Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Elrond Harbors the Heir of Isildur

WonderBroad
Lorien

Mar 4 2007, 2:29am

Post #1 of 4 (519 views)
Shortcut
Elrond Harbors the Heir of Isildur Can't Post

"'But Aragorn was only two years old when Arathorn went riding against the Orcs with the sons of Elrond, and he was slain by an orc-arrow that pierced his eye; and so proved indeed shortlived for one of his race, being but sixty years old when he fell.'

'Then Aragorn, being now the Heir of Isildur, was taken with his mother to dwell in the house of Elrond; and Elrond took the place of his father and came to love him as a son of his own.'"

The Return of the King (From The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen)

The journal Mythlore used to be published with two columns of text per page. This pen and ink drawing was printed on the far left column on the left page. Its companion piece, which I will post shortly, was printed on the far right column of the right page.

The restraints of composing a picture with long and narrow dimensions were definitely a challenge. You really couldn't put very much into a column illustration, so you had to keep it simple. This is about as simple as it gets!

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 4 2007, 3:11am

Post #2 of 4 (344 views)
Shortcut
This also looks like a stipple, [In reply to] Can't Post

although that might be the fault of the scanner again. Like the voyage of Ar-Pharaz˘n, these new ones are compositionally better than the ones you started posting. Are they more recent?

You also had fun with the robes, again - you seem to like that. I wish I could get a better feeling for what Elrond's undershirt consists of. Arago-*ahem* Estel's clothing looks to me to be more modern, though; are you seeing this as what Gilraen dressed him in, or what the Elves clad their children in? I like it otherwise, functional, if a bit modern-looking. Imladris is not likely a terribly warm climate, I don't think, so I would imagine that a young child of any race would be clothed warmly.

I also think that the background looks a good deal more decorative and like what Elves would like to live in than Thingol's tapestries.

But this is good!

Criticism I can give (not much this time!):

-Elrond's circlet is underneath his hair. How did he do that so seamlessly? It looks almost as if it is part of Elrond's head.

-Elrond's left little finger looks a little off. If it is straight, then I would think that the shading between it and Elrond's left ring finger would be different, but if it is curled, then it is too long.

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2007, 3:55am

Post #3 of 4 (341 views)
Shortcut
Aw, he looks precious! [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by diedye on Mar 4 2007, 3:55am)

WonderBroad
Lorien

Mar 4 2007, 4:34am

Post #4 of 4 (398 views)
Shortcut
It is stippling [In reply to] Can't Post

Stippling (and line) were about my only techniques in pen and ink.

>>these new ones are compositionally better than the ones you started posting. Are they more recent?

Not necessarily. Most of them have dates on them, so you can take a look.

>>Arago-*ahem* Estel's clothing looks to me to be more modern

How many modern two-year olds do you know with jewel-adorned tunics?! Really?

>>-Elrond's circlet is underneath his hair. How did he do that so seamlessly? It looks almost as if it is part of Elrond's head.

Well, the scan is bad, so some of the detail is lost. So think of it this way: Elrond is said to wear a "star on his brow", but it's not necessarily a circlet. It can be a partial circle, like a headband, that can be put on from the front, instead of the top--and thus tucked under the hair, the ends resting over the ears.

>>-Elrond's left little finger looks a little off. If it is straight, then I would think that the shading between it and Elrond's left ring finger would be different, but if it is curled, then it is too long.

It isn't straight. You can't tell that it's partially curling? It's the pinky finger--not as long as the other fingers. So it's not curling as completely around because it's shorter, and also because it's near the heel of the shoe. A heel sticks out farther than an ankle.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.