Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 30 2014, 2:23pm

Post #201 of 402 (28158 views)
Shortcut
     Well said [In reply to]  

When I read the speculation about LP and RA, who happen to be my two favourite actors (RA since 2006), I had three thoughts. One was that it isn't any of my business - only my husband is my business. Then I thought if it is true, they both have impeccable taste and I wish them every happiness. If it isn't true, I have the utmost respect for the dignified way they have dealt with the rumours, which are par for the course in the profession they have both chosen to follow. Whatever the situation is, it has no bearing on my continuing enjoyment of their work and never will.

Ok, maybe that was around 6 thoughts...Unsure

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 30 2014, 4:36pm

Post #202 of 402 (28132 views)
Shortcut
     Impeccable taste - how true, if so!!! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Then I thought if it is true, they both have impeccable taste and I wish them every happiness.
Aside from the possible debate itself (which as you say, is really a bit lacking in meaning to us) - this made me laugh! Impeccable taste- my goodness, yes!Laugh
And Welcome, Thranduiliel!

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2014, 5:25pm

Post #203 of 402 (28089 views)
Shortcut
     That pencil drawing... [In reply to]  

Is lovely! Where did it come from?

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 30 2014, 5:49pm

Post #204 of 402 (28084 views)
Shortcut
     Pencil drawing.... [In reply to]  

I think I found that one on the "Elves" FB page--that or the Thranduil FB page.

In Reply To
Is lovely! Where did it come from?

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 30 2014, 5:49pm

Post #205 of 402 (28095 views)
Shortcut
     That shot is stunning... [In reply to]  

Do you know if it's possible to get a poster of this photo everytime I scroll through the replies and come to this pic I feel weak at the knees. I'm sure if I was on set and Thrandruil spoke to me I would surely pass out Blush

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 30 2014, 5:57pm

Post #206 of 402 (28077 views)
Shortcut
     Haven't seen this one in poster form [In reply to]  

But he's December in my 2014 calendar! I would love to have a full length version poster and put it in my office. Then again, I might not get any work done if I did that! Crazy

ETA: oh you can get a full size standee of Thranduil! *giggles* http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Thranduil-The-Hobbit-The-Desolation-of-Smaug-Movie-Lifesize-Standup-Poster-Posters_i10277136_.htm

In Reply To
Do you know if it's possible to get a poster of this photo everytime I scroll through the replies and come to this pic I feel weak at the knees. I'm sure if I was on set and Thrandruil spoke to me I would surely pass out Blush

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Jan 30 2014, 6:04pm)
Attachments: thranduil-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-movie-lifesize-standup-poster.jpg (34.2 KB)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 30 2014, 5:59pm

Post #207 of 402 (28115 views)
Shortcut
     McKellen's interview [In reply to]  

has been a starting point for a series of related articles on the net which made lots of speculation and hypotheses. I was just summarizing that (nothing of what I wrote was my idea or speculation) .
In my opinion If you are out, you probably have no problems with all the Internet buzz, if you haven't publicly of course it may happen that someone lets slip something, if you aren't and many articles variously report it, you are probably annoyed.
I was horrified at the way things were being reported and speculated about and I was sorry that a great man like Ian McKellen had been the source for all of it: it was not the fact per se but the way his words were interpretedSmile

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 30 2014, 6:08pm

Post #208 of 402 (28053 views)
Shortcut
     Every office needs one of those! [In reply to]  

Haha, brilliant - I'd never get any work done either with this! Perhaps I'll just leave it at the door to ward off my colleagues!

At 68 inches in height, isn't that around 5'8? So They've shrunk Lee Pace by around 7 inches!BlushLaugh

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 30 2014, 6:10pm

Post #209 of 402 (28084 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks... [In reply to]  

for the warm welcome, Brethil - it's great being here. I've lurked for a long time, but the Elvenking finally dragged me out from the shadows to pay homage to his greatness! Cool

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 30 2014, 6:10pm

Post #210 of 402 (28055 views)
Shortcut
     Well, [In reply to]  

you did refer to hoping that Ian McKellen would keep his 'big mouth' shut.
You can see how criticism of him could be inferred from your post.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 30 2014, 6:15pm

Post #211 of 402 (28055 views)
Shortcut
     Excellent reason to de-lurk! [In reply to]  

Hope you stick around, its a fun place. Cool

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 30 2014, 6:21pm

Post #212 of 402 (28056 views)
Shortcut
     aww [In reply to]  

Oh I want one .. no .. i want Two.. one for the office & one for the lab. Aye that would do. I've printed out some of the lovely cartoons and decorated the space around my screen.. and I have the screencaps of the two DOS trailers as screensavers, it switches on after 1 min xD

But I cannot overdo it at work, my colleagues already think I'm weird in regard to that .. and I'm afraid they'll put all the stuff on my PhD hat which I have to explain in detail after my viva. Not so sure if I want to do THAT Angelic

In Reply To
Haha, brilliant - I'd never get any work done either with this! Perhaps I'll just leave it at the door to ward off my colleagues!

At 68 inches in height, isn't that around 5'8? So They've shrunk Lee Pace by around 7 inches!BlushLaugh

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 30 2014, 6:27pm

Post #213 of 402 (28049 views)
Shortcut
     Having lots of fun so far! [In reply to]  

I've actually lurked on and off for over 10 years - is that some kind of record?! BlushCool Much more frequently though since AUJ came out. Good to see nice, friendly, fun discussion instead of backbiting on a forum.

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 30 2014, 6:30pm

Post #214 of 402 (28045 views)
Shortcut
     Fair enough! [In reply to]  

I'm very lucky because my boss is also my friend and for Christmas bought me a Thorin mug and a Legolas mousemat for work, as he is also a LOTR/Hobbit fan. And I came back from my break to find he'd taken Thorin out of his calendar from last year and put him on my wall! I bought him the Hobbit desk calendar for his room. I keep dropping Thrandy hints for my birthday, but I have a feeling he may draw the line at a full-size Thranduil in the workplace!

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 30 2014, 6:32pm

Post #215 of 402 (28070 views)
Shortcut
     some more pics [In reply to]  

I'm running out of photos I could post.. only nasty ones are left xD

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 30 2014, 6:34pm

Post #216 of 402 (28034 views)
Shortcut
     I love... [In reply to]  

the hint of dimple in the left cheek when he utters the words 'slay a dragon'. Lovely facial contours. I can never tire of this scene. Beautiful pics thanks - I was having difficulty finding out the meaning of Thranduil's name, so thanks for that.

Are there any such thing as nasty Thranduil pics? On the other hand, best not answer that! Wink

(This post was edited by Thranduiliel on Jan 30 2014, 6:36pm)

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 30 2014, 6:39pm

Post #217 of 402 (28035 views)
Shortcut
     slay a dragon [In reply to]  

In Reply To
the hint of dimple in the left cheek when he utters the words 'slay a dragon'. Lovely facial contours. I can never tire of this scene. Beautiful pics thanks - I was having difficulty finding out the meaning of Thranduil's name, so thanks for that.

More than welcomed :D
Awww.. me too.. the trailer & the "slay a dragon" made me mad, really mad Smile .. it still does, i just need to see the pic and the line comes automatically into my mind.

In Reply To
Are there any such thing as nasty Thranduil pics? On the other hand, best not answer that! Wink

Oh yes LOL I would say countless, they appear randomly on my tumblr dash

B&W is just soo nice

(This post was edited by CurseOfFeanor on Jan 30 2014, 6:39pm)

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jan 30 2014, 7:46pm

Post #218 of 402 (28041 views)
Shortcut
     rumor [In reply to]  

Where did this rumor arise? Is this what was implied by the remarks by McKellan? All in all, I find this rumor ridiculous. I don't care one way or the other re:anyone's sexual preference but what I really wonder is if any two (famous) men can ever just be friends and go out to dinner together. If it had been two women, would anyone even notice? Our society (maybe just in America?) puts so much pressure on boys to not show any emotions that it warps their view of human relations. This was especially evident after LOTR with all the Frodo/Sam jokes about their "real" relationship. The fact that two men could truly love each other in a nonsexual way seems an alien concept. Now, of course, I do not mean all men feel this way, I just got annoyed at constantly trying to explain what true, deep friendship can look like, even between two men. I found most women accepted the Frodo/Sam friendship without question.

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 30 2014, 7:53pm

Post #219 of 402 (28020 views)
Shortcut
     ... [In reply to]  

The rumor arose after the interview, followed by a private photo, coming from some facebook account.

In Reply To
This was especially evident after LOTR with all the Frodo/Sam jokes about their "real" relationship. The fact that two men could truly love each other in a nonsexual way seems an alien concept.

Naaa.. everything is sexual.

I really have the impression now it's much much more worse than it was during the LotR time, social media only add a lot to this (there was just no tumblr during LotR)- and what surprises me most: it's entirely accepted ... I mean, just look at all the Thorduil stuff going through the net, I've never read a blaming post on one of those pics but I do remember the screams of the internet community during LotR times when certain buzzwords were mentioned quite well: "oh how could you?? how dare you??"

^^ and for some it's not enough to ship the characters (I don't have a problem with that), they do even ship the real existing people, searching for "special" photos (or photoshop them if they do not exist).

(This post was edited by CurseOfFeanor on Jan 30 2014, 7:59pm)

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2014, 8:03pm

Post #220 of 402 (28002 views)
Shortcut
     Mae govannen, Thranduiliel! [In reply to]  

And thanks. :-)

I never can tell if I'm having three thoughts or six, either. LOL!

Nice to have you delurked! Hope you stick around and offer more of your thoughts (however many they are).

Love your point about impeccable taste -- absolutely. And that it's really none of our business. I don't know as much about LP, but I have tremendous respect for RA, more so than for any other actor I've ever seen. He is just one classy, intelligent, very talented man, and I'll continue to enjoy what he does no matter what.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 30 2014, 8:04pm

Post #221 of 402 (28008 views)
Shortcut
     exactly [In reply to]  

if I think of Thranduil these are exactly the words that come into my mind. Unlike you, I am still waiting to see the whole film in English...Evil

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 30 2014, 8:35pm

Post #222 of 402 (28015 views)
Shortcut
     TABA [In reply to]  

OMG.. just found those and as they are somehow related to Thranduil: here they are

OMG! I'm literally dying, i want to see TABA.. now. gosh, those swords

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2014, 8:59pm

Post #223 of 402 (27989 views)
Shortcut
     I've seen that vlog so many times without noticing this one thing. [In reply to]  

If I'm not mistaken, those are all Mirkwood elves. You can tell by the armor. So, I guess that means it's Thranduil's army!

Wow, how did I miss that until just now? Now I'm excited too!

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 30 2014, 9:05pm

Post #224 of 402 (27961 views)
Shortcut
     :) [In reply to]  

Yeah, i think that's a part of his army for the Bo5A.. And now multiply them by - i don't know - maybe a 100 times.. I'm lost xD

In Reply To
If I'm not mistaken, those are all Mirkwood elves. You can tell by the armor. So, I guess that means it's Thranduil's army!

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 30 2014, 9:09pm

Post #225 of 402 (27940 views)
Shortcut
     Awesome! [In reply to]  

Thanks for posting those CurseOfFeanor! They look very cool. Those swords are wicked and I love all the burgundy velvet. Gotta give it to the elves to be dressed to the nines for a battle!Angelic

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Jan 30 2014, 9:09pm)

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.