post #16 of 55 (706 views)
Shortcut
As, imho... it should have been for the rest of the world. [In reply to] Can't Post

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 1:32pm

Post #17 of 55 (682 views)
Shortcut
I absolutely agree with you, H-S [In reply to] Can't Post

The marketing for the film was terrible. As a collector of LotR cards, I can well remember the enormous amount of promo material that was released for these films. (I decided to focus on cards because of space issues, and also because I like ephemera.) Apart from the Topps and Decipher card sets, I have promo sets from many countries, including the UK, New Zealand, Australia, the US, France, Belgium, Spain, Germany, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, Brazil, Mexico, Sweden, Poland, Hungary, the Czech Republic and China. There were some gorgeous phone card sets – like the one for FotR New Zealand – as well as things like the attractive Lays cards from Poland and the Popitas cards from Spain (challenging to complete). For DoS I can only think of a set of 3D promo cards from Germany, and there is also allegedly a card set coming from a card company (not promo cards).

The comic-book ninja elf promotion for DoS was also terrible, as you mention – completely divorced from the Hobbit, and featuring none of the key characters involved in the story (Bilbo, Thorin and Gandalf).

It is no wonder that DoS has 'failed' (relatively) – in fact I think it is amazing that it has done as well as it has, given the circumstances.

In Reply To
It was WB's craptastic marketing including the failure to capitalize on anciallary markets like toys etc, their failure to do much promotion at all until 30 days out, eschewing Comic Con because it's "overrated" in terms of value etc., the terrible posters that focused on Tauriel and the elves and so on.

The film was still a huge success (so it won't make 1B. Cry me a river. It's still a huge success world wide at over 900M). But any failure is WB's short sighted marketing.

Oh and let's not forget the horrific LA premiere which was nothing short of terribly done. Berlin was much better.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 6 2014, 3:25pm

Post #18 of 55 (618 views)
Shortcut
But there are others [In reply to] Can't Post

I see your point but there are other young people to replace us in this calculation. While we may not go 5 times to the theatre, there is no reason those who are like we were then to not go, except if the movies are not raising the same interest. Generations change but the population of Earth is growing, not diminishing.

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 4:16pm

Post #19 of 55 (638 views)
Shortcut
I'm still thinking around [In reply to] Can't Post

950-965 million. If it does really well in China and Japan. This is still making a ton of money and a total success. Sure there will be people who gloat that this film didn't make a billion for whatever reason, but I don't care to be honest. I love the movie and am glad that in the end it was a success.

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 6 2014, 4:28pm

Post #20 of 55 (601 views)
Shortcut
This! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Feb 6 2014, 5:12pm

Post #21 of 55 (606 views)
Shortcut
Thinking around 950mil [In reply to] Can't Post

Would love to see it break $1 Billion; but I think that's just out of reach at this point. But there's still "There and Back Again!" to do some heavy lifting Wink

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2014, 5:22pm

Post #22 of 55 (603 views)
Shortcut
Well it's not a failure by any stretch to me [In reply to] Can't Post

But it didn't do as well as I wanted it to and I blame the marketing for that pure and simple. There's little feeling of fan invovlement in these films this time around. Last time New Line openly engaged the fans. They got all out of LOTR that they needed to and it was fun. Oddly I feel no sense of real fun this time. Don't get me wrong. I love the films. I just feel somewhat distanced this time and that to me is all WB.

I will be there with bells on for TABA and I will watch many, many times thankful that it was brought to the screen by someone and my life is fulfilled. But the marketing has been terrible. They relied on, and got, the loyal fans who will go anyway. That's fine I guess. It's just not very much fun. Saved me some money though. I have bought almost nothing Hobbit related.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

shadowdog
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 5:54pm

Post #23 of 55 (573 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

I would assume AUJ and DOS will make more money as they are rereleased in the US ahead of the TABA like they did with FoTR and TT ahead of RoTK. Don't know if they will do that around the world?

DanielLB
Immortal

Feb 6 2014, 6:46pm

Post #24 of 55 (578 views)
Shortcut
The weather is also to blame ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But it didn't do as well as I wanted it to and I blame the marketing for that pure and simple.

This winter has been "record breaking" across Northern America, UK and Europe. Ever since DOS was released, the weather has turned for the worse. A more accurate indicator would be a break down of visitor numbers (who saw the film) in each country. There will undoubtedly be fewer numbers to last year in countries that have been hit hard. That's certainly enough to account for $50-100 thousand.

patrickk
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 8:25pm

Post #25 of 55 (550 views)
Shortcut
The marketing focussed on different characters for different countries [In reply to] Can't Post

...here (in Oz) the main posters were one of Gandalf and one of Bilbo, in Sweden it was Beorn, and in China it is Smaug. I suspect where you are, to you they picked wrong; but the global marketing was more nuanced, and that is where 70% of the income is.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.