Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Posthumous Material

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 5:31am

Post #1 of 4 (182 views)
Shortcut
Posthumous Material Can't Post

Has Christopher said if he would be able to do anymore posthumous works, such as The Children of Hurin? Personally, I think The Fall of Gondolin and Beren and Luthien deserve there own tales. Since Christopher has finished with King Arthur, could he return to Middle-Earth again? I, like most of you I am sure, am always eager for Middle-Earth!

Elizabeth
Valinor

Feb 4 2014, 5:43am

Post #2 of 4 (128 views)
Shortcut
Personally, I'd love to see his Beowulf. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's translation has never been published or released. We do have several versions of the Sil tales, already.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2014, 2:03pm

Post #3 of 4 (100 views)
Shortcut
Unfinished business [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Arthur was incomplete. And most of the relevant material concerning the 'great tales' of ME has been published in the HoME. I'm not sure he could do anything with Gondolin. With Beren and Luthien, there are a few notes that could be added, including the Fountain of Tears.

I wonder what else there is still stashed away? I wouldn't mind a master compendium of The Complete Works and Writings of JRR Tolkien: with notes and drafts included.

The only major thing I've heard of, has been the unfinished Beowulf translation. It has been done before with Arthur, so we might get it!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

malickfan
Gondor

Feb 4 2014, 8:13pm

Post #4 of 4 (90 views)
Shortcut
I don't think we will be getting any more full length books on Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Purely because there doesn't seem to be the material to reconstruct the other Tales-the drafts in the HOME and UFT are often so muddled and contrary it would be a very hard job to put together a coherent narrative that was actually 'written' by Tolkien (The Children of Hurin being largely J.R.R's own words, assembled into a chronological draft). The Tolkien estate answered this very question a few years ago:

http://www.tolkienestate.com/faq/p_2/

''Are there any plans to produce similar editions of the other two « Great Tales » of JRR Tolkien's mythology ?
Sadly, neither The Fall of Gondolin nor Beren and Lúthien were ever developed extensively and sufficiently enough by J.R.R. Tolkien to publish them in similar form to The Children of Húrin. Even though - for instance - an illustrated edition of these tales might be possible, the existing texts have already been published, and would remain incomplete.''

That's not to say there isn't stuff still to be published-In the Lays of Beleriand Christopher Tolkien mentions a prose version of The Lay of Leithian (quickly abandoned sadly), whilst in their 'Lord of The Rings A Readers Companion' Hammond and Scull refer to a few unpublished sources (An alternative version of The Hunt for the Ring for example), the HOME and UFT don't contain all the different drafts by any means (compare the version of The Quest For Erebor in UFT, with the one in The Annotated Hobbit-they are rather different with lots of contrasting info) but it's hard to say whether slightly different versions of existing essays/stories or miscellaneous writings would really be of much interest to the average fan, or merit separate publishing.

There is of course the large amount of Linguistic Writings by Tolkien which are still being published (I don't know anything about them):

http://tolkiengateway.net/...inguistic_Fellowship

As well as numerous other wrtings not related to Middle Earth

http://tolkiengateway.net/...Unpublished_material

http://tolkiengateway.net/...of_J.R.R._Tolkien%22

You could always try getting hold of a copy of this though:

http://tolkiengateway.net/...The_Tale_of_Gondolin

If it's not in your Appendices, maybe it's in mine?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.