Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What's your favorite season?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What's your favorite season?
Spring! I love to smell the flowers . . .
Summer! Boating & beaches . . .
Autumn! Love the fall colors . . .
Winter! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow . . .
The warmer months, from the spring equinox to the autumn equinox
The cooler months, from the autumn equinox to the spring equinox
I'm bipolar: I love winter and summer best
I'm a different bipolar: I love autumn and spring best
I love them all
Other
View Results (57 votes)

Annael
Immortal

Jan 30 2014, 5:07pm

Post #1 of 47 (613 views)
Shortcut
What's your favorite season? Can't Post

Someone suggested this in the "cold" poll below. What's your best time of year?

I'm a winter baby (literally - was born in a blizzard!) and I love everything about winter: snow, dark, cold, skiing, the way the air smells when it's going to snow, coming in from a day of skiing to sit by the fire and drink hot chocolate, the lights people put up (around here we keep them up until Valentine's Day).

And you?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 30 2014, 5:25pm

Post #2 of 47 (479 views)
Shortcut
Definitely 'warmer months'. [In reply to] Can't Post

Spring's fattening buds and lime-green new leaves make me so *happy*, the slow warm evenings of autumn are lovely, and I love the heat of summer (although not this summer, which has largely been MIA).

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 30 2014, 5:33pm

Post #3 of 47 (471 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, late Spring I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Around May/early June, which is the perfect whether here in Sweden in my opinion. Not a big fan of July/August, it's usually too hot for my tastes. I do like autumn as well.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Jan 30 2014, 5:40pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 30 2014, 5:41pm

Post #4 of 47 (455 views)
Shortcut
I love Summer [In reply to] Can't Post

though Spring is a close second, when my garden wakes up again.
I love the warm weather, and the swimming (communing with Ulmo!) and the summer evenings.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jan 30 2014, 5:42pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 30 2014, 7:08pm

Post #5 of 47 (445 views)
Shortcut
I love summer [In reply to] Can't Post

when I can leave town in the middle of the afternoon, drive to the mountains, get on the trail at 5 PM and still get in a nice hike before it gets dark. <3

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jan 30 2014, 7:23pm

Post #6 of 47 (453 views)
Shortcut
Love them all [In reply to] Can't Post

I love them all, though with all this cold and ice lately, I'm beginning not to like winter very much anymore. I think if I didn't live at the top of a hill that my car can't get up, I'd be more happy with winter this year. I love snow, but again, I can't get up the hill!

Overall, though, I like each season. But by the time I'm midway through one, I'm always ready for the next.

Kim
Valinor

Jan 30 2014, 8:38pm

Post #7 of 47 (421 views)
Shortcut
Definitely summer [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the light and warmth. I love the long days and being able to be outside to 10pm. Going to the beach, parks, outdoor concerts and just lying in the grass with a good book. Shorts, t-shirts and flip flops. Counting the days! Cool

KasDel
Rivendell

Jan 30 2014, 8:58pm

Post #8 of 47 (421 views)
Shortcut
The cooler months... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always had this theory that because of decorum, morals, necessity etc., that I could always put on more clothing to stay warm but there IS a limit of those items that I can reasonably discard to stay cool! Evil

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 30 2014, 9:13pm

Post #9 of 47 (430 views)
Shortcut
"Duck Season!" [In reply to] Can't Post

"Wabbit Season!"

"ELMER SEASON!"

elaen32
Gondor

Jan 30 2014, 10:25pm

Post #10 of 47 (417 views)
Shortcut
I agree MacFalk [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in England, May and early June are also my favourite months, when there are so many wild flowers and blossom around, although I do like late March- April too, seeing the filigree of light green foliage, the shoots poking through the earth and becoming flowers etc. I also like Autumn, especially September and October, with the berries and changes of colours etc. Winter, I like least- especially January and February. And July/August here either rains a lot or is very hot

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 30 2014, 10:42pm

Post #11 of 47 (416 views)
Shortcut
(*heeheeee...classic O-S!*) [In reply to] Can't Post

Be vewy, vewy quiet...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 30 2014, 10:44pm

Post #12 of 47 (408 views)
Shortcut
More like "classic Chuck Jones" [In reply to] Can't Post

Credit where credit is due.

Seriously, though, probabably summer--if it isn't too hot.

macfalk
Valinor

Jan 30 2014, 10:49pm

Post #13 of 47 (405 views)
Shortcut
Same [In reply to] Can't Post

January and February (feels like "filler months") are probably the months I like the least (closely followed by November). I like December though, because I really like Christmas and it's a month that reminds me of the LOTR and TH films and Tolkien in general. Smile

(This post was edited by macfalk on Jan 30 2014, 10:51pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 31 2014, 12:06am

Post #14 of 47 (434 views)
Shortcut
Well Annael, to answer in a similar fashion, [In reply to] Can't Post

i was born in the heat of the summer (early August) and it follows suit here be, that it is heat and summer that gets me going, largely being a water person. As a kid up in Maine, they could not get me outta the water unless the dinner bell was rung.

Riding a mc and a bicycle is ok in the cooler times but it is just righteous in the hot. Evening rides are particularly lovely. Taking runs in just running shorts and shoes gives me a wonderful sense of freedom.

One thing i do like about the winter months is the personalities of trees exhibited from the lack of leaves leaving the beauty of their very varied structural forms against the sky. And the horizon opens up as well too.

One of my favorite things is to lay on the big blow-up raft 50ft out on a hot sunny day, with a cloud or two. The water glistens and waves tinkle/lap and rock the raft subtly. All kinds of sounds shore-bound (bird song, wind in the trees and waves against the shore mainly) are heightened.

Laying there looking up at the clouds, there is the dance of the dragonflies and the damselfly's darting to and fro. They alight harmlessly on the skin and it is a study to see their beauty. The red ones are gorgeous.

There are the vultures, the osprey and the occasional bald eagle that float effortlessly above us in lazy circles.

I could just go on and on here. But i think one gets the idea here:).

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 31 2014, 12:32am

Post #15 of 47 (417 views)
Shortcut
You and me both, Silneldor. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As a kid up in Maine, they could not get me outta the water unless the dinner bell was rung.

What part of Maine was that? My family has a log cabin on Long Lake, just north of Sebago. My mom likes to call it "our little slice of heaven."

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2014, 1:55am

Post #16 of 47 (391 views)
Shortcut
well, only really have one .... [In reply to] Can't Post

Fall, spring and winter are sort of mixed together around here..... just lost the last of the fall leaves in a wind storm two weeks ago and the 70 + weather has now started the trees to flowering.... of course just in time for the ONLY rain we've had... pray for more.. do rain dances... etc etc.

By mid April beginning of May we'll hit 90+ on a regular basis and that will go all the way through October...... so summer's about what we've got.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 31 2014, 1:58am

Post #17 of 47 (397 views)
Shortcut
It was Square Pond Men, [In reply to] Can't Post

NW of Sanford, about 7 miles from the NH border. Pop's sister had a camp there on the west shore. Mousam Lake was on the way (it meant long lake too)

I was always the 1st one packed to go up there and all my clothes scattered and unpacked (accidentally on purpose you understandAngelic) on that Sunday to leave. Gee-od it killed me to leave every summer.

I have not seen your Long Lake but the myriad of lakes up there are special without doubt. The waters are just incredibly clear. So tell me about that log cabin. I want to have one myself is i can manage it.

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 31 2014, 2:38am

Post #18 of 47 (410 views)
Shortcut
Cabin built by Ward Log Homes in 90. Great job. [In reply to] Can't Post

Basement garage. First floor kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and big living room in front. Open loft upstairs.

View from the loft. We had the basic design customized to give us more windows for the view of the lake.

We put 3 picnic tables on the deck for a family reunion every Columbus Day weekend.

View from the deck.

Looking in from the dock. Dad is cooking at the old fireplace that we've used since we tented here in the 70s. There's the clear water you mentioned.

(This post was edited by Meneldor on Jan 31 2014, 2:48am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 31 2014, 2:46am

Post #19 of 47 (397 views)
Shortcut
More? Oh, all right. [In reply to] Can't Post

View of the dock from a kayak. With bonus fall colours for all you autumn lovers.

We're on the east shore, so we see some spectacular sunsets.

No lake is complete without loons.

Blue heron.

About 3 feet underwater, next to the dock. I think the fish was trying to scare me away from her eggs. Try taking that picture in the winter!

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2014, 3:32am

Post #20 of 47 (380 views)
Shortcut
Fall. [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in New England and I love the Fall colors we have here. Also crisp sunny weekend days hiking with my sons and my dog.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2014, 4:18am

Post #21 of 47 (387 views)
Shortcut
Late summer and autumn [In reply to] Can't Post

but there is no such bipolarity in the options. Cool I chose "warmer months" although I'm not a fan of spring in general.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 31 2014, 4:23am

Post #22 of 47 (389 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful pictures Meneldor [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for posting these! Cool

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jan 31 2014, 5:16am

Post #23 of 47 (375 views)
Shortcut
Depends on what your choices are! [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Hawaii. Here summers are warm but rarely hot, with daytime temperatures in the 80'sF. It doesn't rain much, and the plains and low hills get dry (although the jungles in the mountains stay wet). Winters are cooler, with temps in the low 70's at night and low 80's daytime. Somewhat more rain. So, not a whole lot of difference. We haven't turned on the A/C in nearly 20 years. I prefer winters, but it really doesn't matter much.

I grew up in the Eastern US and lived in CA for many years as an adult. In CA you can get in your car and drive to the season of your choice: beach (water's icy year-round, but the sun is good) and mountains (with ski slopes operating almost 6 mos./year) only a few hours apart.

But I confess I sometimes miss a real winter, with snow and slush and warm coats and scarves and boots, and ...

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jan 31 2014, 5:18am)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jan 31 2014, 6:03am

Post #24 of 47 (369 views)
Shortcut
I'm a gardener with a low heat tolerance... [In reply to] Can't Post

so I answered 'other'. I live in an area that has huge temperature swings, and I roll with most of them, but I just wilt when the thermometer goes over about 85 F (I think that's a bit below 30 C). But I do love to grow food, which is a spring-summer-fall activity here, since we get some lovely hard freezes (good for killing grasshoppers and the mosquitoes that carry West Nile) in winter.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 31 2014, 5:32pm

Post #25 of 47 (358 views)
Shortcut
Spring [In reply to] Can't Post

I love a storm in early May
When springtime's boisterous, firstborn thunder
Over the sky will gaily wander
And growl and roar as though in play.

A peal, another - gleeful, cheering...
Rain, raindust... On the trees, behold!-
The drops hang, each a long pearl earring;
Bright sunshine paints the thin threads gold.

A stream downhill goes rushing reckless,
And in the woods the birds rejoice.
Din. Clamour. Noise. All nature echoes
The thunder's youthful, merry voice.

You'll say: 'Tis laughing, carefree Hebe -
She fed her father's eagle, and
The Storm Cup brimming with a seething
And bubbling wine dropped from her hand.

- Fyodor Ivanovich Tyutchev

(I also love the frolicking spring calves and colts in the fields, full of innocent joy at their brand new world.)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.