Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
TORn Amateur Symposium - April 2014. Call For Submissions Thread.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

TORn Amateur Symposium
Bree

Feb 5 2014, 12:17am

Post #1 of 58 (1107 views)
Shortcut
TORn Amateur Symposium - April 2014. Call For Submissions Thread. Can't Post

Following on from the successes of the first two TORn Amateur Symposiums, we are pleased to present the Third TORn Amateur Symposium (TAS3), this April! Thank you to everybody who contributed to TAS last time - thanks to all of you, it was great reading! Our committee of 3 - (Brethil, elaen32 and DanielLB ) and, judging by all your feedback, many of you - really enjoyed the first two Symposiums. So without further delay, here are the details you need to know for TAS3:

Overview:

TORn Amateur Symposium is an opportunity for us to share our written ideas on Tolkien-related subjects, in a more detailed way than the usual posts on the boards.
Some general categories to consider writing topics within are:

- Flora/Fauna of Middle Earth
- Art, Literature and Philosophy
- Natural Science, Geology and Weather
- Peoples and Cultures of Middle Earth.

These are just some suggestions based on the previous submissions. But remember, your ideas are limitless! Geography, history, ethnology, linguistics, botany, mythology and onomastics ... if you can write an essay about it, we'd love to read it!

Below is our proposed schedule for the TAS3:

Submission and deadline dates:

Tuesday, February 2nd- Introductory thread/Call for submissions thread

That’s this one!

Don’t panic yet! All you have to do is express interest in writing an essay for TAS. Either respond to this thread, or alternativel PM Brethil or DanielLB. And of course, get those thinking caps on! Through the Symposium process, we will stay in contact with anyone that expresses interest in writing an essay for TAS.

Sunday, March 9th - First reminder thread

This will be a reminder thread for everyone, and we will repeat the details and answer any question you might have. You can express interest in submitting an essay all the way until the closing date. So we want to make sure everyone has had a chance to think about writing an essay.

Sunday, March 23rd - Second reminder thread

This is the last reminder thread and not the closing date. Between this thread and the first reminder thread, we would like to confirm with you your proposed topic and possible title (via PM). These will all be included in this thread. People are welcome to express interest all the way up until the closing date.

Sunday, April 6th – Submission closes thread

By this date, all submissions will have been sent to us (see “How To Submit Work”). Another summary of all the entries (and provisional dates) will also be posted.

The week period between this allows us to check all submissions, order all essays into appropriate sessions, and allow for last minute editing. If you are unable to submit before then, not to worry: there is always the next TAS (July) which will be a special, Lord of the Rings themed 'Jubilee Anniversary TAS' to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of the publishing of The Fellowship of the Ring.

Thursday, April 10th - Anything after this date will, unfortunately, not be accepted.

Sunday, April 13th- First TAS thread

All those hours of hard work from everyone will be presented on this date, and the following days!

TBD, in April - Feedback thread

As part of the symposium structure, we are always interested in ideas on what can (or should) be done, and what may or may not have worked. Feel free to tell us what you thought about the structure of the symposium, and any problems you experienced through this process. We will also tell you about the next TAS and provisional dates. The date for the feedback thread will be confirmed once we know how we are going to stagger each of the essays.

Some Guidelines for the TORn Amateur Symposium:

We're not looking for flawlessly polished, professionally cited work. This is for fun and enjoyment, and to share our common love of the JRR Tolkien universe: thus the title! We would like to see your original ideas, which tie in somehow to the works of Tolkien; they can be written from an academic, opinion or real-world perspective. Citations and references, although not required, may be helpful at times to readers, and feel free to use them as appropriate to support your writing. Discussion of the work is most heartily encouraged, keeping in mind both the "by the fans, for the fans" nature of the creations, as well as the dual spirit of fun and inquiry which we would like to promote in this Symposium series. We expect to have a Symposium 3-4 times annually. So if you miss a date, don't worry overmuch; you can always submit at the next round.

We have great regard for the creativity of our members, and very much look forward to reading your thoughts, TORn brethren!

Some notes on word count and spacing of pieces:

The first TAS had a a word limit of 2,000 words for each essay. Since then, we have removed the limit altogether. As a result, your piece can be as short or as long as you like. However, we do recommend not writing too long a piece, due to the short time-frame of TAS, and the limited time of potential readers and responders to your essay. We think a word count of 2,000 - 5,000 is a good length. But we leave that to author discretion.

In TAS1, essays were grouped into similar categories, and a new session was posted each day. From the feedback thread, it was suggested that too many essays were posted too often. So we will confirm when (and how often) essays will be posted, once all the authors have submitted their work. Depending on the number of essays, we will stagger them over a 1-2 week period. This seemed to work well for TAS2.

We would also like all authors to submit a short (100-300 words) abstract of their essay. This is simply to provide an overview of your essay to potential readers. Keeping in mind of the guidelines above, this has to be quite short. These will be posted in the session thread with the link to your essay. An abstract might cover: what you are writing about, why you are writing about it, what evidence/details/points you make, and what conclusions you come to.

We will happily answer any questions you might have about these changes. Feel free to ask!

How To Submit Work:

It starts with an idea (doesn't it always!) You can describe your idea in the Call for Submissions thread (that's this one!). Feel free to PM DanielLB or Brethil with any questions or concerns that you may have. We ask that all essays are submitted by Sunday, April 6th. Of course earlier submission is fine, feel free to submit your piece when you feel it is ready. And if Real Life interferes, just let us know - expressing interest isn't a commitment, and if you need to, you can post in the next Symposium - or just read along with us!

Please submit your pieces (including the Abstract) via the TAS email address, which is tornamateursymposium@gmail.com. If possible, submit your pieces as Word or other document format attached to your email, rather than in the body of the email. Also if possible, please submit your abstract as a separate message. Brethil, DanielLB and elaen32 all have access to the email account and to the TAS account, and will be reading and responding to emails/postings and queries as soon as we can.

If you would like to read the Abstracts submitted for the November TAS, you can see them here: November TAS Abstract Thread

We will do a quick look-over of the piece for any potential editing concerns (like those troublesome, sneak-attack typos) and to make certain that all pieces comply with TORn's ToS guidelines. (We can't post anything in that may be in violation, but if questions arise we will contact the author to resolve any issues.) All finished pieces will then be posted for display and discussion on the given date - we will send a PM to authors to inform them of when their piece will run.

Queries:

If you have queries or concerns, please send a PM via the TAS nick. It will be read by Brethil, Daniel or elaen32, depending on who gets there first. Please try and give us a little time to respond, since we may be at work or not otherwise in a position to give an immediate answer. If, however, you think that your query would be of more general interest to others, then you can also post it as a reply to this, or subsequent TAS threads.

We are incredibly excited about TAS3, and look forward to the wonderful essays that will be submitted. Happy scribbling!

Elaen, Brethil & Daniel Smile

(This post was edited by TORn Amateur Symposium on Feb 5 2014, 12:24am)

StevenUmbrello
Bree

Feb 5 2014, 4:22am

Post #2 of 58 (395 views)
Shortcut
Interest in submission [In reply to] Can't Post

I am interested in submitting an essay for this symposium regarding fate and the self-fulfilling prophecy in the Children of Hurin.

-----------------------------------------------------
The Leather Library...Philosophy, Great Literature, Pipes and the Finer things in life. Check out the YouTube channel and Blog

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBBCorps
Blog: theleatherlibrary.wordpress.com

Greater Smials

Feb 5 2014, 4:51am

Post #3 of 58 (373 views)
Shortcut
TORn Amateur Symposium [In reply to] Can't Post

Title: Do Dragons Have Souls?––An Analysis of the Origin and Nature of Middle-earth Dragons

www.hole-intheground.blogspot.com

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 5 2014, 4:55am

Post #4 of 58 (358 views)
Shortcut
Great to see new people signing up. Welcome! // [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn Amateur Symposium
Bree

Feb 5 2014, 7:44am

Post #5 of 58 (355 views)
Shortcut
Sounds interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

and should engender a lot of discussion. Looking forward to reading it
Thanks
The TAS team

TORn Amateur Symposium
Bree

Feb 5 2014, 7:46am

Post #6 of 58 (347 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! Another one which should get the discussion going [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to it GS!
Thanks
The TAS team

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2014, 11:10am

Post #7 of 58 (369 views)
Shortcut
I've got one! - "Interlacing the War of the Ring" [In reply to] Can't Post

At the end of The Fellowship of The Ring, the Fellowship breaks into groups - Frodo and Sam heading to Mordor; Pippin and Merry captured by orcs; and Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli pursuing them. They are not all re-united until after the destruction of the Ring (and a re-union of everyone except Frodo and Sam promptly leads to them separating in new groups). The narrative follows first one of these groups and then another, giving a structure known as “interlace”. This structure allows Tolkien to exploit several effects from the order in which the reader is told things, and the extent to which we readers know things that the characters do not.

It's a subtly- handled effect, with the result that I felt that the only way I could study it was to make a synopsis of these chapters and look at what the consequences are of having put them in this particular order.

So what I'd like to offer is that synopsis and commentary - I do not pretend that I will have identified all the effects Tolkien generates in this way: but then, that's what the discussion thread is for Smile

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Feb 5 2014, 2:05pm

Post #8 of 58 (325 views)
Shortcut
Sounds good! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to see your thoughts on this.

www.middleearthinayear.blogspot.com

Bow&Helm
The Shire

Feb 5 2014, 2:28pm

Post #9 of 58 (348 views)
Shortcut
Applicability of Tolkien Essay [In reply to] Can't Post

This will be a bit more personal in nature. I will be looking at one particular Tolkien story and how it was applicable and inspirational to my life. The good news is it's complete. The bad news is I was all set to submit in the last symposium but totally dropped the ball on deadline dates.

www.middleearthinayear.blogspot.com

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 5 2014, 5:04pm

Post #10 of 58 (312 views)
Shortcut
Dreaded Real Life [In reply to] Can't Post

Always confounds our Tolkien time, drat it! Laugh
But glad to hear you are finished for this run!

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Feb 5 2014, 5:13pm

Post #11 of 58 (311 views)
Shortcut
Looks like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think I will pass this time around, too much going on, but I am looking forward to focus on reading this time instead of creation and defense/interaction.

Not all those who wander are lost

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 5 2014, 5:28pm

Post #12 of 58 (312 views)
Shortcut
Always glad to have you around Ranger! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile In any capacity! (Keep us in mind if you have any LOTR ideas for July.)

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Feb 5 2014, 6:20pm

Post #13 of 58 (297 views)
Shortcut
this one I am very excited to read [In reply to] Can't Post

The discussion of dragons is always insightful.

Not all those who wander are lost

demnation
Rohan

Feb 5 2014, 6:33pm

Post #14 of 58 (314 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! Lots of interesting stuff lined up already! [In reply to] Can't Post

I might be able to get something together in time, but more than likely it will be for the summer session.

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 5 2014, 6:40pm

Post #15 of 58 (289 views)
Shortcut
That will be quite an opus--looking forward to it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 5 2014, 6:55pm

Post #16 of 58 (286 views)
Shortcut
Well - we'd love to hear from you either way! [In reply to] Can't Post

The July will be LOTR themed...so if you have an idea percolating by all means we'd love to see it!
(Can't believe FOTR will be 60! It looks awfully good for its age doesn't it? Laugh)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 5 2014, 6:57pm

Post #17 of 58 (290 views)
Shortcut
I think all of Furincurinir's writing are opus...es [In reply to] Can't Post

Opi? Opi-ouses?
And yet he is never opi-nionated. Laugh (Oh that's awful.)

CuriousG
Valinor

Feb 5 2014, 7:12pm

Post #18 of 58 (288 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. Someone appears to have driven too close [In reply to] Can't Post

to the fumes of an opium den.

Karl Marx called religion the opiate of the masses. Tolkien is my opiate. (I bet it's even legal to read him in Colorado now.)

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 5 2014, 9:53pm

Post #19 of 58 (320 views)
Shortcut
Yes. True, maybe. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue Been reading Sherlock Holmes. Got too into character.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2014, 4:09pm

Post #20 of 58 (250 views)
Shortcut
No no, O'Pus is Queen Beruthiel's Irish cat... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2014, 4:29pm

Post #21 of 58 (277 views)
Shortcut
"Help me Opi-Wan Kopussy, you're our only hope!" // [In reply to] Can't Post

elaen32
Gondor

Feb 6 2014, 5:40pm

Post #22 of 58 (261 views)
Shortcut
ROFL!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is Gothmog her black cat, with the eyeliner and piercings?Crazy

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in April. Happy writing!

cats16
Tol Eressea

Feb 6 2014, 7:13pm

Post #23 of 58 (246 views)
Shortcut
That one sounds like quite a brute! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Andarin

Feb 6 2014, 9:40pm

Post #24 of 58 (254 views)
Shortcut
Symposium [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello! I'm definitely interested. Cheers!

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 6 2014, 9:44pm

Post #25 of 58 (245 views)
Shortcut
Welcome Andarin! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do let us know about your ideas and your progress! You can always contact us via PM.
Warm Welcome to TORn! Angelic

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.