The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 12:38pm

Post #101 of 402 (27722 views)
Shortcut
     I... [In reply to]  

do totally agree with you! In all points :D really want to watch the EE now! right NOW!

In Reply To
Yes, that is a superb scene full of tension,atmosphere and top notch acting but we only got half of it. There are parts of the rest of the scene in the vlogs. We got the beginning with the slow tease of his crossed thigh; his hand with the bling; the close up of the Autumn crown and silver-blonde hair and piercing sky-blue eyes with the thick, dark eyebrows. I think that gives a lot of character to his face. Why oh why did PJ and co. leave out that scene where he is draped, yes draped ! on his throne looking haughty and superior and luscious all at the same time and making snarky comments to the dwarves.Then he stands and does that super sexy cloak fling thing - oh my ! Shocked and descends the steps with perfect elegance snarking and sassing the dwarves as he goes.What were they thinking ?!!! Did they not think we would want to see that? Surely they realise how popular Thranduil has become and will restore the rest of this scene in the EE. I also want the scene where Thranduil is talking to Legolas, dressed in that gorgeous dark red cloak and holding his oak staff, to be in the EE. as we have seen so little of the Thranduil/Legolas dynamic.

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

Fionniel
The Shire

Jan 28 2014, 12:47pm

Post #102 of 402 (27650 views)
Shortcut
     The Thrandy Effect. [In reply to]  

Yep, he sure does have that effect. I can't get enough of our enigmatic Elven KingHeart - and thanks for adding me to the list. Yay !

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 12:59pm

Post #103 of 402 (27711 views)
Shortcut
     We're all in agreement... [In reply to]  

Thranduil was ripped off! And we, as viewers, were denied some fantastic Thranduil scenes--not only visually stunning ones but also some much needed character building scenes. Argh!

I hope they put all of this on the EE as it wouldn't even take up that much time (if time is the "issue").

I know I sound like a broken record, but I'm shocked and amazed they wasted the opportunity to explore the father / son dynamic. I mean, why else have Legolas in this movie? To be the jealous 3rd in a love triangle and bounce around on dwarf heads while killing orcs ala video game style? Srsly? It's the one major thing/decision I'll never understand, and it adds fuel to the fire for my dislike of a certain other character whose subplot was way too prominent, IMO. (Not to mention that Legolas would have been so much better had there been more father / son interaction v. the role he was given.)

Anyway, it makes me sad. We need a weeping emoticon... Blush

In Reply To
Yes, that is a superb scene full of tension,atmosphere and top notch acting but we only got half of it. There are parts of the rest of the scene in the vlogs. We got the beginning with the slow tease of his crossed thigh; his hand with the bling; the close up of the Autumn crown and silver-blonde hair and piercing sky-blue eyes with the thick, dark eyebrows. I think that gives a lot of character to his face. Why oh why did PJ and co. leave out that scene where he is draped, yes draped ! on his throne looking haughty and superior and luscious all at the same time and making snarky comments to the dwarves.Then he stands and does that super sexy cloak fling thing - oh my ! Shocked and descends the steps with perfect elegance snarking and sassing the dwarves as he goes.What were they thinking ?!!! Did they not think we would want to see that? Surely they realise how popular Thranduil has become and will restore the rest of this scene in the EE. I also want the scene where Thranduil is talking to Legolas, dressed in that gorgeous dark red cloak and holding his oak staff, to be in the EE. as we have seen so little of the Thranduil/Legolas dynamic.

Fionniel
The Shire

Jan 28 2014, 1:08pm

Post #104 of 402 (27720 views)
Shortcut
     EE. right now. [In reply to]  

I hear you and feel your angst, too ! lol. I just hope we don't have to wait almost a year for the DOS: EE like we did for AUJ. That will be almost impossible for me !

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 1:12pm

Post #105 of 402 (27703 views)
Shortcut
     When did they release the AUJ EE preview clips? [In reply to]  

I'm glad there are some DoS clips on YouTube. At least we get some Thranduil while we wait for the DVD's release.

In Reply To
I hear you and feel your angst, too ! lol. I just hope we don't have to wait almost a year for the DOS: EE like we did for AUJ. That will be almost impossible for me !

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 1:42pm

Post #106 of 402 (27664 views)
Shortcut
     Agreed [In reply to]  

Can you just imagine what we might have seen had it not been for the copyright issue? It makes me cry! *wails* Frown

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 1:50pm

Post #107 of 402 (27712 views)
Shortcut
     when he comes on set... [In reply to]  

people just clear out the way...
aaaaaawww

Heart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49FqUCuoqFc

Fionniel
The Shire

Jan 28 2014, 1:51pm

Post #108 of 402 (27746 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil was ripped off. [In reply to]  

I so agree with you on this. I will never understand these decisions either. I am really hoping Thranduil will be more prominent in TABA and they will treat his character with the respect that he deserves.That includes giving him his full character arc as occurred in the book. You are so correct, too, about poor Legolas. I am so annoyed about how they have reduced him to a caricature! Mad He is the king's son ! He would be his closest ally and confidant.We should be seeing a deep and meaningful conversation or two between them. Thranduil could use Legolas as a sounding board to help him come to his own conclusions about the decisions he must make. It would make for some powerful scenes especially if Legolas did not always see eye to eye with his father. I want these scenes in somewhere !

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 1:58pm

Post #109 of 402 (27605 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome Fionniel! [In reply to]  

I love LOTR Legolas for the way he comes to Aragorn's defense at the Council of Elrond, how he is saddened and bewildered by Gandalf's death in Moria and again with Boromir's passing, his mostly silent but deadly presence in defense of the fellowship, his "you look terrible" to Aragorn when he arrives at Helm's Deep, his teasing and growing friendship with Gimli capped by the beautiful "how about side by side with a friend" to him before the Black Gate. And finally being revealed in his beautiful glory as a prince during Aragorn's coronation. I will always be a Lass.

But this Lass was so taken aback by the way Legolas was treated by the filmmakers in TH. I agree with RG that they wasted a wonderful opportunity to let viewers see a father/son relationship that isn't just a military one. Oh how I'd love to hear Legolas cry "Ada! Why will you not aid [fill in the blank]!" and Thranduil reply "Ionneg, you do not understand. I would protect our realm from the Shadow and will not risk our people for the foolish actions of others". Can you just imagine?! Heart

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Jan 28 2014, 2:10pm)

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 2:00pm

Post #110 of 402 (27655 views)
Shortcut
     Love that clip! [In reply to]  

RG pointed me to it yesterday (I think it was yesterday). Love the way he slides his sword into the sheath. So smooth and elegant.

ETA: This thread is moving FAST! LOL.

(This post was edited by elf-lady on Jan 28 2014, 2:02pm)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 2:29pm

Post #111 of 402 (27664 views)
Shortcut
     His transformation.... [In reply to]  

...from Lee Pace the actor to Thranduil the Elven God is nothing short of amazing. His movements, appearance, and the manner in which he delivers the lines--Pace blew me away. (He blew all of us away!)

It's hard to marry this character up with Ned the Pie Maker. I think even Pace was taken aback when he first saw (and heard) the trailer with his voice over. I recall an interview when he said something like, "That's me!" with amazement. He truly immersed himself in the character and he certainly mastered the elven movements. It was beautifully done. That's why I get so irritated when he's overlooked in reviews and interviews, etc.

In Reply To
RG pointed me to it yesterday (I think it was yesterday). Love the way he slides his sword into the sheath. So smooth and elegant.

ETA: This thread is moving FAST! LOL.

Fionniel
The Shire

Jan 28 2014, 2:32pm

Post #112 of 402 (27605 views)
Shortcut
     Ada. [In reply to]  

Thankyou,elf-lady, it's fun to be here ! I can so imagine that. I would love to hear Legolas call Thranduil "Ada" but I would also love to hear Thranduil call Legolas" son" or the Elven equivalent. It would make their father/son relationship more personal and intimate and so, more believable. Maybe in their private time when they are not with the other elves. Oh well, let's hope we see it in one of the EE's or TABA.

Fionniel
The Shire

Jan 28 2014, 3:01pm

Post #113 of 402 (27637 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil's hair. [In reply to]  

I agree with you Eowyn of P W. That was the most poetic and stunning description of Thrandy's hair. I love how it is so long, down to his waist, but he is so masculine with it. The deep voice accentuates this. LP carries it off so well.

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 3:06pm

Post #114 of 402 (27569 views)
Shortcut
     son [In reply to]  

.. i think my son is ion-nin (i don't get the ^ correctly with the mobile) in sindarin.. awww.. i literally can hear the dialogue in my head. i think i have to search for some nice Fanfiction for that as Pj did not give us anything like that Smile

and it is sooo good to see how lively this thread is

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 3:45pm

Post #115 of 402 (27589 views)
Shortcut
     My son [In reply to]  

It seems it's ionneg (my son) in Sindarin
http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/elvish/phrases.html
http://www.realelvish.net/101_sindarin.html

Either way, I think we'd all love to hear Thranduil utter those words! Heart

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 4:07pm

Post #116 of 402 (27587 views)
Shortcut
     Wait...what? [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Moreover, Lee Pace's trippings over his costume are both irrepressibly funny and endearing Heart
thanks Pj for the EE specials.

When/where did you see LP tripping over his costume? I seem to have totally missed it.

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 28 2014, 5:15pm

Post #117 of 402 (27591 views)
Shortcut
     Not seen any tripping videos yet... [In reply to]  

but I have read an interview where he said there probably wasn't a single take of him walking up the steps to his throne, while wearing the gold robe, where he wasn't falling over it. He said it was difficult to stay looking regal when he kept tripping over his frock!

Really sorry, can't remember which one it was, but I think I read it on one of his fansites.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jan 28 2014, 5:29pm

Post #118 of 402 (27620 views)
Shortcut
     I agree that Thranduil was 'ripped off'. [In reply to]  

However, I'm afraid I do not think there should be any 'deep and meaningful' exchanges between Thranduil and Legolas. Bloom simply does not have the acting ability to portray deep and meaningful parts, as is clearly evidenced even in his performance in LotR. He was fine in that because he was part of an ensemble cast and didn't have to do anything much except shoot arrows, slide and jump (via CGI), and play with knives.

Legolas also looks considerably older than Thranduil, which makes any appearances of these two characters together seem rather ludicrous.

In Reply To
I so agree with you on this. I will never understand these decisions either. I am really hoping Thranduil will be more prominent in TABA and they will treat his character with the respect that he deserves.That includes giving him his full character arc as occurred in the book. You are so correct, too, about poor Legolas. I am so annoyed about how they have reduced him to a caricature! Mad He is the king's son ! He would be his closest ally and confidant.We should be seeing a deep and meaningful conversation or two between them. Thranduil could use Legolas as a sounding board to help him come to his own conclusions about the decisions he must make. It would make for some powerful scenes especially if Legolas did not always see eye to eye with his father. I want these scenes in somewhere !

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Jan 28 2014, 5:39pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 5:37pm

Post #119 of 402 (27582 views)
Shortcut
     Maybe we'll get the video in the DOS EE appendices then [In reply to]  

That's funny! Thanks for telling me about it and welcome to the message boards!Smile

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 5:42pm

Post #120 of 402 (27575 views)
Shortcut
     Need to liven things up... [In reply to]  

...with some more Thranduil Heart

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 5:43pm

Post #121 of 402 (27577 views)
Shortcut
     And one more for good measure... [In reply to]  

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 5:51pm

Post #122 of 402 (27564 views)
Shortcut
     Oh, and this one too.... [In reply to]  

(Might a duplicate but who cares!)

Thranduiliel
Bree

Jan 28 2014, 5:54pm

Post #123 of 402 (27567 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks... [In reply to]  

for the warm welcome! Really is great to be among fellow Thranduil appreciators - he truly is a fabulous character played by a wonderful actor. I love reading LP interviews where he talks about Thranduil, and the latest DOS Award video clips were amazing, talking about his costume and presence on the set. Can't wait to see more of him in the DOS EE!

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 5:56pm

Post #124 of 402 (27606 views)
Shortcut
     Ripping off Thranduil [In reply to]  

I respect your opinion even if I don't necessarily agree. Despite any reservations people may have about Bloom's acting chops I would still want to see more exchanges between Thranduil and Legolas (rather than say with Tauriel). More between Thranduil and Thorin would have been even better!

In Reply To
However, I'm afraid I do not think there should be any 'deep and meaningful' exchanges between Thranduil and Legolas. Bloom simply does not have the acting ability to portray deep and meaningful parts, as is clearly evidenced even in his performance in LotR. He was fine in that because he was part of an ensemble cast and didn't have to do anything much except shoot arrows, slide and jump (via CGI), and play with knives.

Legolas also looks considerably older than Thranduil, which makes any appearances of these two characters together seem rather ludicrous.

elf-lady
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 5:58pm

Post #125 of 402 (27544 views)
Shortcut
     You are too good to us RG! [In reply to]  

Nice screenshots. We need MOAR Thranduil! Heart

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.