Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Return of the King: EE vs TE
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 8:33am

Post #1 of 28 (624 views)
Shortcut
Return of the King: EE vs TE Can't Post

I feel that this is the only Middle Earth film where people see the EE as inferior to the TE. Personally I prefer the EE but maybe that's because I haven't seen the TE in a long time.

Can people post here which they prefer and why, especially if you favour the TE. Very intrigued to know why :) Thank you all!

Magpie
Immortal

Jan 29 2014, 3:03pm

Post #2 of 28 (421 views)
Shortcut
It's not the only one [In reply to] Can't Post

I know quite a few people who prefer the TE versions of all three over the EE.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elutherian
Rohan

Jan 29 2014, 3:27pm

Post #3 of 28 (398 views)
Shortcut
I don't feel this way... [In reply to] Can't Post

... But I will say it's the only EE that has an addition I don't like in it.

Namely, the paths of the dead extension. Not all of it, just the part where Gimli turns into an outright clown and the part where the scene doesn't cut off when Aragorn says "What say you!?" which completely sucked the tension out of the moment.

I did enjoy Legolas' poem and the Corsairs of Umbar bit.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

FoFo64
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 4:45pm

Post #4 of 28 (404 views)
Shortcut
I have problems with the EE too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yet I am permanently conflicted about it, cause for as many scenes as I don't like there are an equal amount if not more added scenes that I absolutely love.

I don't like the Mouth of Sauron. I think it's a little too OTT in his design and as a result very distracting in that moment of the film. I also thought it was far more poignant for Sauron to respond to Aragorn's request "Let justice be done upon him!" to be met by Sauron opening the gate to an already amassed army lol. I always felt that was a far more powerful understated yet powerful reply to that request versus the Mouth of Sauron.

On the flip side, I love the "Voice of Saruman" chapter and wished they kept it in the TE, as it provides what I felt is a necessary conclusion to the Helm's Deep/Saruman arc. I also greatly Love the inclusion of the "House of Healing" which I felt was beautifully shot and musically composed.

I also dislike the extended Paths of the Dead scene not so much cause of Gimli's theatrics (I can forgive that) but because they rid the audience of the later surprise when the Black Ships do appear at Pelennor with Aragorn. Which is a similar problem in TTT EE when Faramir warns Frodo of Shelob. Which btw, never made sense to me...if Frodo was told by Faramir of a terror in the tunnels of Cirith Ungol how does it make sense that he's later surprised or shocked that Gollum took him there to face Shelob?? Hence, why that EE scene bothers me.

I own the EE on bluray and am thinking of eventually buying the theatrical on bluray too, just so that I can have the option of seeing the TE when I'm more in the mood for better tension setting moments like stated above ^. Overall the EE of all 3 movies are a mixed bag for me of loved and disliked additions. Unsure

'It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing...such a little thing...' Boromir; Fellowship of the Ring Film

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 29 2014, 5:09pm

Post #5 of 28 (390 views)
Shortcut
Never heard this before at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

Leave out the Witch-King doing a number on Gandalf's staff and it is perfect even with a bit of Paths od the Dead cheese. None of the theatrical versions come close to being as good as the extended editions of any Middle Earth film. And that is the correct answer, for any other that prefers the TE over the EE would be crazy. That is that.

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 6: Miscellaneous Folk)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=707574;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jan 29 2014, 5:15pm

Post #6 of 28 (405 views)
Shortcut
I consider it superior to the TE, but by far the worst of the LotR EEs [In reply to] Can't Post

For one reason (aside from some of the silliness of Paths of the Dead as some have already mentioned): the Gandalf/Witch-King duel. Having heard about the existence of the confrontation in the EE I was very excited....then I saw Gandalf get kicked around and cower on the floor. I felt like suing PJ for it in all honesty, and though I still love watching the film that scene still hacks me off big time, which is more than can be said for some of the made up scenes in The Hobbit.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Elskidor
Rohan

Jan 29 2014, 5:34pm

Post #7 of 28 (378 views)
Shortcut
it is the only scene I skip in all of movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

It really takes so much from Gandalf, and it is completely fabricated in an insulting way.

Tolkien Elimination Game (Round 6: Miscellaneous Folk)

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=707574;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2014, 6:24pm

Post #8 of 28 (362 views)
Shortcut
I just got the EE's last weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

So far I've only had time to watch the FOTR EE but I really liked it a lot. It added some character development and book moments that weren't in the TE. I can't even pick an extended or new scene that I like best because they were all really good IMO.

I think the TTT EE is the one I've heard/seen the least about so it'll be interesting to watch and see what I think. (probably this coming weekend)

I've heard some things about the ROTK EE and see a couple of clips of the scenes from it. I'll wait until I see it in it's entirety to make a judgment on it but I didn't like the clip of the Mouth of Sauron that I saw. It was a little creepy/icky for me. The same with the whole Saruman falling and being impaled thing (icky). The rest of that scene I was fine with.

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 29 2014, 6:59pm

Post #9 of 28 (369 views)
Shortcut
Personally, any shortcomings in the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

are more than paid for with that single, tiny shot of the White Tree budding.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Elutherian
Rohan

Jan 29 2014, 7:56pm

Post #10 of 28 (362 views)
Shortcut
I must be the only person who loved that scene... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Gandalf was weakened from days of battle and caught off guard.

That image of the Witch-King and Gandalf hearing the trumpets is more than worth having the scene in, IMO.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

cats16
Valinor

Jan 30 2014, 1:17am

Post #11 of 28 (336 views)
Shortcut
*raises hand* // [In reply to] Can't Post

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 30 2014, 2:31am

Post #12 of 28 (342 views)
Shortcut
EE for all [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember last time I watched the TE of LOTR trilogy, after the visits to the cinema. I don't think there has been such. I've watched only the EEs since they became available and I'm sorry they are not even longer. Frown

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 30 2014, 6:30am

Post #13 of 28 (310 views)
Shortcut
In a general sense, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the EE's have some wonderful moments of character development eg: Boromir/Faramir in TTT, but the TE's are generally better films in terms of their structure and pacing.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 30 2014, 6:32am

Post #14 of 28 (307 views)
Shortcut
So according to your criteria, [In reply to] Can't Post

there are a lot of crazy folk around these parts. That'd be right. Cool

drewster81
The Shire

Jan 30 2014, 2:59pm

Post #15 of 28 (304 views)
Shortcut
It's a bit of this, a bit of that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Putting in the Voice of Saruman is a great moment that exemplifies what's great about the EEs. Houses of Healing gives a nice concluding touch to Eowyn's extremely strong storyline from the third film. I also like Frodo and Sam's time in Mordor.

Unlike FOTR or TTT, this one just can't be the definitive version due to what I know a few people have already said:
1) Paths of the Dead gives the game away far too early.
2) Mouth of Sauron proves what Jackson said originally: there's no tension, because we know Frodo's alive.

Ultimately, it's an EE with great additions and poor additions. It's not a binary thing if it should all go or all stay, unlike FOTR or TTT, who have very few objectionable additions. It might be a case of PJ letting nostalgia creep in with finishing the trilogy.

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Feb 1 2014, 3:38pm

Post #16 of 28 (257 views)
Shortcut
Agreed - but different bits for different folk [In reply to] Can't Post

As a long time fan of the books, the lack of tension in the Paths or Mouth scenes was moot as I already knew who lived, who died, and that the Dead did indeed come to play. I liked seeing the Mouth brought to the screen and, even though it was not true to the books, the "this army" line with the dead and the Corsairs worked for me.

I didn't care for Gandalf cowering and I never could figure out the point with the skulls (why would the dead try to kill the party while they thought about the offer?). But then I have similar issues with several of PJ's interpretations in even the TE where he changes the flavor of the peoples and characters & the plus/minuses of the added bits are just a microcosm of the whole work.

Overall I prefer the EE's and not just that I can't get enough middle earth (though that is a factor) but the added bits tend to help flesh out the characters and their motivations. I don't even own the TEs because I would never watch them (gave away the copy of TTT that I did have).

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 8:28pm

Post #17 of 28 (223 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Be careful what you wish for. Peter Jackson said he wants to make a UE set of the films one day with even more footage. Lol.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 3 2014, 9:12pm

Post #18 of 28 (220 views)
Shortcut
Um not [In reply to] Can't Post

today's PJ for me. :( If it was *that* PJ from then, I'd welcome longer EEs.

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 4:09am

Post #19 of 28 (224 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty sure [In reply to] Can't Post

he said it before he started working on The Hobbit, if that's what you mean?

Misto
Lorien

Feb 4 2014, 1:13pm

Post #20 of 28 (210 views)
Shortcut
Main difference in RotK... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for me is how the EE handles Saruman, whereas in the TE he's just kind of forgotten about. Saru...who? So that's why I prefer the EE mostly.
I can't really comment on the difference TE-EE for the first two films, because I can't really remember the TE. It's extra bits and pieces (which I like), so watching the TE doesn'Ttmake much sense to me. With RotK, however, I felt the difference between both editions was too big to bypass one of them entirely. That's the only Middle-earth film I own both versions of... although, in all fairness, it's been a while since I last watched the TE.

Thranderz
Rohan

Feb 6 2014, 11:08pm

Post #21 of 28 (179 views)
Shortcut
Houses of healing [In reply to] Can't Post

Was incredible! Eomer screaming when see Eowen on the battlefield gets me every time. Karl Urban was fantastic! Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

FoFo64
Rivendell

Feb 7 2014, 2:13pm

Post #22 of 28 (163 views)
Shortcut
I also agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

That blood-curdling scream from Eomer, shook me to the core. It's a real shame most people would not have seen this brilliantly acted moment, because of its exclusion in the TE. Still, I'm glad to have it in the EE!

In Reply To
Was incredible! Eomer screaming when see Eowen on the battlefield gets me every time. Karl Urban was fantastic! Smile

'It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing...such a little thing...' Boromir; Fellowship of the Ring Film

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Feb 8 2014, 4:38am

Post #23 of 28 (157 views)
Shortcut
I only watch the EE versions. [In reply to] Can't Post

I find the added material rounds out the film.

RangerLady23
Lorien

Feb 8 2014, 8:34pm

Post #24 of 28 (178 views)
Shortcut
EE all the way [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the best scenes in the trilogy are in the RotK EE plus the battle scenes in the Theatrical are way too close up feeling. I don't watch anything but the EE's of all three movies. Love' em

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2014, 4:33pm

Post #25 of 28 (84 views)
Shortcut
I still prefer the RotK EE, but [In reply to] Can't Post

it is the only one i have issues with. The Witch King breaking Gandalf's staff is unforgivable. Aragorn beheading the Mouth of Sauron the way he does leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And i can't stand Peter Jackson's cameo (along with a few other notable crew members) as a captain of the Corsair-- it's the worst thing in the three films for me. He might as well be waving and smiling at the camera (which he almost does at the beginning of DoS).

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.