Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
M-o-o-n, that spells The Stand. Laws, yes!

Starling
Valinor

Feb 5, 8:29am

Views: 130
Shortcut
M-o-o-n, that spells The Stand. Laws, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of you might remember I posted about re-reading The Stand a couple of weeks ago. We had a brief discussion about some of the LOTR connections, so I made a point of looking out for things as I was reading.

*Spoilers* ahead, for anyone who doesn't want to read them.

One of the most obvious connections was in the depiction of Randall Flagg, particularly when it came to his supernatural abilities. He used his black stone necklaces as one way of seeing people and seeing events:

She happened to glance over to the night table.
Black stone.
Red flaw.
It seemed to be staring at her.
She had a sudden horrible feeling that it was staring at her, that it was his eye with its contact lens of humanity removed, staring at her as the Eye of Sauron had started at Frodo from the dark fastness of Barad-Dur, in Mordor, where the shadows lie.
It sees me, she thought with hopeless horror...

And another:

He could feel the sudden wakefulness. He seemed to see/feel an Eye opening in the darkness of the early morning, a dreadful red Eye...It was turning in the darkness. Looking. Looking for him. It knew Tom Cullen was there...

There were some other things I noticed, particularly in the long and difficult journey home that Tom Cullen and Stu made. It often made me think about Sam and Frodo, and the way they supported each other utterly in the most desperate times. Both Stu and Tom had to push beyond what they knew about themselves, and discover their strength, often in surprising ways. For Stu this also meant being vulnerable, and submitting himself to Tom's care, even though Stu was 'meant' to be the strong and clever one.

I really enjoyed reading The Stand again, all 1325 pages of it. It's interesting to note that this longer version has a bleaker ending, with the postscript, 'The Circle Closes', in which Flagg makes a reappearance.

On a side note, after I finished the book I watched the mini series. It was worth watching for Gary Sinese, but that's as good as it got for me. Molly Ringwald was absolutely dreadful, and whoever was in charge of her wardrobe should have been sacked. Randall Flagg with a mullett was pretty hard to take seriously.

(This post was edited by Starling on Feb 5, 8:32am)

Subject User Time
It's the (late) Tuesday reading thread! Annael Send a private message to Annael Feb 4, 8:38pm
    Me dubulous Send a private message to dubulous Feb 4, 9:11pm
    The Kingmaker's Daughter; The Third Bullet Elberbeth Send a private message to Elberbeth Feb 4, 9:44pm
    The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown Kim Send a private message to Kim Feb 4, 10:08pm
    A Storm of Swords demnation Send a private message to demnation Feb 4, 11:57pm
        It surprises me Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Feb 5, 12:31am
            GAH! acheron Send a private message to acheron Feb 5, 12:09pm
        Wait till you get to a Feast for Crows! Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Feb 6, 5:06am
            Sidling in here to comment... smtfhw Send a private message to smtfhw Feb 6, 1:29pm
    Madame Bovary MistyMountain Send a private message to MistyMountain Feb 5, 3:32am
    M-o-o-n, that spells The Stand. Laws, yes! Starling Send a private message to Starling Feb 5, 8:29am
        I just love The Stand (film spoilers folks) Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 5, 7:41pm
            Something I forgot to say in the first post Starling Send a private message to Starling Feb 5, 7:58pm
                Brings up a cool point Starling Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 5, 8:04pm
                    Exactly Starling Send a private message to Starling Feb 5, 8:19pm
                        Makes me think about that point Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Feb 5, 10:03pm
    I've seen Le Guin mentioned several times rather recently. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Feb 5, 9:58am
        yes and yes Annael Send a private message to Annael Feb 5, 10:25pm
            I loved Left Hand of Darkness Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Feb 8, 5:18am
    Children's books this week.... Elwen Send a private message to Elwen Feb 5, 6:26pm
    Still re-reading 'The Elenium' Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Feb 5, 7:31pm
    No Bed for Bacon Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Feb 6, 1:47am
    Joust, Mercedes Lackey Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Feb 6, 8:42pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.