Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 30 2014, 10:00pm

Post #226 of 402 (30182 views)
Shortcut
     Ahem [In reply to]  

Can I just mention that I love the female elven warriors in Mirkwood? We only see flashes of them in the movie, but they're glorious! Oh yeah! Mirkwood elves certainly are the best and led by the coolest King Sly

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 31 2014, 1:58am

Post #227 of 402 (30173 views)
Shortcut
     Love their armor... [In reply to]  

And here's some more Thranduil... Heart

(I WISH we could sticky this thread!!)

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 31 2014, 2:03am)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 31 2014, 2:03am

Post #228 of 402 (30169 views)
Shortcut
     And one more.... [In reply to]  

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 31 2014, 2:19am

Post #229 of 402 (30193 views)
Shortcut
     I'll tell you why. [In reply to]  

**warning: rant ahead**

I understand the argument you make, and fully expected someone to post it here. Inadvertently is one thing (still not great) but I still give no one a pass for deliberately 'outing' another, no matter how they try to reason and excuse it away. This isn't an ideal world, but we still have to live in it. And so do those who for reasons of their own have not chosen to be 'out'...yet. I've seen the devastation that having that choice ripped from their hands before they were ready can cause. They might not be moving as fast as Some People (not speaking of Sir Ian or anyone here) would like, but they might be too early in the process of gently and gradually preparing the people that they know will have the toughest time dealing with this revelation...and they might not be quite emotionally/psychologically prepared to fully admit it to themselves or aren't quite sure what they are yet.

Does anyone else really have the right to make their lives more difficult -- no matter how just they think or claim the cause is -- by not letting them choose the time, place, and manner in which they 'come out'? Should the cause come before (and possibly at the expense of) the individual? Because I sure as heck don't think so. It messes some people up even worse than when they were just trying to come to terms with it on their own. That's why I get incensed. I hate it!

But I hate all such rumors and meddling in the lives of others. [I've had my own budding relationships sabotaged too many times by people who made assumptions about the wrong friend with no evidence to go on or who projected their own taste onto me and took action, and I'm straight!] Gay, straight, or in between, who we're interested in/attracted to/in love with or dating is nobody's %@#^ business, and isn't 'fact' until it's officially revealed! [I'd prefer to actually hear the proposal before anyone helps plan my elopement behind my back, thanks! And it would be nice if they confirmed with me that I'm actually dating that guy before speeding things up for me. I wish I were joking, but there's more where that came from...] Yeah, I'm not a fan of 'shipping, fictional (except a quick joke) or real world. I hate even the term, but that's just my 'hot button'. I've seen the harm in it.

I agree that it shouldn't be such a big deal, and life should just go on. I just needed to get off my chest why I get so upset. I'm protective by nature, and I can't stand seeing anyone's pain made worse by someone else making decisions for them. I know I claim part-time curmudgeonry and Sherlockian traits, but I really do care about people. I think most of us really do want what's best for others, we just don't always agree on what that is or how to achieve it.

**End rant**
And now, back to our regularly scheduled Thranduil swoon session!

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2014, 3:36am

Post #230 of 402 (30155 views)
Shortcut
     That was quite the eloquent rant [In reply to]  

I agree! No one should be pressured to make a decision they're not ready to make, nor should people try to meddle in the business of others or make unfounded assumptions or start rumors about others. I wish everyone would just be allowed to have some privacy already.

To lighten the mood a bit and get back on the topic of Thranduil, maybe this picture will help us all have a good laugh. It just strikes me as funny for some reason. Tongue

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 31 2014, 5:56am

Post #231 of 402 (30140 views)
Shortcut
     Thank YOU, RG [In reply to]  

...for that particular image. That has made my afternoon! *melts*

We "hot desk" in my workplace, which means turning up to a different free desk each day with my laptop. Which means I can't decorate my space.
(though I am considering putting a Thrandy pic inside my locker door, high school style)

Yesterday I really wished I could browse all these pics in private., but was in a busy 'avenue' at work with people constantly walking up behind me - and I am very private about my passions because I don't like being teased. So today I chose a cubicle well away from everyone else. *happily browsing / drooling*

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jan 31 2014, 6:07am)

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 31 2014, 6:00am

Post #232 of 402 (30166 views)
Shortcut
     Does that mean...? [In reply to]  

..Elanor, I notice you said you are yet to see film in English, and that you're in Italy.
Does that mean you have only seen an overdubbed version? So you haven't yet experienced The Voice?

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 31 2014, 11:07am

Post #233 of 402 (30117 views)
Shortcut
     Private obsessions.... [In reply to]  

I hear you! While I'm open about my Tolkien obsession at work, I do tend to downplay my Thranduil enthralldom.

You need to decorate your home computer or your smartphone. I love the idea of putting his pic in a locker and going HS. I should do that with my gym locker. LOL

Some Thranduil to get us through the work day:

In Reply To
...for that particular image. That has made my afternoon! *melts*

We "hot desk" in my workplace, which means turning up to a different free desk each day with my laptop. Which means I can't decorate my space.
(though I am considering putting a Thrandy pic inside my locker door, high school style)

Yesterday I really wished I could browse all these pics in private., but was in a busy 'avenue' at work with people constantly walking up behind me - and I am very private about my passions because I don't like being teased. So today I chose a cubicle well away from everyone else. *happily browsing / drooling*

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 31 2014, 11:20am

Post #234 of 402 (30148 views)
Shortcut
     I'll come out with it... [In reply to]  

...and my apologies if this offends anyone. I'm not a fan of "fan fiction" or shipping(?) fictional characters. There...I said it. It just feels wrong to me on so many levels, probably because I come to view fictional characters as real people. Blush

As for fan fiction: I'm a writer and my characters are near and dear to me. I hope to get published one day and while I'm not arrogant enough to think anyone will care enough about my characters to 'ship them or write fan fic about them, I would avoid it at all costs. It irritated me that EL James basically poached Meyers' characters for her horribly written 50 Shades series. (In the original fan fiction posted online, they were actually named Bella and Edward, etc.) Why not create your own original characters and your own worlds?

On that same note, I'm not a fan of all the "fan fiction" artwork either. I'm not referring to the beautiful drawings of say Thranduil or Aragorn & Arwen, etc. but the stuff that falls under the "slash" umbrella--I think that's the correct term. I made the mistake of opening up a Thranduil FB page looking for movie screencaps and instead found all these distasteful slash pics. (Note: I have nothing against homosexuality but I don't like the non-canon character pairings. At all.) Unsure

Again, my apologies if I offended anyone with my opinion on the matter.

Back to THRANDUIL!

In Reply To
....Yeah, I'm not a fan of 'shipping, fictional (except a quick joke) or real world. I hate even the term, but that's just my 'hot button'. I've seen the harm in it.

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 31 2014, 1:35pm

Post #235 of 402 (30118 views)
Shortcut
     Fan fiction [In reply to]  

Not offended at all. To each their own I say.

For many fans, writing or reading fan fiction is a way of exploring "unseen scenes" or "filling in the gaps" (canon or otherwise) in a book, film, anime or TV series and keeping the characters with them long after the original source story is over. Some fan fiction is extremely well written and sometimes even better than the source material (well, I'm thinking of one particular anime series from the '90's that had enough plot holes for Smaug to fly through but I digress) and of course some are horribly written.

I got curious and went to Wiki to see what might be written about fan fiction and was surprised to see that fan fiction has been around for a long time, even before the fandom for the original Star Trek TV series. I mean Charlotte Brontė wrote fan fiction? Wow!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_fiction

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 31 2014, 3:14pm

Post #236 of 402 (30146 views)
Shortcut
     Another wonderful pic of Thranduil [In reply to]  

I like yourself Rowan feel that the characters of ME seem to be very realistic.Thrandruil may appear on the outside cold and arrogant but I'll bet on the inside he is nothing like that. I have no idea what happened to his wife, is she still around or has she gone to the undying lands or maybe she was killed by an orc....who knows but to her I'll bet he was a loving and passionate husband and very protective of his wife and son as he is with his people. I suppose if you are a male elf in your prime of life which will last forever, somehow I can't see him take a vow of celibacy. If his wife is no longer around then I don't doubt that when he is feeling lonely for some female companionship he only has to approach some beautiful elf maiden and with a few words from that mouth and eye contact from him they would be putty in his hands ( I know I would be lol).

Thranduil is a Hot Elf!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2014, 3:24pm

Post #237 of 402 (30120 views)
Shortcut
     I'm not a fan either [In reply to]  

Especially all this "shipping" nonsense. I'm a writer as well and although I'll admit that the story I'm currently working on is loosely inspired by ME, (there are elves and it occurs in the ancient past of our world) I am working very hard to create my own unique world and unique characters with a unique story. (making up names is hard) I have to say, should I ever get published and should people be so kind as to like it enough to write fan fiction about it, I would avoid it at all costs as well lest I get upset because they have the characters doing things I would not have them do.

*rant beginning to well up from within* Lord help me if I ever saw anyone pulling an "EL James" on any of my characters. I'd probably throw my laptop out the window and throw up. (I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but I personally despise the very idea of 50 Shade of Grey and I have not read it and never ever will. I simply do not believe in allowing that sort of thing into my mind.)

Yeah, I've unintentionally seen some of that "slash" artwork as well while looking for other things and I think they are pretty distasteful too. If Tolkien ever saw any of it, I just know he'd roll over in his grave! I don't like it when fictional characters get shipped, but I especially dislike the shipping of real people. It's like, hello? These are real people with real lives and real feelings. Whether they're celebrities or not shouldn't matter. They should be allowed privacy and treated with the same amount of respect and dignity that every human being deserves! *rant over*

btw: very nice picture of Thranduil. I like they way it's colored. Is that what you would call sepia tone?

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Jan 31 2014, 3:28pm)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 31 2014, 3:43pm

Post #238 of 402 (30117 views)
Shortcut
     thanks for the link [In reply to]  

I was just wondering how fan fiction has become a new literary popular genre and this phenomenon has grown lately thanks to the net.
I understand why for example grr martin strongly opposes it because he is still slowly writing his story and fans are trying to fill these gaps (the most popular is the topic of Jon Snow's parents, tens of videos with thousands of fanart picturesWink).
I must admit I find nothing wrong with that, as long as it is beautifully written and tries to stay true to the "real" characters' spirit. I'm not that into crossover or the use of images of other series to create new storylines: if you don't know what it is... Nesse, you can have a look Wink at what Thranduil's wife could have been
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhZImk4l7_I
I understand the existence of the subgenre "hurt /confort" and I must also admit my weakness, because sometimes I indulge in reading alternative endings to Fili and Kili's lives, sorry
BlushBlush
Till a few weeks ago I didn't know what a slash or even a bromance was: I mostly find them deliberately "over the top" and don't catch my attention or interest.
Shipping "real people" is incomprehensible because they are actors and they aren't always linked to that special character.. Ned Stark or Boromir, well I really couldn't chooseWink

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 31 2014, 3:45pm

Post #239 of 402 (30104 views)
Shortcut
     shipping [In reply to]  

In Reply To

Again, my apologies if I offended anyone with my opinion on the matter.

Why offended? I think everybody has his (or better say her in here? :D ) own idea of all that stuff and I as long as people can respect other opinions, it should be fine :)

I'm feeling sort of indifferent for all the shipping (concerning fictional characters, real person stuff is definitely a absolut no-go for me), I don't mind if some of those slash-pics appear on my dash (some are quite funny and beautiful I have to admit), but I would not post them here e.g. (as I assume there are loads of underage users on this board). And that's the thing, I'm sort of, well - worried about. If I just see the pics and fanfictions (rated NC-17) reblogged and read by 13-year old girls

Oh well.. and if you're using these social media stuff you just can't avoid them. I'm falling over those things more or less on a daily basis, just if i open my account and I would not sleep a minutes (i think) if a would have a daughter being fan of the hobbit hanging around on tumblr. Really...

Fanfiction: well, I admit: I like to read those, well, some of them, a small part of them at least :) but that's maybe 1 out of 40, i can't stand all the mary sue stuff, i can't stand ff written by 13year-old-girlies drooling about a char/actor and all those things. I want magic in the stories, closing "plot-holes", showing the lifes of the characters after the curtain of the movie fell..

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 31 2014, 3:49pm

Post #240 of 402 (30127 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, I heard Thranduil's [In reply to]  

and Thorin's majestic voices only on youtube and I am eagerly waiting for the TE of DOS to be released as soon as possible. It's impossible to watch films in original language in my country, but Thranduil literally blew my mind when I first watched the teaser trailer and I heard him say..."Such is the nature of evil... "aaawww

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2014, 4:09pm

Post #241 of 402 (30105 views)
Shortcut
     One of the few fanfic pieces I've ever read and liked [In reply to]  

This bit of fanfic by someone named durinheir on DeviantArt is actually a pretty touching piece that features Thranduil and Legolas. Apparently the painting "Forgotten Lantern" by Kinko-White came first and durinheir wrote the story to accompany it. There is no shipping or slashing. Hope y'all enjoy!
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Forgotten-Lantern-372627903

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 31 2014, 6:50pm

Post #242 of 402 (30101 views)
Shortcut
     Speaking of elves and marriage... [In reply to]  

This is an example of what I loved about Tolkien--his attention to detail. Apparently, once married, an elf is married forever, as in eternity. If a spouse dies and goes to the Halls of Mandos, they remain there until they're ready to re-enter their bodies and rejoin their lives (wherever they left off). The spouse waits for them, however long that may be. If they choose not to return, I'm 99% sure the marriage remains valid and the other spouse can't remarry.

Elves are often separated from their spouses for long periods of time. An example is Lord Elrond, whose wife was captured and tortured by orcs (possibly raped) causing her to leave ME for the undying lands where she awaits her husband.

Only one elf remarried and that was a special case (Finwe, first High Kind of the Noldor).

I think I also read somewhere that elves can tell if another elf is married by their eyes and their voice (they can literally see and hear this in each other). That's why adultery is unheard of among elves.

And I just revealed my inner geek! LOL Blush

If you're interested in learning more, I believe this information is in the Histories of Middle Earth (volume 10, Morgoth's Ring). Fascinating reading! His attention to detail and world-building is beyond impressive.

In Reply To
I like yourself Rowan feel that the characters of ME seem to be very realistic.Thrandruil may appear on the outside cold and arrogant but I'll bet on the inside he is nothing like that. I have no idea what happened to his wife, is she still around or has she gone to the undying lands or maybe she was killed by an orc....who knows but to her I'll bet he was a loving and passionate husband and very protective of his wife and son as he is with his people. I suppose if you are a male elf in your prime of life which will last forever, somehow I can't see him take a vow of celibacy. If his wife is no longer around then I don't doubt that when he is feeling lonely for some female companionship he only has to approach some beautiful elf maiden and with a few words from that mouth and eye contact from him they would be putty in his hands ( I know I would be lol).

Thranduil is a Hot Elf!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 31 2014, 7:59pm

Post #243 of 402 (30085 views)
Shortcut
     Ah, another 'right-click, save image as' ! =) // [In reply to]  

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jan 31 2014, 8:00pm)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 31 2014, 8:05pm

Post #244 of 402 (30084 views)
Shortcut
     I'm just gunna... [In reply to]  

I'm just gunna.. gunna leave this here because Lee and one of the few Hobbit promo things he's been on.

AND wink Wink

I felt like a teenager again there for a moment Laugh

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 31 2014, 8:14pm

Post #245 of 402 (30082 views)
Shortcut
     Inner Geeks Unite! [In reply to]  

I'm such a geek (check out my book collection)! I bought all the Houghton Mifflin MoME hardbacks way back in 2001, the book on Tolkien's letters and others and read them all but honestly, have forgotten most of what I read! LOL. I think I recall someone on this board mentioning that what little back story there is for Thranduil is in "Unfinished Tales"? Do any of my fellow Thralls know?
Attachments: Tolkien Books.jpg (48.0 KB)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 31 2014, 8:28pm

Post #246 of 402 (30047 views)
Shortcut
     Yes! [In reply to]  

There's some information regarding his back story in UF in the Galadriel and Celeborn chapter. (I have all the hardcovers too!)

In Reply To
I'm such a geek (check out my book collection)! I bought all the Houghton Mifflin MoME hardbacks way back in 2001, the book on Tolkien's letters and others and read them all but honestly, have forgotten most of what I read! LOL. I think I recall someone on this board mentioning that what little back story there is for Thranduil is in "Unfinished Tales"? Do any of my fellow Thralls know?

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 31 2014, 8:31pm)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 31 2014, 8:35pm

Post #247 of 402 (30090 views)
Shortcut
     When we see Lee... [In reply to]  

...we just have to let our inner fan girls out! It's his fault for being so charming. Wink

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 31 2014, 8:35pm

Post #248 of 402 (30050 views)
Shortcut
     UT [In reply to]  

In Reply To
. I think I recall someone on this board mentioning that what little back story there is for Thranduil is in "Unfinished Tales"? Do any of my fellow Thralls know?

These are quotes from the unfinished tales, History of Galadriel & Celeborn I hope this helps :) .. and this is soo good, so much better than the invented dragon tale :)

This they did deliberately; for they came from Doriath after its ruin and had no desire to leave Middle-earth, nor to be merged with the other Sindar of Beleriand, dominated by the Noldorin Exiles for whom the folk of Doriath had no great love. They wished indeed to become Silvan folk and to return; as they said to the simple life natural to the Elves before the invitation of the Valar had disturbed it.

The Silvan Elves were hardy and valiant, but ill-equipped with armour or weapons in comparison with the Eldar of the West; also they were independent, and not disposed to place themselves under the supreme command of Gil-galad. Their losses were thus more grievous than they need have been, even in that terrible war…Thranduil [Oropher's] son survived, but when the war ended and Sauron was slain (as it seemed) he led back home barely a third of the army that had marched to war

But there was in Thranduil’s heart a still deeper shadow. He had seen the horror of Mordor and could not forget it. If ever he looked south its memory dimmed the light of the Sun, and though he knew that it was now broken and deserted and under the vigilance of the Kings of Men, fear spoke in his heart that it was not conquered for ever: it would arise again

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

(This post was edited by CurseOfFeanor on Jan 31 2014, 8:37pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2014, 9:02pm

Post #249 of 402 (30017 views)
Shortcut
     O.O [In reply to]  

I have soooo much reading to do to catch up to you all...The only Tolkien books I have so far are TH and the three LOTR books and I just started ROTK.

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2014, 9:05pm

Post #250 of 402 (30038 views)
Shortcut
     *giggles* [In reply to]  

I like! Blush

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.