Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
In TABA, who will be the one to... (BOFA spoilers)
Poll: In TABA, who will be the one to... (BOFA spoilers)
Azog
Bolg
Some other orc/goblin/warg
PJ won't have the guts to kill Thorin/Fili/Kili off.
Other
View Results (36 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 30 2014, 11:26pm

Post #1 of 15 (457 views)
Shortcut
In TABA, who will be the one to... (BOFA spoilers) Can't Post

kill Thorin?

Also, bonus questions: Who will finish off Azog and Bolg? I'm thinking maybe Legolas will bring Bolg down because they had a fight against each other in DOS. Since I think Azog will kill Thorin, hopefully revenge will be served by Beorn.

And while we're at it, exactly how will Fili and Kili bite the dust? I am so looking forward to the BOFA, because I have no idea how it will be handled.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Jan 30 2014, 11:27pm)

Annael
Immortal

Jan 31 2014, 1:53am

Post #2 of 15 (299 views)
Shortcut
my guess [In reply to] Can't Post

he and Azog kill each other. Azog dies first, Thorin dies of his wounds.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 31 2014, 2:13am

Post #3 of 15 (318 views)
Shortcut
It's not a matter of "guts" exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem is, how can Thorin be killed? He was virtually dead at the end of AUJ, and Gandalf revived him instantly and completely with a wave of his hand, no athelas, even. Too bad he wasn't around to fix Kili. But Gandalf will surely be at BOFA, so why should anyone on our side die?

Jackson has dug himself a pit.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jan 31 2014, 4:14pm

Post #4 of 15 (284 views)
Shortcut
??? [In reply to] Can't Post

What are you talking about? Gandalf didn't single-handedly revive Thorin. I interpreted it as he just waking Thorin up. Jackson has by no means "dug himself into a hole."

malickfan
Gondor

Jan 31 2014, 8:31pm

Post #5 of 15 (285 views)
Shortcut
I'm expecting something like this: [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili and Kili and Thorin are backed into a corner carving a swather through the orcs, Azog is locked in Heavy combat with Dain and his Bodyguard. Bolg fights Legolas/Beorn/Tauriel gains the upper hand and moves towards the trio, Dain is bested by Azog.

Bolg breaks through to Thorin and injures him badly. Fili and Kili attack Bolg one is killed (cue corny music and excessive slow mo), Tauriel desperately tries to break though but can't.

The other Brother injures Bolg bringing him to the floor, in his moment of triumph about to deliver the killing Blow, Azog (wounded by Dain) appears and kills him. Thorin mad with Grief attacks Azog Thorin and Azog fight each other to the death, Thorin delivers the killing blow, Bolg is just about to kill him, Beorn turns up and pulls down Bolg.

Dain rallies the rest of the Dwarves and fights through to Thorin, but it's too late.

Tauriel survives but is heartbroken and resigns from the King's guard leading to a falling out with Legolas.

Or something like that.

I really have no idea how this will play out and to be honest I don't really care about the specifics- I never warmed to Armitage so I doubt I will be getting very emotional (I'll probably be cheering...) at his passing.

I can see this going a dozen different ways, as long as Fili and Kili die by their uncles side (preferably in the most brutal way possible-I want the ending to be as bittersweet as possible) (Tauriel's influence hopefully being minimal) and as long as Dain and Beorn's canonical roles in the deaths of Bolg and Azog are referenced in some way then I guess I will feel like I've had my money's worth.

(This post was edited by malickfan on Jan 31 2014, 8:32pm)

Annael
Immortal

Feb 1 2014, 4:19pm

Post #6 of 15 (276 views)
Shortcut
excellent UUT! [In reply to] Can't Post

works for me.

I've often wished that PJ would have used TORn as a think tank for his scripts.

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 1 2014, 6:37pm

Post #7 of 15 (269 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, this surprised me [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder why Bolg is leading - is it because he is the "canon" one when it comes to BOFA? In the film universe, Thorin's arch enemy is clearly Azog and not Bolg. If Thorin would fight Azog, and they would both off each other, that would be better IMO since AUJ went to such great lengths to describe the relationship of these characters, it would be cool to end it with a climactic sequence between the two on the battlefield.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Feb 1 2014, 6:42pm)

Misto
Lorien

Feb 1 2014, 10:32pm

Post #8 of 15 (273 views)
Shortcut
Hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I never warmed to Armitage so I doubt I will be getting very emotional (I'll probably be cheering...) at his passing.

I will second this, only that it's not RA I never warmed to but Thorin. Actually, I believe Richard did an excellent job, because I still like Thorin as little as I did in the book. I wasn't exactly sorry to see him go when I read it and I won't be sorry in the movie either.

Now, Thorin fans, you're free to shoot me Tongue

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 2 2014, 11:17am

Post #9 of 15 (253 views)
Shortcut
I'll just say this [In reply to] Can't Post

The first time I read TH, I shed a tear when Thorin had his speech and passed away... and I never cry about movies I've seen, let alone books! So it affected me very deeply.

malickfan
Gondor

Feb 2 2014, 4:22pm

Post #10 of 15 (252 views)
Shortcut
I agree Armitage did an excellent job with what he was given... [In reply to] Can't Post

He really is a great actor,but that didn't stop me from being very annoyed with Thorin in the films-the whole way through AUJ (and DOS) I pasted Ian Mcshane over Armitage it's nothing against Armitage I just really didn't enjoy him in the role, nor did he fit my own image of Thorin, I guess if i'm picturing someone else in the role without even seeing their take on it I will never warm to Armitage.

Weirdly enough I actually liked Thorin in the book (I found his grumpy old man persona quite endearing in an odd way, at least his flaws made him a more interesting character than some of Tolkiens other heroes, then again I have some rather weird views on the books so I've been told), I don't know whether it was the dialogue he was given, the changes to his age/persona or simply him hijacking Bilbo's prominence in his own story, but I failed to connect with Thorin in the films (or his long hair as PJ reminded us with ever mounting close ups).

Now Armitage fans you are free to chase me with Pitchforks...

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 3 2014, 3:52pm

Post #11 of 15 (219 views)
Shortcut
I'll third this. [In reply to] Can't Post

For such an important character, i have no real feeling one way or another about Thorin. He serves the script well enough, and i can see his importance in driving the story. I just don't care about him. Armitage is fine in the role, so i can't really put my finger on it. Thorin's just a lackluster character for me so far.

dubulous
Rohan

Feb 3 2014, 6:45pm

Post #12 of 15 (223 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

The way I saw it, he was just passed out, not dead. Gandalf simply brought him about again. To me, it was the equivalent of throwing a bucket of icy water on him, just more gentle.

KasDel
Rivendell

Feb 3 2014, 11:37pm

Post #13 of 15 (239 views)
Shortcut
Seconded ... [In reply to] Can't Post

although a bucket of ice water might have been better!Evil

Misto
Lorien

Feb 4 2014, 1:06pm

Post #14 of 15 (217 views)
Shortcut
*snort* [In reply to] Can't Post

Well... that would have had the book purists run screaming. Although I must admit I rather like the idea Cool

phij2
Rivendell

Feb 8 2014, 11:16am

Post #15 of 15 (224 views)
Shortcut
so conflicted [In reply to] Can't Post

think they should stick to the book and F/K/T should all die, but will be so heartbroken. Especially F and K, they are too young i tell you, too young. Aaah well, we will have to wait and see what PJ has in store.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.