Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2014, 5:58pm

Post #351 of 402 (26755 views)
Shortcut
     I get that..... [In reply to]  

What I'd do now... ??!!???

...back (mumble mumble) years ago I met George Takei (Sulu) at a convention and stood in line (in a Middle-earthish medieval costume) for an autograph, and when I got there the only thing I had to sign was a leather wine/waterskin (which he kindly signed, and i promptly lost at the Pennsic Wars). I blorted something cheerful to the effect that "You know when all those other girls were lusting after Chekov? I was lusting after Sulu!" (I was, um, in 6, 7th and 8th grade when original Trek aired). (Oh great blessings upon you Uncle George because you are a truly classy gentleman)... he chuckled and said something cute, and signed my wineskin. (sigh, the best ones are married, dead, gay or fictional). He still has the best facebook page ever.

I was such a derp.

Now I would say something like, "I really enjoy your work!" Period, "nuff said. Smile, subtext, I appreciate you as a Creative Person and Professional bringing us great joy.

I am a derp.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

MistyMountain
Lorien

Feb 5 2014, 1:31am

Post #352 of 402 (26745 views)
Shortcut
     "He's fictional but you can't have everything" .// [In reply to]  

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 5 2014, 1:52am

Post #353 of 402 (26754 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil and his 'props'? :-) [In reply to]  

Who has the statue? I do and love the design. I pre-ordered the staff and hope it arrives soon! With any luck, they will release his sword and crown once TABA hits the theaters. I'd love to add both to my small collection. Blush

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 5 2014, 2:10am

Post #354 of 402 (26714 views)
Shortcut
     If the crown would be full-sized... [In reply to]  

I'd be likely to embarrass my family by shamelessly parading around wearing it! =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 5 2014, 2:16am

Post #355 of 402 (26721 views)
Shortcut
     Good night, Thralls... [In reply to]  

Lovely still from the "All things Thranduil" video clip:

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2014, 3:24am

Post #356 of 402 (26723 views)
Shortcut
     Sadly, no [In reply to]  

I don't have the money to buy any such figurines. :(

It's probably for the best though because I would find that one highly distracting!Wink

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 5 2014, 6:17am

Post #357 of 402 (26699 views)
Shortcut
     Senses and skills [In reply to]  

In Reply To

In Reply To

One thing I loved during my repeated viewings was the audience reaction to Thranduil saying "I know you're there" to Tauriel, when we think he's addressing Bilbo. Many people collectively gasped when Thranduil suddenly appeared before Bilbo. And there were a lot of laughs when Thranduil freed the orc's head from his miserable shoulders!____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I love how Bilbo is so visibly relieved when Tauriel appears out of the shadows. But for that spilt second on my first viewing - I was immediately impressed by this Elven King who was able to see - or sense - an invisible hobbit.

The 'head from shoulders' scene perfectly showcases Thranduil's impeccable mastery with a blade - and you've gotta love the flourish with which he sheaves his sword again as he walks away. Would love to see a frontal shot of that moment.

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 5 2014, 6:38am

Post #358 of 402 (26715 views)
Shortcut
     The statue, and your photo RG [In reply to]  

Hmm, I may have to think about this!
I currently have Eowyn and the Witch King facing each other down on the top of a tall book case, but soon I am getting some shelves done, which will give them a much better display place. (I also have a small half-Gollum) This shelf may urgently require some regal presence.

Re that lovely photo from you RG, of Lee being prepped. That video is great, (if that was MY Hand, I would not be washing Lee's DNA off in a hurry) and I truly hope we get even more on the EE, that we haven't yet seen. It would be disappointing to eagerly click on that appendices feature, then realise I've already seen it. But they don't release that material ahead of time, right? So we are bound to get something new *fingers crossed*

PJ does like to keep certain things under wraps. I heard that the third 'art of the Hobbit' book had to have some beautiful material withdrawn, because the book was going to be released just before DOS, and this material could NOT be sighed beforehand. (or am I thinking of the 2nd book? I only have the 1st but am aiming to own all)

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Feb 5 2014, 6:39am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 5 2014, 11:22am

Post #359 of 402 (26701 views)
Shortcut
     Subtle yet so telling [In reply to]  

The 'head from shoulders' scene perfectly showcases Thranduil's impeccable mastery with a blade - and you've gotta love the flourish with which he sheaves his sword again as he walks away. Would love to see a frontal shot of that moment.

To add to this... how Thranduil beheads an orc 'unseen'. We already see how lethal Legolas can be, with his speed, agility, accuracy and hero moves. Thranduil barely has to expend any energy on this kill - just that subtle movement. In this "less is more" way, PJ has portrayed just how much more dangerous the Elven king is. Bravo.

And so, I do have faith that PJ has Thranduil's best interests at heart and we will see more screen time in TABA. Concerned though, that "more Legolas, more hero moves" might be a directive from the studio.

On Leglas's popularity with the masses: my sister was living in India when FOTR and TTT came out. She said the cinema audience support for Legolas was "quite something", and when he flung himself onto the horse during the warg attack, the cheering didn't die down for a good 5 minutes.

(side-note: Sis said that when Aragorn and Arwen kissed on the bridge in Rivendell, it caused a riot! Catcalls of glee, boos of outrage. As you may know, kissing is censored in Indian cinema - but oops, they missed that one!)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 5 2014, 11:44am

Post #360 of 402 (26699 views)
Shortcut
     Thanx Swordwhale [In reply to]  

I like your ideas on those parallels!
I could discuss Loki for hours, thought this is not the forum for doing so. A certain King might get Miffed. :D

(but very quickly: y'know, Tom H was asked in some magazine quiz: "Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings?" His answer was Star Wars. I was a little disappointed.)

Yes I actually own The Highly Sensitive Person, and her theory on the much-needed place of the 'priests' in a world of 'warriors' has really helped over the years. It is probably due for a re-read soon.

And I really do know what you mean about 'deep secrets', though I can't articulate it as well as you.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 5 2014, 12:28pm

Post #361 of 402 (26700 views)
Shortcut
     *hypnotised* [In reply to]  

Ah.....I keep going back to page 7 to watch that hair being combed.....

If I were anywhere else, I'd be told I have a problem.

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 5 2014, 1:58pm

Post #362 of 402 (26675 views)
Shortcut
     I want it but have no room to display [In reply to]  

I have a ton of Weta collectibles from LOTR (my prize ones being the Legolas and Gimli on Arod statue and Legolas' Fighting Knives) but I no longer have room to display them. I also have a lot of other weapons (katana) and anime figures, all in boxes at the moment. *cries* But I know I will not be able to help myself if Weta releases Thranduil's sword and crown! Heart

In Reply To
Who has the statue? I do and love the design. I pre-ordered the staff and hope it arrives soon! With any luck, they will release his sword and crown once TABA hits the theaters. I'd love to add both to my small collection. Blush

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2014, 4:10pm

Post #363 of 402 (26686 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil should get some "hero moves" himself in BOFA [In reply to]  

LP has stated in a number of interviews that he had a lot of fight and stunt training and filmed quite a bit of fight/stunt-work for BOFA. He seemed pretty excited about it each time so it sounds like we'll get to see where Leggy got some of his moves! I think it might even be interesting to see Legolas and Thranduil fighting side-by-side as a team.

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Feb 5 2014, 4:30pm

Post #364 of 402 (26701 views)
Shortcut
     aye [In reply to]  

but please please without stupid action (surfing stairs or mumakil .. or for taba even smaug).

i agree i really want to have gorgeous fighting scenes

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2014, 4:33pm

Post #365 of 402 (26685 views)
Shortcut
     An early valentine from Thranduil to his Thralls <3 [In reply to]  

Even animated, he's still pretty handsome!Cool

Artwork belongs to Kumama on deviantART
http://kumama.deviantart.com/...ry/33751719?offset=0

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

jkm7
Bree

Feb 5 2014, 5:45pm

Post #366 of 402 (26680 views)
Shortcut
     Yes [In reply to]  

I would definitely love these two fighting toghether as a team. And also some pretty neat moves of Thranduil. So far we've only seen one litte clip of him fighting but that was awesome already. And I just looove him in his armour!
Attachments: last all..jpg (31.5 KB)

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Feb 5 2014, 5:50pm

Post #367 of 402 (26655 views)
Shortcut
     i [In reply to]  

love the messy hair (errr Angelic reminds me of fallen out of bed in the morning) and the circlet in the little clip

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 5 2014, 6:49pm

Post #368 of 402 (26644 views)
Shortcut
     Gorgeous fan art! [In reply to]  

Thanks for sharing that beautiful fan art of Thranduil jkm7!

jkm7
Bree

Feb 5 2014, 8:52pm

Post #369 of 402 (26635 views)
Shortcut
     You're very welcome :-) [In reply to]  

I love this picture, I think it's the best fan art of him I've seen so far.

(This post was edited by jkm7 on Feb 5 2014, 8:53pm)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 6 2014, 2:00am

Post #370 of 402 (26652 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil in action? [In reply to]  

This pic is supposed to be Thranduil in action. Looks like him but hard to tell! (That does look like his sword though and he appears to be wearing the circlet crown we've seen in other pics.)

And since one can never get enough of the mesmerizing King:

And one more for good measure:

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 6 2014, 2:09am

Post #371 of 402 (26647 views)
Shortcut
     I think it's Thranduil [In reply to]  

I think I've seen a gif of that where he's swinging his sword around at the orcs. Certainly seems to be him.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 5:13am

Post #372 of 402 (26612 views)
Shortcut
     Nice image fix RG :) [In reply to]  

Pic 1: Whoa, watch the wine glass there, dude. Long robes + a glass or two..... and probably steps...

Pic 2: Nice eye contact moment. *melt*.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 5:34am

Post #373 of 402 (26621 views)
Shortcut
     A left-handed swordsman! [In reply to]  

*impressed* Like Inigo Montoya from The Princess Bride, he may be even better with his right hand! But then, I imagine elves are highly proficient with either limb.
(does this mean, perhaps, that Lee is left handed?)

It looks like he could have a small knife in the right hand, the way he swings that arm over towards the orc's chest.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 5:43am

Post #374 of 402 (26607 views)
Shortcut
     Some armour detail [In reply to]  

I am not usually into fight scenes per se, but I can't wait to see (and worship) 'the game changer.' It will probably be my cinema event of 2014.
Also looking forward to laying my hands on the relevant Hobbit art & design book.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 6 2014, 10:58am

Post #375 of 402 (26592 views)
Shortcut
     Me too! [In reply to]  

I have the first three books. Can't wait for the others!

I think the DoS book mentions Thranduil as having two swords. I imagine he has at least two and probably some fighting knives. He's been around long enough to have collected some serious weaponry.

Some Thranduil to start the day:

In Reply To
I am not usually into fight scenes per se, but I can't wait to see (and worship) 'the game changer.' It will probably be my cinema event of 2014.
Also looking forward to laying my hands on the relevant Hobbit art & design book.

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Feb 6 2014, 11:00am)

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.