Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Is this the end of fantasy worlds?

OldBeard
The Shire

Feb 2 2014, 7:30pm

Post #1 of 16 (282 views)
Shortcut
Is this the end of fantasy worlds? Can't Post

I recently came across an article on the Wall Street Journal website which I shared on my Hobbit news blog. The article discusses how electronic media is beginning to dominate books in telling fantasy stories and that this isn't really a good thing. I didn't agree 100% with everything that the author wrote, but I did agree with certain parts. I'm curious what the members of TORn think about this issue. The article can be found here.

My Hobbit News Blog

(This post was edited by OldBeard on Feb 2 2014, 7:33pm)

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 2 2014, 8:01pm

Post #2 of 16 (181 views)
Shortcut
it's been hard in the book world for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

"Fewer authors are proving up to the hard task of creating fantasy worlds in literature that become cultural touchstones."

Just my impressions, but for me I'm not even thinking of books that become cultural touchstones. Just a good fantasy series that isn't 1) a ripoff of Tolkien and 2) isn't so formulaic that I read it and promptly forget it. On the other hand, re fantasy, there's a very real element of just how do you come up with something original that people don't promptly compare to something else.

So with all the media influence I'd say a core problem is what it will always be with any kind of art - it's just plain hard to come up with an inspiration that's both original and will capture the heart of the masses. Oh, and can the author actually write?

So readers like myself are left to comb Amazon and/or wait on George Martin.

Dame Ioreth
Grey Havens

Feb 2 2014, 8:57pm

Post #3 of 16 (174 views)
Shortcut
Try Lois McMaster Bujold [In reply to] Can't Post

She writes sci/fi and Fantasy and I like her fantasy stuff better. Curse of the Chalion is the first book in a 3 book series and then there is The Sharing Knife series. Her writing makes the world come alive in a way that no other author has for me. I can feel the heat of the sun and the unevenness of the pebbled road when she describes it.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 3 2014, 8:42pm

Post #4 of 16 (140 views)
Shortcut
90% of modern fantasy novels are crap. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, 90% of fantasy novels from the supposed glory days of Carroll, Baum, Barrie, Burroughs, Howard, Lewis, and Tolkien were crap.

Just think: a generation from now people will be saying "In my day politicians were honest, children were well-behaved, there were fantasy touchstone novels aplenty, and YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"

The more things change....

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 4 2014, 12:00am

Post #5 of 16 (128 views)
Shortcut
Sturgeon's Law (attributed to the late Theodore Sturgeon) [In reply to] Can't Post

Ninety percent of anything is crud.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 4 2014, 1:26am

Post #6 of 16 (117 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I have to say I've found that true. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no genre of books or movies that doesn't seem to consist of a few gold nuggets and an awful lot of dross. Of course, opinions sometimes vary as to which is which.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 4 2014, 1:27am

Post #7 of 16 (119 views)
Shortcut
"Children today are tyrants. [In reply to] Can't Post

"They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannise their teachers." - Socrates, 420BC.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 4 2014, 3:11am

Post #8 of 16 (107 views)
Shortcut
Actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that's "Sturgeon's Revelation":

"I repeat Sturgeon's Revelation, which was wrung out of me after twenty years of wearying defense of science fiction against attacks of people who used the worst examples of the field for ammunition, and whose conclusion was that ninety percent of it is crud.
The Revelation: Ninety percent of everything is crud."

-Theodore Sturgeon, "On Hand: A Book", Venture Science Fiction, March 1958.

"Sturgeon's Law" is "Nothing is always absolutely so".
-Theodore Sturgeon, "The Claustrophile", Galaxy Science Fiction, August 1956.

Of course nowadays Sturgeon's Revelation is called Sturgeon's Law and Sturgeon's Law is mostly forgotten.

Crazy kids.

May 1910: The Nine Kings assembled at Buckingham Palace for the funeral of Edward VII.
(From left to right, back row: Haakon VII of Norway, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Manuel II of Portugal, Wilhelm II of Germany, George I of Greece, and Albert I of Belgium. Front row: Alphonso XIII of Spain, George V of England, and Frederick VIII of Denmark.)

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 4 2014, 3:18am

Post #9 of 16 (106 views)
Shortcut
Did they have lawns back then? [In reply to] Can't Post

If so I bet the little delinquents were all over them.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2014, 3:42am

Post #10 of 16 (82 views)
Shortcut
Worse. They had beautiful gardens. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2014, 3:46am

Post #11 of 16 (87 views)
Shortcut
That's true. [In reply to] Can't Post

Today's gardens aren't half as beautiful as the ones we had in the good old days.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 4 2014, 4:27am

Post #12 of 16 (92 views)
Shortcut
I bet... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they trampled out the vintage where the grapes of wrath were stored.

Dang kids!

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 4 2014, 8:33am

Post #13 of 16 (116 views)
Shortcut
But they wouldn't be able to tie their boot laces to do the tramping, [In reply to] Can't Post

'cause they can use an Ipad but they can't tie their laces. And they have never eaten grapes, only trans-fatty acids.
*runs in circles in moral panic*

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 4 2014, 2:02pm

Post #14 of 16 (69 views)
Shortcut
They wouldn't know a slip knot from a half hitch. [In reply to] Can't Post

No wonder their pants keep falling down!

(Of course, everytime they go into a store and try to buy a belt the cops arrest them, so they do have that excuse.)

Dang cops!

As for fancy-smancy trans-fatty acids, in my day we ate lard and were thankful!

Ungrateful kids!

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 4 2014, 3:36pm

Post #15 of 16 (55 views)
Shortcut
Little villains! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 4 2014, 4:50pm

Post #16 of 16 (64 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm over 50 and have been reading science fiction since I was a little nipper and I have never encountered the original "Sturgeon's Law". Perhaps it should be "Sturgeon's First Law"; then we could refer to "Sturgeon's Revelation" as "Sturgeon's Second Law".

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.