Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Tauriel healing scene

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Feb 2 2014, 11:50pm

Post #1 of 9 (801 views)
Shortcut
The Tauriel healing scene Can't Post

I don't think it has been said here, but as anyone noticed a certain similarity between the scene where Tauriel heals Kili from the Morgul wound with Athelas and the houses of healing in Lotr? Now I think the houses of healing chapter in Lotr was cut by PJ, so I wonder if he thought of an opportunity to putting some of the idea back into the films at this stage? This would be typical of PJ if this was the case.

(This post was edited by Hamfast Gamgee on Feb 2 2014, 11:53pm)

book Gandalf
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 12:14am

Post #2 of 9 (445 views)
Shortcut
wasnt [In reply to] Can't Post

wasnt the healing scene of frodo with aragorn and sam looking for athelas in the FOTR film the nod to the houses of healing scene from the book ?

its like a double nod to the missed out houses of healing chapter.

my advice, just put the damn original scene in the film in the first place lol

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 3 2014, 4:13am

Post #3 of 9 (370 views)
Shortcut
It's in the ROTK EE [In reply to] Can't Post

I see little similarity mainly because the Houses of Healing was about Aragorn much (aside from the obvious). Aragorn as the king and in folklore and myth the king's touch is healing, people wished to just be touched or touch a king's hand, sick were taken to the palace of put on the side of roads where the king would pass in hope he would touch them, etc. It's a very old thing, so Tolkien included it for Aragorn as another proof the king had returned.

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 3 2014, 5:07am

Post #4 of 9 (334 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

the similarity lies in the fact that Book Faramir and Film Kili are wounded by poisoned arrows, and treated with athelas.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2014, 3:24am

Post #5 of 9 (160 views)
Shortcut
As I wrote [In reply to] Can't Post

"aside from the obvious". Smile Besides, Eowyn and Merry were also healed using athelas. The problem for me is that while Tolkien explicitly included the old folklore into his text: "The hands of the king are the hands of a healer, and so shall the rightful king be known" , thus giving the healing its own value, the scene with Tauriel has no such value and to me is a poor attempt. As far as I remember Aragorn was granted the skill of Elven healing, to some extend. Tauriel showed up of nowhere, so her skills and history are just made up and this makes me dislike the invention even more. IMO.

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Noria
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 1:39pm

Post #6 of 9 (130 views)
Shortcut
I agree arithmancer [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, Tauriel is an elf, not a human.

In FotR, Aragorn says that Frodo needs "Elvish medicine".

In DoS, Oin makes mention of the legendary healing powers of the elves and Tauriel shows us this.

I see no reason that a Sylvan elf shouldn't have healing abilities.

Ismene
The Shire

Feb 5 2014, 4:37am

Post #7 of 9 (73 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

especially considering as Captain of the Guard she's out fighting spiders & orcs on a regular basis so she's bound to run into poisoned wounds in the course of her duties.

more to the point, just because half or more of the world forgets how or why that plant is important & useful, no way any Elvish group would.

"I see fire
Inside the mountain
I see fire
Burning the trees
And I see fire
Hollowing souls
I see fire
Blood in the breeze
And I hope that you remember me"

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2014, 9:18am

Post #8 of 9 (80 views)
Shortcut
Oin is also the first person to mention that Kili needs athelas... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there any evidence to suppose that Oin could have healed Kili himself once the herb had been obtained, or was Kili too far gone and only the hands of an Elf could have saved him?

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

marillaraina
Rohan

Feb 5 2014, 2:39pm

Post #9 of 9 (74 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is there any evidence to suppose that Oin could have healed Kili himself once the herb had been obtained, or was Kili too far gone and only the hands of an Elf could have saved him?

I think it needed the Elven magic. Athelas isn't unknown as a healing plant to the people in Middle Earth, but as I recall they use it for headaches and things like that(lady in Houses of the Healing in LOTR mentioned it), so he was probably going to give it Kili for the pain and fever, like aspirin. Just anything to try and make him more comfortable.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.