Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Feb 2 2014, 5:42pm

Post #276 of 402 (27335 views)
Shortcut
     thanks for all your [In reply to]  

..lovely comments on the pictures Smile make's the artist happy =) I have so many ideas in my mind for fanart but as much as I love to do those things, they are rather time-consuming (and the fact that I am really neat-picking does not help either)

The last one from this weekend, the sleepless malice thing hit me so hard in cinema. I was "gosh, omg, they use the same words"

And I do agree with you, RG, I also want a lot more of Bilbo sneaking the halls, magic, stunned expressions - I mean.. Bilbo LOVES elves.. I was rather disappointed whilst I watched DoS that it was soo short :/ Dwarves locked up, dwarves are out of the cells again *sigh*

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 2 2014, 5:42pm

Post #277 of 402 (27318 views)
Shortcut
     I hope we see his reaction in the EE [In reply to]  

After Thranduil and Thorin's charged confrontation, which was a very compelling scene, I was disappointed that we didn't see Thranduil's reaction to the dwarves' escape. Could they find room in the EE for this, if it was even filmed? I really hope so!

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 2 2014, 5:50pm

Post #278 of 402 (27310 views)
Shortcut
     Oh, how gorgeous! [In reply to]  

Well spotted - I knew all Legolas' lines at one point and I never picked that up before. He's his daddy's son! Lovely artwork, thank you for sharing! Cool

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Feb 2 2014, 6:33pm

Post #279 of 402 (27294 views)
Shortcut
     Excellent graphics [In reply to]  

And I never would have caught that crossover if you hadn't pointed it out. It has me grinning like an idiot. Laugh

Legolas/Gimli artwork courtesy of Brianna

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 2 2014, 6:42pm

Post #280 of 402 (27309 views)
Shortcut
     Calling All Thralls! [In reply to]  

Thranduil needs our help!
If you start at page one, you can see how the numbers changed over the course of a week or so... But Haldir is hotter than Thranduil? HUH? And Frodo is tied with Thranduil?? Someone out there needs glasses. LOL

http://www.imdb.com/...d/nest/225090297?p=7

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Feb 2 2014, 6:44pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2014, 9:09pm

Post #281 of 402 (27283 views)
Shortcut
     I don't see why not [In reply to]  

We're getting quite an EE wish list going, aren't we? But I say, if I can watch Gone with the Wind in one sitting then I can handle any length the DOS EE ends up being. Bring it on, PJ! Smile

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2014, 9:19pm

Post #282 of 402 (27271 views)
Shortcut
     Whoa, that's awesome! [In reply to]  

I totally did not make the connection that they use the same words! Cool! Like father like son, I guess.

Very nice artwork. I wish I could figure out how to do that kind of thing. You're very talented!

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 2 2014, 10:28pm

Post #283 of 402 (27277 views)
Shortcut
     A Sleepness Malice [In reply to]  

OMG I didn't make the connection either! Where's my head? I need to see DoS again but it's no longer playing in the cinema near me. *cries*

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Feb 2 2014, 11:26pm

Post #284 of 402 (27247 views)
Shortcut
     I sent you a link... [In reply to]  

To the scene in question (DoS). Wink

In Reply To
OMG I didn't make the connection either! Where's my head? I need to see DoS again but it's no longer playing in the cinema near me. *cries*

Wink

elf-lady
Rivendell

Feb 3 2014, 1:18am

Post #285 of 402 (27261 views)
Shortcut
     Thank you! [In reply to]  

*warning fangirling ahead* Thranduil is just the hottest, most badass elf there is, isn't he? What a combo, his physicality, his seductive voice, that hair, his way with clothes and the absolutely gobsmacking gorgeousness that has knocked me out for the night. *thud*

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 3 2014, 2:19am

Post #286 of 402 (27233 views)
Shortcut
     What a wonderful graphic! [In reply to]  

and use of the phrases, especially with them facing each other. It really shows a similarity too. Cool

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Nimloth
Lorien

Feb 3 2014, 3:47am

Post #287 of 402 (27234 views)
Shortcut
     Absolutely agree [In reply to]  

In Reply To
*warning fangirling ahead* Thranduil is just the hottest, most badass elf there is, isn't he? What a combo, his physicality, his seductive voice, that hair, his way with clothes and the absolutely gobsmacking gorgeousness that has knocked me out for the night. *thud*

I'm a Legolas fangirl of old, but Thranduil has just blown him out of the water for me. The Elven King has been the character I most anticipated in The Hobbit and he is far better than I hoped. Just breathtaking. Heart I just wish he had been in DOS more than he was, in fact almost every scene would have done for me. Laugh I'm just hoping the EE expands his part and of course we still have BotFA to enjoy yet. Sly

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 3 2014, 9:41am

Post #288 of 402 (27212 views)
Shortcut
     Amen to that! [In reply to]  

In Reply To

I really couldn't have put it better myself! Cool

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 3 2014, 9:49am

Post #289 of 402 (27219 views)
Shortcut
     Totally agree Nimloth [In reply to]  

In Reply To

I'm a Legolas fangirl of old, but Thranduil has just blown him out of the water for me. The Elven King has been the character I most anticipated in The Hobbit and he is far better than I hoped. Just breathtaking. Heart I just wish he had been in DOS more than he was, in fact almost every scene would have done for me. Laugh I'm just hoping the EE expands his part and of course we still have BotFA to enjoy yet. Sly

I was feeling really excited about seeing Legolas again in the Hobbit movies....then I encountered Thranduil, who is indeed breathtaking. He just oozes charisma from every elven pore. It was hearing his voice in the trailer - I can remember thinking "Who is That?!" Sorry Legolas - time to move over for your old man!

So Thranduil is our LIGWIT - Legolas Is Great, Who Is That?! Cool

Fionniel
The Shire

Feb 3 2014, 9:57am

Post #290 of 402 (27214 views)
Shortcut
     Bilbo in Thranduil's Halls. [In reply to]  

So true Rowan G. I would love to see at least half to an hour of scenes added back for the EE and most of that should be added to the first half of the film which, as everyone has noted, was so truncated.Wow ! If Bilbo had witnessed that highly charged confrontation between Thranduil and Thorin I think he would have been shaking in his boots, in awe of them both!

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 10:34am

Post #291 of 402 (27217 views)
Shortcut
     Awww. [In reply to]  

In Reply To

So in conclusion, I'll have no problem believing Thranduil's kindness towards the Lake-towners and Bilbo as genuine in TABA. Imagine you haven't left your home for many years and when you do, you're confronted with the horrors of a dragon attack and the suffering of many innocents. Imagine the inner turmoil that would cause and how it would impact you--the memories it would invoke. But then you witness such selflessness and kindness from an unlikely creature. That's essentially what happens to Thranduil. Heart

Thanks so much RG - what you've written here has lifted me out of my prolonged work funk (I've had to take work home which has been terribly dreary). I feel like I want to print this out and carry around with me to read during tedious little RL moments, to remind me of the beauty in this story, and in our hobbit, and in our favourite Elven king. *heart swells*

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 10:37am

Post #292 of 402 (27202 views)
Shortcut
     Elf lady, you said it! [In reply to]  

Now that you've put that fangirling moment into words... I hear ya, sister!

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 10:41am

Post #293 of 402 (27222 views)
Shortcut
     Just...wow [In reply to]  

... on that Sleepless Malice moment, CoF!

Also, your previous lot of gorgeous photoshopping - is that the trailer scene where Thranduil says "I offer you my help." ?
That almost undid me, when I first saw the trailer on an Imax screen. So... much ... huge screen gorgeousness.

I think Elf Lady has put me in fangirling mode. I'd better think of something serious to say.

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 3 2014, 10:44am

Post #294 of 402 (27204 views)
Shortcut
     Do you need to be serious on this thread?! [In reply to]  

After all, its purpose is to appreciate Thranduil and you're doing a great job of that! WinkCool

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 11:02am

Post #295 of 402 (27246 views)
Shortcut
     Wine and errant staff [In reply to]  

(excuse my mass posting, all. At the moment I've only got like one hour of spare time each day, and this is it!)

I like that Thranduil is into fine wine. While I write, I am currently sipping a rather cheap but pleasant Australian Cab Sav - I don't think it would make the grade at the king's table however.
So I was wondering where he might get his wine from. Where would the best wine regions of Middle Earth be? Possibly the lands down south? Would the Shire produce some wines even, that might interest his palate?

Speaking of wine, and speaking of errant elven staff who like to sneakily sample it to their own detriment.... and, apart from the book canon, this initially seemed so odd to me. Drunken snoring elves - how uncouth! Isn't that more a sort of man or hobbit behaviour? Even elves have their vices and bad behaviour and this makes them more "human" to me. I like.

But I digress, because I meant to tell this story: I actually met one of Thranduil's staff !

I was at a New Year's Eve party in Auckland, when a guy introduced himself to the group I was in. In typical fashion, someone asked "So what do you do?"
"I'm an actor" said this guy. "Oh, what have you acted in?"
"Actually, I played an elf in The Hobbit. I had a really small speaking role."

I looked at him and immediately picked it. "You're the Keeper of the Keys!" He looked impressed - he probably has most people say "So which one were you then?"
He told me he had to study Elvish for two weeks in order to exchange that one line with Legolas at the gate.

I am a little shy in social situations so I didn't want to badger him any further. But in hindsight, I am kicking myself. I should have pinned him down and quizzed him endlessly.
Did he meet Lee on set? Did they do any scenes together for the EE or TABA? Did he study Elvish alongside Lee? What was he like? What was it like? Tell me everything!!!

*pours another glass of Cab Sav, ponders on the nature of introversion*

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Feb 3 2014, 11:03am)

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Feb 3 2014, 11:09am

Post #296 of 402 (27203 views)
Shortcut
     blushing [In reply to]  

Girls (and guys - if we have any in this thread xD) , many thanks for the nice comments on the graphics and nice that i could "enlighten" you :x .. but really stop it, you make me blush Blush

I have these "ooh I#ve heard that before" moments so often in the cinema, it was the same with the goblin kings "You know of whom I speak" ... bling .. Galadriel was in my head

and use of the phrases, especially with them facing each other. It really shows a similarity too.

I wanted to have them facing each other, I have to check when I'm back home if the thranduil pic was like that or if I flipped it over .. I also love the opposite colors. The warm red and the cold blue, they were already in that shades but i adjusted the color.. aya, lol .. neat-picking.

is that the trailer scene where Thranduil says "I offer you my help."

Aye, the black/white & color photo is the "I offer you my help"-pic from the trailer .. I think I have watched this scene a 1000 times (at least) by now. I simply love it .. aww.. I already upgraded my data-volume on the mobile that i can enjoy the things on youtube. Weird, really

@Eruvandi
the sleepless malice pic is pretty simple to make (and I think one could also do it with freeware programs like gimp/irfan-view), if anybody would be interested in I could do a little tutorial with screencaps.

and no, we don't have to be too serious in here, i think that's why we have the drool-thread, right? xD

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 3 2014, 11:15am

Post #297 of 402 (27202 views)
Shortcut
     Wow that's amazing! [In reply to]  

I think I would have been lost for words at that moment too. I always think of things I wish I'd said when I've left a conversation! You'll have to keep a list of questions with you just in case you happen to bump into another staff member on your travels! Wink

I suppose Thranduil should have excellent taste in wine by now - he must have tried almost all of the wines in ME!

Yes, the drunken Elves seemed strange at first, when thinking about Legolas' 'slight tingle' in his fingers in ROTK during the drinking game with Gimli. I suppose Elven wine is more potent, and they had probably drunk a considerable amount during their celebration.

Although I was thinking - how often do you have prisoners?! Surely Thranduil isn't running a jail! I would have thought that because of the probable rare occurrence of having prisoners, at least the on-duty guards, even though it was a feast/celebration night, would have remained sober! But then, of course, if that was the case, the dwarves would still be in there! Cool

I like the idea of Thranduil confiscating his errant staff's wine supply after they let the dwarves escape!

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 11:27am

Post #298 of 402 (27220 views)
Shortcut
     Oh and *cough*, another name-drop moment [In reply to]  

The party was at Neil Finn's house!

Not where Neil actually lives, but a house owned by him.
It's currently rented by his studio engineer at Roundhouse Studios, and this dude was hosting the party.
I am pretty sure it's the guy who is in the AUJ EE extra about the music, driving the mixing desk while Neil Finn records Misty Mountains.

It's all "six degrees of..." round these here parts :)

( LOL - NZ is so small, I have several little six degrees examples. Eg. my best friend used to date Johnny "Hama" Leigh... I used to write radio ads that were voiced by David "Butterbur" Weatherley... and - get this - for three months, we lived next door to Celeborn. Also met Mark Hadlow once at a product launch - he is every bit the hoot he is on the EE extras)

Thranduiliel
Bree

Feb 3 2014, 11:30am

Post #299 of 402 (27180 views)
Shortcut
     Woah...I'll just pick up those names for you! [In reply to]  

Right Kerewyn, you now have no excuse for not carrying round a list of questions with you. The way you're going, you're destined to meet the Elvenking himself! Better be prepared! Cool

Ooh, just thought of my own (which is nowhere near as impressive as yours!) but my brother's best friend, who is also a family friend, had several auditions for the part of Legolas in LOTR. It came down to him and Orlando Bloom, and Orlando obviously succeeded. Our friend is 10 years older than OB, and much as I love our friend, Orlando is also prettier! I think if Jo had succeeded, it would have made scenes with Thranduil awkward. Although he's aged well, he's now aged 47, so a great deal of CGI work would have been needed! Cool He would probably have made a better Dwarf for the Hobbit! Still, I often wonder what could have been. I certainly would have visited NZ. And had he succeeded and been called back for the Hobbit, he would have worked with Lee...ok need to lie down now!

(This post was edited by Thranduiliel on Feb 3 2014, 11:43am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 11:40am

Post #300 of 402 (27206 views)
Shortcut
     Those "ooh I've heard that before moments" [In reply to]  

Ah, I wish I had more of those!
Not a Thrandy moment, but I noticed that in 'Riddles in the Dark' when Gollum says "up up up it goes".... much as he does on ROTK when describing the winding stairs.

Otherwise, I am more prone to "where have I seen that actor before" moments. It can really bug me - in a good way - when watching movies, when I see a semi-familiar face who I can't quite pick by name.

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Feb 3 2014, 11:41am)

First page Previous page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.