The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit speculation on MSN

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Mar 4 2007, 2:58am

Post #1 of 13 (10581 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit speculation on MSN Can't Post

Just saw a bit about The Hobbit on MSN. If you scroll to the entertainment section, they have an article called 10 best Hollywood movie rumors. If you click on the More Movie Rumors to Ponder continuation, the last of the 10 rumors addresed is the Sam Raimi to direct The Hobbit speculation. The article suggests that Raimi would probably decline if he didn't personally get Peter Jackson's blessing because he would be extremely reluctant to stir up bad feelings between them.

Nothing more to it than that, but I thought it was an interesting little tidbit. I wonder how many other directors would or will decline considering the public knowledge that Jackson wants first shot.

White Gull
Lorien

Mar 4 2007, 3:09am

Post #2 of 13 (8200 views)
Shortcut
Don't you wish... [In reply to] Can't Post

every director would?

WG

Patty
Immortal

Mar 4 2007, 3:25am

Post #3 of 13 (8200 views)
Shortcut
Frankly, yes. I wish they all would. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I suppose that's unfair to the folks that want to see other hands take this on.

The love of money IS the root of all evil.

Welcome to Rivendell, Patty Baggins

hatster
Rohan

Mar 4 2007, 3:58am

Post #4 of 13 (8167 views)
Shortcut
no more unfair to hope that than it would be [In reply to] Can't Post

for those folks to hope that NewLine doesn't straighten it out...which many have said as much

Soooo I'm with you..here's wishing all other directors would do the same

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2007, 10:14am

Post #5 of 13 (8192 views)
Shortcut
like stepping in a mine field [In reply to] Can't Post

that not only would they be concerned with getting blessings, but also...Newline has domonstrated how untrustworthy they are to enter into contract with. I suspect Newline will be hard pressed to get any director after the controversy. It would be like stepping in a mine field.

Websites Directory, my drawings, Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 4 2007, 1:55pm

Post #6 of 13 (8194 views)
Shortcut
*twitch* I SO agree with all of you... [In reply to] Can't Post

it would be wonderful if the directors were at least respectful of each others' works/territory... and I do consider The Hobbit and it's sequel to be Peter Jackson's territory. I still hold out hope that New Line will come around. I honestly can't believe everyone who has a voice in the decision are in total agreement with Shaye. But it's hopeful and encouraging to know that MGM isn't sitting by placidly waiting to see what happens.

I know there are others who would prefer to see someone else handle these new films... time will tell. But for me, it'd be like Sam believing Frodo should be able to stay and enjoy the Shire after everything he'd been through to achieve the Quest. After what not only Peter went through, but everyone who sacrificed and created so much to give us The Lord of the Rings, it just wouldn't seem right.

Thanks for finding this article, Kelly. Rami's hesitation just increased my respect for him.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

fmaximus
Rivendell

Mar 4 2007, 4:20pm

Post #7 of 13 (8185 views)
Shortcut
James Cameron is one example... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that directors stick together.
James Cameron (a very respected director), said that audits are common practice in the film industry, and that New Line refuses to allow one only adds to the speculation that they have something to hide. New Line's refusal to have an audit done might also deter any future directors to take over the helm of the Hobbit, because the same thing could happen to them. So I wouldn't blame Raimi for having second thoughts.

On a side note... Peter Jackson wasn't the only one to sue New Line over the LOTR trilogy. Saul Zaentz, owner of Tolkien Ent. won a lawsuit in which New Line owed him about 20 million dollars.

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 4 2007, 4:23pm

Post #8 of 13 (8198 views)
Shortcut
There is a big article in the new 'Premiere' magazine about this. [In reply to] Can't Post

The article tries not to take sides, but it does seem to favor PJ and his ongoing struggle to get films made outside of the 'Hollywood Machine'.

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Mar 4 2007, 4:57pm

Post #9 of 13 (8245 views)
Shortcut
that's where I blame NL the most.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Aside, of course, from the fact that I SO want PJ to direct The Hobbit! My main issue with NL is that, according to an article I read, it was in the contract PJ et al had that they had the right to request an audit should they so desire. This is, I believe, standard practice in the film industry. So even if NL believe they DON'T owe PJ money, that they should block the audit is VERY suspicious. The answer should just be, 'Fine, you have a right to an audit, and we believe it will show we don't owe you money, so let's go ahead.' Then the decision is made and the matter is swiftly and (relatively) painlessly resolved. Instead, NL won't agree to the audit and then, when PJ understandably says he wouldn't feel right making a film with a company with whom he still had this ongoing battle, and anyway NL threaten him that they won't LET him do it if he won't agree to drop the claim, Shaye starts calling PJ names and generally behaving like an egotistical old (censored - family board!).

That's as I understand it, anyway - and if I were a movie director I would be wary of ending up in a similar position with NL. And if my interpretation of events is correct, then I would think even those LotR fans who would like to see a different director have a go at The Hobbit must surely disapprove of the way NL have behaved.

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2007, 7:13pm

Post #10 of 13 (8109 views)
Shortcut
*cheers & claps* Amen to that...I applaud every word, / [In reply to] Can't Post

Websites Directory, my drawings, Aloha & Mahalo

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5 2007, 3:09pm

Post #11 of 13 (8058 views)
Shortcut
Right on! / [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Nessa Inglorion
The Shire

Mar 7 2007, 4:20am

Post #12 of 13 (8114 views)
Shortcut
link 2 online article, whole article is in the hard copy magazine [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.premiere.com/features/3522/peter-jackson-vs-new-line.html

Nessa Inglorion
The Shire

Mar 7 2007, 4:27am

Post #13 of 13 (10720 views)
Shortcut
Soooooo agree!!! (Empty) [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.