Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 7:05pm

Post #176 of 402 (28040 views)
Shortcut
     Ah I remember...when he told her to leave [In reply to]  

It wasn't much, I hope he speaks Elvish to Legolas Smile

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 29 2014, 8:42pm

Post #177 of 402 (27969 views)
Shortcut
     Is this seriously... [In reply to]  

... the only Hobbit premiere Lee has been to?

Such a pity. He needs to go to the TABA premieres! I need more of him! I need him to enjoy this and for us to enjoy him Sly And for him to see how loved he is! XD

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 8:53pm

Post #178 of 402 (27956 views)
Shortcut
     Now that everyone has seen DOS... [In reply to]  

I recon he will get screams of delight from all the ladies should he attend the premier of TABA, I just checked out top 10 hottest actors in Empire magazine I sure expect that to change when they publish the list for 2014.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 8:55pm

Post #179 of 402 (27969 views)
Shortcut
     Truly hope [In reply to]  

that Ian McKellen (wonderful actor as he is) will keep his big mouth shut in all those stupid interviews for the rest of the year.Frown

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 8:58pm

Post #180 of 402 (27948 views)
Shortcut
     you mean.. [In reply to]  

..that interview by Ian McKellen from that german magazine .. If so, I totally agree

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 9:18pm

Post #181 of 402 (27966 views)
Shortcut
     I couldn't agree more... [In reply to]  

I mean, what was up with that? Unimpressed

In Reply To
that Ian McKellen (wonderful actor as he is) will keep his big mouth shut in all those stupid interviews for the rest of the year.Frown

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 9:22pm

Post #182 of 402 (27937 views)
Shortcut
     This....is....great! [In reply to]  

Thank you!

In Reply To
hihi .. there's another one for the junkie's (myself included)

I just looove the smile

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 9:23pm

Post #183 of 402 (27900 views)
Shortcut
     I am a Thraundil thrall too [In reply to]  

Lee Pace was AWESOME and I hope to see more of him in the Extended Edition. Perfect casting and way too handsome... Smile

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 9:24pm

Post #184 of 402 (27962 views)
Shortcut
     Elvish never sounded so good... [In reply to]  

As others noted, he speaks to Tauriel in Elvish during the Orc interrogation scene bu...it...wasn't...enough! I'm hoping he speaks a lot more Elvish during TABA....okay, seriously I just hope he speaks a lot. Period.

In Reply To
His voice over on the trailer was very sensual in a way. I got all tingly listening to him say "Where does your journey end?".

I just read an old interview here http://leepace.net/press-archive/articles/2013-2/the-hobbits-clash-of-the-kings where Lee Pace says:

"The scenes in Elvish were incredibly difficult because we had to learn a completely new language. I’d hate to see the out-takes from those scenes,” he laughs."

Wait what?! What scenes in Elvish? Did I miss something (having only seen DoS twice...yes I hang my head in shame)? Or will Thranduil speak in Elvish in TABA? Oh please let that happen!

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 9:26pm

Post #185 of 402 (28097 views)
Shortcut
     Quite Agree - A mention of Thraundil being at the Battle of the Last Alliance [In reply to]  

- and losing his father there would be awesome.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 9:26pm

Post #186 of 402 (27890 views)
Shortcut
     More thralls... [In reply to]  

Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron, Roheryn*, Thranderz, CathrineB, Bernhardina, hobbitylass, Thranduiliel, Nimloth, vanima ephel, Fionniel, Nesse, Kerewyn, ltnjmy, (anyone else)?

*Also loves Thorin as in channeling Bella Swan / Katniss Everdeen and up for a love triangle. Wink

THRANDUIL RULES!!! Heart Heart Heart

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 29 2014, 9:27pm)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 9:28pm

Post #187 of 402 (27962 views)
Shortcut
     horrible horrible pieces of c***p [In reply to]  

Well, it seems that (God, I'm so angry)...
as two good and dear friends, RA and LP hung around in New York, going to the cinema or enjoying a dinner with friends (young kids included, there was also the cutest picture ever around a table) and guess what he said??

He stated also (maybe as an expert, I don't know) that there are three gay actors among the dwarves, one openly, the other two closeted.
You can imagine the "guess who" game... the one who played a gay man??? (Dean O'Gorman)
And there's more to come: even Bard...
I was horrified because private life is private and if someone decides not to flaunt it with a string of high-profile relationships and no substance, you must respect him, not speculate if he is gay or notFrown

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 9:30pm

Post #188 of 402 (27934 views)
Shortcut
     One of my favorite pics.... [In reply to]  

...he conveys so much emotion with his expressions.

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 11:09pm

Post #189 of 402 (27914 views)
Shortcut
     What?! [In reply to]  

I'm so glad I didn't read that interview. Horrible!

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 30 2014, 12:15am

Post #190 of 402 (27894 views)
Shortcut
     Yes, the expressions! [In reply to]  

I love Thranduil’s expression when he says “I can wait”. So loaded, the words and the look.

I find myself coming back constantly to watch that little clip of the hairbrush passing through his hair. Just that one little movement, over and over…

I remember someone on another thread (one of you?) wondering if Thranduil has a team of staff to wash and dress him each morning. This I like to think about. I guess there would be a servant to attend to him in a special elegant bath or pool, either washing him or maybe just sit by and hand him soaps, towel etc. There’d be someone to helping to robe him, and someone to comb his hair. Would he have one trusted servant, or a different person for each role? Would he sleep with his bling on, or would the most trusted attendant watch over these in a special box?

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 30 2014, 12:47am

Post #191 of 402 (27872 views)
Shortcut
     This one? [In reply to]  

I imagine he has a "Lindir" or one trusted associate/servant. I see him as a private King and therefore he wouldn't want an entourage following him to and fro. He must keep his bling in his private chambers, which are guarded by those scary looking elves in armor.

"I can wait..."

In Reply To
I love Thranduil’s expression when he says “I can wait”. So loaded, the words and the look.

I find myself coming back constantly to watch that little clip of the hairbrush passing through his hair. Just that one little movement, over and over…

I remember someone on another thread (one of you?) wondering if Thranduil has a team of staff to wash and dress him each morning. This I like to think about. I guess there would be a servant to attend to him in a special elegant bath or pool, either washing him or maybe just sit by and hand him soaps, towel etc. There’d be someone to helping to robe him, and someone to comb his hair. Would he have one trusted servant, or a different person for each role? Would he sleep with his bling on, or would the most trusted attendant watch over these in a special box?

CathrineB
Rohan

Jan 30 2014, 1:15am

Post #192 of 402 (27844 views)
Shortcut
     why rowan... [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I imagine he has a "Lindir" or one trusted associate/servant. I see him as a private King and therefore he wouldn't want an entourage following him to and fro. He must keep his bling in his private chambers, which are guarded by those scary looking elves in armor.

"I can wait..."

In Reply To

Are you trying to kill us? XD

I love that clip too. Damn. The way his brows furrow and damn the intensity!

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 30 2014, 1:29am

Post #193 of 402 (27860 views)
Shortcut
     Not a bad way to go out! LOL [In reply to]  

My computer background is a Thranduil collage, which I swap out ever so many days. I never tire of looking at it. In fact, I spend far too much time staring at my screen while accomplishing nothing.

What gets me are the reviewers who described his performance as "campy" among other things. Gggrrr.... I was like, Huh? For serious? I never saw anything remotely "campy" even after 3 viewings. Not at all! (I decided those reviewers were men and jealous of Thranduil's numerous attributes.) Laugh

Thranduil says "whatever" to those guys.

In Reply To

"I can wait..."

In Reply To
Are you trying to kill us? XD

I love that clip too. Damn. The way his brows furrow and damn the intensity!

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 30 2014, 1:33am)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 30 2014, 3:14am

Post #194 of 402 (27824 views)
Shortcut
     Well, [In reply to]  

I find him very camp, and totally fabulous.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 30 2014, 3:36am

Post #195 of 402 (27867 views)
Shortcut
     Actually, [In reply to]  

he said two of the dwarf actors were gay. Adam Brown is out, so that leaves one person who I suppose people could speculate about if they like doing that kind of thing. (Which seems to be what you are actually doing in your post.)
'Even Bard?' Luke Evans has been out since 2002, so that is no news.

The things Ian McKellen said also need to be taken in the context of the interview, in which he was specifically asked about what it was like for him as an openly gay actor filming The Hobbit, compared to when he was filming LOTR, ie: have things changed. He was pointing out that yes, they have. And yes, he may know things about other actors that we don't know. And yes, he may have slipped up and revealed information about someone when he possibly shouldn't have. I would give him the benefit of the doubt in this because of his exemplary track record in supporting gay actors, and for being a brave role model in a world that still sees being gay as something less than ideal.
He was making a positive statement.

I don't quite understand the outraged tone of your post.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2014, 10:32am

Post #196 of 402 (27826 views)
Shortcut
     Why be so upset? [In reply to]  

Sure, private life is private. But in an ideal world (yes, I can dream) we'd all greet the news that someone is gay with a yawn, and a "That's nice; how's the weather?" It ought to be about as interesting as whether someone has light brown or dark brown hair. Actors most certainly have a right to privacy, but when we (accidentally or otherwise) discover something about them that perhaps they'd rather have kept private, we still ought to greet that revelation with quiet politeness and move on to something else. If we get incensed about the revelation -- even if we're incensed not about what was revealed but about the fact that it was revealed in the first place -- we're just perpetrating the problem, in the long run. That someone is gay (ideally, of course) -- especially when it's someone we'll probably never meet -- just ought to be a non-issue. More power to 'em!

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 30 2014, 10:57am

Post #197 of 402 (27852 views)
Shortcut
     And back to Thranduil and how fabulous he is.... [In reply to]  

I *hope* we get the Bilbo/Thranduil scenes from the book in TABA--Bilbo presenting the Arkenstone to Bard/Thranduil and Thranduil imploring him to stay with them for his safety... Bilbo choosing to fight with th elves during the Bo5A because he found Thranduil to be noble and just.... Bilbo presenting Thranduil with the white gem necklace in payment for his (unknown) hospitality, etc.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jan 30 2014, 12:18pm

Post #198 of 402 (27819 views)
Shortcut
     (*looks around*) I am not in my usual Fan thread but... [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Sure, private life is private. But in an ideal world (yes, I can dream) we'd all greet the news that someone is gay with a yawn, and a "That's nice; how's the weather?" It ought to be about as interesting as whether someone has light brown or dark brown hair. Actors most certainly have a right to privacy, but when we (accidentally or otherwise) discover something about them that perhaps they'd rather have kept private, we still ought to greet that revelation with quiet politeness and move on to something else. If we get incensed about the revelation -- even if we're incensed not about what was revealed but about the fact that it was revealed in the first place -- we're just perpetrating the problem, in the long run. That someone is gay (ideally, of course) -- especially when it's someone we'll probably never meet -- just ought to be a non-issue. More power to 'em!

(Just wanted to agree with above.)
And you have all posted some amazing pictures of Lee. Nicely done!

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room in April, 2014. We hope to see you there!

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 30 2014, 2:13pm

Post #199 of 402 (27774 views)
Shortcut
     In the top picture [In reply to]  

Thranduil's expression is much like mine was when I first heard his voice in the trailer...and the rest is history!

He also looks like it has only just dawned on him just how fabulous he is! Cool

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 30 2014, 2:21pm

Post #200 of 402 (27762 views)
Shortcut
     Fabulous Thranduil [In reply to]  

RG that pic you posted makes my want to run my fingers through his hair. Blush

In Reply To

I *hope* we get the Bilbo/Thranduil scenes from the book in TABA--Bilbo presenting the Arkenstone to Bard/Thranduil and Thranduil imploring him to stay with them for his safety... Bilbo choosing to fight with th elves during the Bo5A because he found Thranduil to be noble and just.... Bilbo presenting Thranduil with the white gem necklace in payment for his (unknown) hospitality, etc.

Me too. I want to see all of this and more!

First page Previous page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.