Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 10:19pm

Post #151 of 402 (28358 views)
Shortcut
     hair [In reply to]  

like that? xD

and that one please the other way round :D

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 10:26pm

Post #152 of 402 (28311 views)
Shortcut
     Oh, YES!! [In reply to]  

Just like that.... Can you imagine?!! Heart

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 10:28pm

Post #153 of 402 (28315 views)
Shortcut
     think of the makeup girl [In reply to]  

who spent every day more than 2 hours with Thorin....Heart

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 10:34pm

Post #154 of 402 (28290 views)
Shortcut
     Costumes [In reply to]  

I hope that costumes and props from The Hobbit go on a museum tour like the LOTR items did. I went to see the LOTR exhibit in Boston back in the day and just about drooled all over everything. Angelic I remember seeing Legolas' costume and thinking "gosh this guy is skinny!".

Seeing Thranduil's various robes, cloaks, crowns and weapons would just about do me in. I want to sit on Thranduil's lap antlered throne!Evil

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Jan 28 2014, 10:35pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 11:02pm

Post #155 of 402 (28318 views)
Shortcut
     I wonder what Thranduil is like when he interacts with humans? [In reply to]  

We've seen how he acts around his own people and we've seen how he acts around people he hates (dwarves) but Lake-Town will be the first elf/human interaction in the whole Hobbit trilogy if I'm not mistaken. I wonder how they will portrait the relationship between the elves of Mirkwood and the people of Lake-Town? Will they friendly towards one another or indifferent?

I remember in the book the Master was afraid to do anything that would make an enemy of the Elvenking because he was their ally and they had a good trade with his people. Come to think of it, we know Bard and Legolas interact and it's pretty much guaranteed Bard and Thranduil will interact but I wonder if the Master and Thranduil will ever be on screen together. The sharp contrast of personalities could be quite interesting IMO. I just don't see Thranduil having much tolerance for a sniveling and slimy brownnoser like the Master.

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Jan 28 2014, 11:04pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 28 2014, 11:04pm

Post #156 of 402 (28282 views)
Shortcut
     Yup. [In reply to]  

Being a costumer and wardrobe mistress is particularly interesting when one of the cast members is a brainy, flirty, handsome studmuffin who seems to enjoy stripping down to his designer unmentionables. I did makeup, too. Oh, the stories I could have told some future wives! ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 1:24am

Post #157 of 402 (28254 views)
Shortcut
     I predict... [In reply to]  

...he's respectful but still a bit haughty. (He is Thranduil, after all.) Somehow, I think he and Bard will interact much like Legolas and Aragorn did in LoTR. I think the Mirkwood elves overall will be casual-friendly towards the Lake-towners as they are in the book (due to the constant interaction via trade). Maybe more businesslike than friendly but cordial.

I can't wait to see Thranduil interact with Gandalf prior to the Bo5A, and also Bilbo. In the book, he seems quite amazed by the little Hobbit and his actions. For me, those will be pivotal scenes in TABA. Martin Freeman won't disappoint and those two actors just seem like they'll have good screen chemistry.

Just thinking about Thranduil standing next to--much less interacting with--that slimy Master and/or Alfrid makes me laugh. Can you imagine? Talk about an odd pair. The Master would be so envious of Thranduil's lovely hair (among other things).

We have so much to look forward to!

In Reply To
We've seen how he acts around his own people and we've seen how he acts around people he hates (dwarves) but Lake-Town will be the first elf/human interaction in the whole Hobbit trilogy if I'm not mistaken. I wonder how they will portrait the relationship between the elves of Mirkwood and the people of Lake-Town? Will they friendly towards one another or indifferent?

I remember in the book the Master was afraid to do anything that would make an enemy of the Elvenking because he was their ally and they had a good trade with his people. Come to think of it, we know Bard and Legolas interact and it's pretty much guaranteed Bard and Thranduil will interact but I wonder if the Master and Thranduil will ever be on screen together. The sharp contrast of personalities could be quite interesting IMO. I just don't see Thranduil having much tolerance for a sniveling and slimy brownnoser like the Master.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 1:40am

Post #158 of 402 (28267 views)
Shortcut
     Good night, fellow Thralls! [In reply to]  

You've gotta love a man who loves dogs!
“I find that the best way into [acting successfully] is to open my heart up to it and allow it to be as truthful and honest as I can be, and I can make it. It’s hard to do that; it’s hard to open yourself up to something.”
- Lee Pace

And some Thranduil:

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 29 2014, 1:45am)

Thyia
Bree

Jan 29 2014, 2:49am

Post #159 of 402 (28268 views)
Shortcut
     I haven't drooled in here yet... [In reply to]  

... But I must say that I'm looking very forward to seeing the Elvenking in his fabulous looking armour trouncing whomever gets in his way. Well, that, and listening to anything he has to say. Especially when he's ticked off. And especially to Thorin. The man has such a great voice. And hands. Really nice hands.

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 6:45am

Post #160 of 402 (28232 views)
Shortcut
     the dog pic [In reply to]  

..i just love love the first photo. to be with a dog on the beach is just so soothing for the soul and one can really see it on the photo.. it's also what i feel when i am out with mine

and i love dogs :D awww.. it's some sort of pointer?

anyway.

good morning :D i am off to walk the dog and to work.. with nice Images in my mind Laugh

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 29 2014, 10:30am

Post #161 of 402 (28219 views)
Shortcut
     I just love... [In reply to]  

...how regal and in character Lee Pace still looks even when he's just being fluffed up, and not even acting in a scene.

So many wonderful pics/gifs etc. on this thread - thanks to all for this top quality Thranduil material. Pure heaven! Cool

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 29 2014, 10:44am

Post #162 of 402 (28196 views)
Shortcut
     I'm drowning in my own drool here. [In reply to]  

Lee Pace does indeed have a great voice - so beautifully rich, deep and resonant. And yes, he has lovely hands too. I suspect Thranduil spends a great deal of time at "Mirkwood Manicures"! Wink

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 11:12am

Post #163 of 402 (28206 views)
Shortcut
     Yes....English Pointer! [In reply to]  

Men who love dogs rule! He said he prefers to hang out with Carl v. attending premieres, parties, and award shows. Good man....

I used to love hitting the beach with my dogs too. You're so right in that it soothes the soul and clears the head. Now I don't live close enough so we hit the trails--also fun!

From his page:

He also loves sky diving and traveling. Lee has a dog (English Pointer) named Carl, who he states is the most awesome thing in his life.

http://leepace.net/information/biography

In Reply To
..i just love love the first photo. to be with a dog on the beach is just so soothing for the soul and one can really see it on the photo.. it's also what i feel when i am out with mine

and i love dogs :D awww.. it's some sort of pointer?

anyway.

good morning :D i am off to walk the dog and to work.. with nice Images in my mind Laugh

Kerewyn
Rohan

Jan 29 2014, 11:21am

Post #164 of 402 (28206 views)
Shortcut
     I am loving this thread (my new home) [In reply to]  

Oh thank you SO much for making this thread! I am actually de-lurking (like a few others) to say this, and would love to be added to Thranduil's Thralls :)

Not a newbie actually. I registered with TORn years ago, was pretty active here around the LOTR releases, but have just been here briefly of late. Reading, not saying much. Hoping for some kind of thread like this. I remember the old-style forum with popular threads like 'Estrogen Island', where a mature fangirl like me could swap pics in an environment where other peeps 'get' you.

When I first saw Thranduil's eyes in the DoS trailer, I had my own little Figwit - or rather Bigwit - moment (Bilbo is great - WHO is THAT??!!)
Coz yeah, I barely remembered Thranduil's very brief appearance in AUJ. I know, right? How could I not?? Probably I was too busy checking Bilbo for Tookishness. Pippin was my favourite LOTR character and I was more into hobbits in general. Never much of an Elf fancier, apart from a brief girl-crush on Arwen.
That has all changed.

So Lee Pace. Amazing. Stunning. I hadn't seen any of his back catalogue - I don't know if Pushing Daisies ever played in Australia - but you can bet I got hold of it quick smart and am currently enjoying. I can see how Lee's often worried expression as Ned translates beautifully to Thranduil's hurt/wounded look with extra intensity. I could hang that on my wall.

Anyway suddenly my interest in the entire elven race has picked up - funny that. I haven't done a lot of the reading that many of you have, but I think I could probably push on through the Sil now (I only made it halfway, several years ago)

Some beautiful pics here, and amazing links to wonderful fan art. Let's keep this thread alive.

I wish I was better at drawing. I love the little 'behind the scenes' bit here from 7:00 to 7:41 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcIN15WqeRE
including the jacuzzi jokes. It gives me an idea for some fan art....

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

(This post was edited by Kerewyn on Jan 29 2014, 11:22am)

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 1:18pm

Post #165 of 402 (28149 views)
Shortcut
     Yay more Thranduil Thralls! [In reply to]  

My best friend is a hobbit fancier but with The Hobbit she really got into Elrond. I think it was the gorgeous armor! I can't wait to see what she will think after seeing Thranduil in armor in Bo5A. I've always been an elf fancier myself and what a magnificent specimen of elf-dom (haha, is that even a word?) is Thranduil!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 29 2014, 1:40pm

Post #166 of 402 (28189 views)
Shortcut
     From a Thorin Thrall [In reply to]  

Thanks so much for all the lovely pictures. Love the one with the hound – from my experience, men who love dogs are decent fellows in general. (That's from someone who has a sibling who rescues dogs – and others – though she only has about seven dogs now, most of 'em small exotics apart from one gorgeous lurcher.)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 1:56pm

Post #167 of 402 (28181 views)
Shortcut
     Rescue... [In reply to]  

I'm involved in poodle rescue--highly rewarding. I've personally had three rescues thus far (two seniors and one retired stud dog). I'd love to foster but not sure I could give them up (plus I work full time) so I prefer coordinating and donating, etc.

Kudos to your sibling!

In Reply To
Thanks so much for all the lovely pictures. Love the one with the hound – from my experience, men who love dogs are decent fellows in general. (That's from someone who has a sibling who rescues dogs – and others – though she only has about seven dogs now, most of 'em small exotics apart from one gorgeous lurcher.)

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 29 2014, 1:58pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 29 2014, 2:02pm

Post #168 of 402 (28147 views)
Shortcut
     Poodles [In reply to]  

She used to have up to about 27 dogs at one time – this while working as a book illustrator! I think 'even' seven is a lot. She did have one toy poodle, which lived for a very long time (into its twenties) – it was a very loving little dog, though in the UK it's a breed that has gone out of fashion.

In Reply To
I'm involved in poodle rescue--highly rewarding. I've personally had three rescues thus far (two seniors and one retired stud dog). I'd love to foster but not sure I could give them up (plus I work full time) so I prefer coordinating and donating, etc.

Kudos to your sibling!

In Reply To

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 3:53pm

Post #169 of 402 (28145 views)
Shortcut
     I hadn't seen that blog before... [In reply to]  

couldn't help but LOL at some of it. Thanks for posting it Smile

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 29 2014, 4:04pm

Post #170 of 402 (28156 views)
Shortcut
     THRAN-DROOL! [In reply to]  

I feel like such an addict having to get my daily fix by logging into this thread in order to see him in all his glory. The pictures that have been posted are awesome so please don't stop posting them. I've never looked forward to anything as much as I'm looking forward to TABA.

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 5:11pm

Post #171 of 402 (28132 views)
Shortcut
     daily dose [In reply to]  

hihi .. there's another one for the junkie's (myself included)

I just looove the smile

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 5:18pm

Post #172 of 402 (28149 views)
Shortcut
     How did I miss this one? [In reply to]  

Look at how adorable Lee is flicking his robe with his leg! Heart Thanks for posting that one!

In Reply To
hihi .. there's another one for the junkie's (myself included)

I just looove the smile

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Jan 29 2014, 5:18pm)

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 5:20pm

Post #173 of 402 (28122 views)
Shortcut
     no idea.. [In reply to]  

probably it's pretty new.. I've never seen it on tumblr or somewhere else before, it just appeared on my dash today .. and hell yes! it's gorgeous. The robe, the smile.. awww.. *drools*

(This post was edited by CurseOfFeanor on Jan 29 2014, 5:21pm)

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 6:19pm

Post #174 of 402 (28169 views)
Shortcut
     Elvish! [In reply to]  

His voice over on the trailer was very sensual in a way. I got all tingly listening to him say "Where does your journey end?".

I just read an old interview here http://leepace.net/press-archive/articles/2013-2/the-hobbits-clash-of-the-kings where Lee Pace says:

"The scenes in Elvish were incredibly difficult because we had to learn a completely new language. I’d hate to see the out-takes from those scenes,” he laughs."

Wait what?! What scenes in Elvish? Did I miss something (having only seen DoS twice...yes I hang my head in shame)? Or will Thranduil speak in Elvish in TABA? Oh please let that happen!

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 29 2014, 6:37pm

Post #175 of 402 (28164 views)
Shortcut
     elvish [In reply to]  

In Reply To
"The scenes in Elvish were incredibly difficult because we had to learn a completely new language. I’d hate to see the out-takes from those scenes,” he laughs."

Wait what?! What scenes in Elvish? Did I miss something (having only seen DoS twice...yes I hang my head in shame)? Or will Thranduil speak in Elvish in TABA? Oh please let that happen!

Thanks for posting, didn't know that :D

Well, he speaks to Tauriel during the interrogation scene in elvish, but that's not a lot, only a word + a sentence.
Probably it's from this B-roll scene speaking with Legolas? I mean, it would make sense that they do not use the common tongue when they are together on their own ... and Legolas also speaks with Tauriel in Elvish (and she replies in the common tongue iirc)

Aww.. i'm looking more and more and more forward to EE & TABA

First page Previous page 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.