Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 3 2014, 11:47am

Post #301 of 402 (28659 views)
Shortcut
     300 posts of appreciating Thranduil! [In reply to]  

Do we get a special prize for that? Or can we have the thread nailed to the front page?! WinkCool

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 12:01pm

Post #302 of 402 (28647 views)
Shortcut
     But I am HOPELESS when confronted with favourite actors... [In reply to]  

Thrandruiliel, you make me quite faint as I consider that (im)possibility! However, I would let everyone down, I know it - because in the presence of stars, I become this human guppy. I am just too starstruck - all rational thought and sensible discourse and intelligent conversation that will impress them with my wit - all leaves my head, and I just want to blurt out "I LOVE you!"

Example - here in Melbourne where I now work (I travel to NZ twice a year to hang with family), I work at a big radio station, and around the time that 'Lost' was on TV, Dom Monaghan and Evie Lilley were doing the promotional rounds. I was not even aware of this until the day (uncannily, I was browsing TORn at the time when I should have been working) I became aware of a commotion going on in the foyer. I walked out, and there was Dom in our foyer, posing for a photo with a number of female staff.
It was so unexpected - I was so stunned, I couldn't move, I couldn't speak, I couldn't even rush forward and get in the photo. I just stood there with my mouth open. Then his PR ushered him out of the building. A fellow staff member found me quietly fangirling in the kitchen. All I could say was "OMG... OMG".

Wow, though, fancy if your friend Jo did get the part! Yeah... it might have meant choosing an older looking actor for Thranduil (like the way Elrond is timeless yet older looking) in order to make that work.

I have another moment! I was once *cough* in a hotel room with Sandro Kopp (dashing elf/ Narnia centaur extra) wearing a bathrobe and posing for a self-portrait. (it was nowhere near as saucy as it sounds) Thankfully I wasn't a total gibbering mess on this occasion.

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Feb 3 2014, 12:08pm)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 12:07pm

Post #303 of 402 (28611 views)
Shortcut
     302 posts! [In reply to]  

*raises glass of wine to our prolific appreciation*

Sticky us - or long live our bookmarks!

(off to bed now)

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 3 2014, 12:17pm

Post #304 of 402 (28589 views)
Shortcut
     Haha, I'm sure you're not alone! [In reply to]  

It sounds like you're quite the star-magnet, Kerewyn! I myself am more of a repellant, having met very few actors/famous people, so I can't say how I'd react. I would probably become very tongue-tied.

Now you mention it, had Jo been cast and they then had to cast an older actor to play Thranduil, we would have missed out on Lee's performance. So some things are meant to be! Cool

Have to say I'm curious as to what you were doing in that hotel room! Wink

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 3 2014, 12:20pm

Post #305 of 402 (28630 views)
Shortcut
     Goodnight [In reply to]  

...Kerewyn - may your dreams be sweet and Thranduil-filled! Cool

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 3 2014, 1:28pm

Post #306 of 402 (28610 views)
Shortcut
     Nothing but the best wine for Thranduil's Halls! [In reply to]  

Dorwinion wine...a staple in lots of LOTR fan fiction. LOL.
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Dorwinion

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 3 2014, 1:33pm

Post #307 of 402 (28619 views)
Shortcut
     Wine... [In reply to]  

I love that he's into wine, too! Wine is an essential food group. Wink I'm partial to Bordeaux and NZ Sauv Blanc. I think the strong wine those two were enjoying was Dorwinion wine but I'm not sure where it comes from. Anyone? ETA: Ah, elf-lady posted a link. (Thanks!)

What a chance meeting! I predict he was touched someone actually recognized him. I hope I'd recognize him if I saw him as he was on screen long enough. He says something to Legolas like "What about Tauriel?" followed by something along the lines of her leaving with her bow and blade, right?

Perhaps you'll run into him again and you can ask him that list of questions. Keep scoring invites to those parties! It sounds like the Aussie/NZ acting world is a small, tight-knit community.

Speaking of random elves, I also love the "not an elf maiden" elf from Rivendell:

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Feb 3 2014, 1:38pm)

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 3 2014, 1:56pm

Post #308 of 402 (28610 views)
Shortcut
     I love merlot and cabs [In reply to]  

...but don't like anything oaked (like chardonnay).

In Reply To
I love that he's into wine, too! Wine is an essential food group. Wink I'm partial to Bordeaux and NZ Sauv Blanc. I think the strong wine those two were enjoying was Dorwinion wine but I'm not sure where it comes from. Anyone? ETA: Ah, elf-lady posted a link. (Thanks!)

What a chance meeting! I predict he was touched someone actually recognized him. I hope I'd recognize him if I saw him as he was on screen long enough. He says something to Legolas like "What about Tauriel?" followed by something along the lines of her leaving with her bow and blade, right?

Perhaps you'll run into him again and you can ask him that list of questions. Keep scoring invites to those parties! It sounds like the Aussie/NZ acting world is a small, tight-knit community.

Speaking of random elves, I also love the "not an elf maiden" elf from Rivendell:

Yeah, he's a looker as well. What cheekbones!

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 3 2014, 2:43pm

Post #309 of 402 (28593 views)
Shortcut
     This thread has been mentioned in the Weekly Roundup! [In reply to]  

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/02/03/86685-torn-message-boards-weekly-roundup-february-2-2014/

Way to go Thranduil's Thralls!Heart

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 3 2014, 3:34pm

Post #310 of 402 (28582 views)
Shortcut
     Woot! [In reply to]  

We made the news!

In Reply To
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/02/03/86685-torn-message-boards-weekly-roundup-february-2-2014/

Way to go Thranduil's Thralls!Heart

MyPrecioussss
Bree

Feb 3 2014, 5:12pm

Post #311 of 402 (28646 views)
Shortcut
     Lots of misconceptions about shipping and fanfiction in this thread [In reply to]  

I've been in fandom for about 15 years now, and I've been writing fanfiction for close to a decade. I'll be the first to say that in all that time in fandom, I've seen plenty of shipping and fanfiction that I personally found ludicrous and/or repulsive, and I also agree that real-person shipping crosses a line that shouldn't be touched with a ten-foot pole.

But that said, I always find it sad when I see people--especially other fans--turning up their noses at fanfic and other fan creations. I think there are two very important things to remember when it comes to fanfic:

1. It's all done out of love for the fictional universe and the characters. Yes, even the most godawful self-insert "Mary Sue" fic (I could go on a tangent here about how the whole Mary Sue witch hunt is pretty misogynistic and problematic in and of itself, but that would be a whole other post, so I'll refrain). And yes, even the most ridiculous, out of character shipping or slash fanfic. The people who write those fics don't do it because they're trying to disrespect the characters or the author of the original work. They do it because they love the characters and want to explore avenues that weren't there in the original canon. You or I may find their particular explorations bizarre or downright distasteful, but 99.9% of the time they're still done out of a genuine love for and interest in the original canon.

Moreover, lumping in ALL shipping and fanfic with the "bad apples," so to speak, is pretty unfair. Yes, there's a lot of crappy, poorly written fanfiction out there, but you know what? There's a lot of really poorly written original fiction out there, too. (Just look at Twilight.) Fanfic is like anything else: sometimes you have to wade through a lot of mediocre stuff before you find the gems. And yes, there are gems. Remember how I said shippers and fanfic writers do so out of a love for the canon and characters? There are countless fic writers who spend HOURS not just writing, but researching and discussing and poring over the characters and their personalities, relationships and motivations, figuring out what makes them tick. To imply fanfic is nothing but the work of perverts and giggly 13-year-olds is doing a disservice to all the talented writers out there who devote an immense amount of time to making sure their work is as polished, thoughtful, and in-character as it can be.

2. Whenever fanfic detractors point to authors like GRRM who virulently hate fanfic, one really important fact tends to get overlooked: once an artist, writer, filmmaker, etc releases their work out into the world, they no longer have 100% control over that work and how it's perceived. I'm not talking about ownership and copyright issues, I'm talking about how a work and its characters are interpreted. Once the work is published and people start to consume it, those people are going to form their own ideas and interpretations of the work, whether the author likes it or not. The author loses the right to say, "No, you're interpreting that WRONG! This is how I meant it!" I mean, they can try saying that until they're blue in the face, but that doesn't mean they'll succeed. And quite honestly, I think anyone who can't understand or accept that fact shouldn't be a writer. Because it's really part of the beauty of writing (or art, or filmmaking, or whatever): you release it into the world, and then other people get to make of it what they will. And frankly, if everyone just had all the same interpretations of art and literature and such, even if they were the official, creator-endorsed interpretations, it would be a pretty boring world.

So all that to say...if you don't like fanfic, you're entitled to your opinion, but just try to keep in mind that, like so many other things, it has plenty of good to offset its not-so-good parts.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 3 2014, 6:39pm

Post #312 of 402 (28564 views)
Shortcut
     How about some Thranduil? ;-) [In reply to]  

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 3 2014, 7:10pm

Post #313 of 402 (28543 views)
Shortcut
     Haha [In reply to]  

In Reply To

So Thranduil is our LIGWIT - Legolas Is Great, Who Is That?! Cool

Love it!! Cool

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Feb 3 2014, 9:18pm

Post #314 of 402 (28532 views)
Shortcut
     One can never have enough postings regarding Lee Pace/Thranduil [In reply to]  

I do hope that in the EE we get more views of the halls to his Woodland Realm and perhaps some mention of the loss of his father at the Battle of the Last Alliance...Smile

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Feb 3 2014, 9:30pm

Post #315 of 402 (28527 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil deserves nothing better than [In reply to]  

some Brunello di Montalcino, believe me I live exactly at two hours' distance from where they make itCoolCoolCool

Unfortunately I am never invited to parties with cool New Zealand actorsUnsure

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 3 2014, 9:31pm

Post #316 of 402 (28534 views)
Shortcut
     Very true [In reply to]  

I do agree. It's not everyone's cuppa but personally I do enjoy a well written fic that has canonical character development that makes sense. I especially enjoy reading "what could have been" or "what might be occurring just beyond your sight". Smile

In Reply To
So all that to say...if you don't like fanfic, you're entitled to your opinion, but just try to keep in mind that, like so many other things, it has plenty of good to offset its not-so-good parts.

Thyia
Bree

Feb 4 2014, 1:28am

Post #317 of 402 (28503 views)
Shortcut
     Well said... [In reply to]  

I've read a good number of absolutely brilliant fanfics over the years in multiple fandoms, and have written my own as well (not for a long time, and not in this fandom as yet). As in all writing, there is a lot of terrible stuff out there, but when you come across a gem that makes you smile, laugh or think - it can be well worth it. Interestingly, Corey Olsen (The Tolkien Professor) has some very interesting thoughts on the nature of fan fiction on one of his latest Riddles in the Dark podcasts. I'll see if I can find some time to transcribe some of it.

To bring this back to Thranduil, I haven't actually read very many fanfics which do him justice. I think partially because he's quite enigmatic in the book, and there just isn't enough of him in the film. If anyone has fic recs featuring a great Thranduil, please PM me some links. I'd love to read them (het, slash or gen).

On a completely other tangent which I'm finding interesting... my husband doesn't appreciate Thranduil in the film at all, going so far as to say he has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and I cannot seem to convince him otherwise. He has not read the book, which truly is even stranger since he's read both LoTR and the Sil. He promises he will read it before TABA comes out though.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2014, 3:45am

Post #318 of 402 (28475 views)
Shortcut
     So...much...fangirling [In reply to]  

I love it!Heart

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2014, 4:07am

Post #319 of 402 (28486 views)
Shortcut
     Shy, introverted Thralls [In reply to]  

Oh how familiar I am with that feeling of kicking myself for not talking to someone I really wanted to talk to because I was too shy. Hey, you did better than I would have. I'm getting better at talking to regular people but for some reason just the thought of talking to someone "famous" or even "famous adjacent" makes my brain freeze up. I probably could have carried on a light conversation with the "keeper of the keys" but not much more. (btw, kudos to you for recognizing him. You probably made his day!Cool) I certainly wouldn't have been able to come out of my shell enough to pin the poor unsuspecting man down and quiz him.

I can't even imagine what I would do if I ran into Lee Pace himself. I've got such a horrible crush on him by this time I don't think I could even look him in the eye much less breathe or talk! Then if he smiled at me with that gorgeous, hunky, sweet, smile of his, I'd probably pass out entirely! Why does shyness/introversion have to be so frustrating?! And why does Lee Pace have to be so dang cute that I wouldn't even be able to look at him much less talk to him? Gaaaa!

*deep breath* Sorry. I just had to get that out of my system.Crazy

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

MistyMountain
Lorien

Feb 4 2014, 4:51am

Post #320 of 402 (28480 views)
Shortcut
     an older introvert [In reply to]  

I have always considered myself an introvert yet I believe I would not behave any differently around a famous person than around "regular" people. Perhaps it is because I am older now and most of the stars we have been discussing are younger than me therefore I would feel no reason to be abashed amongst these "whippersnappers". I may not feel as confident meeting my elders, such as Sir Ian or PJ (is he my elder? I turned 50 last year). Or perhaps it is because I am a New Yorker and we are renown for being unruffled around the famous folks. Perhaps because I've already met a famous person (Glenn Close) and had a lovely time chatting at the zoo during a tour with her family. Or maybe I am just talking big and I would indeed become a puddle if RA were to appear at my side during a trip on the NYC subway (my best friend, a BIG Sting fan, had that exact thing happen to her and she just froze as he stood next to her on the train).
I would relish the chance to test my mettle -- bring 'em on!

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 6:16am

Post #321 of 402 (28474 views)
Shortcut
     Sweet dreams [In reply to]  

Oh they were, Thranduiliel, they were.

(Really, they were. Can't recall anything that happened, just... his presence. Nice.)

In Reply To
...Kerewyn - may your dreams be sweet and Thranduil-filled! Cool

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 6:28am

Post #322 of 402 (28485 views)
Shortcut
     "The wine of Dorwinion brings deep and pleasant dreams." [In reply to]  

Ah yes! After getting offline last night, I decided I really should dip into the book itself, and there was the answer.

My cheap Cab Save also brought pleasant dreams - see my post above.
I shall nickname this wine Dorwinion from now on.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 10:50am

Post #323 of 402 (28477 views)
Shortcut
     On fanfiction...my experience [In reply to]  

I agree with much of what My Precious says, and I can also fully understand that it's not for everyone.

I sometimes trawl through fanfiction sites looking for the good stuff, and when I find it, it can be really inspiring. I think what really gets me, as MP says, is the love of the characters shining through. I have even read some FF that I'd describe as quite badly written, but which still sticks in my mind for the spirit and passion that comes shining through. Back when I joined TORn, some users posted links to their fave FFs and I found that following recommendations was good - I read some hobbit FF that I really liked, from authors who were prolific and had quite a following.

I have written a little myself, but have been too shy to share it. I even half-submitted a piece to fanfiction.net but didn't complete the submission - my excuse being i could not think of an adequate title. (the obvious title stares me down now, years later, and taunts me with my shyness).

S'funny, I realise I have written fanfiction all my life, very privately for my own enjoyment. When I was a kid, it was The Wombles, Gilligan's Island, Batman the TV show (I loved Catwoman), and later, Hitchhiker's Guide. I would write stories or draw cartoons with these characters and share them only with my appreciative little sister. But they were our secret. I feared being laughed at or teased or scorned, and that has persisted into adulthood, where I seem to have trouble even posting them anonymously online. And so, I admire people who do, who are willing and unafraid to share their fan passion with other likeminded fans who will appreciate their work.

As a wannabe writer who regularly takes part in Nanwrimo, it is not always easy to realise and invent your own characters when you love love love these amazing already existing ones.

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 4 2014, 11:09am

Post #324 of 402 (28466 views)
Shortcut
     On introversion and beauty [In reply to]  

I can't even imagine what I would do if I ran into Lee Pace himself. I've got such a horrible crush on him by this time I don't think I could even look him in the eye much less breathe or talk! Then if he smiled at me with that gorgeous, hunky, sweet, smile of his, I'd probably pass out entirely! Why does shyness/introversion have to be so frustrating?! And why does Lee Pace have to be so dang cute that I wouldn't even be able to look at him much less talk to him? Gaaaa!

It is quite a wonderful thing, I think, to be suddenly 'arrested', taken out of oneself, by a sudden and astonishing landscape that you see when you round a corner. Or the iridescant blue of a flower by the roadside, or the pattern of long grass rippling in the wind, or the contrast of bright green moss against bright red brick. You forget where you're at, for the moment, and move into this headspace, where the logical left brain is superceded by our right brain (if my knowledge of this serves me correctly). This particularly happens for creative people I think, or types who appreciate art. (eg Thralls)

I'm sure the same can happen when encountering human beauty, and physically rendering one speechless as the right brain takes over.

Or the hormones.

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Feb 4 2014, 11:10am)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 4 2014, 11:12am

Post #325 of 402 (28489 views)
Shortcut
     And back to Thranduil, the topic of this thread.... [In reply to]  

I've often wondered what those who didn't read the book thought of Thranduil. Most of us have read Tolkien and are familiar with Thranduil's background, as are most of my friends.

I'm trying to imagine how he would come across if I knew nothing about the character except what I see on screen--especially without the benefit of the AUJ EE.

I know I'd still find him mesmerizing, and I believe I'd still see the complexity of his character. (That's due to Pace's superb acting.) But had we seen him through Bilbo's eyes, I think that would have helped temper some of the "he's a jerk" comments from those unfamiliar with the character (canon). Sadly, the conversation he had with Tauriel about the spiders / Legolas thinking she fought well / Legolas being fond of her and how he won't sanction the match turned off most of my friends. Everyone, myself included, was like: "Your kingdom is under attack--don't you have more important things to discuss and worry about!?" Shocked

What do you guys think?

Some repeat postings but I need my fix before I go to work:

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Feb 4 2014, 11:19am)

First page Previous page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.