Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 6:03pm

Post #126 of 402 (33557 views)
Shortcut
     The gorgeous Lee Pace! [In reply to]  

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 28 2014, 6:04pm)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 6:18pm

Post #127 of 402 (33532 views)
Shortcut
     costume tripping [In reply to]  

Well, I think it is when they talk about the London scenes with Saruman and Pj recalls how Christopher Lee kept on tripping on Saruman's robes, adding (and a few images are also shown) that the same thing happened to Lee Pace with Thranduil's costume. I haven't double-checked it though but I'm pretty sure.Wink

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 6:25pm

Post #128 of 402 (33529 views)
Shortcut
     Tripping... [In reply to]  

http://leepaceodyssey.tumblr.com/page/3

"Ask me what has been the biggest challenge in playing this role and I’d have to say it’s been walking up the stairs to my throne in the gold robe. I don’t think that there is a single take where I’m not treading on it and falling over. It is less than impressive when you are trying to look calm and regal and you keep tripping on your frock!"
— Lee Pace on Thranduil, Desolation of Smaug Official Movie Guide (via f-ili)

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 6:26pm

Post #129 of 402 (33532 views)
Shortcut
     Flails [In reply to]  

I think you're trying to kill me RG. *faints*

From the 2014 calendar:

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 6:30pm

Post #130 of 402 (33518 views)
Shortcut
     Two gorgeous fellas - irresistible! [In reply to]  

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 6:37pm

Post #131 of 402 (33494 views)
Shortcut
     The cape fling... [In reply to]  

Anyone else notice he's not wearing his crown and is also wearing something different under the robe (like another shorter tunic)? Hhhhmmmm...
No sign of that tunic in other shots where he's wearing the same ensemble. (Not that I'm looking that closely or anything. Ahem.)
Best shots are in the vid clip--no short tunic under the silver/gold robe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49FqUCuoqFc

In Reply To

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 28 2014, 6:55pm

Post #132 of 402 (33489 views)
Shortcut
     Wow - when you think about it [In reply to]  

"Your kingdom is under attack, there's a dragon hanging out in Erebor, and you're wasting time on this nonsense!" Aaaarrgggghhhhhh..... Crazy I feel like they wasted such a great opportunity."

It reminds me of the LOTR line "these hobbits will sit on the edge of ruin, and discuss the doings of their ancestors, and the pleasures of the table...." etc. Not an exact quote but it's amusing. But those are HOBBITS.

*Sigh* Nothing else for it, unless there are EE scenes w. Legolas and Thranduil - after all, a fairly big deal was made about Gandalf meeting Thrain (RA said so much was cut) and that was just not there, at all. So there's some hope.

Unless the movie at that time is pacing things, e.g. the whole scene Thranduil seems to be quite confident, the dwarves are bottled up, he's sure "kingdoms will rise and fall" but his people will be secure. I guess that is what we are supposed to get from that scene, that it's Tauriel who is agitating about the growing darkness in the form of the spiders - but it's hard for me to believe that Legolas, who is also roaming around Mirkwood, hadn't noticed there's an issue as well. And I think that's a HOLE, that Legolas as well isn't shown saying - "well, you know Dad, things in the forest aren't what they were, every day that passes things seem worse, more dangerous...."

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 6:56pm

Post #133 of 402 (33480 views)
Shortcut
     <3 [In reply to]  

I really love this photo, it's just soooo gorgeous .. I would love to have HD screencaps of some scenes, especially of the interrogation scene to play around ..and: As much as I do appreaciate the crown.. it's a nightmare for photoshopping xD

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 28 2014, 7:00pm

Post #134 of 402 (33472 views)
Shortcut
     Maybe [In reply to]  

Fantasizing here - that's a scene where Thranduil finds out the dragon is aroused, and Tauriel AND his son have gone missing? I fantasize about that - seeing the Elf King in utter fury and getting ready to ride out to deal with things - think it would be epic and hark back to the "ride of the wild hunt" folklore. And Elf King in wrath. Prepare his "moose" - or horse maybe - and his armor!

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 7:01pm

Post #135 of 402 (33469 views)
Shortcut
     I love that one too! [In reply to]  

There are a lot of variations out there (background).... I prefer the B&W one. To think it came from a magazine shoot!

Empire mag image: http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/...aug_-_Forst_Page.jpg

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 28 2014, 7:10pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 28 2014, 7:06pm

Post #136 of 402 (33486 views)
Shortcut
     LOL like Christopher Lee commenting in the Appendices re his robes [In reply to]  

"This wardrobe is a *bleep* menace" - hysterical - but Mr. Pace, I'd say the same to RA when he commented about the heat of his costume - you guys look STUNNING. Just jaw-dropping. I am sorry you guys suffered under the lights, getting hurt, long hours but WOW. It's a wonder glass didn't shatter when you guys passed by - or the camera lens didn't crack.

And the sets didn't melt under your booted feet.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 7:27pm

Post #137 of 402 (33507 views)
Shortcut
     Can you imagine being on set with Pace dressed as Thranduil? [In reply to]  

I would,
a) forget my lines,
b) forget my name,
c) forget where I was,
d) forget where I was going, and
e) not care about any of the above!

It reminds me of how they had to ask him to leave the set when Amy Adams was filming her scenes in Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. Apparently, he distracted Adams so much she couldn't act out her scenes! LOL (Per interviews.)

In Reply To
"This wardrobe is a *bleep* menace" - hysterical - but Mr. Pace, I'd say the same to RA when he commented about the heat of his costume - you guys look STUNNING. Just jaw-dropping. I am sorry you guys suffered under the lights, getting hurt, long hours but WOW. It's a wonder glass didn't shatter when you guys passed by - or the camera lens didn't crack.

And the sets didn't melt under your booted feet.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 28 2014, 7:30pm

Post #138 of 402 (33455 views)
Shortcut
     This IMO makes absolute sense [In reply to]  

"I wouldn't mind Legolas aborting his chase after Bolg because he realizes Laketown needs protection and aid from the orcs (not to mention a dragon bearing down on them) and riding hard for Mirkwood to tell his father the men of the lake need help."

Tho I don't know if Thranduil would be THAT eager to assist men, as someone who as seen ages pass - this is a really interesting question? Personally I don't think Thranduil would care, really, if Laketown got torched, BUT Tauriel is there. So assuming Legolas sees the dragon in the sky, would he not turn all the way around to help her? And Thranduil just knows the dragon is on the move, and then realizes Legolas and Tauriel are gone, and that's what gets Thranduil into things?

Most of all, I didn't want Legolas to end up at Dol Guldur, which to me is stretching things re having Legolas in every battle.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 28 2014, 7:38pm

Post #139 of 402 (33514 views)
Shortcut
     LP gets last laugh tho... [In reply to]  

"He truly immersed himself in the character and he certainly mastered the elven movements. It was beautifully done. That's why I get so irritated when he's overlooked in reviews and interviews, etc."

Round the Internet there is a wave of approval, for not that much (not enough) screen time. I also wonder that (like the dwarves and MF were all this past summer) there's a real reason LP is kept off the grid, pretty much, re interviews. I already believe that PJ & co. are well aware of the impact LP has had - the question is, will the editing of TABA give the people what they want, e.g. lots of Thranduil?

For instance, (and Tolkien experts can weigh in here) just how long is Dol Guldur supposed to take, assuming the Lothlorien elves rescue Gandalf? That could happen pretty fast, considering Dol Guldur has been emptied. E.g., lots of screen time for Thranduil.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 7:41pm

Post #140 of 402 (33450 views)
Shortcut
     I predict... [In reply to]  

Legolas will ride back to Lake-town after Smaug's demise, note that he's dead and the town has been demolished, and ride home to tell his father the news. That's when Thranduil will march on Erebor.

If I have the timing correct, Smaug leaves Erebor around the same time Legolas sets off after Bolg. So he'll either see Smaug in flight and get back before he's killed or will get back after he's killed. Either way, he has news for Dad--the dragon is dead! So then he rides home (hopefully without Tauriel) to fill his father in and they set out for Erebor. (Of course en route, Bard asks Thranduil for aid and he complies before they all--elves and men--continue on to Erebor.)

In Reply To
"I wouldn't mind Legolas aborting his chase after Bolg because he realizes Laketown needs protection and aid from the orcs (not to mention a dragon bearing down on them) and riding hard for Mirkwood to tell his father the men of the lake need help."

Tho I don't know if Thranduil would be THAT eager to assist men, as someone who as seen ages pass - this is a really interesting question? Personally I don't think Thranduil would care, really, if Laketown got torched, BUT Tauriel is there. So assuming Legolas sees the dragon in the sky, would he not turn all the way around to help her? And Thranduil just knows the dragon is on the move, and then realizes Legolas and Tauriel are gone, and that's what gets Thranduil into things?

Most of all, I didn't want Legolas to end up at Dol Guldur, which to me is stretching things re having Legolas in every battle.

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 28 2014, 7:41pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 28 2014, 7:48pm

Post #141 of 402 (33470 views)
Shortcut
     No, I can't [In reply to]  

As a Thorin fan at times I've idly wondered how the women on the crew could FUNCTION. And now Thranduil too. How are these people so CALM about it all? The voice work alone freezes me in my tracks "other lands are not my concern" - purr, purr. Of course, I'd have to be professional and all that - but I've noticed nobody ever bothers someone who is cleaning, especially if you look tired w. messy hair and have some rags and spray bottles.

So I'd be hanging around, sneaking around set pieces, "excuse me, I just have to get this spot off the floor......" That spot on the floor would have been REALLY CLEAN if I had been hanging around during the now-famous T & T scene.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 7:50pm

Post #142 of 402 (33482 views)
Shortcut
     And of course.... [In reply to]  

...that "spot" would be right next to Thranduil's perfectly shined boot. LOL

In Reply To
As a Thorin fan at times I've idly wondered how the women on the crew could FUNCTION. And now Thranduil too. How are these people so CALM about it all? The voice work alone freezes me in my tracks "other lands are not my concern" - purr, purr. Of course, I'd have to be professional and all that - but I've noticed nobody ever bothers someone who is cleaning, especially if you look tired w. messy hair and have some rags and spray bottles.

So I'd be hanging around, sneaking around set pieces, "excuse me, I just have to get this spot off the floor......" That spot on the floor would have been REALLY CLEAN if I had been hanging around during the now-famous T & T scene.

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 9:24pm

Post #143 of 402 (33448 views)
Shortcut
     Wardrobe mistress [In reply to]  

Of if you're in charge of Lee Pace's wardrobe where you constantly have to fluff or fix or what have you...having done costumes in my equity-waiver theater days I was always having to touch the actors. Smile

ETA: oh! I'm in Bree!

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Jan 28 2014, 9:25pm)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 9:36pm

Post #144 of 402 (33446 views)
Shortcut
     I volunteer... [In reply to]  

To brush out his hair before and between takes. I have a Thranduil hair obsession!

You need to get out of Bree. Lots of shifty characters and it's always raining. Tongue

In Reply To
Of if you're in charge of Lee Pace's wardrobe where you constantly have to fluff or fix or what have you...having done costumes in my equity-waiver theater days I was always having to touch the actors. Smile

ETA: oh! I'm in Bree!

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 28 2014, 9:37pm)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 9:41pm

Post #145 of 402 (33415 views)
Shortcut
     to keep elven hair in order [In reply to]  

during on-set-breaks they put it in stocking-like hairnets. Probably Rowan Greene would volunteer to brush Thranduil's hair after taking the hairnet off.Heart
Have you noticed that all the costume and makeup assistants always seem to be standing on boxes when the have to fix Lee Pace?Angelic

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 9:50pm

Post #146 of 402 (33424 views)
Shortcut
     LOL.... [In reply to]  

"...to fix Lee Pace..." Okay, that reminded me of dogs and neutering. (Sorry!)

Lee Pace is perfect and requires no fixing. Wink But he's a tall guy--I think he's 6'3". He makes his costars look tiny.

In Reply To
during on-set-breaks they put it in stocking-like hairnets. Probably Rowan Greene would volunteer to brush Thranduil's hair after taking the hairnet off.Heart
Have you noticed that all the costume and makeup assistants always seem to be standing on boxes when the have to fix Lee Pace?Angelic

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 9:55pm

Post #147 of 402 (33403 views)
Shortcut
     yes, of course! [In reply to]  

No real fixing, but just a bit of finishing touches.
By the way, according to IMDB he's really 6'3 and that would have made him the only actor taller than Prince William at the London Premiere of AUJ had he been there - but unfortunately he wasn'tFrown

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 28 2014, 9:59pm

Post #148 of 402 (33406 views)
Shortcut
     LOL [In reply to]  

For me re Thorin especially as I am enthralled, and Thranduil, if they stepped on me with those respectively amazing boots I'd squeal "oh thank you!" and just start clinging - either one would have to smack me with their sword "Get off, already!" - and then a couple of burly crewmen would haul me away with a glazed look on my face.

Of course when the judge let me out as a harmless trespasser I'd be back the next day with a clipboard, because nobody ever bothers someone who looks like they are checking something.Evil

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 10:12pm

Post #149 of 402 (33410 views)
Shortcut
     If he doesn't show up at the TABA premier... [In reply to]  

I humbly volunteer to hunt him down and drag him there myself. Giggling like an idiot the whole way of course.Wink

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 10:18pm

Post #150 of 402 (33387 views)
Shortcut
     *wiping drool off keyboard and fanning myself* [In reply to]  

Ohmigoodness, I think that just made me forget how to breathe! *swoons*

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.