Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
suddenly last night

Rickster
Rohan

Feb 5 2014, 7:35pm

Post #1 of 10 (841 views)
Shortcut
suddenly last night Can't Post

Suddenly last night something popped up.
I remember a drinking game between the red haired dwarf of Lord of the Rings and the Elf in a bar
And after an amazing amount of alcohol, the dwarf lost.. and the elf said he only felt something .. a bit.. in the tip of his finger

This elf is of course Legolas.. so...

How much wine must the Elfs have been drinking in the wine-hall in D.O.S. in order to get them to sleep so the Dwarfs and the hobbit could escape

It.. just popped into the mind

(This post was edited by Rickster on Feb 5 2014, 7:37pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 5 2014, 7:42pm

Post #2 of 10 (403 views)
Shortcut
Dorwinion Wine [In reply to] Can't Post

We have generally assumed that the Wood-elves' Dorwinion wine is much stronger than the ale in the scene from LotR. It is probably equivalent to a fortified wine.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

book Gandalf
Rohan

Feb 5 2014, 7:43pm

Post #3 of 10 (383 views)
Shortcut
easy [In reply to] Can't Post

elves drink their own brews.

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Elondria
The Shire

Feb 5 2014, 7:43pm

Post #4 of 10 (380 views)
Shortcut
I think in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember something about the wine being extra potent. As in, it had been meant for shot glasses, but the guards, not knowing this, chugged the whole thing. Or something like that. And I remember this because I was wondering the same thing Smile

I hear your still voice calling my heart… I’d rip my world down to follow the sound. –Nine Lashes

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 5 2014, 7:46pm

Post #5 of 10 (373 views)
Shortcut
That's easy IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

No way to tell the actual alcohol content of the said alcohol. But it's said that Thranduil has excellent wine. And once the elves start celebrating in the cellar, who is to say Thranduil did not also have other excellent liquors around, with a real kick. Your're partying, and you look around, and you are in a cellar w. kegs and kegs and bottles and bottles of stuff, probably all of the finest quality e.g. high alcohol content.

Plus, ME doesn't strike me as a place that has labs where quality and consistency can be checked - LOL this is stuff that's stuck in my head from watching "Moonshiners" and another show on the distilleries of Scotland and Kentucky - who knew making liquor was such an art form?

Rickster
Rohan

Feb 5 2014, 8:20pm

Post #6 of 10 (310 views)
Shortcut
thanks to you all ! Great answers [In reply to] Can't Post

so it would be that if most of the other inhabitants of Middle earth drank this wine, they would collaps after one glas :D

In Reply To
No way to tell the actual alcohol content of the said alcohol. But it's said that Thranduil has excellent wine. And once the elves start celebrating in the cellar, who is to say Thranduil did not also have other excellent liquors around, with a real kick. Your're partying, and you look around, and you are in a cellar w. kegs and kegs and bottles and bottles of stuff, probably all of the finest quality e.g. high alcohol content.

Plus, ME doesn't strike me as a place that has labs where quality and consistency can be checked - LOL this is stuff that's stuck in my head from watching "Moonshiners" and another show on the distilleries of Scotland and Kentucky - who knew making liquor was such an art form?

(This post was edited by Rickster on Feb 5 2014, 8:22pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 6 2014, 4:38am

Post #7 of 10 (188 views)
Shortcut
Quality vs. quantity [In reply to] Can't Post

Ask and you shall receive, but not from me, from Tolkien himself - the answer comes straight from the text of The Hobbit:

It must be potent wine to make a wood-elf drowsy; but this wine, it would seem, was the heady vintage of the great gardens of Dorwinion, not meant for his soldiers or his servants, but for the king's feasts only, and for smaller bowls, not for the butler's great flagons.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 6 2014, 4:39am)

phij2
Rivendell

Feb 6 2014, 9:02am

Post #8 of 10 (148 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

i wonder if the part of the reason for showing this drunkenness is to further highlight the differences between the wood-elves, who are said to be less serious, and the sea elves such as Elrond. I find it very difficult to imagine Elrond drinking too much wine and falling asleep!

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Feb 6 2014, 11:58am

Post #9 of 10 (117 views)
Shortcut
You should have seen him in his younger days! [In reply to] Can't Post

Partying with beautiful elf-women all night long Wink Cool

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 6 2014, 6:03pm

Post #10 of 10 (87 views)
Shortcut
that is very cool, thank you for posting [In reply to] Can't Post

this wasn't "my" thread but that's a great bit of info - feeds into all the old folklore of the potency of "fairy wine" and how one should never drink or eat in the land of the fairies or "otherworlds" or you risk falling asleep forever, losing track of time, and you may never return to human lands. Or if you return 100 years or more has passed.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.