The Thranduil Appreciation Thread...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2014, 11:46pm

Post #76 of 402 (28256 views)
Shortcut
     Oops, forgot something... [In reply to]  

Wow, it was harder to find that gif than I thought it would be, but just scroll down the page a little. It's there. http://francesandlynne.wordpress.com/...ion-of-smaug-part-2/ Oh, yes. I do love it so!

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 12:11am

Post #77 of 402 (28287 views)
Shortcut
     I'm a little conflicted (Rowan, you'll need to update your list for this one) [In reply to]  

I agree Thranduil needs to be the main elf in TABA but I still like L & T as individuals so I don't want them to go away entirely. That and I've had a powerful crush on Legolas since I first saw the LOTR movies last summer. (Rowan, you can put an asterisk next to my name on the list because I'm creating a love triangle by being a Thrandy Thrall AND a Legolas Lassie! Tongue) Seriously, the majority of the Leggy pics make me swoon nearly as much as the Thrandy pics! My fave:

And my second fave:

How about this: I'd like more Leggy/Thrandy moments in the DOS EE, plus a one or two in TABA, Tauriel can finish out her story with a limited amount of screen time(preferably without dying), but Thrandy gets the majority of the elven moments all to himself. That would work just fine for me.

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Jan 28 2014, 12:11am)

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 12:12am

Post #78 of 402 (28258 views)
Shortcut
     Either way.... [In reply to]  

...you're increasing my collection of Thranduil pics and vid clips. Laugh

I love the clip that goes with this pic but can't figure out how to upload a clip. ??? He is SO Thranduil in the clip--love how he gestures and speaks. Perfection.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 12:16am

Post #79 of 402 (28238 views)
Shortcut
     LOL [In reply to]  

Don't get me wrong.... I also love Legolas and adored him in LoTR. We've had our private chats so you know how I feel about Tauriel and her impact on Legolas in DoS. Personally, I would have preferred to see all Thranduil / Legolas interaction with no Tauriel involvement. Tongue

(I do wish they'd rethink the eye liner for DoS Legolas though.)

But I still consider you one of Thranduil's Thralls. You are in fact ENTHRALLED. But you can also be one of Legolas' Lasses. Wink

And we're in agreement re: your closing comment! (As long as Tauriel has no impact on canon character story arcs, etc.)

In Reply To
I agree Thranduil needs to be the main elf in TABA but I still like L & T as individuals so I don't want them to go away entirely. That and I've had a powerful crush on Legolas since I first saw the LOTR movies last summer. (Rowan, you can put an asterisk next to my name on the list because I'm creating a love triangle by being a Thrandy Thrall AND a Legolas Lassie! Tongue) Seriously, the majority of the Leggy pics make me swoon nearly as much as the Thrandy pics! My fave:

How about this: I'd like more Leggy/Thrandy moments in the DOS EE, plus a one or two in TABA, Tauriel can finish out her story with a limited amount of screen time(preferably without dying), but Thrandy gets the majority of the elven moments all to himself. That would work just fine for me.

(This post was edited by Rowan Greene on Jan 28 2014, 12:26am)

Cillendor
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 12:45am

Post #80 of 402 (28414 views)
Shortcut
     Ugh that was the only part about him I DIDN'T like. [In reply to]  

His real backstory is much more tragic than some silly little skirmish with the "serpents of the north", which he never actually fought. And for all the foreshadowing they've put into the Ring (which was lacking from the book), showing his father and most of their soldiers die in the Battle of the Last Alliance would have been a great way to show another, canonical parallel.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 12:51am

Post #81 of 402 (28341 views)
Shortcut
     Agreed! [In reply to]  

I didn't really get that scene or what they were trying to convey. I'd love a flashback to the Last Alliance and the losses he endured (including his father). That would give viewers much more insight into what drives Thranduil (and also fuels his isolationist policies), and it would increase the impact of his actions in TABA.

In Reply To
His real backstory is much more tragic than some silly little skirmish with the "serpents of the north", which he never actually fought. And for all the foreshadowing they've put into the Ring (which was lacking from the book), showing his father and most of their soldiers die in the Battle of the Last Alliance would have been a great way to show another, canonical parallel.

vanima ephel
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 1:09am

Post #82 of 402 (28234 views)
Shortcut
     Enthralled by, and open to being in thrall to, Thranduil [In reply to]  

Usually, it takes a pairing to get my undivided attention, but Thranduil has latched onto it all on his own. (Though he does have fantastic chemistry with Thorin, I think I know how that'll end. Unsure )

Thank you, everyone, for this thread. So many gorgeous pics and great ideas. (And I, for myself, want more of all of that in the eventual EE and final movie!)

Legolas/Gimli artwork courtesy of Brianna

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 28 2014, 1:16am

Post #83 of 402 (28317 views)
Shortcut
     Me too [In reply to]  

In fact, on my first viewing, when his face melted away, I found it really startling and distracting because it was totally unexpected and I had no idea why it happened. In fact, I missed some critical details in the next couple scenes because about all I could think for quite some time was "What the heck?!"

I've gotten past the shock factor and I now have at least seen the many unconfirmed theories that explain it so it's not so distracting, but it's the one thing about that scene that I don't like very much.

Edit: And for some odd reason, the top left gif on this page http://wifflegif.com/...35760-thranduil-gifs makes it all the more disturbingCrazy

Through the open door
-Switchfoot

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Jan 28 2014, 1:23am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jan 28 2014, 1:16am

Post #84 of 402 (28269 views)
Shortcut
     Totally agree more Thranduil and Legolas [In reply to]  

"Now, I would have welcomed more Thranduil / Legolas interaction as they so need to explore the father / son dynamic."

To me this is MUCH more interesting than whether Legolas likes Tauriel, which didn't work for me anyway - it's not as tho it was bad acting or anything, but it's some intangible thing. I BELIEVED in Thranduil. I believed in Thorin, Bilbo, and Balin. I believed in Tauriel and Kili.

But Legolas and Tauriel felt more as tho Legolas was acting (more like Tauriel and Legolas were brother and sister) - was not bad but I think interacting with Lee Pace would play to Bloom's strengths - and anyway it's an interesting theme, watching the father whose orders you always followed, who is a mighty ancient king, confronting some ancient rising darkness, and Legolas is in the middle of it too.

So maybe that is being saved for last? EL did say that TABA wasn't going to be just battle after battle.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 1:29am

Post #85 of 402 (28269 views)
Shortcut
     This is from a DoS review.... [In reply to]  

And it struck a cord with me. These conversations actually made me say "What the frick?" inside my head because I was like "WHO CARES!!!! Your kingdom is under attack, there's a dragon hanging out in Erebor, and you're wasting time on this nonsense!" Aaaarrgggghhhhhh..... Crazy I feel like they wasted such a great opportunity.

All the interactions with Thranduil, Legolas, and Tauriel. They seemed to talk more about how fond Legolas is of Tauriel than of anything that actually mattered. I never talk in the theater, but at one point I remember doing this exactly (whispered of course):

(She inserted a GIF featuring Harrison Ford saying, "Who gives a poop?" except he used a different term. Tongue )

Thranduil, you don’t have anything better to do than to discuss who Tauriel has a crush on, are you kidding me? Legolas was brought into this movie because he’s Thranduil’s son, yes? Why. Don’t. They. Act. Like. It. Why. Don’t. They. Elaborate. On. That. On the canon characters in the movie. Why are we talking about things that don’t matter!?

Source: http://boxlunches.tumblr.com/...maug-and-why-i-didnt

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jan 28 2014, 1:57am

Post #86 of 402 (28340 views)
Shortcut
     It may be a copyright issue [In reply to]  

...like the names of the blue wizards. I'm not sure, but suspect Thranduil's backstory may be in "Unfinished Tales" (with the stuff about Galadriel & Celeborn) rather than in LOTR or TH - if so, they can't use it. There's certainly some Thranduil info in UT.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 2:06am

Post #87 of 402 (28326 views)
Shortcut
     True.... [In reply to]  

A lot of his back story is in UT. Plus, there's quite a bit in the Silmarillion and maybe some in the Histories of ME too. (Not sure on the latter.)

In Reply To
...like the names of the blue wizards. I'm not sure, but suspect Thranduil's backstory may be in "Unfinished Tales" (with the stuff about Galadriel & Celeborn) rather than in LOTR or TH - if so, they can't use it. There's certainly some Thranduil info in UT.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 2:07am

Post #88 of 402 (28211 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome.... [In reply to]  

Vanima Ephel!

This channel is all Thranduil all the time. Wink

In Reply To
Usually, it takes a pairing to get my undivided attention, but Thranduil has latched onto it all on his own. (Though he does have fantastic chemistry with Thorin, I think I know how that'll end. Unsure )

Thank you, everyone, for this thread. So many gorgeous pics and great ideas. (And I, for myself, want more of all of that in the eventual EE and final movie!)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 28 2014, 2:18am

Post #89 of 402 (28230 views)
Shortcut
     I think that's what really threw me. [In reply to]  

I, too, find the general population of male movie elves too androgynous for my taste. And then this fabulous creature materializes before my eyes, larger than life on the screen...and though he is beautiful as only an elf can and should be...he spoke, and DAY-YUM! He was as masculine as Aragorn, but with better hair. And such hair! That was a hanging waterfall of moonlight on silk worthy of Henneth Annun, and fit to make even poor Barbie weep with envy! To be that beautiful and still so manly is a rare gift, and one that I always worshipappreciate.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Nimloth
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 2:19am

Post #90 of 402 (28202 views)
Shortcut
     Me! [In reply to]  

In Reply To

Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron, Roheryn*, Thranderz, (anyone else)?

Oh me! Definitely me! Blush Heart

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 2:26am

Post #91 of 402 (28181 views)
Shortcut
     Updated... [In reply to]  

Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron, Roheryn*, Thranderz, CathrineB, Bernhardina, hobbitylass, Thranduiliel, Nimloth, vanima ephel, (anyone else)?

*Also loves Thorin as in channeling Bella Swan / Katniss Everdeen and up for a love triangle. Wink

THRANDUIL RULES!!! Heart Heart Heart

Fionniel
The Shire

Jan 28 2014, 4:10am

Post #92 of 402 (28182 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil's Thralls. [In reply to]  

Oh yes. Please, pretty please, add me to the list of Thranduil's Thralls. I too, am a newbie here. I have been lurking here for quite some time.I love the intelligent, insightful, knowledgeable,polite and fun posting on these threads.Great job done by the moderators, too. I just had to delurk for this. I can't resist any longer. I was utterly enthralled by the flawless portrayal of this magnificent, majestic Elven King.He is such a strong,complex and very maligned and misunderstood character. Unfortunately, both TH movies seen so far, as great as they are, have added to this. I am really hoping he will be seen in a better light in TABA where he shows such kindness, courage and true leadership.Heart I have loved Legolas since TLOTR days, another perfect elf portrayal. I think though, that I love his daddy just a bit more. I have a thing for this royal elf family.Blush

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 6:22am

Post #93 of 402 (28178 views)
Shortcut
     my thoughts exactly! [In reply to]  

(This post was edited by Nesse on Jan 28 2014, 6:26am)

Nesse
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 6:27am

Post #94 of 402 (28154 views)
Shortcut
     Add me to that list plz [In reply to]  

CurseOfFeanor
Rivendell

Jan 28 2014, 9:15am

Post #95 of 402 (28185 views)
Shortcut
     not so nice pics.. [In reply to]  

Gosh I'm so glad that I've not seen those pics, I couldn't stand them, really .. In my headcanon he's such a lovely father to that little elfling, protecting him from all evil things out there in the vast world. That's also what I see in the "there was nothing more he could tell me"-scene. He knows of what the orc speaks and does not want his son to know, wants to protect him :)

and welcome Fionniel:)

In Reply To
Those are some of the better Thranduil + Legolas pictures I've seen. I think their beautiful too and that means a lot coming from me because I don't usually like "anime" style artwork.

It's nice that someone's finally portrayed Thranduil as a kind, loving father. A lot of the artwork I've seen of Leggy and Thrandy seems to suggest that the artist assumes Thranduil would be a bad father who's arrogance and harshness with outsiders also translates to his parenting skills (ergo, they think he'd be kind of mean and condescending to Legolas too). I really don't like those and I don't think, (given some things Lee Pace has said about Thrandy's views on the sanctity of elven life and how they would therefore raise their children) that that would be the case at all.

Obsessed with the Silmarillion, book purist & Thranduil junkie in one person ;)

Serving Middle-Earth since 1995

(This post was edited by CurseOfFeanor on Jan 28 2014, 9:16am)

Anduinel
The Shire

Jan 28 2014, 11:00am

Post #96 of 402 (28245 views)
Shortcut
     I'm generally more a fan of book!Thranduil... [In reply to]  

I will say, though that I do like that PJ took out one aspect of Thranduil's canonical backstory and massaged it make a bit more sense in context -- the racism. In the book, the Elvenking is down on all Dwarves for a jewelry commission gone sour, including his captives, though Thorin's folk weren't involved in that incident. The movie version, though, is responding to a deep insult (or possibly more, depending on what the ultimate significance of those white gems turns out to be) from a specific group of Dwarves, and he knows Thorin by sight. So, as far as the movie shows, his attitude toward Thorin's family isn't due to his hating all Dwarves, he's just got no use at all for Durin's line. I think that plays a bit better. That's how I account for Legolas' attitude as well, and reconcile the DoS version, who says he'd happily kill Thorin, with the Fellowship version, who's a little snarky, but not all that het up by Gimli's presence otherwise -- it's not that he hates all Dwarves, but he's got a decades-old grudge against the ones who (at the very least) insulted his dad and brought a dragon down on the land.

It also makes me think Thranduil's shock when Thorin starts ranting is less "How could anyone be angry with moi?" and more "WTF? On what planet were our folk still considered 'friends' after that game of keepaway he saw grandpa playing?" Wink

Fionniel
The Shire

Jan 28 2014, 11:19am

Post #97 of 402 (28179 views)
Shortcut
     Protecting Legolas. [In reply to]  

Thankyou so much. Great to be here. I am enjoying this thread immensely. I also agree about that orc interrogation scene.You could see the slow realisation in his eyes of what the orc meant. Hence his barely masked fear and cold anger. He hated the orc for directly threatening his son, so bye bye orc head!Shocked He was only doing what any self- respecting elf would do to protect his precious elfling. I am in awe of how LP can emote so much with just his eyes while keeping his body so still. Classic elf behaviour. Yet another example of how well LP really understands the elven core of his character. I also love how he had full command of the situation. When he dismissed Tauriel harshly when she lost her self control with the orc. Slicing the orc's head off without looking and without endangering his son shows just how self-disciplined he is and what an expert he is with his sword and what heightened elf senses he has. Looking forward to his deadly swordsmanship in TABA. I thought it was a great touch the way he stomped on the orcs quivering body to stop it movingSly. I like what LP said in one of his interviews about Thranduil's character: " He is not bad he is just a badass."

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 12:20pm

Post #98 of 402 (28159 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil far better than Legolas [In reply to]  

I mean, how could someone beahead an Orc more gracefully, without a hint of distress on his face and a completely effortless torsion of his body (I havent' seen his robes swirling, but they could have, and gracefully even then Wink)
I think that this feat is much more difficult than any of his darling son's in LOTR (sorry Leggy, you know how much I like you, but that's a factAngelic).

Moreover, Lee Pace's trippings over his costume are both irrepressibly funny and endearing Heart
thanks Pj for the EE specials.

Rowan Greene
Lorien

Jan 28 2014, 12:30pm

Post #99 of 402 (28107 views)
Shortcut
     Wow--a lot of people are registering JUST for Thranduil! [In reply to]  

He has that effect on people. Heart

Thranduil's Thralls: CurseOfFeanor, Eowyn of Penns Woods, elf-lady, Rowan Greene, Eruvandi, MouthofSauron, Roheryn*, Thranderz, CathrineB, Bernhardina, hobbitylass, Thranduiliel, Nimloth, vanima ephel, Fionniel, Nesse, (anyone else)?

*Also loves Thorin as in channeling Bella Swan / Katniss Everdeen and up for a love triangle. Wink

THRANDUIL RULES!!! Heart Heart Heart

Fionniel
The Shire

Jan 28 2014, 12:34pm

Post #100 of 402 (28240 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil/ Thorin scene. [In reply to]  

Yes, that is a superb scene full of tension,atmosphere and top notch acting but we only got half of it. There are parts of the rest of the scene in the vlogs. We got the beginning with the slow tease of his crossed thigh; his hand with the bling; the close up of the Autumn crown and silver-blonde hair and piercing sky-blue eyes with the thick, dark eyebrows. I think that gives a lot of character to his face. Why oh why did PJ and co. leave out that scene where he is draped, yes draped ! on his throne looking haughty and superior and luscious all at the same time and making snarky comments to the dwarves.Then he stands and does that super sexy cloak fling thing - oh my ! Shocked and descends the steps with perfect elegance snarking and sassing the dwarves as he goes.What were they thinking ?!!! Did they not think we would want to see that? Surely they realise how popular Thranduil has become and will restore the rest of this scene in the EE. I also want the scene where Thranduil is talking to Legolas, dressed in that gorgeous dark red cloak and holding his oak staff, to be in the EE. as we have seen so little of the Thranduil/Legolas dynamic.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.