Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Screencap of the Day: The Lady of Light in Dark Places

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 3 2014, 11:07pm

Post #1 of 13 (389 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: The Lady of Light in Dark Places Can't Post

You can find the full-sized image HERE if you'd like to take a look.

I know we've talked a lot in the past about how Galadriel is here with Frodo at this time. Whether it's telepathy or hallucination or memory. I always liked to think a little piece of Galadriel was left with Frodo after their contact in Lothlorien, but that's complete fantasy on my part with no basis in script or text.

I like the detail here that Frodo's cloak shows both spider webs and leaves stuck to it. Kind of like he exists in both worlds right here.

So, questions. As always, feel free to answer any, all, or none of these as you talk about the screencap today.

1.Why Galadriel at this time and place, instead of any of the other characters Frodo has met?

2. What do you see in Frodo's expression here?

3. Did you find the transition from dark into light jarring, refreshing, or some other adjective all together?

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Feb 4 2014, 1:01am

Post #2 of 13 (184 views)
Shortcut
only answering #2 [In reply to] Can't Post

I will let others who are far wiser than me enlighten us on the answers to #1 and #3, but I will take a shot at #2.

I've always loved this scene, because of Wood's acting. I know he gets criticized around these parts, but I've always thought his performance was very good.

I think this scene helps disprove the argument that Wood's Frodo is much weaker/more indecisive than book Frodo.

That expression is the expression of a Hobbit who has been tested and confronted by horrors he could scarcely imagine prior to leaving the Shire...Frodo has been pushed to his breaking point, and is now utterly alone in a forsaken land (particularly true of movie Frodo -- who no longer has Sam for support at this point). Yet despite all these trials, he finds the resolve and determination to press onward, not for his own sake, but for the sake of the world and friends within it that he loves and is trying to save. In my mind, it parallels the scene in FOTR where he volunteers to take the ring, despite not knowing the way; except this time, Frodo has a firmer grasp of how impossibly difficult this task will be.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Nira
Lorien

Feb 4 2014, 2:35am

Post #3 of 13 (183 views)
Shortcut
I'll try some quick answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. She is the most serene, maternal, and beautiful being in ME, plus he has her vial with him to remind him of her (and this "light" she promised).

2. He's still unsure if he wants to pull himself up and continue.

3. refreshing, but I most noticed the transition back into the dark "real world" after being in the light one, rather than going into the light one.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2014, 2:46am

Post #4 of 13 (175 views)
Shortcut
My answers... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) He's sent Sam home, and gotten rid of Gollum. He's completely alone. To me, she is a logical thought at this point because of the conversation they had in FotR, in which she told him that if he does not suceed, no one will.It's completely clear at this moment that she was right. Also, the light probably reminded him of her...

2) To me he looks resolute. At this point in the scene he's made up his mind, he'll get up and keep going.

3) I could not attach an emotional reaction to the light at this point, Its certainly a contrast to Frodo's current circumstances!

cats16
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2014, 2:53am

Post #5 of 13 (176 views)
Shortcut
Some thoughts... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) I think, in a way, Galadriel had the most surreal impact on Frodo. His experience with her was quite unexpected. She's both mysterious and welcoming. Also, I think it's a great moment for Galadriel. A bearer of the Three, she is stepping in for the one who has fallen (and hasn't returned, to Frodo's knowledge).

2) Going off of that, I think here he's saying, "Ok, I trust you. I'm finishing this." It was one of my favorite Frodo moments in the films. I teared up big time seeing this the first time. It really made me feel so insignificant in the daily stuff that may have been troublesome at the time. A very humbling moment.

3) I think refreshingly jarring (to steal both words Wink) is a good summation of my thoughts. Even though it's in Lothlorien, it's still got the sense of mystery that we've come to associate it with. We just left Shelob's yet, this place still has that queer feelling to it. I think the film really did an incredible job at cutting in between these two places. They're different, yet they're much more similar than one would believe. Some believe Galadriel weaves her *own* kind of webs, comparable to Shelob's literal ones. I think this is the best comparison I can made at this very moment, though I'll come back if something else pops into my head.

Thanks, A-D! *sigh* Each SCOD is getting sadder and sadder as the film progresses.

(This post was edited by cats16 on Feb 4 2014, 2:56am)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2014, 2:58am

Post #6 of 13 (169 views)
Shortcut
They share something [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Galadriel is a ring bearer and Frodo knows it. She is the only other ring bearer Frodo knows of at this point. Aside from her power being hard to forget or ignore, Galadriel spoke to Frodo in a language one ring bearer speaks to another. Such a secret and experience develops special connections. Although I also think Galadriel simply reached telepathically to him at this moment of need.

I find him determined here. Determination.

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

FarFromHome
Valinor

Feb 4 2014, 2:15pm

Post #7 of 13 (166 views)
Shortcut
Amazing Grace [In reply to] Can't Post

I think of this moment as being the same kind of mystical experience that Aragorn has with Arwen in TTT ("May the grace of the Valar protect you"). It's never made clear (and I'm sure that's deliberate!) just how the Elves can watch over others in thought, but when things are at their worst, that's when they appear to you and give you the strength to carry on.

I think the filmmakers were influenced for this scene by comments made by Tolkien, about Galadriel being inspired by his idea of the Virgin Mary. Galadriel has an otherworldy look, the light behind her golden hair practically gives her a halo, and she holds out her arms in the traditional pose of statues of the Virgin Mary extending her arms to those who call on her for help. It's also important, I think, that Frodo receives his vision right after he says "I'm sorry Sam, so sorry" - he's understood and confessed what he did wrong, and he's rewarded with Galadriel's help and inspiration. He's being pulled out of the dark world of the Ring that he shared with Gollum, and being given a glimpse of the light. Yes, it's jarring and disorienting, but that's because it's a vision of goodness and light in a dark and evil place. But it's enough to give Frodo the strength and courage to pick himself up from his most despairing moment and carry on. I think this is a really inspired way to translate the book scene of the Phial in Shelob's Lair, and to make it a stunning moment of grace and redemption for Frodo.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

cats16
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2014, 2:24pm

Post #8 of 13 (142 views)
Shortcut
Wonderfully said. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't considered the Virgin Mary pose (consciously, at least). That is a fantastic interpretation.

Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 4 2014, 5:27pm

Post #9 of 13 (148 views)
Shortcut
Returning the favor [In reply to] Can't Post

1.Why Galadriel at this time and place, instead of any of the other characters Frodo has met?

She knows exactly the temptation that Frodo, and for that matter Gollum, has just went through.

2. What do you see in Frodo's expression here?

Stunned unbelief that he is being offered salvation. But then, why not? He offered it to Gollum, now it is being offered to him. "What goes around comes around" seems to be a major theme in Tolkien.

3. Did you find the transition from dark into light jarring, refreshing, or some other adjective all together?

It is of course the contrast with Gollum's fate. Just earlier Frodo and Gollum were locked in a murderous struggle over the ring. Gollum couldn't let go of his lust for the ring so he literally fell into darkness. But what of Frodo?

Because of Frodo, Galadriel, the Lady of Light, "passed the test" and will now voyage into the light of the West.

It was Frodo's own innocence which inspired Galadriel to release her desire of the ring. Now she repays that favor by offering aid in return.

Like Gollum Frodo can either refuse or reach out and take the hand extended to him.

He takes it.

Of course this foreshadows the moment at Oroduin where Sam also extends his hand to Frodo and Frodo, after totally succumbing to the ring, finds himself again in time to take it.

Very nice!

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

elaen32
Gondor

Feb 4 2014, 8:00pm

Post #10 of 13 (138 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel is the only one... [In reply to] Can't Post

who has revealed herself to him as being a Ringbearer, which has enhanced the connection against them. I wonder if it is easier for Galadriel to communicate in this way, since by now, they are both partly of this world and the more shadowy world. Galadriel is a Noldo, who has lived in Aman and so, like Glorfindel, would live in both worlds at the same time. Since Frodo is becoming increasingly enslaved to the Ring, he too is visible in both worlds both to Galadriel and, unfortunately, to Sauron as he moves further into Mordor
Frodo appears stunned and confused here, almost as if he was so lost in his despair and dark thoughts, that he had forgotten that such things as light, soft earth and a kind voice existed

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2014, 8:14pm

Post #11 of 13 (120 views)
Shortcut
Yet another insightful post, FarFromHome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think this is a really inspired way to translate the book scene of the Phial in Shelob's Lair, and to make it a stunning moment of grace and redemption for Frodo.

A very helpful perspective. Smile

"I did shatter his lantern, and that would have been pretty fair shooting, I can tell you, if I had been aiming at it!"

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 5 2014, 4:37am

Post #12 of 13 (160 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps a more cynical explanation for Galadriel's appearance [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe just an out-of-film explanation, I think the filmmakers had to include Gladdy somewhere in the film so that some of the non-readers would remember who she is before her appearance at the Havens.

That doesn't minimze the scene for me and I really like it, but I can't help thinking about why the filmmakers constructed the story the way they did.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 27 2014, 8:06pm

Post #13 of 13 (51 views)
Shortcut
Frodo alone, but not alone [In reply to] Can't Post

At this point in the quest Frodo is seemingly really alone from here on. As far as he knows, Gandalf is gone, Sam is gone and he's on his own. So where is he going to get his strength from now. The film makers could have gone with an overused flashback or voiceover of Frodo remembering words of wisdom from Galadriel or someone else, but instead they went with this, which I think is more powerful, where it's more of a full blown vision, both very real and very unreal, to show how he is not really alone and he still has help from others in the quest.

Also, her hand reaching out to him to let him know he's not alone, is to me reminiscent of the hand-grasping scene from FOTR when Frodo pulls Sam out of the water, and of course at the end of ROTK when Sam pulls Frodo up from the edge. In all instances it shows that even though he was willing to go on alone, that he was not alone.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.